The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 19 July 2023, 03:50 AM   #1
8bc8
"TRF" Member

Nwa: 5164a

I picked up the 5164A two weeks ago and haven’t been able to take it off my wrist. Over the moon type feeling. Wearing is believing in this case, as I can’t believe how this watch has exceeded my expectations and I now understand why it’s always a top contender in the conversation for the “one watch only” collection.

A few observations:

- it is truly feather light. During summer months, I usually wear a 15500ST on a rubber strap, but for some reason this feels far lighter and even a bit more comfortable

- Does anyone else feel like the pusher orientation is a bit counterintuitive? Not necessarily a criticism, but I feel like the top pusher should move the local hand forwards and the bottom pusher should move it back

- The crown feels so robust and well designed. Though I’ve handled many Patek, this is the first one I’ve ever owned and I have to say the winding feeling is so sturdy and smooth

- A slight irk would be the clasp. Does anyone else find it a bit thick? I find myself preferring the one on the RO since it’s flatter and more comfortable when I’m doing things like typing

- Goes without saying, but this is truly a versatile watch and looks appropriate in any situation. I think it has to do with the fact that the case is very subtle and wraps around the wrist, all while the black rubber strap which can sometimes blend into looking like a dress strap from a far. I’ve found it to be a perfect match with anything I wear

Happy to hear everyone’s thoughts

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
8bc8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2023, 04:38 AM   #2
Velocity-
"TRF" Member

Congrats on the new watch!

I truly love it and feel if there’s a one and done watch it my collection this would be it. Love the size on this and I feel the thickness is just nice compared to the 5167a. Complication wise, it’s the only one I actually really need.

Gotta also agree with you on the clasp. For some reason the clasp always feels like there’s something pressing into my wrist every time I put it on after wearing other watches. Then it takes me a few hours to get used to it. The 15510 clasp is definitely more comfy for me. The clasp on a Rolex or AP with this watch will make it absolutely perfect. That being said, it’s still one of the tops in my collection, due to practical complication, really accurate movement (love the 26-330) and the versatility of this watch to go with any outfit!

Enjoy it in good health!
Velocity- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2023, 01:21 PM   #3
kh428
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP|VC|Jaeger|Rolex
Beautiful watch!
You mentioned it was your first Patek, but you were able to get it off the AD? WOW
kh428 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2023, 01:23 PM   #4
Ichiran
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Mostly blue dials
Congratulations!
Ichiran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2023, 02:35 PM   #5
bogdoc
"TRF" Member

Congratulations!
bogdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2023, 04:26 PM   #6
Oilboy26
"TRF" Member

Wow!! Lovely man congrats!! looking to add this down the line!
Oilboy26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2023, 06:15 PM   #7
IamJacky
"TRF" Member

Congratulations! Absolutely love the 5164A, enjoy!
Old 19 July 2023, 07:28 PM   #8
Ashj52
"TRF" Member

Congrats!!!
Old 19 July 2023, 09:24 PM   #9
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
Congratulations.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2023, 10:41 PM   #10
tuantana
"TRF" Member

How do I get one ��
tuantana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2023, 11:09 PM   #11
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Congratulations, looks great on you.

That’s be a dream watch for me, enjoy it
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2023, 03:11 AM   #12
RyanO
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: LVc
Own and love it. Huge congrats on the best GMT in the business IMO. It’s also the most comfortable watch I own.

RyanO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2023, 04:11 AM   #13
DavidSB
2024 Pledge Member

First, welcome to the 5164a club.

On your observations:

It and my 5167a are my most comfortable watches with the 5167a a bit more since its thinner and slightly less prone to contact.

I agree on the pusher orientation - to my brain they're counter intuitive, seem reversed and I often press the wrong one first.

I wore my 5167a for years before getting the 5164a so I'm used to the clasp and don't find it that different from Rolex. But I've always removed my watches before typing and converted my PPs to deployant clasps so I never hesitate to take them off and have the added benefits of less risk of dropping and straps last much longer without the prong buckle crease.

I've worn my Aquanauts from dress-down to dress-up and even with black tropical straps they always seem perfect for the look.

And a few of mine:

I love the depth of the dial. It's visually more interesting than the 5167a, really draws me in and I often find myself admiring a bit longer.

Even though Aquanauts have become more identifiable in recent years, they're much less so than my Rolexes so I really like the "under the radar" look to the non-watch enthusiast public.

I hope you enjoy your watch as much as I enjoy mine and wear it in good health.
DavidSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2023, 03:26 PM   #14
7sins
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8bc8 View Post
I picked up the 5164A two weeks ago and haven’t been able to take it off my wrist. Over the moon type feeling. Wearing is believing in this case, as I can’t believe how this watch has exceeded my expectations and I now understand why it’s always a top contender in the conversation for the “one watch only” collection.

A few observations:

- it is truly feather light. During summer months, I usually wear a 15500ST on a rubber strap, but for some reason this feels far lighter and even a bit more comfortable

- Does anyone else feel like the pusher orientation is a bit counterintuitive? Not necessarily a criticism, but I feel like the top pusher should move the local hand forwards and the bottom pusher should move it back

- The crown feels so robust and well designed. Though I’ve handled many Patek, this is the first one I’ve ever owned and I have to say the winding feeling is so sturdy and smooth

- A slight irk would be the clasp. Does anyone else find it a bit thick? I find myself preferring the one on the RO since it’s flatter and more comfortable when I’m doing things like typing

- Goes without saying, but this is truly a versatile watch and looks appropriate in any situation. I think it has to do with the fact that the case is very subtle and wraps around the wrist, all while the black rubber strap which can sometimes blend into looking like a dress strap from a far. I’ve found it to be a perfect match with anything I wear

Happy to hear everyone’s thoughts

Congrats! What size is your wrist?
Richard Mille RG RM030 || Richard Mille RM72ti || AP 26240 50TH Green Royal Oak Chrono || AP Royal Oak Blue JUMBO SS 15202ST || AP ROO Diver Green 15720ST || ♕ Rolex Platinum Daytona Diamond 116506 || Cartier Santos
7sins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2023, 08:17 PM   #15
rmlovett1
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: YTBD
Congratulations!
rmlovett1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2023, 08:49 PM   #16
8bc8
"TRF" Member

Thanks all! A few responses:

@7sins I really should know but I don't. Used to be really skinny but has since grown significantly in a bad way haha

@DavidSB have you tried using a wrist rest next to your keyboard? I usually use one to mitigate scratches

@kh428 I got really really really lucky. I reaffirmed my strong interest and desire a few times but never chased for the watch if that helps

On a separate note, does anyone know the process for getting a green/blue band or additional bands nowadays? My understanding from an AD in Sydney was that I need to bring the watch to the boutique along with my papers to verify that it's mine, but they will only let you get the color the watch originally came with. Once approved by Geneva, they'll send over the strap, cut it at the boutique, then dispose the old strap. Is this understanding correct?
8bc8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2023, 11:33 PM   #17
brucethemanlee
"TRF" Member

Congrats!
brucethemanlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2023, 12:54 AM   #18
fredfiga
"TRF" Member

there has never been a green strap for the 5164. the green was from a special edition of the 5167 and doesn't fit perfectly the 5164. nowadays it's discontinued and very, very rare and expensive. the blue is from the 5164 advanced research. Patek won't sell it if you don't have the real deal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8bc8 View Post
Thanks all! A few responses:

@7sins I really should know but I don't. Used to be really skinny but has since grown significantly in a bad way haha

@DavidSB have you tried using a wrist rest next to your keyboard? I usually use one to mitigate scratches

@kh428 I got really really really lucky. I reaffirmed my strong interest and desire a few times but never chased for the watch if that helps

On a separate note, does anyone know the process for getting a green/blue band or additional bands nowadays? My understanding from an AD in Sydney was that I need to bring the watch to the boutique along with my papers to verify that it's mine, but they will only let you get the color the watch originally came with. Once approved by Geneva, they'll send over the strap, cut it at the boutique, then dispose the old strap. Is this understanding correct?
fredfiga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 July 2023, 08:05 AM   #19
DavidSB
2024 Pledge Member

It's not a problem to get additional original black straps. Your AD can order them, install, cut-to-size and you keep the old one. I bought one from HSWA in NYC in June and it was about $250USD.
Old 20 February 2024, 09:41 AM   #20
Pcbos
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velocity- View Post

Gotta also agree with you on the clasp. For some reason the clasp always feels like there’s something pressing into my wrist every time I put it on after wearing other watches. Then it takes me a few hours to get used to it. The 15510 clasp is definitely more comfy for me. The clasp on a Rolex or AP with this watch will make it absolutely perfect. That being said, it’s still one of the tops in my collection, due to practical complication, really accurate movement (love the 26-330) and the versatility of this watch to go with any outfit!

Enjoy it in good health!

Had this exact issue and was dismayed at how uncomfortable it was. Ended up reversing the clasp and all of a sudden the 5164a is extremely comfortable. Would recommend trying this if you feel the clasp is digging into your wrist.
Pcbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2024, 09:11 AM   #21
inxs777
"TRF" Member

Watch: 15305ST
Or you get the previous/old clasp, I hab both the older one is 100x more comfortable. The new one has the little bump in the middle that pushes into the wrist. What I noticed too is that with the new clasp you have a little gap in the clasp when you look on the Calatrava cross on the back of your wrist, that I never had with the previous one..
inxs777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2024, 10:12 AM   #22
Harry_S
"TRF" Member

One of my favourite Aquanauts. Welldone sir ��
Harry_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2024, 09:20 PM   #23
l_chissle
"TRF" Member

I also think the +/- time zone pushers are the wrong way. I definitely go the wrong way first and then go the correct way.
l_chissle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 March 2024, 12:24 AM   #24
dardeca
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex, Patek
Does the movement hack on the 5164?
dardeca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 March 2024, 12:59 AM   #25
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
Super watch. Congrats.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 March 2024, 02:33 AM   #26
StellarisCollection
Banned

Absolute perfection! Wear it in great health!
StellarisCollection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 March 2024, 11:14 AM   #27
RollingInTheDeep
"TRF" Member

First, congrats! My PP "one watch only" as the Daytona (116500) is my one watch only Rolex .

This as a first PP has to be longer odds than someone walking into an AD and picking up a Daytona at retail with no history.
RollingInTheDeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 March 2024, 11:27 AM   #28
DavidSB
2024 Pledge Member

My 324 movement does not hack and I think the most recent 330 movement (2023?) does.
Old 7 March 2024, 02:02 AM   #29
l_chissle
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidSB View Post
My 324 movement does not hack and I think the most recent 330 movement (2023?) does.
Correct, 330 has been out since 2022 based on the one I was allocated
l_chissle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 March 2024, 03:23 AM   #30
forg
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Hulk, BLRO
Congratulations
forg is offline   Reply With Quote