The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 8 March 2008, 05:07 AM   #1
skyjumper03
"TRF" Member

Decisions: Omega (x 3) v Blanpain v Breuget

I''m new to the watch world ... I'm currently active duty military, but am soon leaving to go to b-school. The only watches I currently own are a polar heart rate monitor, a cheap timex digital work watch I bought in Iraq, and a Suunto (also a work watch).

Being that I will soon be wearing suits and shirts with buttons on the sleeve (tragic, I know!), I'm trying to find a watch I like, but will work in several environments (weekends, beach, suit/tie, normal work attire, business casual, etc.).

I have narrowed the choice (based on money) to 5 watches:

Omega Speedy Pro (Reference 3576.50.00: moon phase, clear case back, black face, and bracelet)

Omega Broad Arrow GMT (Reference 3581.50.00; black face/bracelet)

Omega Seamaster Planet Ocean Chrono (deciding between the two black bezeled options)

Breguet Type XXI Flyback Chrono (comes with black strap and bracelet)

Blancpain Leman Flyback Monaco Edition Chrono w/white face and clear case back

The Breguet Type XXI is my initial favorite ... good size (around 43mm), fairly thin, classy yet sporty.

O PO Chrono is next, but I worry this watch would be TERRIBLE in business attire (the 45mm case fits my wrist perfectly, but I didn;t realize how big it was until I compared it to a Breitling Chronomat ... WOW, it DWARFS the Breitling, which is pretty impressive)

Next up is the Blancpain ... absolutely beautiful piece (as a great price), and would go well in almost any environment, EXCEPT perhaps doing something active (I'd be scared to scrap it or damage the movement). Also, at 38mm, I'm afraid it would look like I put on my sister's watch! Not always a bad thing (it would be much easier to pull off in a suit or even a tux vs. the Omega PO), but I'd be afraid it looks silly (when I look at it)

Next up is the Omega BA GMT ... automatic, VERY comfortable on the wrist ... I like the silver bezel (vs. the black one) ... it felt small (thought it was next to the PO; it is 42mm) but VERY comfortable and thin ... again, a piece that could transcend environments.

Finally, the Speed Pro. This disappointed me ... I still love it, but I liked it more in pictures than in person, and the winding part turns me off a bit.

So, after reading more than many would care to, any recommendation regarding size, or about the reliability of the above models, or if I go one route (i.e. Omega) should I wait until I find used (the Breguet and Blanpain are preowned ... if not, I'd just get a SS Daytona for the money) model available?

Again, new to the game, so feedback is appreciated!

Chris
skyjumper03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 March 2008, 05:59 AM   #2
roadcarver
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16600
The Planet Ocean chrono is a monster of a watch. It "may" be harder to slip it under a shirt cuff. Also, the PO has dual AR coating - will this bother you?

The Broadarrow would be a good watch as it has the FP33xx movement, very accurate, 55 hr Power Reserve.

I'm not familiar with the other watches, sorry I cannot provide any feedback on those.
Old 8 March 2008, 08:27 AM   #3
haakon59
"TRF" Member

If you are judging this based on reliability, etc., then any of them will be fine. Personally, I like the Breguet too, but you have to remember that a Breguet is going to cost you a great deal more for maintenance than an Omega. Omega is giong to charge you around $400.00 in general and have the co-axial escapement which means much less frequency of maintenance, maybe every 7-8 years while most brands are better serviced every 5 years. The Breguet on the other hand, will likely cost you $1,000.00 or more each time and will need 5 year maintenance visits. You decision would depend on how big your wallet is going to be in the new job.

In terms of quality, exclusiveness of the brand, etc., the Blancpain and Breguet are several steps above Omega. Yet Omegas are known for their durability and design. My choice would be the Omega Broad Arrow GMT, which has a Frederik Piguet movement and is a nice generally dressy choice. If you have the money, obviously, Blancpain and Breguet would be elite brands and much more special.
haakon59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 March 2008, 09:17 AM   #4
Fatso
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT 1675
Breguet Type XXI Flyback Chrono
Fatso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 March 2008, 10:03 AM   #5
DSJ
"TRF" Member

Watch: your step!
The Planet Ocean is also available in 42mm.
DSJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 March 2008, 11:24 AM   #6
SLRdude
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSJ View Post
The Planet Ocean is also available in 42mm.
not as a chrono though. If they'd make one i'd get it tomorrow.
Member # 87
SLRdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 March 2008, 07:52 PM   #7
Jedi
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16750
Well, Chris, welcome to TRF and you've got an interesting dilemma there, something a few of us face here often

Here's my 2cts worth on a couple of things you raised in your post.

Hand-winding:

This should not be seen as a step back in terms of horological technology. I prefer to see it as an opportunity to interact with the timepiece on a regular basis, rather than relying on rather impersonal wrist movements to keep it ticking. Perhaps this notion is rather romantic, but I can get sentimental sometimes. I look forward to winding this one particular watch that I have and seeing the power reserve climb back up to full. This watch incidentally, is 38mm...

...which brings me to another point re: size

I have three watches at 38mm. The rest are all 40mm, with one at 43mm. The 38's are a refreshing change for me, and I know people who swear by them. I have an automatic Omega Speedmaster that is 38mm, bought when I was 18, and I still wear it these days. That piece worked well with just about everything I wore, including suits (thank God a suit these days is a rare occurence).

At the end of it, I would say from your list, Blancpain or Breguet, but there have been some reports on other forums about problems with Blancpain in terms of reliability and after sales service.

This is my watch. There are many like it but this one is mine...

Flickr
Blog
Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 March 2008, 12:17 AM   #8
SPACE-DWELLER
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, of course!
I'd get the Omega Speedmaster Pro, moonphase.

LocTite 221: The Taming Of The Screw...
SPACE-DWELLER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 March 2008, 07:05 AM   #9
Ed Rooney
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sea-Dweller 16600
I don't think any of the Omegas would work well under a suit cuff. Maybe occasionally, but I wouldn't want to have to deal with it every day. The 2294.52 Seamaster chrono has a look that I really like, and it would probably sit a little flatter on the wrist.
Ed Rooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 March 2008, 03:44 PM   #10
skyjumper03
"TRF" Member

Thanks for all the advice ... based on what I'm reading, I'm sitting tight until Basel (not really expecting anything grand in my price range, but you never know!) and will make the decision soon after ... I'm sure much to the dismay of the vendors I am dealing with!

I should probably be smart and actually wear a collared shirt (with sleeves buttoned, no less!) to try them on. Jedi, you're a lucky man! I look forward to that day!

It's a good thing I'm not in a hurry to buy; maybe one will force me to make a decision along the way ...

chris
Old 9 March 2008, 03:49 PM   #11
Jedi
"TRF" Member

In terms of price point, your initial selection covers the whole range from mid-luxury through to high end.

I don't have the Blancpain price list handy at the moment, but from memory, the BP Flyback is around US10,000 and the Omega Speedy Pro is around US3,600.00.

The Breguet's aren't too far away either.

Anyone else with an idea for pricing??

But if you're looking at this range, perhaps look at some Rolex which fit right in the middle. But if you're not into Rolex, no problem

Flickr
Blog
Old 10 March 2008, 01:47 AM   #12
skyjumper03
"TRF" Member

Lee,

You're right ... I am looking to but the BP and the Breguet somewhat used (reputable dealer) that offers a significant discount oven an AD. I realize the risks inherent, but I did research and these guys are beyond legit legit (plus it's not an internet purchase). The BP is hands down the best deal and my initial inclination, except for the size. I'm 5'9, 180, and gym it every day. I'm definitely not the biggest guy in the world, but I don't want to look like a gorilla in a tutu!

I'm not against Rolex, but the one I like the best (Daytona) is out of my price range right now. I can't bring myself to paying more than retail for almost again ... damn my internet generation! I also really like the GMT IIcs (apparently one of the few here), but at the price, even if I got it new from an AD, I'd rather go a little more exotic, and the resale market in those is nonexistent (from a discount perspective). I liked the Sub LV, but my fiancee intervened with a large "hell no" (apparently green-ss is not her thing).

The other Rolexs feel somewhat wimpy vs. the maxi-dial versions (which is part of the waiting game ... see if the YM or the Sub go enamel for the former, enamel and maxi dial for the latter). The other issue is with so many fakes, I don't feel like even dealing with the issue. That, and to me at least, Rolex is a high visibility brand ... Omega/BP/Breguet are not (well, BP and Breguet are, but not to most people).

My notional range is from 0 to around $7k ... my preference is around $3k to $5k. Omega's draw to me was that they are relatively cheap (vs. Rolex-level watches), very accurate, and well made. Not the most expensive in the world, but could be a good tool or everyday watch in most situations.
Old 10 March 2008, 01:56 AM   #13
Jedi
"TRF" Member

The current Omega's are all coming out with the co-axial movement, and as a first for a serial production brand, it makes good horological sense.

From a practicality point of view apart from durability and sportiness, the GMT-IIC may not be attractive on the 'used watch' purchase front, but will hold it's value better over an Omega or Blancpain. Then again, if green is not her thing, what about a classic Sub or SubDate? Understated on a NATO strap, but with plenty of bling potential, and an icon to boot.

What year is the Blancpain? You should do a search on Timezone to have a gloss over the technical issues threads.

Flickr
Blog