The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 12 December 2019, 07:23 AM   #1
chizchiz
"TRF" Member

Service HELP for my 233...

Looking for the advice of the forum on the servicing of my 233 (dot dial). Fang started getting stuck (not always), and then I was encountering resistance changing the hour, so sent it in to PAM for service/estimate. Here's where things get tricky.....

The estimate was very reasonable and included many "complimentary" parts including replacement of the hand set, hands, dial, barrel, and main plate. When I called for clarification and specifically to ensure that I could retain the dot dial, I was informed that it was not possible as the workings of the barrel and main plate don't sync with the dot dial and that would also be updated to the newer am/pm.

This is a huge bummer to me as I bought this 233 because I love the dot dial, and not sure I'm willing to give that up. I know there are others that have had 233s serviced in the past WITHOUT having to replace the face, but it sounds like the continued upgrades now will not work with the dot dial.

So, what do I do? Do I have them send the watch back and try to find a watchmaker who can service it while retaining the dial (is that even possible with the parts out there now)? Do I just suck it up and have them put on the new am/pm and have a perfectly functioning watch under warranty with all parts? And if I do, should I just put it up for sale given that I'll have the proof that its in perfect mechanical condition, just serviced, with warranty?

Appreciate the advice!

Missing my 233 :(

Chris
chizchiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 December 2019, 08:46 AM   #2
rootbeer7
"TRF" Member

There was a problem with some of the early dot dials PR marker getting stuck. I have a first year one and it looks like my dial was one of the early replacements. It seems strange that they need to change everything. Perhaps speak to a local watchmaker, or try and source a replacement dial.
Old 12 December 2019, 12:42 PM   #3
thsiao
"TRF" Member

Weird. I had my 233 dot dial serviced 1-2 years ago because my hour hand was stuck and they did not replace the dial. Like you, I purchased my 233 because of the dot dial so changing to the am/pm dial would not be cool.
Old 12 December 2019, 10:00 PM   #4
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
I would have the work done by Panerai as recommended and get the watch back and wear it and see if I liked it and could live with it. The 233 has had issues over the years and while i appreciate the watch and love the looks, I have stayed away from ownership. Once you have the repairs and the documentation from Panerai it should be easy to sell. There are so many watches from Panerai and other manufactures that appeal to me that while I would miss a favorite watch, I could find something else that I like. Keep us posted on what you decide.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 December 2019, 10:58 PM   #5
chizchiz
"TRF" Member

Thanks for all of the advice so far. I've pushed back pretty hard on them so far (and as a side note everyone I've spoken with there couldn't be nicer, has given me all the time I've asked for in answering questions, and is really trying to work with me), but its not seeming like they have much of an alternative at this point.

I'm not put off at all by the am/pm....but I did specifically search out the dot dial (less than 2 years ago), so still want to see what I can do to keep it at this point.

Thanks again!
chizchiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 December 2019, 12:19 AM   #6
pdnb
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5726, 5212
Big fan of dot dial... my first panerai! interesting that they couldn’t replace the dial with a newer dot dial with slightly larger slot for the Fang... I got the 317 and it only has the pm/am dials (atleast the later versions) so didn’t have a choice but I don’t mind the extra hand from the pm/am dial..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
pdnb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 December 2019, 06:51 AM   #7
rootbeer7
"TRF" Member

Pm sent
Old 14 December 2019, 02:07 AM   #8
Fabrice M
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: This and that...
Quote:
Originally Posted by chizchiz View Post
Looking for the advice of the forum on the servicing of my 233 (dot dial). Fang started getting stuck (not always), and then I was encountering resistance changing the hour, so sent it in to PAM for service/estimate. Here's where things get tricky.....

The estimate was very reasonable and included many "complimentary" parts including replacement of the hand set, hands, dial, barrel, and main plate. When I called for clarification and specifically to ensure that I could retain the dot dial, I was informed that it was not possible as the workings of the barrel and main plate don't sync with the dot dial and that would also be updated to the newer am/pm.

This is a huge bummer to me as I bought this 233 because I love the dot dial, and not sure I'm willing to give that up. I know there are others that have had 233s serviced in the past WITHOUT having to replace the face, but it sounds like the continued upgrades now will not work with the dot dial.

So, what do I do? Do I have them send the watch back and try to find a watchmaker who can service it while retaining the dial (is that even possible with the parts out there now)? Do I just suck it up and have them put on the new am/pm and have a perfectly functioning watch under warranty with all parts? And if I do, should I just put it up for sale given that I'll have the proof that its in perfect mechanical condition, just serviced, with warranty?

Appreciate the advice!

Missing my 233 :(

Chris
Who did the estimate? and who did you talk to? Did you try Hyde Park Jewelry in Cherry Creek? The are a Panerai AD and have a pretty good in house repair center.
Fabrice M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2019, 07:32 PM   #9
jagwap
"TRF" Member

Watch: IWC IW389001
My 233 dot has been back 3 times: stuck fang, just stopped and stuck jumping hour.

I would hate to lose the dot dial. However Panerai changed from the dot to AM/PM for a reason, and now maybe they have a policy of changing to it avoid further grief. Or no more spares for the dot.

I think the dot is cursed by being the first manufacture. It seems the world of watches it does not pay to be an early adopter.
jagwap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 December 2019, 01:00 PM   #10
fizz54
"TRF" Member

That's unfortunate, I just sent my 233 back for service cause the hour and GMT hands weren't aligned. I was never swayed enough toward the Dot, so I chose to go new with the AM/PM just so I wouldn't have to go through a rebuild a few years later. Hearing this, I'm happy with the choice I made, but it's a little disappointing that Panerai basically gave up on servicing the older models for a swap of the new design.
fizz54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 December 2019, 11:43 PM   #11
Ravager135
"TRF" Member

You have the answers you need in so far as preserving the dot dial. That said, if Panerai made the recommendation to me that it would need to be switched out, I'd go with it. That's just me. I actually prefer the AM/PM subdial. For me, it gives the watch a more "technical" look to accompany the GMT function and power reserve indicator. I always felt the dot dial was "cartoonish." This is just my opinion.
Ravager135 is offline   Reply With Quote