The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Ω Omega Discussion Forum

Old 3 November 2019, 04:02 AM   #1
Roll the Lex
"TRF" Member

Advice/experience with titanium PO

So I dropped into the local Omega AD-

The Titanium PO which I previously thought was off the list was the surprise of the visit. But it seems like it's fairly rare through my internet searches. How rare is it?

Also, any issues with the titanium durability- it seems like this material and how it holds up varies on grade, finishing, etc. So how does Omega do with this?

The other concern I have with this watch is the bezel- the orange is apparently rubber? Any issues with durability on this end?

Roll the Lex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 November 2019, 05:01 AM   #2
csj
"TRF" Member

Supposably no issues with the orange "vulcanized" rubber on the bezel. I don't have this watch but also heavily considered it and had many questions about the slight bit of orange rubber in the bezel. Have yet to hear anything negative about it. Its a great looking watch and very light. The adjustable clasp is also amazing to say the least!

I am not sure how the titanium holds up, but I believe Omega uses grade 5 titanium which is the highest quality. There should be no issues with its longevity in any respect.

Also, this watch is NOT rare. It is available in the display case at pretty much all Omega boutiques and authorized dealers, usually on a rubber strap, but the bracelet is easy to find as well. If purchasing from an AD (which I would recommend) you should be getting at least 10% off MSRP.

Hope this helps!
csj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 November 2019, 10:17 AM   #3
Roll the Lex
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by csj View Post
Supposably no issues with the orange "vulcanized" rubber on the bezel. I don't have this watch but also heavily considered it and had many questions about the slight bit of orange rubber in the bezel. Have yet to hear anything negative about it. Its a great looking watch and very light. The adjustable clasp is also amazing to say the least!

I am not sure how the titanium holds up, but I believe Omega uses grade 5 titanium which is the highest quality. There should be no issues with its longevity in any respect.

Also, this watch is NOT rare. It is available in the display case at pretty much all Omega boutiques and authorized dealers, usually on a rubber strap, but the bracelet is easy to find as well. If purchasing from an AD (which I would recommend) you should be getting at least 10% off MSRP.

Hope this helps!
Awesome- thanks!

Are you still considering it? Or did you pick out something else?
Is there anybody with this watch here?
Could I be the first?

The one thing that bothers me about it somewhat is the thickness of the watch. I'll have to go back and see if it will fit under a shirt cuff since it's going to be worn in an office.

It just seems rare- usually if you google a XXXXX watch review, you'll get loads- ablogtowatch, hodinkee, watchtime, various forums. This particular model doesn't seem to be popular among buyers.

I think for a PO than can lose up to 50% of its value and is priced at a $2300 premium over the SS, I don't see too many people actually buying it. The SS model at $6550 x 15% discount- man you really can't complain about it too much.

I thought the numbers on the grey part of the bezel got washed out depending on the viewing angle.

At first I wrote the watch off since I have a slim wrist but it looked fine when I tried it on. I love it since it's rare(to me), got a clear caseback, is made of Ti, and it's an Omega Diver- have a long personal history with them, so have a soft spot for it.

The sensible side of me says to buy a Rolex diver, but I've never been sensible about this stuff- I always buy the non-investment pieces…

Yup this Omega with a $$$$ price premium and a 50% drop in value is calling my name. This is exactly up my alley…
Old 3 November 2019, 12:11 PM   #4
TimeRookie
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710BLNR
I just traded a stainless 42mm 8500 movement for the Ti 42mm 8500 movement Planet Ocean. I really like the 42mm and in Ti it’s really comfortable. If you look, you can normally find them used in good shape for around $4250 US. Have a look if you’re interested. Here’s a photo to entice.......
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg C16E1C56-BC66-4D19-9609-D63666105825.jpeg (163.3 KB, 150 views)
File Type: jpeg 51F32F0B-056A-4787-A59B-47B7FA411F59.jpeg (149.5 KB, 151 views)
Pelagos 42mm
Explorer II 226570
TimeRookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 November 2019, 01:19 PM   #5
csj
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roll the Lex View Post
Awesome- thanks!

Are you still considering it? Or did you pick out something else?
Is there anybody with this watch here?
Could I be the first?

The one thing that bothers me about it somewhat is the thickness of the watch. I'll have to go back and see if it will fit under a shirt cuff since it's going to be worn in an office.

It just seems rare- usually if you google a XXXXX watch review, you'll get loads- ablogtowatch, hodinkee, watchtime, various forums. This particular model doesn't seem to be popular among buyers.

I think for a PO than can lose up to 50% of its value and is priced at a $2300 premium over the SS, I don't see too many people actually buying it. The SS model at $6550 x 15% discount- man you really can't complain about it too much.

I thought the numbers on the grey part of the bezel got washed out depending on the viewing angle.

At first I wrote the watch off since I have a slim wrist but it looked fine when I tried it on. I love it since it's rare(to me), got a clear caseback, is made of Ti, and it's an Omega Diver- have a long personal history with them, so have a soft spot for it.

The sensible side of me says to buy a Rolex diver, but I've never been sensible about this stuff- I always buy the non-investment pieces…

Yup this Omega with a $$$$ price premium and a 50% drop in value is calling my name. This is exactly up my alley…
I technically am still considering it I guess. I got to handle it in the flesh last week for the first time and it reignited the itch. I haven't picked out anything else, however the Aqua Terra world timer is looking like one hell of a watch.

As far as the thickness goes... I've had a Planet Ocean before so I am used to the thickness and don't find it an issue. I never wear dress shirts so can't comment as to how it will fit under a cuff.

I think that there are just so many Planet Ocean variants that this is one that you just don't see often, mainly because of the titanium and the heftier price tag that comes with it compared to the steel versions. Maybe also because Omega has left the big industry shows, so most releases are now more under the radar except for LE Speedmasters or super unique pieces it seems.

Here are some quality reviews by Tim Mosso of the exact watch. One on bracelet and one on strap.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5JLETOYNYi0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ja-uk7mO-JM

The only Rolex diver I would take over this would be the Seadweller 43mm to be honest. But they are two different animals and the Seadweller is very, very heavy. I personally think this watch is every bit as good and durable as a standard Submariner if not better once you factor in Omega's service which I have had to utilize once before (and the price and availability of course). The Planet Ocean also has several OEM strap options which is always huge for me.

If you are fine with the lack of value retention then I would say go for it! That is really the only down side of Omega in my opinion. Plus it would come with a discount where as any Rolex dive watch for the foreseeable future will come with a long wait or a grey market premium to acquire now. But then again, my philosophy has always been if you can really afford these expensive toys then you shouldn't be worried about resale value, and thus buy what speaks to you more.

Hope that help!
Old 3 November 2019, 01:35 PM   #6
hedet
"TRF" Member

I have the older blue version as well. It’s a phenomenal watch. I really think the PO is best in titanium, as the decreased weight really helps this particular watch a lot. I had the 42mm SS version and the weight got to me after a while. The grade 5 titanium resists scratches better than stainless steel but keeps a polish like SS. I recommend it!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
hedet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 November 2019, 05:36 PM   #7
kungpow
"TRF" Member

A word of caution

I love Ti Omegas and have previously owned 2 of them - the 42mm Ti Planet Ocean with the blue dial, and the 38.5mm Ti Aqua Terra Good Planet. Both were awesome, and I enjoyed wearing them immensely. I don’t post much but figured I had experience with Ti Omegas, so I thought I’d reply.

My word of caution is that they may not polish your watch at service. I brought my Good Planet into an Omega Service Center (the real deal, not an independent) and wanted to have it regulated and polished. I had worn it for several years (near daily), so I figured it would be nice to have it cleaned up a bit.

Regulating was no problem because it was under warranty. Polishing I was happy to pay for and asked for an estimate. I don’t recall the exact amount, but I remember it was about $2000...they wanted to replace the whole bracelet. When I asked why, they simply said they do not polish titanium. FYI - I’m not harsh on my watches, just typical daily wear - no nicks, no dings, just light scratching, and nothing that can be felt with a fingernail.

Oh maybe one more word of caution. I don’t have experience with the rubber on those new PO inserts, but if you Ever want to replace an insert through the service center, you will need to replace the whole bezel, both the Ti bezel + insert itself. I’ve requested a new insert for 2 different POs, and both times I was told I need to buy the bezel as well.
kungpow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 November 2019, 11:38 PM   #8
Roll the Lex
"TRF" Member

Great info keep it coming!

I’m not so concerned with polishing since I have an anti-polishing stance.

Good to know the bracelet replacement is $2k. Which is ok for me. With the adjustability, I should get a good fit to minimize stretch and it should last forever. I wore my old seamaster like a bracelet and it was fine.

Rolex divers- the only ones I like are the bluesy, the smurf, and the yg bluesy. I’ll admit I like the value retention of the others but that’s about it.

The thickness is the issue. I’ve gotta go back to the ad to check it out again. I remember trying on the 39.5mm PO last year and it seemed fine to me but this one I think will be thicker. I still might be ok with it since it has a lot of what I want in a watch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 4 November 2019, 01:54 AM   #9
fskywalker
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Is Ticking !
Advice/experience with titanium PO

I had the 42mm PO in titanium (blue dial) and also the 39.5mm PO in SS (black dial). The thickness of the 8500 movement was what made me switch to the 39.5mm SS model as found it too thick for my taste. I later sold the 39.5mm as decided was too similar to my sub 16610. I currently have an older Seamaster 150th anniversary titanium, which is both very thin and very light

Zenith 02.470.405
Henry Archer Eclipse

2FA security enabled
fskywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 November 2019, 06:46 AM   #10
csj
"TRF" Member

Wow... good to know that Omega won't polish titanium. I must say I am a bit surprised as I am under the impression that it can be done and that higher end brands (like AP for example) will indeed polish/refinish a titanium case at least (not sure about bracelet but I don't see why not).

Although I don't believe in a watch being polished at every service, I do like the idea of having a material that can be polished 10,15,20 years down the line. If you polish your watch at every service you will likely run into the max limit for polishes and then the case/bracelet will start to loss it edges, sharpness, overall shape, etc. I have been told that for AP that limit is around 4-5 polishes/refinishes at the MAX, so as a general rule of thumb I say that the polish limit for any brand is 3-5 within its lifetime.

This was incredibly helpful information for me, as it looks like I now am no longer considering the titanium Planet Ocean because of this. Aqua Terra world time with its plethora of strap options I think it may be... :)
Old 4 November 2019, 06:49 AM   #11
csj
"TRF" Member

OP, with regards to the adjustability of the Planet Ocean's bracelet, I must say its arguably the best I have seen on any watch. The only better adjustment I have seen may be what is on the Submariner and Seadweller (Glidelock on the submariner and something else on the Seadweller, they are slightly different but both great) however I think Omega's is much easier to use with the simple "Push" button under neath the clasp and every bit as solid.