The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 14 March 2017, 09:41 PM   #1
Carrera911
"TRF" Member

Watch: Bluesy (126613LB)
Car sales men in Florida aren't looking to sell cars

I've recently moved to the US and am in the market to buying a new car.
Was looking around the 40k budget at a Chevrolet Camaro or Ford Mustang.
Visited a couple agencies here in FL selling them brand new and had a pretty bad experience on both of them.

Initially I went to Chevrolet with a buddy. My buddy (who's a local) said they immediately stereotyped us as people who can't afford the car even tho I was dressed fine and had my Rolex on.
I did get a test drive on the Camaro 2LT V6 automatic, but it felt like they are not trying their best with the price or locating the car I want. At the end they offered me to order one fresh from the factory which is fine but other than the regular rebate they wouldn't move with the price.

Yesterday, I went into Ford to take a look at the Mustang's. I go in and I meet a nice (and mature) sales man. I tell him what I want. He takes a book with the cars they have and takes me to sit with him in the office. I inquire about the Mustang and the engine types as I do not know much about them and all he tells me is that they don't have what I want. He didn't even bother to look up other places in the area to see if he can get what I want. I told him I saw an Automatic GT outside and asked if we can go see it. The guy looks at the book and says there's no Automatic GT outside. What upsets me is that there was one, just in front of the entrance only it was convertible (but who cares if you want to try the car by test driving it and feeling how it drives??). The guy didn't offer to take my number in case a car like I want comes into their dealership. All he offered was to buy one straight from the factory...

When I was doing sales, I was definitely not doing it the way these guys are and I'm wondering to myself how come they are so de-motivated on making a sale ???
Old 14 March 2017, 09:49 PM   #2
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega
The art of sales is dying.

I've noticed the very same things and posited a somewhat similar thread.

Customer service is going by the wayside. And people have no interest in working to make a sale.

IG: gsmotorclub
IG: thesawcollection

(Both mostly just car stuff)
superdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 March 2017, 09:53 PM   #3
Dcdfinance
"TRF" Member

Watch: Reference 116334
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carrera911 View Post
Was looking around the 40k budget at a Chevrolet Camaro or Dodge Mustang.
Visited a couple agencies here in FL selling them brand new and had a pretty bad experience on both of them.

Initially I went to Chevrolet with a buddy. My buddy (who's a local) said they immediately stereotyped us as people who can't afford the car even tho I was dressed fine and had my Rolex on.
I did get a test drive on the Camaro 2LT V6 automatic, but it felt like they are not trying their best with the price or locating the car I want. At the end they offered me to order one fresh from the factory which is fine but other than the regular rebate they wouldn't move with the price.

Yesterday, I went into Ford to take a look at the Mustang's. I go in and I meet a nice (and mature) sales man. I tell him what I want. He takes a book with the cars they have and takes me to sit with him in the office. I inquire about the Mustang and the engine types as I do not know much about them and all he tells me is that they don't have what I want. He didn't even bother to look up other places in the area to see if he can get what I want. I told him I saw an Automatic GT outside and asked if we can go see it. The guy looks at the book and says there's no Automatic GT outside. What upsets me is that there was one, just in front of the entrance only it was convertible (but who cares if you want to try the car by test driving it and feeling how it drives??). The guy didn't offer to take my number in case a car like I want comes into their dealership. All he offered was to buy one straight from the factory...

When I was doing sales, I was definitely not doing it the way these guys are and I'm wondering to myself how come they are so de-motivated on making a sale ???
Essentially, because there is really no commission on cars anymore for the sales agents. My VP used to work in car sales and then matriculated to f&I manager before I hired him for my company. He reported he was the top sales rep before moving into finance and stated the average commission on a car is only $100 unlike years ago when it was six to ten times as much supposedly. He was selling 30 cars per month and only making $4000 per month including his salary...

Sent from my Aster using Tapatalk
Dcdfinance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 March 2017, 09:55 PM   #4
Ally9
Banned

I agree the art of sales is indeed dying, that said there will be dealers ready to take your money and it's probably best if you seek them out that giving these clowns your money. All that said wearing a rolex doesnt mean you are better indeed can afford a car and is largely therefore irrelevant to the post.
Ally9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 March 2017, 10:00 PM   #5
Carrera911
"TRF" Member

I mentioned I was wearing a Rolex not because I feel I am better. I said that because I was actually wearing it and because it can show that I'm not there to waste the agent's time, as I know some people would just visit the dealership for a test ride with no intention on buying, which was not my case.
Old 14 March 2017, 10:12 PM   #6
texex91
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I mentioned I was wearing a Rolex not because I feel I am better. I said that because I was actually wearing it and because it can show that I'm not there to waste the agent's time, as I know some people would just visit the dealership for a test ride with no intention on buying, which was not my case.
So because you're wearing a Rolex THAT means you're not wasting his time? Huh??

Certainly you don't really believe that do you?

As for US car sales, use a phone and internet to find the best deal. Don't waste time going into a dealer.
texex91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 March 2017, 10:16 PM   #7
jhilly8982
"TRF" Member

Check out cars.com

It will allow you to narrow down your preferences based on make, model, engine, location, color, year, etc. I would get a list of a few different cars, call to make sure they still have them, then go see them.

Yes, salesmanship is dead at a lot of places.
jhilly8982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 March 2017, 10:23 PM   #8
jmiicustomz
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1953 pre explorer
I usually do the opposite. I show up looking like a bum. I know what I want, have researched the price and am ready for anything they might throw but I don't look the part in old faded and worn carhartts, ratty Polo, and unpolished shoes. I look like a guy who is trying to wear the best I got but I ain't got squat. Then I go to various places until someone gives me the time of day. Once years ago I was asked to leave a lot. 6 months later I was a manager at that very same dealership and saw to it that the salesman who had asked me to leave was fired. I have a part time neighbor who can afford about anything she wants. She does the same as me but instead of walking if they don't treat her right she pays cash for the nicest thing they have and then never returns and warns all her friends about the place.

Go somewhere that is looking for you and wants your money, not the other way around.

To know the future is to be trapped by it
jmiicustomz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 March 2017, 10:23 PM   #9
Carrera911
"TRF" Member

I agree that wearing a Rolex doesn't necessarily say if you are or are not wasting someone's time.
What I believe is that car sales men stereotype people by the things they have (i.e what car you came in, how well you are dressed, and yes which watch you own).

Quote:
Originally Posted by texex91 View Post
So because you're wearing a Rolex THAT means you're not wasting his time? Huh??

Certainly you don't really believe that do you?

As for US car sales, use a phone and internet to find the best deal. Don't waste time going into a dealer.
Old 14 March 2017, 10:29 PM   #10
texex91
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I agree that wearing a Rolex doesn't necessarily say if you are or are not wasting someone's time.
What I believe is that car sales men stereotype people by the things they have (i.e what car you came in, how well you are dressed, and yes which watch you own).
More reasons to shop via the phone...and don't deal with floor people.
texex91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 March 2017, 10:34 PM   #11
rolexgiants
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Was looking around the 40k budget at a Chevrolet Camaro or Dodge Mustang.

I figured out the problem!! The salesman couldn't locate a dodge mustang.
rolexgiants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 March 2017, 10:36 PM   #12
Rock
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Grail:Bluesy
I've heard Carrera's complaint in this neck of the woods also.
I was in a dealer a few months ago. Whilst waiting for Son's car to be ready I was browsing the new MX5. Once upon a time there would have been a salesman on me in about 10 seconds but it was some time before any one came over and even when he found out I had an earlier model, there was no real attempt to try to sell me one.
If I'd been the salesman there is no way I'd not have got the punter to take it for a drive.
I think Dcd is probably right about the lack of financial incentive for salespeople, but Jeez - what are you there for if you don't give every Mark your best shot.

Foundation Member of 'Horologists Anonymous' "Hi, I'm Rocky, and I'm a Horologist..."
Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 March 2017, 10:40 PM   #13
superstarmar
Banned

Watch: my wrist presence
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhilly8982 View Post
Check out cars.com

Yes, salesmanship is dead at a lot of places.
Indeed, it is dead , and has been for years as far as I'm
concerned... once upon a time I sold cars for Ford and
the bureaucracy was horrendous !!! Playing favorites was
the game . Selling was a " by the wayside " ...
superstarmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 March 2017, 10:43 PM   #14
MonBK
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolexgiants View Post
But he could get one from the factory!
MonBK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 March 2017, 10:46 PM   #15
Dcdfinance
"TRF" Member

Watch: Reference 116334
My VP reports truecar.com killed the auto business for sales folks and he has a friend that still works as a sales rep reporting the average profit on a car is $50 due to the transparency in sticker prices and exactly what cars sold for of same make and model in the local area recently...

Sent from my Aster using Tapatalk
Dcdfinance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 March 2017, 10:48 PM   #16
rolexgiants
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by monbk View Post
but he could get one from the factory!
lol.
Old 14 March 2017, 10:49 PM   #17
rolexgiants
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonBK View Post
But he could get one from the factory!
How much is a DODGE mustang these days? lol
Old 14 March 2017, 10:53 PM   #18
Carrera911
"TRF" Member

Ford Mustang, lol. Got that edited now :)
Old 14 March 2017, 10:53 PM   #19
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Lmao.

I was thinking that at first too.

Old 14 March 2017, 10:53 PM   #20
MonBK
Banned

Quote:
How much is a DODGE mustang these days? lol
Same price as a Chevy Mustang.
MonBK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 March 2017, 10:55 PM   #21
kid4life
"TRF" Member

"I would like one of your Amerrrrican Cars with Amerrrican woman" - in my best Borat impression
kid4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 March 2017, 11:55 PM   #22
Desibaba
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub,Pam90,SA2
I am currently a Finance Manager for a major Luxury car dealership in south florida and did car sales for many, many years. The problem I am seeing with this industry is that because of the internet and so many dealers in small areas that are so close to each other that have killed the profit on new cars (which is what the salesman's commission is based on). Most people find it shocking when they realize that their Salesman made only $100 after they purchased a $70k+ car after getting their local dealer to price match some out of state dealer they found online and the salesman spent days test driving, showing them different vehicles and all the back n forth that he did with them over the phone and email. Its getting harder and harder for dealerships to retain talented salesmen if they arent making decent money after working 70-80 hours a week and often coming in on their days off. That in turn is making dealerships to keep salesmen who are paid horribly who probably have no business selling cars and consumers like you are experiencing bad customer service because most salesmen feel if you arent ready to buy right now then its pointless to even talk to you. Bottom line is dealers need to have better pay plans for their employees if they want to retain quality salesmen and managers and provide excellent customer service.
Desibaba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 March 2017, 12:03 AM   #23
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desibaba View Post
I am currently a Finance Manager for a major Luxury car dealership in south florida and did car sales for many, many years. The problem I am seeing with this industry is that because of the internet and so many dealers in small areas that are so close to each other that have killed the profit on new cars (which is what the salesman's commission is based on). Most people find it shocking when they realize that their Salesman made only $100 after they purchased a $70k+ car after getting their local dealer to price match some out of state dealer they found online and the salesman spent days test driving, showing them different vehicles and all the back n forth that he did with them over the phone and email. Its getting harder and harder for dealerships to retain talented salesmen if they arent making decent money after working 70-80 hours a week and often coming in on their days off. That in turn is making dealerships to keep salesmen who are paid horribly who probably have no business selling cars and consumers like you are experiencing bad customer service because most salesmen feel if you arent ready to buy right now then its pointless to even talk to you. Bottom line is dealers need to have better pay plans for their employees if they want to retain quality salesmen and managers and provide excellent customer service.

Great post and great point.

A lot of what you describe cake about because people felt taken advantage of at dealerships. It's a tough cycle for sure.

Old 15 March 2017, 12:06 AM   #24
Abdullah71601
Banned

Watch: ing da Bears
Quote:
Have dealers given any thought to ending sales jobs and replacing with expeditors? Maybe online car sales isn't mature enough yet, but it seems that what you really need is small staff that works the internet and completes the paperwork for the purchase. Have a couple interns to go on test drives and a couple expeditors to wrap up the sale.

My local Toyota dealer had a sale last month. They matched the best price on internet, then sat people down to fill out paperwork. They did quite well on numbers (no idea what their profit might have been).
Abdullah71601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 March 2017, 12:11 AM   #25
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Like Paul said, deal over email and phone with the internet sales manager or sales manager. I usually go online and search within 500 miles who is advertising the lowest prices then negotiate with those dealers. If I know my local dealer is decent I'll give them an email chance at price matching.
GB-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 March 2017, 12:23 AM   #26
ParkerC
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor
Three words. Internet sales manager

We still have a dealership in town, a big military community, that has market adjustment stickers next to factory stickers on popular models ranging from 250-1500 for new popular cars like Subaru outbacks, BMW M cars etc.

I don't know how they survive doing that with sites like true car, except my guess is there are plenty of uninformed buyers out there.
ParkerC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 March 2017, 12:37 AM   #27
Desibaba
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub,Pam90,SA2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abdullah71601 View Post
Have dealers given any thought to ending sales jobs and replacing with expeditors? Maybe online car sales isn't mature enough yet, but it seems that what you really need is small staff that works the internet and completes the paperwork for the purchase. Have a couple interns to go on test drives and a couple expeditors to wrap up the sale.

My local Toyota dealer had a sale last month. They matched the best price on internet, then sat people down to fill out paperwork. They did quite well on numbers (no idea what their profit might have been).
Carmax has been doing that for decades basically where the salesmen gets paid the same no matter what car they sell and the salesman sells all the F&I products as well (Extended warranty, Gap Insurance, Prepaid maintenance, etc) and the customer cant negotiate the price of the car, their trade in value or interest rate (if they finance) and basically a $10/hour clerk will do your paperwork instead of a Finance Manager. So in that aspect CarMax is a no hassle, no headache car buying store but chances are you will be paying at least a few grand more by buying from them compared to one of their competitors. I worked at CarMax for 4 years as a salesman by the way.
Desibaba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 March 2017, 01:18 AM   #28
droptopman
"TRF" Member

Watch: SUBS and GMT's!
This shift really started about 20 years ago when the internet started being utilized more. I owned a store back in the 80's and 90's and many of my friends are/were in the business.

I generally do what others suggest. I only go to dealerships to drive cars that I have not driven before or if there is a model change. Once I have an idea of what I want, I just email or text the GSM and go from there. Last few cars I bought we did all the negotiations over email and I ordered the car. When it came in, I simply went in and signed paperwork and picked up the car. No haggle, no hassle, took about 40 minutes.

I try to stay somewhat loyal to the local dealer if they have what I want and come close in price. The local Audi dealer left a few years ago, so my last car, I simply emailed all the PNW Audi GM's and was upfront about whoever gave me the best deal on my order would get my business.

I am still in the test driving phase for my next purchase, but once I narrow it down the internet searches and emails will start.
droptopman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 March 2017, 01:24 AM   #29
Abdullah71601
Banned

Watch: ing da Bears
Quote:
Carmax has been doing that for decades basically where the salesmen gets paid the same no matter what car they sell and the salesman sells all the F&I products as well (Extended warranty, Gap Insurance, Prepaid maintenance, etc) and the customer cant negotiate the price of the car, their trade in value or interest rate (if they finance) and basically a $10/hour clerk will do your paperwork instead of a Finance Manager. So in that aspect CarMax is a no hassle, no headache car buying store but chances are you will be paying at least a few grand more by buying from them compared to one of their competitors. I worked at CarMax for 4 years as a salesman by the way.
If there were an online car sales aggregator akin to Amazon, where I could pick the car I want from a couple suppliers, check the payment option box, and have the car in my driveway three days later, I would never set foot in a dealership again. Better yet if the online sale didn't have any dealer costs or profits.

The internet price would seek the lowest denominator, and eventually the market for each model would settle to the lowest possible price. There wouldn't need to be negotiations as long as a supplier somewhere was in need to unload inventory.
Abdullah71601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 March 2017, 01:26 AM   #30
kid4life
"TRF" Member

I recently bought a Honda Odyssey and the process was much simpler than my last new car in 1999 - but still way more time wasting once i was at the dealership.
kid4life is offline   Reply With Quote