The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watch Reviews (Non-Rolex)

Old 9 November 2009, 03:00 PM   #1
lorsban
"TRF" Member

Volmax Aviator 45mm

Hey guys,

I know I said I wouldn't get another watch if it wasn't my grail watch, and I usually keep my word....but, what's a guy to do when he's bored out of his mind waiting for his wife shop for dresses? Anyway, here goes...

Design:

This watch definitely has a military-vibe to it. It's simple, straight-forward and definitely easy to read. The super-luminova is very bright and clear in light green. There's also a little date window between 4 and 5 O'clock. The date window's small so it doesn't change the spartan look. The all-black PVD finish is well executed and gives the watch character. Aviator makes a similar one with a stainless finish but this is definitely more eye-catching. I don't know, there's just something about all black watches that makes them striking without really having to do much in terms of design.

Size:

This watch is 45mm wide and 12mm thick. It's big and according to my brother in law, it looks like a compass. Haha! Before I saw this watch, I looked at an all black Azimuth, with black indicators and hands, it was 48mm, though and was just too big for my wrist. 45mm is ok but this'll probably still look good if it were 43-44mm.

Movement:

This uses a Russian manual movement. This is the second watch that I've owned with a manual movement but this is a little different. To wind it, the guy suggested to turn the crown clockwise and counter-clockwise back and forth until you feel resistance. This gives you about 45 hours of power. Odd thing is changing the date, first you have to pull the crown and turn it clockwise till the hour hand goes past midnight and the date advances, then you move the hour hand back and forth from 11 to 12 to advance the date by one day increments. Weirdness aside, this does seem like a pretty sturdy movement.

Build Quality:

This watch not only looks "military ready," it also feels very sturdy and durable. The finish is flawless. This also has a mineral glass, which, is a slight degree less scratch resistant as sapphire. The glass is totally flat, which does indeed make it look like a compass. However, this is only "water resistant" and not water proof. It has a depth rating of 50 meters but I was told not to submerge it under water. Rain, hand washing is fine. The strap is made by Hirsch, who also make straps for other makers like Panerai (or so I'm told). That said, the strap also seems to be of good quality.

Price:

Here's the best part, this thing cost me $350. I'm thinking that if this were branded, it would easily cost two, maybe three times as much. Thank god the Russians aren't into western hard-sell type of marketing/advertising. Oh yeah, their watches seem to be limited edition, this one's number 135/999. You'd think that with such a limited production, they'd up the price.

Overall, I'm happy with this find. I've always been curious over Russian watches. They have a certain character or soul that you can't get from similarly priced swiss or japanese watches.
Anyway, here are some pics:

regards,

lorsban
Attached Images
File Type: jpg contents.jpg (48.4 KB, 248 views)
File Type: jpg face.jpg (62.4 KB, 249 views)
File Type: jpg full.jpg (35.1 KB, 249 views)
File Type: jpg wrist1.jpg (44.2 KB, 245 views)
File Type: jpg back.jpg (52.5 KB, 243 views)
Old 13 November 2009, 07:13 PM   #2
lorsban
"TRF" Member

Here's some added information for anyone interested:

The watch movement is a Poljot Manual Wind 3105 Caliber. 17 Jewels, 21,600 vibrations with a 42-hour power reserve.

More on Volmax and Aviator:

Aviator is one of the brands under the Volmax umbrella. The other brands are Sturmanskie and Buran. Volmax itself is a new company which was started on 2000 by ex-Poljot employees.
Old 10 November 2010, 03:06 AM   #3
salamangkero
"TRF" Member

where can you buy volmax watches in the philippines?

thanks.
salamangkero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 March 2011, 03:58 PM   #4
lorsban
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by salamangkero View Post
where can you buy volmax watches in the philippines?

thanks.
Sorry for the late reply, but I bought this in Singapore.

At these prices, they should have a shop in Manila. I would pick this over anything they have selling at the Luminox/Casio/Suunto booths (which are all over the place).