The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Miscellaneous Forums > Pens & Writing Instruments

Old 18 March 2014, 09:35 AM   #1
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega
Any Trusted Sellers for pens?

I know just enough to make myself dangerous, to myself.

Looking for a recommendation for a reputable seller of nice pens.

Thanks in advance.

IG: gsmotorclub
IG: thesawcollection

(Both mostly just car stuff)
superdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 March 2014, 10:01 AM   #2
vintage69
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1969 p date
I suggest two.
Fountain Pen Hospital and Classic Pens.
vintage69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 March 2014, 10:21 AM   #3
LandLawMan
"TRF" Member

Watch: Marco Milandri BMW
Pen Show

The Hospital is a really good source, not only because of prices, but because their staff is willing to discuss problems with you, or ways to find you what you want.

Every year, I go to the DC pen show and buy one single high-end pen. I save up all year, and hit the show on Sunday evening, about two hours before closing. At that point, all the vendors just want to get rid of what they have on hand. The deals are very good, indeed. There are vendors who will shape your nib to better compliment your specific writing angle, fix minor issues, replace parts and provide overall enhancements to your writing skills and knowledge base.

I sound like a commercial, I know. But it's really an AMAZING event. Oh, by the way, they also sell lots of vintage watches, too.

Go to this site for the exact dates:

http://www.pencentral.com/

I can also recommend Farhney's, here in DC. Their prices are about 10-15% off full retail -- not the greatest discounts, but they stand behind their products.
LandLawMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 March 2014, 10:31 AM   #4
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega
thanks guys. thats great info.

IG: gsmotorclub
IG: thesawcollection

(Both mostly just car stuff)
superdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 March 2014, 01:39 PM   #5
shu_uemura
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Submariner
Bryant Greer is a great seller of pens. https://chatterleyluxuries.com/

Richard Binder is a great nibmeister and sells several brands of pens on his website.
http://www.richardspens.com/

Usual disclaimer: no affiliations etc.
shu_uemura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 March 2014, 01:40 PM   #6
perpetualman88
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610, 5712/1A
Greg aka Mosco on here is trusted for sure and I believe he sells pens
perpetualman88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 March 2014, 03:06 AM   #7
Cc1966
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the Sea...
Seth, if you go the eBay route be very wary indeed. Of the ten pens I have purchased off their site (all MB), two were counterfeit. There are excellent sellers on the bay, but if they are dealing with traded/used goods, even they can be fooled and pass a fake along to an unknowing buyer. Just my.

"I wish to have no Connection with any Ship that does not Sail fast for I intend to go in harm's way."
Captain John Paul Jones, 16 November 1778
"Curmudgeons " Favorites: 1665 SD, Sub Date, DSSD, Exp II, Sub LV, GMTIIc
Cc1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 March 2014, 08:16 AM   #8
Frosty
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex GMT 1675
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cc1966 View Post
Seth, if you go the eBay route be very wary indeed. Of the ten pens I have purchased off their site (all MB), two were counterfeit. There are excellent sellers on the bay, but if they are dealing with traded/used goods, even they can be fooled and pass a fake along to an unknowing buyer. Just my.
You definitly have to do some research, just like you would on a Rolex. I also like http://www.nibs.com/ I got a nice burgundy 146 fountain pen from them. They were very patient answering all my questions.

What are you looking for Seth, RB, BP, or a FP?
Frosty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 March 2014, 10:02 AM   #9
vintage69
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frosty View Post
You definitly have to do some research, just like you would on a Rolex. I also like http://www.nibs.com/ I got a nice burgundy 146 fountain pen from them. They were very patient answering all my questions.

That is the site used by Classic Pens.
Old 21 March 2014, 10:03 AM   #10
vintage69
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frosty View Post

That is the site used by Classic pens.
Old 24 March 2014, 09:43 PM   #11
2careless
"TRF" Member

Watch: Pepsi
There are quite a few trust worthy pen deales around -
1. dealers also nibmeisters -
a. Richard Binder - www.richardspens.com - Mr Binder nowadays do not do nib work anymore except for pens he sells as well as during pen shows. I think even for pens he sells he palm them off to his apprentices for nib work.
b. John Mottishaw - www.nibs.com - John's nib work is the best. He also got a number of apprentices, and has a long waiting list (if you only want him to work on your nibs).

2. new pen / used pen dealers
a. Fountain Pen Hospital - www.fountainpenhospital.com - I think they have been in business for a long time in NYC and also online.
b. Chatterley Luxuries - Bryant Greer - https://chatterleyluxuries.com/ Bryant sells lots of brands and is a good dealer. Bryant also accepts for-sale consignments.
c. Appelboom in the Netherlands - http://www.appelboompennen.nl/ they are official resellers for Montblanc and a number of other brands - I used them many times before and never an issue. New pens only.

3. Vintage pen dealers - vintage means 1950s or earlier.
a. Penboard - www.penboard.de - Any of the several dealers in Penboard are trusted dealers.
b. Gary Lehrer - www.gopens.com - Gary is the authoity on vintage Watermans. He has a quarterly for-sale list and the pens there are to drool for... :-)

The above dealers will be more than enough for the novice / medium level pen collectors.
P.S. I've bought from all the above dealers many times and have had issues with some of them (e.g. nib plating got flaked off). All provided good services so I'm happy to recommend them.
2careless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 March 2014, 03:19 AM   #12
Frosty
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex GMT 1675
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2careless View Post
There are quite a few trust worthy pen deales around -
1. dealers also nibmeisters -
a. Richard Binder - www.richardspens.com - Mr Binder nowadays do not do nib work anymore except for pens he sells as well as during pen shows. I think even for pens he sells he palm them off to his apprentices for nib work.
b. John Mottishaw - www.nibs.com - John's nib work is the best. He also got a number of apprentices, and has a long waiting list (if you only want him to work on your nibs).

2. new pen / used pen dealers
a. Fountain Pen Hospital - www.fountainpenhospital.com - I think they have been in business for a long time in NYC and also online.
b. Chatterley Luxuries - Bryant Greer - https://chatterleyluxuries.com/ Bryant sells lots of brands and is a good dealer. Bryant also accepts for-sale consignments.
c. Appelboom in the Netherlands - http://www.appelboompennen.nl/ they are official resellers for Montblanc and a number of other brands - I used them many times before and never an issue. New pens only.

3. Vintage pen dealers - vintage means 1950s or earlier.
a. Penboard - www.penboard.de - Any of the several dealers in Penboard are trusted dealers.
b. Gary Lehrer - www.gopens.com - Gary is the authoity on vintage Watermans. He has a quarterly for-sale list and the pens there are to drool for... :-)

The above dealers will be more than enough for the novice / medium level pen collectors.
P.S. I've bought from all the above dealers many times and have had issues with some of them (e.g. nib plating got flaked off). All provided good services so I'm happy to recommend them.
Great info, thanks
Frosty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 April 2014, 10:09 PM   #13
rustyduck
"TRF" Member

one is clearly missing from this site that I think is a must for newer FP owners: Goulet pens. On higher end pens (new) you will get a lot of information from Fahrneys (DC) and Fountain Pen Hospital (NY). Fountain Pen Hospital also sells vintage pens. I actually picked up my P51 there after trying nearly a dozen out in the store. I have purchase from all three of these shops and been to both Fountain Pen Hospital and Fahrneys and would buy again from any of the three.

Last edited by rustyduck; 2 April 2014 at 10:11 PM.. Reason: mistake on personal visits. Goulet pens is internet
rustyduck is offline   Reply With Quote