The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 16 March 2016, 10:05 PM   #31
Hpozzuoli
Banned

Watch: Rolex
I just don't see the love affair with the square bulky Pateks. I love the round dress watches, but don't understand the bulky square ones.
Hpozzuoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 March 2016, 10:12 PM   #32
gummy
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: AP PP Rolex
Thanks Paul!

If that 5990 has the same color dial as the SS...That will be a hot piece!
gummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 March 2016, 10:41 PM   #33
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y
Quote:
Originally Posted by texex91 View Post
I believe 40th Anniversary of Nautilus is not being revealed at Basel, and this may be a forthcoming announcement.

Was sent to me from a trusted source at Basel.

Old Dr. Time will tell
Not listed with Basel releases, that makes sense
Old 16 March 2016, 10:45 PM   #34
kilyung
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sundial
Damn.
kilyung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 March 2016, 11:29 PM   #35
Vipes
"TRF" Member

Very impressive. Thanks, Paul.
Vipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 March 2016, 12:08 AM   #36
JorgeCCW
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex,Patek and AP

"Nothing happens until something moves "
Albert Einstein
JorgeCCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 March 2016, 12:50 AM   #37
Gryfalcon
"TRF" Member

Thanks for sharing mate!

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk
Gryfalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 March 2016, 01:56 AM   #38
Time Exposure
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek 5980/1A
Pardon my daftness but if not Basel, where would Patek reveal a collection of new Nautilus variants?
I'll say I was quite disappointed when there was only a 5990/1R shown (with respect to those who like the 5990).
Time Exposure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 March 2016, 01:57 AM   #39
texex91
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time Exposure View Post
Pardon my daftness but if not Basel, where would Patek reveal a collection of new Nautilus variants?
I'll say I was quite disappointed when there was only a 5990/1R shown (with respect to those who like the 5990).
To me it actually makes sense--why blow all the surprises, rather than trickle out the wait a bit longer. I was told 'mid-year' so who knows.
texex91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 March 2016, 02:24 AM   #40
oscarostlin
"TRF" Member

That's a photoshopped pic which is over a year old. Unfortunately we will have to wait a bit longer for this.
oscarostlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 March 2016, 02:43 AM   #41
texex91
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oscarostlin View Post
That's a photoshopped pic which is over a year old. Unfortunately we will have to wait a bit longer for this.
We'll see with 40th Anniversary releases (it's not a stretch at all).

Find it strange a trusted source would send to me from Basel...but hey I'm sure plenty of drinking going on at Basel and plenty of BS flying

No guarantees until things show up (unless your last name is Stern)...look, no one thought SS Daytona ceramic would show up and boom.

Let's get our investigator Lapence on the case--he is suppose to be at Basel
Old 17 March 2016, 03:00 AM   #42
oscarostlin
"TRF" Member

Quote:
We'll see with 40th Anniversary releases (it's not a stretch at all)

Find it strange a trusted source would send to me from Basel...but hey I'm sure plenty of drinking going on at Basel and plenty of BS flying

No guarantees until things show up (unless your last name is Stern)...look, no one thought SS Daytona ceramic would show up and boom.
Not saying that they aren't gonna release it, I hope they will and it is quite probable. But the image he sent you is photoshopped unfortunately.
Here's to hoping they release it anyway
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2016-03-16 at 17.57.04.jpg (46.8 KB, 334 views)
oscarostlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 March 2016, 03:01 AM   #43
texex91
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oscarostlin View Post
Not saying that they aren't gonna release it, I hope they will and it is quite probable. But the image he sent you is photoshopped unfortunately.
Here's to hoping they release it anyway
That's a bummer that people photoshop stuff...well that person is off my 'trusted' list

This was text from yesterday:

Firing off some nasty texts as we speak.

Oh well, that's the fun of Basel...70% BS, 30% truth in what shows.
Old 17 March 2016, 03:47 AM   #44
soundserious
"TRF" Member

no new nautilus this year?
Old 17 March 2016, 04:14 AM   #45
texex91
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundserious View Post
no new nautilus this year?
They will release them later this year for 40th Anniversary--not at Basel.
Old 17 March 2016, 04:25 AM   #46
murcielago_boy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek 5170j
I must confess that I'm at a loss to understand the love that 5980 and 5990 garner.
They're so thick, chunky, and frankly lacking in visual class, particularly in the 5980's ghastly rose gold version. The 5990 has a useful complication but again I actually consider it to be an ugly watch.

I feel that these pieces have none of the elegance of the 5712 and the outstanding, basic 5711. Even the 5711 in rose, because of it's ultra slimline case has some real elegance.

Come on Patek - surprise us with a special Nautilus! Not something to wow people trading out of AP ROO "Schwartzenegger" watches.
murcielago_boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 March 2016, 12:41 PM   #47
el1125
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by murcielago_boy View Post
I must confess that I'm at a loss to understand the love that 5980 and 5990 garner.
They're so thick, chunky, and frankly lacking in visual class, particularly in the 5980's ghastly rose gold version. The 5990 has a useful complication but again I actually consider it to be an ugly watch.

I feel that these pieces have none of the elegance of the 5712 and the outstanding, basic 5711. Even the 5711 in rose, because of it's ultra slimline case has some real elegance.

Come on Patek - surprise us with a special Nautilus! Not something to wow people trading out of AP ROO "Schwartzenegger" watches.

You are free to comment on this forum obviously but your comments are totally incorrect and inaccurate. The 5980 will go down as one of the most inportant Pateks in modern times. It gets people excited about the brand. It's youthful appearance is what has garnered most of the youth to the brand which is GOOD for a company. Older people eventually die off. They need young blood which they were VERY successful with the 5980. That is why they made SO MANY different versions of it... I own 5980 AND 5711 btw...
el1125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 March 2016, 12:44 PM   #48
texex91
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Hell of a third post.
Old 17 March 2016, 02:22 PM   #49
Hairdude1
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP,PP, Rolex
Awesome!

16750, 26401, 5711, 116718, 116710LN, 116300, 16710"Coke", 372, 15300, 15703 (All Flipped)
Official Member "Perpetual 30" Las Vegas GTG 2016
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2017
Official Member 'WIS-CON' Las Vegas Int'l GTG 2018
Hairdude1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 March 2016, 06:22 PM   #50
RUK
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5711,Sub,Daytona,P
Quite disappointed with the 2016 models. Had high hopes for the world time- better hands, but still doesn't look well executed. The 5110 was probably he best of the lot.

The lack of a new Calatrava disappoints too. Was hoping for a 5196 update with a bigger movement.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 18 March 2016, 12:35 AM   #51
murcielago_boy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek 5170j
Quote:
Hell of a third post.
I sincerely apologise if you felt that my post was offensive. In hindsight, I could have expressed my opinions more delicately particularly if you may own said pieces. Apolgies.

It's not that I'm not a fan of the Nautilus - it's just that I feel that the slimmer 5711 and 5712 are more consistent with what **I** consider to the brands core values of timeless elegance and discretion. I may well be alone in my opinion and I hope we can agree to disagree amicably.

@ el1125: I watched an interview on CNBC (I think) where the President of Patek USA came on saying that Patek were trying to target more of the 28-35 crowd. And perhaps, you're right, that the Nautilus and precious metal versions will be especially good at doing this.
The problem my friend is that a 5980/R in the UK costs around £62,000 or circa $90,000 and there's just not that many individuals of that age, with that kind of disposal $$$ to spend on watch. Oddly enough, I still fall into this age category but when my time came to buy my first Patek aged 30, I looked past the entire Nautilus range and purchased perhaps the most boringly classical Patek they've produced in years... the 5170j.
Now as a wannabe-budding PP collector, I don't want Patek to erode their core values by making, what I consider to be, their own version of an AP ROO, in pursuit of customer base that barely exists. AP did this and have effectively become and one-watch brand as a result.

To prove my point, if I look at this 2016 collection the most controversial model is actually not the 5930 but the 5327 models. These have gone up in case size from the 5140 which was bigger than the 3940 before it using the same movement. is this Patek cynically re-sizing watches to attract a different younger buyer who demands a larger (and therefore necessarily more showy watch which isn't necessarily in keeping with the discretion typically associated with the brand) OR is this keeping-up-with-times?

Apologies for any offence. Just a few random garbled thoughts.
murcielago_boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 March 2016, 12:52 AM   #52
el1125
Banned

Quote:
I sincerely apologise if you felt that my post was offensive. In hindsight, I could have expressed my opinions more delicately particularly if you may own said pieces. Apolgies.

It's not that I'm not a fan of the Nautilus - it's just that I feel that the slimmer 5711 and 5712 are more consistent with what **I** consider to the brands core values of timeless elegance and discretion. I may well be alone in my opinion and I hope we can agree to disagree amicably.

@ el1125: I watched an interview on CNBC (I think) where the President of Patek USA came on saying that Patek were trying to target more of the 28-35 crowd. And perhaps, you're right, that the Nautilus and precious metal versions will be especially good at doing this.
The problem my friend is that a 5980/R in the UK costs around £62,000 or circa $90,000 and there's just not that many individuals of that age, with that kind of disposal $$$ to spend on watch. Oddly enough, I still fall into this age category but when my time came to buy my first Patek aged 30, I looked past the entire Nautilus range and purchased perhaps the most boringly classical Patek they've produced in years... the 5170j.
Now as a wannabe-budding PP collector, I don't want Patek to erode their core values by making, what I consider to be, their own version of an AP ROO, in pursuit of customer base that barely exists. AP did this and have effectively become and one-watch brand as a result.

To prove my point, if I look at this 2016 collection the most controversial model is actually not the 5930 but the 5327 models. These have gone up in case size from the 5140 which was bigger than the 3940 before it using the same movement. is this Patek cynically re-sizing watches to attract a different younger buyer who demands a larger (and therefore necessarily more showy watch which isn't necessarily in keeping with the discretion typically associated with the brand) OR is this keeping-up-with-times?

Apologies for any offence. Just a few random garbled thoughts.

This is keeping up with business and where their and everybody else's business lies. If they stay true to some of their past successes (namely small watches) they are dead in the water. Why do you think AP, RM etc have succeeded in purely larger sports type watches? Rolex sports for that matter at 40mm+ ! Bc that is what sells and pays the bills...I assure you that Pateks bills are NOT paid by their grand complications that they produce so few of Bc of their extra high price points. I own some of those as well..in this dress down society Patek must change with the times and I think they have done so brilliantly...
Old 18 March 2016, 12:54 AM   #53
el1125
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUK View Post
Quite disappointed with the 2016 models. Had high hopes for the world time- better hands, but still doesn't look well executed. The 5110 was probably he best of the lot.

The lack of a new Calatrava disappoints too. Was hoping for a 5196 update with a bigger movement.

I hear you but for me and prob some others, the standard Calatrava is not that exciting of a watch...
Old 18 March 2016, 01:10 AM   #54
Headshrinker
"TRF" Member

Watch: Day-Date
Quote:
Better grab one--they won't be around much longer
Is there something I should know about the 5980r? I am planning on picking one up after the Easter holiday. Is it going to be discontinued? My AD said nothing to me about it...
Headshrinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 March 2016, 01:16 AM   #55
texex91
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Headshrinker View Post
Is there something I should know about the 5980r? I am planning on picking one up after the Easter holiday. Is it going to be discontinued? My AD said nothing to me about it...
GRAB ONE...it's such a great watch doesn't matter if it's staying around or not. Sooner or later it will be gone.

Excellent choice
Old 18 March 2016, 01:54 AM   #56
goog53
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex-Patek-AP
Quote:
Originally Posted by el1125 View Post
I hear you but for me and prob some others, the standard Calatrava is not that exciting of a watch...
I agree Elliott but would be cool if they offered these version like they made way back when. (Pics by Hodinkee Alfredo Paramico's watches)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (61.2 KB, 167 views)
goog53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 March 2016, 01:58 AM   #57
goog53
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex-Patek-AP
RG Version is killer and would be very cool on a bracelet.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (71.1 KB, 165 views)
goog53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 March 2016, 05:26 AM   #58
Headshrinker
"TRF" Member

Watch: Day-Date
Quote:
GRAB ONE...it's such a great watch doesn't matter if it's staying around or not. Sooner or later it will be gone.

Excellent choice
Thank you, Paul. I really do love the watch. Hope to show everyone an incoming after an Easter in Florida with the family.
Headshrinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 March 2016, 05:38 AM   #59
bdex75
"TRF" Member

Watch: my money vanish
Quote:
To me it actually makes sense--why blow all the surprises, rather than trickle out the wait a bit longer. I was told 'mid-year' so who knows.

Several companies have taken to doing "off cycle" releases. I think a lot of great pieces get lost in the pageantry of Basel. Makes sense to me. Plus when has Patek ever followed anyone's rules?

Congrats on a great watch.

bdex75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 March 2016, 05:44 AM   #60
Marciano490
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Headshrinker View Post
Thank you, Paul. I really do love the watch. Hope to show everyone an incoming after an Easter in Florida with the family.
It's an amazing watch and gets more wrist time than anything else in my collection.
Marciano490 is offline   Reply With Quote