The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex Watch Reviews

Old 26 January 2019, 12:38 PM   #1
axnjackson
"TRF" Member

A month in with the Explorer 214270 MK2

A month in with the Explorer 214270 Mark 2 and couldn’t be happier as this watch has taken every second of wrist time. I used to swap time between some vintage Seiko divers but the 6105, 6309 and 7002 will more than likely be heading to the auction block soon. They’re great and all but the comfort level of the Explorer makes it hard to wear those heavy pieces for any reasonable length of time. I guess that’s why I’d rotate them and constantly and swap straps and bracelets. The bracelet on the Explorer somehow feels “silky” on the wrist. I doubt that’s an apt description for Chiclet shaped bits of cold steel draped about the wrist but that’s all I could come up with. It does indeed slide around a bit on the wrist like silk and its sublime. I thought the clasp might be a bit bulky and plain initially but the craftsmanship and ease of use rendered that line of thought useless. It’s comfortable and non-intrusive while desk diving or anything else for that matter. It works great and is perfectly designed.
The watch keeps great time. I set it a minute fast a month ago. Today it was about a second behind time so it’s a tad under 2 seconds a day fast-pretty damned amazing considering I was used to keeping “vintage” time. I’m not a stickler by any means concerning accuracy as ballpark works for me but seeing this degree of accuracy really highlights the precision and care over at Rolex and I like that.
The dial is mesmerizing and highly legible. A quick glance is all it takes to see the accurate time. The lume is lovely and is easily visible all night. The two times I need to get up to micturate each night (cyclist in his fifties) allows me to glance down, see the time and admire the beauty of the lume while stubbing pinkie toes on the way to the bathroom. During horrifically long meetings at work there is nothing better that watching the sweep of the seconds hand moving steadily across that perfect dial to make the time go faster.
The Explorer looks great in hospital scrubs, T’s and jeans or a suit and tie. It also flies under the radar and under a cuff. I’ve worn it while doing wood work, yard work and strenuous TV watching work and it has performed flawlessly. It is a watch for all seasons and all times.
Lastly, I love the fact that I have a 5 year warranty where I can walk into any AD and get the watch taken care of without a fuss if there is a failure of some sort in the next 5 years. The engineering and finesse that went into allowing up to 10 years between service times is assuring as well.
I’ve been lurking in this forum quite some time gleaning tidbits and enjoying the threads…..many a great person and many a turd but that’s how it goes in any forum or social situ…..it’s still nice to catch up here every night, after life.
This one’s a keeper folks…..although… a no-date sub is calling out to me too. Damn you Rolex!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg explorer.JPG (80.9 KB, 1658 views)
axnjackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2019, 02:04 PM   #2
jburson250
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD
Excellent review, and thanks for taking time to write it. The Explorer's a superb piece, as is the Submariner.

Best Regards,

Explorer 214270.
Sea-Dweller 126600.
Sea-Dweller Deepsea 126660 Black.
Submariner 5512.
PAM 514 Radiomir 1940.
Railmaster XXL 2806.52.37.
Speedmaster Moonphase 304.33.44.52.01.001.
RIP JJ
jburson250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 January 2019, 08:18 PM   #3
Oldfellow
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by axnjackson View Post
A month in with the Explorer 214270 Mark 2 and couldn’t be happier as this watch has taken every second of wrist time. I used to swap time between some vintage Seiko divers but the 6105, 6309 and 7002 will more than likely be heading to the auction block soon. They’re great and all but the comfort level of the Explorer makes it hard to wear those heavy pieces for any reasonable length of time. I guess that’s why I’d rotate them and constantly and swap straps and bracelets. The bracelet on the Explorer somehow feels “silky” on the wrist. I doubt that’s an apt description for Chiclet shaped bits of cold steel draped about the wrist but that’s all I could come up with. It does indeed slide around a bit on the wrist like silk and its sublime. I thought the clasp might be a bit bulky and plain initially but the craftsmanship and ease of use rendered that line of thought useless. It’s comfortable and non-intrusive while desk diving or anything else for that matter. It works great and is perfectly designed.
The watch keeps great time. I set it a minute fast a month ago. Today it was about a second behind time so it’s a tad under 2 seconds a day fast-pretty damned amazing considering I was used to keeping “vintage” time. I’m not a stickler by any means concerning accuracy as ballpark works for me but seeing this degree of accuracy really highlights the precision and care over at Rolex and I like that.
The dial is mesmerizing and highly legible. A quick glance is all it takes to see the accurate time. The lume is lovely and is easily visible all night. The two times I need to get up to micturate each night (cyclist in his fifties) allows me to glance down, see the time and admire the beauty of the lume while stubbing pinkie toes on the way to the bathroom. During horrifically long meetings at work there is nothing better that watching the sweep of the seconds hand moving steadily across that perfect dial to make the time go faster.
The Explorer looks great in hospital scrubs, T’s and jeans or a suit and tie. It also flies under the radar and under a cuff. I’ve worn it while doing wood work, yard work and strenuous TV watching work and it has performed flawlessly. It is a watch for all seasons and all times.
Lastly, I love the fact that I have a 5 year warranty where I can walk into any AD and get the watch taken care of without a fuss if there is a failure of some sort in the next 5 years. The engineering and finesse that went into allowing up to 10 years between service times is assuring as well.
I’ve been lurking in this forum quite some time gleaning tidbits and enjoying the threads…..many a great person and many a turd but that’s how it goes in any forum or social situ…..it’s still nice to catch up here every night, after life.
This one’s a keeper folks…..although… a no-date sub is calling out to me too. Damn you Rolex!
Very good review.
I am pleased to say that I share you feelings on this watch.
A Sub C called out to me too after I had the Explorer for a while.
They are a great pair.
Oldfellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 January 2019, 08:42 PM   #4
RRGHOST1
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex TT SubC Blue
The Explorers simplicity is its greatest asset.
Old 28 January 2019, 11:08 PM   #5
strafer_kid
"TRF" Member

Watch: SDs, Subs & GMTs
Quote:
Originally Posted by RRGHOST1 View Post
The Explorers simplicity is its greatest asset.
Totally...very nice watch!
strafer_kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 February 2019, 02:10 PM   #6
RtTime
"TRF" Member

Watch: 214270MkII; 114060
Axnjackson and RRGHOST1,

After wearing my Explorer, I certainly share both of your feelings about having the Explorer and the Submariner as a pair of watches. I must admit that this is strange because when I initially started looking at the Rolex line it was only the Explorer that appealed to me. However, I now have the feeling of adding on the Submariner. Hopefully I have not come down with the Rolex Acquisition Syndrome.
RtTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 February 2019, 02:36 AM   #7
Rolex fan 61
"TRF" Member

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication......wear in good health and fortune
Rolex fan 61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 February 2019, 03:57 AM   #8
ReturningSon
"TRF" Member

Watch: ALS, Rolex, Seiko
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolex fan 61 View Post
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication......wear in good health and fortune
Agreed. the explorer has always had that enviable "less is more" type of aesthetic.
ReturningSon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 February 2019, 10:14 AM   #9
zengineer
"TRF" Member

It's definitely one I'd keep if I was forced to own just a few watches. I'd say an only watch but that's about as unimaginable to me as having just one 'do everything' pair of shoes. I loved the Milgauss's that I've owned because the case is a perfect size for me and I think the LV Sub and BLNR GMT and even the Daytona are great looking watches but they also just don't go well with certain colors or types of dress.

The Explorer goes with just about everything. It's the blue wool blazer of the watch world.
zengineer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8 February 2019, 02:20 PM   #10
mpv232323
"TRF" Member

Hows it keeping time? Just got one. Running +2-3 a day

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
mpv232323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 February 2019, 07:08 PM   #11
mr_gray
"TRF" Member

Watch: SMURF
yes this is a sublime watch. anybody could like this watch; a man or a woman, a billionaire or a teenager. it is something special.

great review OP!
mr_gray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 February 2019, 06:52 AM   #12
Runfar
"TRF" Member

love the explorer and its all occasions manner- glad you are enjoying it and thnaks for the mini review
Runfar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 February 2019, 09:49 AM   #13
axnjackson
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpv232323 View Post
Hows it keeping time? Just got one. Running +2-3 a day

Mine is a just over 2 seconds a day if I leave it on for 24 hours. A tad under 2 seconds if I take it off at night and let it rest crown up.
Pretty solid time keeping.
Old 16 February 2019, 05:58 AM   #14
ferdiep
"TRF" Member

Great owner review - thanks. Looking into the Explorer as potentially my next every day watch.

Sent from my A1601 using Tapatalk
ferdiep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2019, 02:02 PM   #15
axnjackson
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferdiep View Post
Great owner review - thanks. Looking into the Explorer as potentially my next every day watch.

Sent from my A1601 using Tapatalk
Its been great. I forget it's on my wrist at times and when I check the time and see that simple, sublime machine on my wrist I get a bit giddy and give it a good stare. It's amazing.
Old 3 March 2019, 11:55 AM   #16
HIGH TIME
Banned

Thanks for sharing your Mk 2 experience and evaluation. I believe you made the right decision is selecting and buying the Rolex Explorer Mk 2. I just picked up mine yesterday. I cannot add anything to what you have stated about the Explorer's precision accuracy and functionalities. I am forced to admit that the Mk 2 so happens to have impeccable design provenance and quality. It is precisely for these reasons I came to the same conclusion you did and bought the Rolex 214270 Explorer Mk 2.
HIGH TIME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 March 2019, 07:06 PM   #17
gordonite
"TRF" Member

Agree on how amazing the Rolex Explorer line-up is, regardless the version. The legibility is its main power, I guess it's the mercedes hands that compliment the design. Compare to the stick hour-hands of the Oyster-Perpetual line, the Explorer tends to be more legible.

Previously I had a seamaster professional with date window, and hesitate to trade-in with the explorer bcoz the lack of date-window, but after a day or two I already well-accustomed with no-date and loving the dial of explorer eversince!
gordonite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 March 2019, 03:48 PM   #18
Check
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Explorer (124270)
Congrats on a great watch! I’m thinking of picking one up myself.
Check is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 April 2019, 03:08 AM   #19
Ricky Rolex
"TRF" Member

Watch: Various
Beautiful watch.

I've always enjoyed date models through the years, GMT Coke, Sub & a Datejust so I'm trying to get my head around me having no date (creature of habit!) buttttt your fantastic review & the beauty of this watch is seriously swaying me.

A part of me keeps looking thinking 'is it just missing that little something?' Then I think NO! That's the beauty of it.

Congrats on a fabulous watch. Definitely an underrated star in Rolex's arsenal.

♛GMT II Coke 16710♛ ♛DateJust 16030♛ ♛Explorer 214270 mk2♛ Submariner 116610LN♛ 126711CHNR ♛
Ricky Rolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 April 2019, 03:17 AM   #20
crazymcmichael
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub 114060, 216570
nice watch !
crazymcmichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2019, 02:21 PM   #21
axnjackson
"TRF" Member

Update:
Watch has yet to stop running as I have worn it every single day. Many of those days I have worn it to bed as I forget to take it off. It has become part of me and might as well be sewn onto my arm. It still keeps time at about +2 or a tad less a day and has some desk diving wear on the clasp. Other than that it is a dream come true. Also, not a single person has inquired about it. Even better.
Old 17 April 2019, 12:05 PM   #22
HandDoc75
"TRF" Member

I had the pleasure of purchasing this watch 2 days ago and I echo all your sentiments. This is an incredibly comfortable and versatile watch. It is equally at home in a suit and tie or t-shirt and jeans. I too like that it "flies under the radar"...this watch is for me to enjoy. I don't see myself getting tired of this one.

-Mark
HandDoc75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2019, 07:54 AM   #23
Ricky Rolex
"TRF" Member

Watch: Various
Same as you. Loving it.

♛GMT II Coke 16710♛ ♛DateJust 16030♛ ♛Explorer 214270 mk2♛ Submariner 116610LN♛ 126711CHNR ♛
Ricky Rolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2019, 12:10 PM   #24
JePro
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16613 / 126600
Now, must have one!!! Great review!
JePro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 April 2019, 02:04 PM   #25
Maxtor
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Exp 1, DJ Tuxedo
Great review. Enjoy the watch!
Maxtor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 April 2019, 03:17 PM   #26
mimariani
"TRF" Member

Watch: RG GMT
GREAT review axnjackson!!!! It's my favorite watch i got, as its so simple and clean. It could easily be a "one and only"...except Rolex just seems to hook me time and time again. ;)
It wears like a cloud on the wrist, so comfortable.

I can relate to the your sub comments as well. I never thought I'd own a sub, but recently bought a 2006 14060m, and love it so much......go for it:).
Date Just 41 - 126334
Sub - 14060m 2 liner
Tudor S&G
mimariani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 April 2019, 08:10 PM   #27
nan7yo
"TRF" Member

Great review and making me wanna buy one!!
nan7yo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 August 2019, 12:53 AM   #28
zorinindustries
"TRF" Member

Watch: It varies
I've had this watch for a week. The best way I've heard it put is that it's a "collection killer." I can see that - really, once you own it, it's all you want to wear! ...and to think I once called it, "Boring." Ha!
zorinindustries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 August 2019, 05:08 AM   #29
yevgeny
"TRF" Member

Great review but one month is definitely not enough. I have myself celebrated more than one year on my wrist (at least 5 on 7 days). Few scratches and one on the bezel but I wear it... it's not a watch that you keep in a safe :)
yevgeny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 August 2019, 05:05 AM   #30
Oxfordian
"TRF" Member

Watch: 124060 Submariner
Glad you like the watch it is definitely on my list of watches to buy, it is such a great looking watch
Oxfordian is offline   Reply With Quote