The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 9 August 2018, 07:54 PM   #1
10hi-f9s
"TRF" Member

Buying a OP Date

Hi there
New to the forums, not new to watches. I used to have an AK before, but unfortunately it got stolen.. So now I'm looking for a replacement. I'd like to have the date as well. I'm really into the looks of the AK and OP from the 80s and 90s. I have found this OP from 1981, which says it has sapphire glas, but all of the other OPs I've found from 1981 have Plexiglas - can this be right?
goo . gl / VSU7o8
Sorry for the weird link, couldn't post it any other way due to the fact I don't have 10 posts yet (just remove the spaces)

Other than that it seems to be in good condition, and the 3035 movement is pretty good so far I can tell.

Any thoughts?
10hi-f9s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2018, 09:36 PM   #2
Toronto Soup King
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1016.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10hi-f9s View Post
Hi there

goo.gl/VSU7o8

Any thoughts?
Dunno about price but watch looks authentic. WRT sapphire, when I sent an old 1018 in to Rolex Service, they replaced the acrylic with sapphire. Be aware it changes the character of the watch...I'm planning to get that sapphire changed BACK to acrylic next time I send it in (to a regular watchmaker, for a normal service).
Toronto Soup King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2018, 10:52 PM   #3
10hi-f9s
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toronto Soup King View Post
Dunno about price but watch looks authentic. WRT sapphire, when I sent an old 1018 in to Rolex Service, they replaced the acrylic with sapphire. Be aware it changes the character of the watch...I'm planning to get that sapphire changed BACK to acrylic next time I send it in (to a regular watchmaker, for a normal service).
Arh right. How did it change in your opinion? I remember on my AK I was told by an official service center, that you can't change to sapphire if it wasn't 'born' with it.
The watch is without box and papers, but I can get it for 2100 EURO, approx. 2435 USD.
10hi-f9s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2018, 11:08 PM   #4
Toronto Soup King
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1016.
Changing from acrylic to sapphire made the watch look NEW. Not a bad look but it's more like the new OP models than the 1960s 1018 it once was. The old watch (bought from Jacek with a wrecked dial years ago and then to RSC) wasn't really wearable and the new one is, so that's good, but it's a suit watch now and I hardly ever wear a suit (plus I have other options for suit day).

Seeing as my images never show up here's the link too: https://imgur.com/a/kh5ul
Toronto Soup King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2018, 07:48 AM   #5
Frank80
"TRF" Member

Watch: u talkin' bout
Watch seems off for a few reasons. 81 would be an acrylic crystal with a screw link bracelet. Folded link would be 60's to early 70's. 3035 movement didn't start in the OP Date range until '88 I believe.

Seems like a pieced together watch.
Frank80 is offline   Reply With Quote