The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Ω Omega Discussion Forum

View Poll Results: What do you think about the moonswatch?
It's fun and it will benefit Omega and Omega fans 159 63.35%
I'm indifferent, it's neither good nor bad for Omega and Omega fans 35 13.94%
I hate it. It cheapens the Omega brand and might affect my interest in Omega 57 22.71%
Voters: 251. You may not vote on this poll

Old 24 March 2022, 09:58 AM   #121
djona
"TRF" Member

Watch: N/A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
If the idea was the broaden the appeal of Omega and target younger crowds, why are these models limited to sales in only a few Swatch stores....only 7 in the entire US?

If you don't live any where close to these locations, you can't buy the watch. Not exactly young friendly.

The watches are fine. Not my kind of watch, but I get the appeal. The distribution policy and the marketing (Swatches in Omega briefcases) seems off if the target audience is who I think they are.
It's a balance between marketing desirability and broadening the appeal of the brand.

I bought a Speedmaster Professional last year as a birth year watch for my son. I'm thinking the Moonswatch may be a good first or second watch for him before he eventually inherits the Professional.

To the poster above: If I am able to get an extra, I will PM you directly.
djona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 March 2022, 10:03 AM   #122
Enzo954
"TRF" Member

If anyone can grab me a Mercury, Moon or Mars I'll throw some extra $ your way. PM me if you get one and we'll work out a deal!
Enzo954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 March 2022, 10:24 AM   #123
shaunylw
"TRF" Member

I do imagine a number of speedmaster owners may not like this move. I think it’s cool, it’s outside of the box, it brings in new potential customers.

This is a plastic quartz cheap speedmaster look alike. If someone buys this and doesn’t buy a speedmaster because they own this thing, they were never going to be an omega customer. The downside is it’s less than $300 and the people they want to target ( $300 watch buying people) have no chance of owning it because they are going to sell for absurd amounts on the secondary. I think this is awesome, and i will be buying one for way too much money when they release.
shaunylw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 March 2022, 10:24 AM   #124
orangeguy
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex 16710
Wow, the non-stop promotion of this appears to have paid off with all the excitement. My GF actually sent me a pic of the first ads in the NY Times. I was curious what it was going to be. I actually like these. I think it's a great way to get non-watch folks interested in watches and they are different enough I don't think it will negatively affect the Speedmaster.

I really wish/hope they make a collector set with all watches and the case available. That would be cool. I really like Mercury, Moon, Jupiter, Saturn and Pluto, but for the price I would consider the full set if they sold them as such.

BTW, I have four Speedys, so I guess you can call me a fan...
orangeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 March 2022, 10:46 AM   #125
epc2
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LV,Pam etc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JodyHighroller View Post
I will report back Saturday!

If anyone else is interested, post up what colors you want. I’ll try to help where possible.
I'd love a Mercury.
epc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 March 2022, 10:55 AM   #126
isgrb
"TRF" Member

The teaser campaign really turned me off but now that I’m seeing the final product I’ve decided to buy one for each of my kids. Great way to turn kids onto a ‘real’ watch and to have some fun with a chronograph etc. And to match their dad!
isgrb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 March 2022, 11:02 AM   #127
orangeguy
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex 16710
Quote:
Originally Posted by isgrb View Post
The teaser campaign really turned me off but now that I’m seeing the final product I’ve decided to buy one for each of my kids. Great way to turn kids onto a ‘real’ watch and to have some fun with a chronograph etc. And to match their dad!
Let me know how that goes. I've been trying to get my son into watches for years. He only wants to wear his GizmoWatch so he can play games and text me.
orangeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 March 2022, 11:08 AM   #128
EEpro
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
The good news is I can wear my speedy and be absolutely sure no one will beat my ass to steal my swatch.
Old 24 March 2022, 11:12 AM   #129
Cam_w
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by djona View Post
It's a balance between marketing desirability and broadening the appeal of the brand.

I bought a Speedmaster Professional last year as a birth year watch for my son. I'm thinking the Moonswatch may be a good first or second watch for him before he eventually inherits the Professional.

To the poster above: If I am able to get an extra, I will PM you directly.
That would be awesome! Thank you so much and good luck!
Cam_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 March 2022, 11:24 AM   #130
Texans93
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sea Dweller 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam_w View Post
I am in Dallas (where there is a Swatch store) but I am going to be out of town this weekend!

Dang! I think the Saturn, Jupiter, and Pluto are really cool. If anyone is planning on going to a store on Saturday let me know! I would love to buy an extra from someone!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Send me a PM…

Texans93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 March 2022, 11:34 AM   #131
Tricolore66
"TRF" Member

I wonder if any of the tiffany blue models have hit Chrono24 for $36,000 yet!

I think this is actually a pretty cool idea, and I'm going to buy a couple of them for fun. I'll get one for my girlfriend too, and hopefully she'll like it and want me to get her a real Speedy Pro instead of the Datejust I've had on order for her since last summer.
Tricolore66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 March 2022, 11:35 AM   #132
Greglaw
Banned

Not sure where to stick my cash...in the Moon or Uranus...
Greglaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 March 2022, 12:15 PM   #133
Chromosome
"TRF" Member

I want the Jupiter one!
Chromosome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 March 2022, 12:19 PM   #134
derekhayden
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor BBGMT
Swatch and Omega

Well John Mayer already commented on the Swatch Instagram post so there goes my chances of picking one up

derekhayden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 March 2022, 12:22 PM   #135
IS2000
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex,PP,AP, PAM
I think some of these will be hyped and super hard to obtain. This might drive people into getting real Moonwatches from Omega.
IS2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 March 2022, 12:24 PM   #136
MasonDixon
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricolore66 View Post
I wonder if any of the tiffany blue models have hit Chrono24 for $36,000 yet!
I commend them for making that one the "Mission to Uranus" watch.
MasonDixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 March 2022, 12:32 PM   #137
donas
Banned

Watch: 116619
Terrible move, in my opinion. Stuff like this will ruin a brand's recognition/reputation. A poll for this one would be interesting; I'm sure I'm not alone in this opinion, but I wonder how not alone, lol.
donas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 March 2022, 12:33 PM   #138
MasonDixon
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by derekhayden View Post
Well John Mayer already commented on the Swatch Instagram post so there goes my chances of picking one up

The flippers will be headed to the ER with priapism before the night is through.
MasonDixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 March 2022, 12:35 PM   #139
Enzo954
"TRF" Member

So are these limited or will they be released again later in the year?
Enzo954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 March 2022, 12:41 PM   #140
Krash
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sub, DJ41, GMT
Swatch and Omega

When I first saw them, I thought they were pretty cool, but they also made me appreciate how great my real Speedmaster is.

Now I’m thinking they’re sort of lame. I’d never wear one. If I wanted a cheap plastic watch, I’d get a G-Shock.

Krash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 March 2022, 12:42 PM   #141
RW16610
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116710LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by derekhayden View Post

Haha darn. I seriously hope Swatch supplies enough of these. Seems doubtful in a way but my hope is they become available online.
RW16610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 March 2022, 12:44 PM   #142
liberalclown
"TRF" Member

Poison Pill - Omega x Swatch

This is one of the smartest moves that I’ve ever seen. This move will make watches attainable to many, while discourage the buyers from the crazy market right now. If you can get a $260 moon watch why would you spend thousands for the steel model and why would you spend tens of thousands for Rolex chrono.

This move will draw a line between the watch afficinado and the flipper. If there is less afficinados willing to pay thousands more on a secondary, there will be less flippers feeding the frenzy.

I was thinking of getting another moon watch, and I will try to get alaska project from the swatch line to feed that craving for now or maybe ever. Watches shouldn’t cost same with a decent car and this move from Omega will open up a whole new realization. It will hurt Omega’s sales but it will hurt the whole watch market, just like the quartz crises. Omega must have something under their sleeves, maybe a wearable tech unit, to play the next hand after this bold move. But if they don’t, then maybe this will be the stupidest move that I will ever seen.
liberalclown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 March 2022, 12:59 PM   #143
arcadelt
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tools View Post
Swatch devastated the Swiss watch industry with their onslaught of cheap, plastic, quartz driven watches back in the 80's.
That sounds like a rewriting of history
arcadelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 March 2022, 01:01 PM   #144
yoast
"TRF" Member

MoonSwatch

Who's getting one?

https://www.swatch.com/en-hk/bioceramic-moonswatch.html
Old 24 March 2022, 01:02 PM   #145
ddaly12
"TRF" Member

I’d like to get a couple for my kids who are 7 and 5. Pretty cool.

ddaly12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 March 2022, 01:04 PM   #146
myporsche
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex♠Lange
Quote:
Originally Posted by yoast View Post

How many of the same posts do we need?
myporsche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 March 2022, 01:08 PM   #147
mquarter
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5-digit steel
Quote:
Originally Posted by liberalclown View Post
This is one of the smartest moves that I’ve ever seen. This move will make watches attainable to many, while discourage the buyers from the crazy market right now. If you can get a $260 moon watch why would you spend thousands for the steel model and why would you spend tens of thousands for Rolex chrono.

This move will draw a line between the watch afficinado and the flipper. If there is less afficinados willing to pay thousands more on a secondary, there will be less flippers feeding the frenzy.

I was thinking of getting another moon watch, and I will try to get alaska project from the swatch line to feed that craving for now or maybe ever. Watches shouldn’t cost same with a decent car and this move from Omega will open up a whole new realization. It will hurt Omega’s sales but it will hurt the whole watch market, just like the quartz crises. Omega must have something under their sleeves, maybe a wearable tech unit, to play the next hand after this bold move. But if they don’t, then maybe this will be the stupidest move that I will ever seen.
There's not going to be a cannabilisation of Omega sales. A high end mechanical watch isn't replaceable by a toy-like quartz imitation.

I guess Omega's is using this collaboration to help bring the next generation of younger customers in. On the other hand there's a risk that it tarnishes the Omega brand by associating closely with another brand whose positioning is quite different to Omega's.
mquarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 March 2022, 01:11 PM   #148
myporsche
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex♠Lange
I actually think it's one of the dumbest moves from Omega and they have had many. It really cheapens the brand and moonwatch lineup, making a mockery and joke out of it. It looks 85% like the real thing and has 100% of the functionality, its a slap to the face of current moonwatch owners allowing the look to be had for anyone and cheapening the line. They are selling out to their own organization. Another way of saying it is why spend thousands when we sell the same look and functionality for couple hundred bucks, also the themes are desperate trying to capitalize on a lot of trends and grey market shady tactics like the Alaska project which was a cheap alternative colorway, a gift for enthusiasts, before the flipper bros came along. I wont be surprised if there is a snoopy version soon, anything for $$$.
myporsche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 March 2022, 01:18 PM   #149
shaunylw
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by warren G. View Post
I can understand the salt from some omega collector. But personally I love this. This will be probably be scalped real bad. I can already see people trying to sell this for $500+

I’m fully prepared to pay $500. My concern is seeing a comma .
shaunylw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 March 2022, 01:30 PM   #150
henrylee
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LN Ceramic
Quote:
Originally Posted by mquarter View Post
There's not going to be a cannabilisation of Omega sales. A high end mechanical watch isn't replaceable by a toy-like quartz imitation.

I guess Omega's is using this collaboration to help bring the next generation of younger customers in. On the other hand there's a risk that it tarnishes the Omega brand by associating closely with another brand whose positioning is quite different to Omega's.

But you can get the same looking for 5% of the price. Why not just buy a cheap quartz and call it a day. It really cheapens the moonwatch look and history. This collab benefits swatch way more than omega.