The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 28 January 2023, 11:47 AM   #1
Dadnatron
"TRF" Member

Will they ever catch up? Rolex service hands

I’m looking for a good quality 1996 GMT Root beer. I found one on Chrono24, that appears to be in great shape. However, it appears to have had a Rolex service and new hands placed. The Luke is clearly of different patina than the dial.

I want a 1996 as a Birth Year watch for my youngest son. He won’t get it for a while, and in all likelihood would never recognize nor know about the difference, but I also want it for me until that day. While I’d love a perfect all original, I recognize the realities. My only real concern is how they would effect overall collectible value… and whether the appearance (which seems stark at this point) would more closely equalize with time.

The reality is, I’m buying this for me, with the thought of my son getting it at a later time. So, I’d like a good example with value worth what I’d pay.

575E83B4-78AC-4A71-AF92-FA48C0FDE4DF.jpeg
Dadnatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 January 2023, 04:14 PM   #2
Arnozerosix
"TRF" Member

Difference between your Tritium dial and Luminova service hands will not equalize with time unfortunately....
Arnozerosix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 January 2023, 08:57 PM   #3
TuRo
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the detectives
Normal on a 16753 or 16758 with service hands - they won't catch up, as Luminova doesn't age. Only option is to colour match them (which tones down the lume too btw), but most collectors here would frown upon it.
Well, give me all you got but not love"
DIFFERENT FOR GIRLS - Joe Jackson
TuRo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 January 2023, 08:59 PM   #4
Dadnatron
"TRF" Member

Would it be likely, that I could find some tritium hands that I could have put in?

I don’t know whether there is a market and good location for reused good quality parts. If so, I’d appreciate the heads up and perhaps a name or two of trustworthy sources.

TuRo… am I hearing you tell me ‘keep looking’? heh
Old 28 January 2023, 09:09 PM   #5
TuRo
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the detectives
What do they lume up like under UV or a strong LED light.... are they very green for say 30 secs or so?
I ask as I want to establish if they are service or just very white tritium ones (which they can be btw) first?
Yes, you can find old gold tritium hands quite cheaply but they are usually a shade lighter anyway. The for sale section here, or on Tapatalk VRF or good old eBay is a start.
Well, give me all you got but not love"
DIFFERENT FOR GIRLS - Joe Jackson
TuRo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 January 2023, 01:40 AM   #6
Dadnatron
"TRF" Member

More info

I haven't seen the watch, so unfortunately, I cannot say.

However, I did reach out to them, and they state they were never changed.

"Hello,

the hands are original Tritium and were never change.

Sadly dial and hands often age differently but please find attached a pic in daylight where you can see the color better."

Here is the new photo I was sent. I'm new to these older watches, and don't have enough experience with how they age. I would have thought they aged equally, however, perhaps not???

1996 GMT resize 2.jpeg
Old 29 January 2023, 01:56 AM   #7
Dan S
2024 Pledge Member

I am skeptical of the seller's claim. The first photo seems accurate, the more recent photo seems an attempt designed to hide the dramatic difference in color. However, UV photos will be definitive.

Tritium hands can be found. Moreover, there are experts who can relume hands with color-matched period-correct tritium lume. Either of these will add hundreds to the price, so keep that in mind.

Alternatively, you can keep hunting for an all-original piece. I don't really know what you mean by recognizing "the realities." Original examples are out there.
Old 29 January 2023, 02:04 AM   #8
1675-David
"TRF" Member

Great looking watch!! If the hands bug you too much get them relumed
1675-David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 January 2023, 03:09 AM   #9
swaini3
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1675 GMT, DRSD
The seller is incorrect IMO. Hands can age differently but these hands arent as old as the dial. As mentioned you can source better or matching hands and they're not very expensive. Unless its a really good deal and you know the seller and you have the time / effort etc to get the right hands, I suggest you look for a better piece.
You might be ok with it now, but ther's a good chance the difference may bother you or your son later.
swaini3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 January 2023, 03:46 AM   #10
Arnozerosix
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan S View Post
I am skeptical of the seller's claim. The first photo seems accurate, the more recent photo seems an attempt designed to hide the dramatic difference in color. However, UV photos will be definitive.
i agree, dealer is trying to fool OP...
Beside he said watch was serviced at Rolex, i don't know when it was serviced, but in the recent days Rolex SC used to change hands for luminova ones while servicing a "tritium" watch.
Arnozerosix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 January 2023, 07:23 AM   #11
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Dial and hands are not a matched set and often age differently. Most folks seem to like the tone to be close for both, but they aren't.

If the watch is something you like and the price is right, make a decision. It's unlikely that you will even notice at less than the massive magnification and lighting of a photograph.

A lot of enthusiasts have their old hands color matched to the plots and it is a common ploy in vintage so the seller can say "matched".
Old 29 January 2023, 03:03 PM   #12
springer
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT-MASTER
The "they age differently" is a mantra that is way over played by some dealers and others. Especially when the hands and dial do not match that close at all. A slight variation between the two, yes, that is possible, but this is not a slight variation.

For me, the hands on this GMT have been changed. It is somewhat common for hands to not match dial markers on many vintage watches because the greater percentage of the hands have been changed at some point in time.

INSTAGRAM USER NAME: SPRINGERJFP
Visit my Instagram page to view some of the finest vintage GMTs anywhere - as well as other vintage classics.
springer is offline   Reply With Quote