The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Audemars Piguet Discussion Forum

Old 16 August 2017, 05:12 PM   #1
Takonwong
"TRF" Member

Daytona 116509 grey racing dial or AP 15400st black dial

Which one would you guys choose? I know we're on the Rolex forum but any other opinions or pros and cons of either would be appreciated. I would just like some discussion to help make my mind up!

I am after a pride of place watch and I was about to buy the AP 15400st (2016) for £12500 (I understand you can get a discount on new ones in the US?) when I saw the 2013 116509 for £16000.

I know there is a price difference but that is not the point, either of these will be the most I have ever spent on a watch. This buy is for a watch that I will keep rather than sell on, having said that value retention is still important to me. I really liked the AP and still do but the 116509... It just seems more special.

Thanks all
Takonwong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 August 2017, 05:26 PM   #2
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

I would say AP as its a better looking watch to me. For value retention I would also say AP as the PM daytona will depreciate further than a SS 15400 I'm pretty sure.

Personally that daytona does nothing for me. If i was in the market for a PM daytona (or any daytona for that matter) I would choose the WG on oysterflex.
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 August 2017, 05:29 PM   #3
Busyboy
"TRF" Member

You will get a real kick out of the solid gold piece, and as for value retention... Possibly be even, but the rolex will be half as much to service
Busyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 August 2017, 05:52 PM   #4
Rachdanon
"TRF" Member

I was also in dilemma betweeb a daytona and an AP and the recent mark ups and under supply of the ceramic daytonas didnt help. In the end felt the AP was a cut above and more watch in design and workmanship. Just my opinion
Rachdanon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 August 2017, 06:58 PM   #5
SC11
Banned

Watch: AP ☠️
Quote:
Originally Posted by Busyboy View Post
You will get a real kick out of the solid gold piece, and as for value retention... Possibly be even, but the rolex will be half as much to service
Wouldn't really worry about service cost between the two!

The Daytona is 3 years older so in theory require it first and around £565 to service plus I'm sure there's a common part that needs replacing on these so typically the overall cost is higher where as AP 15400 is £750 but again there could be extra cost plus AP charge an extra £250 to refinish (which I typically decline however Rolex so reduce the service cost if you decline the refinish)

*costs are off the top of my head from when I looked into it a while back

But let's say you need this once every 5 years are we really going to worry at £10 per month Vs £20? (I've gone on your double costing)
SC11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 August 2017, 07:14 PM   #6
dmash
"TRF" Member

Have you actually put on a Daytona? I was seriously pondering picking up the new SS white dial. Saw in the flesh.......can't do it. Feels WAY too small for a chrono, and my wrist is only 7in. I don't care what anyone say about 'a couple mm isn't a huge difference'. A Daytona at 38.5mm compared to say a simple Speedmaster at 42mm is drastically different.........and a ROO at 42 is in an entirely different league.

That 41mm RO will still be way bigger than the Daytona on the wrist. and it's dial is way less cluttered.
dmash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 August 2017, 08:59 PM   #7
JJ WA
"TRF" Member

As much as I love AP, I would prefer the WG Daytona in this case.
I am not a big fan of the large, plain, dial in the 15400. For a 41mm AP, I would rather go with a ROC. Anyway, with the budget you have, I would seriously consider the 15202 (which imo is the nicest AP by far).
JJ WA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 August 2017, 10:55 PM   #8
Manofsteelpt
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busyboy View Post
It's about $925 to service the 15400. Is the Daytona only $462.50 to service?

OP, unless that 15400 is brand new or a blue dial, the price seems a lil high. You should be able to pick up a nice one for £10k.
Old 17 August 2017, 07:42 AM   #9
Takonwong
"TRF" Member

Thanks for the comments.
I agree with busyboy regarding the kick, I've never had a full gold piece before and the dial for me (grey with red) looks amazing. My other watches are SS.
But my concern (sort of) is along the lines of dmash, I've twice had the 116520 white dial and truth be told never really 'loved' it so sold it both times. It's not the main issue but it does look a little small.
I has the AP15300st blue which I sold (because it was smaller than ideal) but now regret and I do think the quality of the AP is a cut above. And I have been looking at the ROC, looks even better!
Old 17 August 2017, 08:56 AM   #10
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Originally Posted by Takonwong View Post
Thanks for the comments.
I agree with busyboy regarding the kick, I've never had a full gold piece before and the dial for me (grey with red) looks amazing. My other watches are SS.
But my concern (sort of) is along the lines of dmash, I've twice had the 116520 white dial and truth be told never really 'loved' it so sold it both times. It's not the main issue but it does look a little small.
I has the AP15300st blue which I sold (because it was smaller than ideal) but now regret and I do think the quality of the AP is a cut above. And I have been looking at the ROC, looks even better!
The RO or ROC are the ones for you now, also try on the new Panda and reverse panda ROCs, really nice.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 August 2017, 11:42 AM   #11
wach16
"TRF" Member

Watch: 228239, PAM00684
Thats a tough one but I would go with the AP...nothing like a royal oak on a bracelet imo

Rolex 228239
PAM00684
wach16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 August 2017, 08:19 AM   #12
Takonwong
"TRF" Member

I've decided to go for a 15400st but on a blue dial. £14000.
It just feels right!
Old 18 August 2017, 09:46 AM   #13
Manofsteelpt
"TRF" Member

Quote:
It just feels right!
Awesome! Post pix when u can
Old 18 August 2017, 11:01 AM   #14
red1108nyc
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex
Quote:
It just feels right!
Congrats! AP blue is amazing
red1108nyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 August 2017, 09:30 PM   #15
Busyboy
"TRF" Member

Perfect
Busyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 August 2017, 09:48 AM   #16
Reloko
"TRF" Member

Can't go wrong with this....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Reloko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2017, 09:45 AM   #17
Takonwong
"TRF" Member

Arghh!!! The watch has been held for a preferred buyer. To be fair the person I was dealing with wasn't aware of this and has apologised. I need to wait until the 24th, if he / she doesn't take it by then it's mine.