The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Panerai Discussion Forum

Old 27 December 2013, 05:57 AM   #1
maxsar
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
Little 40mm love

I don't post a lot. The main reason was that I sold the Panerai 270 I had a couple years ago. I debated long and hard whether to get a 40mm or a 44mm. I followed the majority of the advice I read and got a 44mm 270. It is a terrific watch and I got an amazing deal on it. Over time however, I decided it just wasn't for me and traded it in on something else.

I had two principle reasons. One was the size of the watch and the hassles associated with getting it to fit under a shirt sleeve. The second had to do with the bands. I prefer bracelets especially when I travel. I try to exercise daily. Having a bracelet means I don't have to leave my watch back in the room and/or lock it in the safe. It is also nice to have the watch with me when I exercise since I am often running on a tight schedule.

There were things I really liked about my 270. I did get used to the size and liked it even though it felt top heavy on my wrist. From a functional standpoint I found the GMT to be the most useful for me. I really like having the GMT hand on a 12 hour dial with an AM/PM indicator. I also just like the styling of the Panerai. I really liked and still miss the ability to easily change the watch straps.

So I sold my Panerai. I have missed it and in some ways wished I hadn't sold it. Then a couple weeks ago I had the opportunity to get a 40mm on a steel bracelet. Based on my initial impressions it is a much better option for me and my puny 6.5 inch wrists. It is easy to wear. It fits under my shirt sleeve, and it doesn't appear to attract the attention of people I am around. I have attached some pictures of it on my wrist.

I am not sure what my Panerai future will be. I like the watches, and at some point I might get another 44mm or the 42mm. The problem I have seen with the 44mm on metal bracelets is that they appear to wear larger than they do on straps. My observation is solely based on my experience in a Panerai store.

For now I am very happy that I bought a 40mm on a bracelet. It has been my beater watch since I got it. Below I inserted some pictures for anyone else who is considering going for the smaller option. One funny thing. When I showed the 40mm to my wife she said "That's a pretty big watch".
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo[3].JPG (33.0 KB, 195 views)
File Type: jpg photo[2].JPG (29.1 KB, 192 views)
File Type: jpg photo[1].JPG (30.0 KB, 192 views)
File Type: jpg photo.JPG (30.8 KB, 193 views)
maxsar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 December 2013, 06:09 AM   #2
Seaward
"TRF" Member

I have a PAM 120 40mm on bracelet, This was my first "nice" watch. The 40mm PAMs wear incredibly well and the smaller size lends to their versatility.
Seaward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 December 2013, 08:16 AM   #3
Cru Jones
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Looks like a perfect fit and nice bracelet, too.
Cru Jones is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27 December 2013, 08:35 AM   #4
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y
Icon6

That looks great on you and appears to be the perfect size as well!
subtona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 December 2013, 09:32 AM   #5
SMD
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP/PP
I have a PAM 48 on the old style bracelet (read, heavy) and love it. It's nothing fancy, no heritage, valjoux movement, but I loved wearing it almost every day for 5 years. Then I discovered APs and it has been a quick descent into madness ever since.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk
SMD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28 December 2013, 11:34 PM   #6
maxsar
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by SMD View Post
I have a PAM 48 on the old style bracelet (read, heavy) and love it. It's nothing fancy, no heritage, valjoux movement, but I loved wearing it almost every day for 5 years. Then I discovered APs and it has been a quick descent into madness ever since.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk
I have the feeling I might end up heading down a similar path.
maxsar is offline   Reply With Quote