The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Panerai Discussion Forum

Old 5 January 2014, 02:57 PM   #1
lapince
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5712
My proven anti scam technique

When I buy a watch from another source than an AD, I have a very simple technique, tell the seller that we will go to an AD of the brand to have it authenticated, usually just after saying this it's the last you will hear of the scammer, disappears into thin air, happened twice already, for a Pam and a sub C, and in case the seller is ok, I do go to the AD, did it for my sub C, my 233, 82 and 28, even though the 82 was from a very reputed company, watches.de, since it's a "shadow case" Panerai, which means no box, no papers, no "Amerigo Vespucci engraving", no edition number (for example G850/1500, but of course a serial number, didn't want to take any chances.

Why take the slightest risk when a deal involves that kind of money? For the 82 and 217 (I bought both the same day but sold the 217, 47mm is way too big for me), I took a train from Paris to Frankfurt, the others I bought in Paris, Rolex authenticated the sub free of charge, same thing in Frankfurt for the Pam's, but for the 28 and 233 in the Paris Panerai shop I paid 150 euros for each.

I almost bought a Pam 36, which was for sale in New york, I was ready to fly there from Paris just for the authentification, but it was sold before I could get the whole summ to buy it.

Come on guys, we are talking about watches that cost thousands of dollars, why take the slightest risk, especially that when you say the magic words "go to an AD for verification and athentification", if the seller is a scammer, you won't hear from him again…

I consider my "technique" to be 100% accurate…

Also I have 2 bank accounts, one "normal", and one where I can't go under than 0 dollars, if any transaction, is above the summ that I have on my account the bank refuses it, so whenever buying on the net, or selling on the net, I always use this account, for example if I buy something for 2000$, I transfer 2000$ from my normal account to the special one...
lapince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 January 2014, 03:18 PM   #2
T. Ferguson
"TRF" Member

Uh, OK. Though personally I find it much simpler to buy only from a reputable seller.
Old 5 January 2014, 06:21 PM   #3
Presa canary
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer ii
If the person has no intention of sending you a watch, why would they care about you taking it to a ad? This would only help with someone not sending you a replica. Just buy the seller, this is truly the only way.
Presa canary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 January 2014, 11:22 PM   #4
rolepam312
"TRF" Member

Seems like too much effort to authenticate....so you spend money to get to the destination possibly pay more to verify, then.........hopefully you buy it, otherwise you could've saved the money spent on travel and just buy it from an AD.....?

I'll just buy it from the trusted sources here on the forum....
rolepam312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 January 2014, 11:55 PM   #5
HL65
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: One on my wrist.
I have an idea...Post this in every forum here as I see you missed a few.

PS. I have a technique that is 100% accurate and far easier....When I don't buy from an AD I buy from one of the top, most reputable, and honorable gentlemen sellers here who I have known for years and trust 1000%!!! It works every time too and way more convenient than your technique!

SPEM SUCCESSUS ALIT
HL65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 January 2014, 02:17 AM   #6
simongpaez
"TRF" Member

Watch: Some
Fly from Paris to NY to buy a watch? No thank you
simongpaez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 January 2014, 01:55 PM   #7
lapince
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5712
Presa the goal of course, is to explain to him that you will meet him in person and go with him to an AD, in 99.99% if not 100% of the time if it's a scam you won't hear from him anymore.

Steeler and T Ferguson, Bernard Madoff was one of the most reputable and honorable persons in Wall Street, we know how the story ends don't we?

Simon, yes for a 22.500 euro watch I definitely think it's worth flying Paris-New York but that's just my opinion.

And once again sorry if I posted a few times but yesterday I read the watch out section and was horrified to see some stories, like the one where this guy sent a 20.000$ watch to Romania, so yes I over did it on my posting, sorry guys

lapince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 January 2014, 03:22 PM   #8
DCgator
"TRF" Member

Watch: DS,BLNR,SubLV,DJ2
Icon6 If the seller says yes, let's meet at the AD for authentication.... now what??

You're adding to the price of the watch you're buying with air fare, hotel, cab, etc. But then again, you seem to have the time and money (and maybe aircraft) to do such things. More power to you.My 2c.

*I meant the "buyer or seller" in the subject line.
DCgator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 January 2014, 04:51 PM   #9
93 Turbo
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex.Tudor.PAM
Be careful, recall a transaction that was done F2F in a bank and the crook/scammer ran out with the watch and money never to be seen again.

F2F is not always fool proof, so be careful out there when you don't know or have no history on who you are dealing with.

Trusted seller are always the safest option outside AD's as Ken says. J
93 Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 January 2014, 05:00 PM   #10
Gaijin
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: ing your back.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 93 Turbo View Post
Be careful, recall a transaction that was done F2F in a bank and the crook/scammer ran out with the watch and money never to be seen again.

F2F is not always fool proof, so be careful out there when you don't know or have no history on who you are dealing with.

Trusted seller are always the safest option outside AD's as Ken says. J
Bingo. In a nutshell this.
Gaijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 January 2014, 07:02 PM   #11
socalwatchcollector
"TRF" Member

Watch: Pateks Plural
[QUOTE=SteelerFan65;4644710]

I have an idea...Post this in every forum here as I see you missed a few.

Conner!!!! You funny bastard you!!! I literally cracked up when I read this! Oh man that was funny!!!! I can't stop laughing!!!
socalwatchcollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2014, 09:35 AM   #12
CMW403
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP RO 15400
Durr.. I just got the best idea guys.

We'll put CAMERAS at gas stations so that people can't fill up and just drive away. HOW GENIUS IS THAT? my god I'm about to make love to myself.

BUY A WATCH FROM DAVID SW AND YOU DONT HAVE TO FLY HALFWAY AROUND THE WORLD TO AUTHENTICATE YOUR WATCH, ITS AUTHENTIC.

Think about the money you'll save in airfare, honestly after 5 retarded ass trips you'll be able to grab yourself a seamaster or carrera.

Last edited by Welshwatchman; 14 January 2014 at 02:27 AM.. Reason: potty mouth
CMW403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2014, 09:46 AM   #13
Baco Noir
"TRF" Member

Watch: this ya'll
My proven anti scam technique

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMW403 View Post

We'll put CAMERAS at gas stations so that people can't fill up and just drive away. HOW GENIUS IS THAT? my god I'm about to make love to myself.

BUY A WATCH FROM DAVID SW AND YOU DONT HAVE TO FLY HALFWAY AROUND THE WORLD TO AUTHENTICATE YOUR WATCH, ITS ........ AUTHENTIC.

Think about the money you'll save in airfare, honestly after 5 retarded ass trips you'll be able to grab yourself a seamaster or carrera.

Wow, just wow. Were you president for the debate club in college? That's so well thought out and convincingly presented that I'm humbled to be on the same forum as an oracle like you.

Btw - I'm not defending the OP in any way. Just shocked at this less than condescending response.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Current Collection: Rolex 116710BLNR & 216570 polar Explorer II; Omega Apollo 8 Speedmaster; Tudor BB Bronze Bucherer Blue Edition; Heuer Heritage Autavia; Nomos Club Sport Neomatik 42; Breitling Aerospace, Avenger Blackbird, & Superocean 44; Seiko Black Monster; Mickey Mouse Timex Electric; and dare I say it...an Apple Watch too

Last edited by Welshwatchman; 14 January 2014 at 02:27 AM..
Baco Noir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2014, 09:34 PM   #14
kultschar
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP & Rolex
I can understand doing this for a super high end watch etc but for the average Rolex / PAM etc its slightly easier to buy from a trusted source lol
kultschar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2014, 10:21 PM   #15
FeelingTheBlues
"TRF" Member

Watch: If you wish...
That's a good yet quite logical plan, however, I much prefer to save myself the trouble and buy the seller instead. When I do business with people I don't know it's usually on Ebay and although I could be covered with Paypal I always do my homework, otherwise it's with less expensive, unknown watches so I don't worry about authenticity as it's going to be a watch that is so not known people wouldn't lose their time making replicas of it.

Quote:

BUY A WATCH FROM DAVID SW AND YOU DONT HAVE TO FLY HALFWAY AROUND THE WORLD TO AUTHENTICATE YOUR WATCH, ITS AUTHENTIC.

The OP's plan may not be good for you and perhaps a tad exaggerated for most people, however, I personally find that reply vulgar, uncalled and just unnecessary. I think there's a big difference in poking someone a bit and being simply condescending...
On va hisser le drapeau blanc un point c'est tout.

- André Fortin

Last edited by Welshwatchman; 14 January 2014 at 02:28 AM..
FeelingTheBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2014, 01:42 AM   #16
RUpanerai
"TRF" Member

Watch: Pam Patek Rolex AP
While this might work to avoid the scammer, you also alienate a lot of sellers because I would find the request ridiculous and would not proceed with the deal since its a waste of time. What dealers that give you a good price would go out of there way to meet you at the boutique... The boutique doesnt like this tactic either.
RUpanerai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2014, 02:29 AM   #17
Welshwatchman
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Very witty.

... or to be more accurate; half wit.
Welshwatchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2014, 03:24 AM   #18
Survivor
Banned

Watch: DSSD
You're a regular James Bond......gee, no one's ever thought of your "technique" before
Survivor is offline   Reply With Quote