The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Audemars Piguet Discussion Forum

Old 16 August 2017, 04:55 AM   #31
masterserg
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP
Original RG for me, no doubt. TI is very nice as well, especially the pics that have been circulating in here lately.

I also owned steel and FC ... and they all wear the same to me, with the right strap. If anything, I like the extra weight.
Old 16 August 2017, 07:52 AM   #32
APAP
"TRF" Member

This was my choice

APAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 August 2017, 08:53 AM   #33
Hairdude1
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP,PP, Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
Hey Alex

Orange you glad to see me.

16750, 26401, 5711, 116718, 116710LN, 116300, 16710"Coke", 372, 15300, 15703 (All Flipped)
Official Member "Perpetual 30" Las Vegas GTG 2016
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2017
Official Member 'WIS-CON' Las Vegas Int'l GTG 2018
Hairdude1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 August 2017, 08:54 AM   #34
Hairdude1
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP,PP, Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by benlee View Post

16750, 26401, 5711, 116718, 116710LN, 116300, 16710"Coke", 372, 15300, 15703 (All Flipped)
Official Member "Perpetual 30" Las Vegas GTG 2016
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2017
Official Member 'WIS-CON' Las Vegas Int'l GTG 2018
Hairdude1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 August 2017, 10:09 AM   #35
scrappy
"TRF" Member

Original RG
scrappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 August 2017, 11:48 AM   #36
Prestige_Swiss
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126610LN
I would do the old rose gold variation. I think the sub dials contrast well
Prestige_Swiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 August 2017, 02:36 PM   #37
Koala
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP 26401RO
If I could have either the old or new rg for the same price, I'd pick the new RG. I feel like the color scheme is more uniform, and just like the aesthetic ever so slightly more than the old one. That being said, I just picked up a mint barely used one a few weeks ago and love it! I went with the old one over the new one because it would've been 5k+ for the new and I don't like the new one THAT much more than the old :)
Koala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 August 2017, 09:39 PM   #38
P2725TMB
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: AP, Rolex, Omega
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koala View Post
If I could have either the old or new rg for the same price, I'd pick the new RG. I feel like the color scheme is more uniform, and just like the aesthetic ever so slightly more than the old one. That being said, I just picked up a mint barely used one a few weeks ago and love it! I went with the old one over the new one because it would've been 5k+ for the new and I don't like the new one THAT much more than the old :)
Sounds like we are kindred spirits - I have the 'old' RG44 and Rolex YM2 as well!
P2725TMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 August 2017, 09:54 PM   #39
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koala View Post
i totally understand the pricing difference between the two as the new one is, new.

That said IMO that is way, way too much money to spend on a watch to not get the one you like best. 5k is a lot, but not within the scale of how big of a purchase these pieces are.

Even if you like them both, there can only be one favorite. Did you consider waiting until prices for the new dial went down after the market starts seeing some more used ones for sale?
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 August 2017, 11:24 PM   #40
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1980 View Post
i totally understand the pricing difference between the two as the new one is, new.

That said IMO that is way, way too much money to spend on a watch to not get the one you like best. 5k is a lot, but not within the scale of how big of a purchase these pieces are.

Even if you like them both, there can only be one favorite. Did you consider waiting until prices for the new dial went down after the market starts seeing some more used ones for sale?
I would agree, at £30K, 5K is not enough of a delta to move me off my most wanted piece. Funny how when I joined this forum I negotiated quite hard over a couple of hundred quid on a SS Rolex.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 August 2017, 10:04 PM   #41
Foxman2k
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
I'd go for the OG RG as you have other white metal watches, and with the bezel and strap there is not that much RG there. Love the reverse panda dial.

There is definitely appeal in adding gold in this manner, since I never have an occasion to wear an all gold watch.

Both the new and old style 44Rg look awesome.
Foxman2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 August 2017, 10:05 PM   #42
Foxman2k
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem7v View Post
New RG. Take the old RG off the list.

I use the RG as my go to currently. It's really not as blingy as you think. You don't have that much gold, your bezel, pushers, and strap are all black.

I like the Ti, but for some reason for those colors, I just rather get a schumi if I'm going to go grey. It has that pop even though it's an all grey watch.

Why so definitive in opinion on "new" vs "old"?
Old 20 August 2017, 10:13 PM   #43
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxman2k View Post
There is definitely appeal in adding gold in this manner, since I never have an occasion to wear an all gold watch.

Both the new and old style 44Rg look awesome.
on a related note, Selfridges in London still has the old dial RG 44. New dial 44's have come and gone (at least 3 that i know of), the old RG 44 is still there though. Saw it two days ago. About a month ago the old and new were displayed right next to each other.

I like both dials although the new dal is my favorite, but its still interesting as i know the old dial is the general favorite among most people. Its especially interesting because people have had the chance to see both in the same place and at the same time and have gone new dial every time so far. Small data set i know, but as i have said before the longer the new dial is out the more its going to grow on people. The old was such a classic, its going to take time for it to gain the same level of acceptance.
Old 20 August 2017, 10:26 PM   #44
Manofsteelpt
"TRF" Member

Quote:
on a related note, Selfridges in London still has the old dial RG 44. New dial 44's have come and gone (at least 3 that i know of), the old RG 44 is still there though. Saw it two days ago. About a month ago the old and new were displayed right next to each other.

I like both dials although the new dal is my favorite, but its still interesting as i know the old dial is the general favorite among most people. Its especially interesting because people have had the chance to see both in the same place and at the same time and have gone new dial every time so far. Small data set i know, but as i have said before the longer the new dial is out the more its going to grow on people. The old was such a classic, its going to take time for it to gain the same level of acceptance.
Tyler, how is the rose gold color (new vs old), when viewed side by side?
Old 20 August 2017, 10:39 PM   #45
P2725TMB
2024 Pledge Member

Must admit I don't agree. I may be biased as I have the old version, but I've now had a chance to see and handle the new one several times and still prefer the old. It's the fact that it has the silver sub dials - the more black orientated dial on the new just seems too dark to me, particularly in dull lighting.

I think people are swayed to a degree into buying the new one simply because it is "new".
Old 20 August 2017, 10:43 PM   #46
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manofsteelpt View Post
Tyler, how is the rose gold color (new vs old), when viewed side by side?
exactly the same.

I know for a fact based on my new dial RG 44 serial number being J 35,000ish that the actual case was made prior to the SIHH announcement of the 2017 models and would have otherwise probably have been made into an old dial 44. I know that because my Ti 44 is J 70,000ish. So for 2 watches that were both 2017 new releases the serials could not be that far apart and actually have been manufactured near the same time, so RG case had to be made significantly earlier. The serial spread represents nearly a year of AP's total production.
Old 20 August 2017, 10:44 PM   #47
AshAP
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP Royal Oak
Quote:

Both are great looking dials and one is not better than the other. Jem7v is quite opinionated, some might say that he speaks a lot of BS and you could even say that this is evidenced by his Schumi vs Ti comment as a prime example.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
AshAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 August 2017, 10:46 PM   #48
Manofsteelpt
"TRF" Member

Quote:
exactly the same.

I know for a fact based on my new dial RG 44 serial number being J 35,000ish that the actual case was made prior to the SIHH announcement of the 2017 models and would have otherwise probably have been made into an old dial 44. I know that because my Ti 44 is J 70,000ish. So for 2 watches that were both 2017 new releases the serials could not be that far apart and actually have been manufactured near the same time, so RG case had to be made significantly earlier. The serial spread represents nearly a year of AP's total production.
Got cha, thx.
Old 20 August 2017, 10:48 PM   #49
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manofsteelpt View Post
Got cha, thx.
In person i can't tell the difference anyway, serial numbering aside. They both look the same although AP's official photos do not make it seem that way. That point i concede as i think all 3 of the new 44's were photographed pretty poorly on AP's website. The worst two being the RG and CE. But, the Ti looks better IRL too.
Old 20 August 2017, 11:00 PM   #50
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by P2725TMB View Post
Must admit I don't agree. I may be biased as I have the old version, but I've now had a chance to see and handle the new one several times and still prefer the old. It's the fact that it has the silver sub dials - the more black orientated dial on the new just seems too dark to me, particularly in dull lighting.

I think people are swayed to a degree into buying the new one simply because it is "new".
Just saying that head to head and in person the new dial is no slouch. A lot of opinion so far is based on not seeing it in real life. Certainly some will like one and some will like the other and that is a good thing.I know you have seen both in person and your opinion is certainly more valid than those who are going off pics.

Most people who are not WIS probably don't know what is new and what isn't as a lot of regular people do buy AP. They just get which one they prefer. Old dial is a classic though, and even I will say that.
Old 20 August 2017, 11:04 PM   #51
AshAP
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP Royal Oak
Quote:
Just saying that head to head and in person the new dial is no slouch. A lot of opinion so far is based on not seeing it in real life. Certainly some will like one and some will like the other and that is a good thing.I know you have seen both in person and your opinion is certainly more valid than those who are going off pics.

Personally I think the old dial is more photogenic but when I actually saw the new one at the AD I really liked it a lot.

AshAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 August 2017, 11:18 PM   #52
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshAP View Post
Personally I think the old dial is more photogenic but when I actually saw the new one at the AD I really liked it a lot.

Agree

I know you liked the new CE a lot too judging by the wrist shots at the AP golf event. That one does not photograph well either. I really like it IRL as i did finally see one.
Old 20 August 2017, 11:33 PM   #53
benlee
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, AP, PP
Quote:

I agree with this. This was my experience as well. If I did not get the "old" RG44 first and have to buy it again, I will still choose the it over the new RG44. End of the day, it's a matter of personal preference.

On a side note, there isn't anything really "new" in the 2017 44mm ROOs. For the RG44, it's just a dial change. Everything else is the same.
Old 20 August 2017, 11:36 PM   #54
Foxman2k
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Are the sub dials silver or white?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 20 August 2017, 11:42 PM   #55
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:

They are both depending on the light and angle, much like most AP white/silver dials. I've always liked panda and reverse panda dials so this would always have been the one for me over an all same colour dial, just has a lot more character to mine eye.

I only wish the D500 had panda instead of owl dials, but they are for the PM versions.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 August 2017, 11:44 PM   #56
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by benlee View Post
On a side note, there isn't anything really "new" in the 2017 44mm ROOs. For the RG44, it's just a dial change. Everything else is the same.
yep, just different dials.
Old 21 August 2017, 01:00 AM   #57
P2725TMB
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:

In honesty, both. They are a kind of silver but it's a matte silver, so they don't shine. I maybe wrong but I think earlier RG44s had shiny silver sub dials.
Old 21 August 2017, 08:01 AM   #58
jem7v
Banned

Quote:
Not a fan of the white dials on this. Too many different things going. The new one is more uniformed.

IMG_0813.JPG

IMG_0855.JPG

Like has already been stated, it looks way better in person than in pictures. Typically with the ROO they always look better in person than in pictures. So far only the blue dial RO (15202) and ROC do I think the pictures typically look better than in real life.

Again I didn't care for the white sub dials. It takes something away from the watch, makes it a bit more casual if that is the right way to describe it. With the black and added gold in the bezel, it pops a bit more. Looks that much more exotic, or..... a cut above the old again in my opinion.
jem7v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2017, 08:03 AM   #59
jem7v
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshAP View Post
Both are great looking dials and one is not better than the other. Jem7v is quite opinionated, some might say that he speaks a lot of BS and you could even say that this is evidenced by his Schumi vs Ti comment as a prime example.

just because you don't like an opinion doesn't mean it's "BS". An opinion is just that......an opinion.
jem7v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2017, 08:10 AM   #60
texex91
"TRF" Member

Attached Images
File Type: png Screen Shot 2017-08-20 at 5.09.32 PM.png (183.6 KB, 168 views)
texex91 is offline   Reply With Quote