The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 22 May 2024, 02:59 PM   #1
mile2424
"TRF" Member

First Patek...hear me out...and guide me please...

So as some of you may have seen I have made a couple posts regarding my interest in acquiring my first Patek and dreaming about which reference makes the most sense for the collection.

I think I have narrowed down my options to the following references...

5205G with blue dial
5905R with blue dial
5396G-017 with blue diamond dial
5172G with blue dial
5172G with rose dial
5395A with rose dial
5320G with rose dial

If I was fortunate enough to pick 2 of these for the long term collection and acquire them over the next 5-10 years, that would be my goal. Of course I like knowing the references will hold decent value over time and not depreciate like crazy, but of course the watches will be enjoyed and worn which is most important.

Keep in mind, I have not tried any of these watches on yet. I plan to visit my local AD soon to hopefully try on some models and see what I like. I have drooled over them on the forums, YouTube and social media for many hours.

5205G - seems like a very classic Patek design and a much dressier style watch than anything I have in the collection (mostly Rolex sports models). I love the lug design with the core out and have been lusting after a moon phase for a while. I generally like blue dials and I think the white seconds hand really pops on this model. Actually liked the Cellini Moonphase but never pulled the trigger on that one. I don't love the dressy croc looking straps, but I know I am sure there are a lot of other options out there. I dress very casually 99% of the time, so very much a T-shirt and shorts or jeans style at work and on the weekends.

5905R - The rose gold and blue dial combo is nice. Don't really need a chrono feature, but the larger size is nice and don't mind as I have a larger size wrist. I generally wear 40-44 Rolex models.

5396G-017 - Not a diamond watch guy, but the dressy look and subtle details are very nice. Main concern is this watch is pretty small at 38.5mm. I know classic Patek styling, but again I dress pretty casual and the size is a concern.

5172G - Again a huge fan of blue dials, and the contrast between the blue and white numerals and hands is very nice. This is where it gets tricky, I also love the idea of a salmon dial. Obviously one of the nicer movements, and the stepped lugs are very nice.

5395A - Love the salmon ("rose") dial and especially with the carbon motif or texture. I really like when dials have added texture or sunburst styling. I like how this watch looks a bit more casual, but the dial is pretty busy and I really have no use for a world timer. So all the cities on the dial are a bit distracting.

5320G - Rose dial, good size. Moonphase. Hefty price. Perpetual Calendar Patek? High complication they are known for. Is this the one to do it all?

So here's my dilemma and would love some feedback and thoughts.

If you could only pick 1 to have for the next 10 years?

If you could pick 2 of these 5 for the next 10 years?

The 5320G, 5172G in rose dial, or 5205G for that classic Patek styling if I could only pick one?. If I could pick 2, my initially thought says a combination of blue dial and rose dial. 5205G in blue dial and the 5172G in rose, or the 5172G blue and the 5395A?

Appreciate the thoughts and feedback from owners of these watches or others who took similar steps on their journey. If I am missing or forgetting any others that should be considered please let me know.
mile2424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2024, 04:40 PM   #2
ts3
"TRF" Member

A few thoughts...

For 2 Patek complications (which is what you seem to be after) I'd aim for a PC or WT plus a manual chrono. PC or WT over AC as I am not a fan of the ACs conceptually and because I find the AC dial designs soso at best (no matter if 5205/5905 or 5396 there are issues).

For the PC I can see the 5320G from your list but I might get a 3940 which is already a classic the 5320 may not become. The small size wouldn't deter me but then I am wearing a 3998P with shorts and T shirt as well (tall and lanky guy). If WT you could get the recently discontinued 5230P - a gorgeous blue watch. The 5935A from your list is busy and bulky and I don't like the printed carbon style pattern (reminds me of an old race bike rather than a modern Patek). Having little use for a WT wouldn't necessarily hold me off as they are works of art rather than useful tools (daylight savings time is one issue).

For the manual chrono I'd get a 5170 which I prefer over the 5172 by a mile. Ideally a 5170P - again a gorgeous blue watch - or a 5170G white for a lot less.

Just to add, in terms of size a 40mm Patek dress watch with a narrow bezel tends to look a lot larger on the wrist than a 40mm Rolex diver or GMT. Like you said, you should try on some of these watches.
ts3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2024, 02:42 AM   #3
rjohnston713
"TRF" Member

My pick on the list would be a 5320G but with the cream dial, the salmon for some reason just doesn't speak to me the same.

Great list thought. I am similar boat to you looking at 1-2 PP complications and finding them to try on is hard. Been looking at the 3940, 5146, 5140, and the 5320. Only steel that has ever looks appealing is the 5712.
rjohnston713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2024, 05:36 AM   #4
APman3000
"TRF" Member

I pretty much considered all of the pieces that you are now looking at. Where I ended up is a 5326G and a 5172G (salmon). I think the combination of complications in the 5326G is really cool and I love the look of the watch.
APman3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2024, 06:11 AM   #5
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y
Like This one.
No AD games, Available preowned at a steep discount.
Forget the rest, look to the automatic micro rotor perpetual calendar.
In an ultra thin cushion case.

Patek at its best.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg IMG_5150.jpeg (82.8 KB, 496 views)
Old 23 May 2024, 08:25 AM   #6
subtona
"TRF" Member

Better shot
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 6B143348-733A-4D7F-A4E4-8293BE8E2AE2.jpeg (171.2 KB, 457 views)
Old 25 May 2024, 02:01 AM   #7
jb335
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Cosmograph Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by subtona View Post
Better shot

Very cool and good looking watch.

What reference is that?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jb335 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2024, 02:21 AM   #8
ts3
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb335 View Post
very cool and good looking watch.

What reference is that?

Sent from my iphone using tapatalk
ts3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2024, 10:15 AM   #9
subtona
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ts3 View Post
Yes.

Ps Philippe Stern wore a round version of a similar watch the 3940 as his daily watch. Good enough for him, good enough for us all