Old 22 March 2019, 08:16 PM   #181
asiparks
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the Detectives
Quote:
Originally Posted by superdog View Post
Seriously.

Because they attended a show??

I respect the heck out of Omega for having the gonads to not attend. Imho, as a brand they are doing literally EVERYTHING better.

And now that the hubbub is over, I’m expecting some good stuff from Omega. Time will tell for sure.

I like Rolex watches. I’m wearing one now. But I’m not blinded by a brand. And I’ll certainly be able to give credit where it is due. Both make great watches.

Yet nothing quite like a Rolex fanboy. They are rabid.

Indeed.
Some people simply like watches, whereas others have their sense of self worth so entwined with "Rolex" and the need for continual validation that they're unable to accept the possibility of other great, possibly better, watches out there. Bit like the schoolyard bullies who angrily lash out at what they're incapable of understanding.

Congratulations I guess, to all those who have achieved "Rolex" status....
Old 22 March 2019, 10:30 PM   #182
captainron62
"TRF" Member

Watch: Air King 40mm
This thread should have been titled "Omega again left scratching their heads."

My opinion, and I have both watches and enjoy them both immensly, but Omegas does capture my emotion a bit more and I wear those more frequently, so full disclosure obligation is met.

Omega is again wondering why they build a more advanced watch movement, at a better price point, their watches are accessible and still folks will kill themselves and over pay for a mere 5 letters R-O-L-E-X.

We can all offer our opinions, but clearly Omega has to be befuddled.
captainron62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2019, 11:10 PM   #183
hassantg
"TRF" Member

Watch: Portugieser IW5007
I am still hopeful we will see something coming Tuesday.
hassantg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2019, 10:28 AM   #184
benlee
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, AP, PP
Both Rolex and Omega are good brands but they are different, each with strength and flaws and have very different marketing strategy that translate to plus and minus for us buyers. Comparing them is difficult. Not sure why all the mud throwing is necessary in this thread.

I own both but have to say my favourite watch of the moment is definitely the new 2018 seamaster.

Another point to note, what's Omega sales numbers? I know Rolex sells a lot more but I always thought Omega is actually not very far behind.
Old 23 March 2019, 04:07 PM   #185
Jakx
"TRF" Member

Another point to note, what's Omega sales numbers? I know Rolex sells a lot more but I always thought Omega is actually not very far behind.[/QUOTE]

On numbers: 7 brands that are part of the "Billion club" (not production obviously) Rolex over 5, Omega 2.2 as the top two. The others are Cartier watches, Patek, Longines, Tissot and most recently AP tipped into the club.

go to 8:00 in the video for these numbers.
https://www.watchadvisor.com/magazin...-bank-vontobel
Jakx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2019, 05:05 PM   #186
benlee
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, AP, PP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakx View Post
Another point to note, what's Omega sales numbers? I know Rolex sells a lot more but I always thought Omega is actually not very far behind.

On numbers: 7 brands that are part of the "Billion club" (not production obviously) Rolex over 5, Omega 2.2 as the top two. The others are Cartier watches, Patek, Longines, Tissot and most recently AP tipped into the club.

go to 8:00 in the video for these numbers.
https://www.watchadvisor.com/magazin...-bank-vontobel[/QUOTE]

Thanks. Interesting. So Rolex is 5 and Omega is 2.2. The average cost of an Omega watch across the board is much lower than Rolex, which means the actual sales number is actually much closer, so it is not like Rolex vastly outsells Omega in terms of quantity of watches.

If Omega is smart, they will try to target the hearts and minds of new upcoming watch buyers / collectors, those that just now have the income to afford a nice Rolex but frustrated by all the rejection, waiting and BS from the ADs just because they don't have a track record of purchase or first time buyers. The new Seamaster is a good start.
Old 23 March 2019, 11:10 PM   #187
zengineer
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaching View Post
Omega is junk. Wouldn't wear the brand. Just my 2 cents.
2 cents must have a grey market premium built in.

You don't need to like Omega or any other brand but that shows very little knowledge of watches in general.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
zengineer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2019, 11:34 PM   #188
captainron62
"TRF" Member

Watch: Air King 40mm
Quote:
Originally Posted by zengineer View Post
2 cents must have a grey market premium built in.

You don't need to like Omega or any other brand but that shows very little knowledge of watches in general.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
That is a very polite way of stating the obvious. Omega makes a fine watch, that is for sure. Mine keep time with my Rolex and hold up just as well.
captainron62 is offline   Reply With Quote