The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 24 February 2019, 04:58 PM   #1
MTBer
"TRF" Member

Jared Galleria and Omega sales..

Was browsing a Jared Galleria today and the manager claimed they aren’t able to discount any Omega watches (or Longines) because their stock is owned by the manufacturer and they set the prices, whereas with Tag, the store owns the watches so they can discount as they see fit.

Granted my last Omega purchase was in 2010 so it’s been awhile, but I’ve never heard this claim before. Any validity to it? Pretty sure I was being fed BS, but who knows.
MTBer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2019, 10:04 PM   #2
AEC
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Idiot Savant
Interesting. This wasn't in Buffalo, NY, was it? I stopped in at that Jared location last week, and the person who assisted me was excited to report that they're "authorized by Omega to discount the watches by 15%", which he said was rare.
AEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2019, 10:54 PM   #3
MTBer
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AEC View Post
Interesting. This wasn't in Buffalo, NY, was it?...
No, this was in Michigan at the Auburn Hills location. I’ve never heard of a non-boutique authorized retailer basically selling on consignment.

They also had a sizeable pre-owned collection but oddly none of the watches came with their original box or paperwork, and they claimed the original Omega warranty no longer applied. They said the watches were warranted for one year (ostensibly through the store) and a 3 year warranty could be purchased. These watches tended to have very minor, superficial scratches which in my opinion looked to be the result of mishandling rather than actual wear, so I’m curious if these were all grey market.
Old 24 February 2019, 11:00 PM   #4
zion_rasta
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT II ceramic
Omega demand is way up due to Rolex shortages. New SMP selling fast and it is a steal at retail. So folks expect to pay a premium for a $8k sub but want a 15% discount on an Omega?...

I don’t get the watch shopping psychology
Sold - Daytona 116523; YM 116622; Datejust 16233
zion_rasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2019, 11:17 PM   #5
MTBer
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zion_rasta View Post
Omega demand is way up due to Rolex shortages. New SMP selling fast and it is a steal at retail. So folks expect to pay a premium for a $8k sub but want a 15% discount on an Omega?...

I don’t get the watch shopping psychology
Pretty simple- take a look at what a Rolex Submariner goes for either grey market or used, then compare that to a Seamaster sold via same channels. Jomashop for example is selling the current SubC at approximately $2k over MSRP, yet offers the new SMP for approximately a $1k discount.

This isn’t just watch shopping psychology, but common sense in minimizing diminished value. Do you pay full sticker for your cars?
Old 25 February 2019, 12:07 AM   #6
JayHantz
"TRF" Member

Watch: @Escapementt
I purchased my Speedy from Jared’s in Colorado last month and was able to get 15% off. They had the new SMP and also said they could do 15% on that if I wanted that reference over the Speedmaster.
JayHantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2019, 12:46 AM   #7
1William
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
I would have said ok and gone and found the watch I wanted from a Trusted Seller for 30-40% off, slightly preowned and complete with the box and papers and an active warranty card. Omega is a watch that I will not buy new unless 30% off or more. I prefer pre-owned.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2019, 01:36 AM   #8
JR16
2024 Pledge Member

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
JR16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2019, 03:26 AM   #9
MTBer
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayHantz View Post
I purchased my Speedy from Jared’s in Colorado last month and was able to get 15% off. They had the new SMP and also said they could do 15% on that if I wanted that reference over the Speedmaster.
Interesting..Jared in Colorado must have different rules than in Michigan

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1William View Post
I would have said ok and gone and found the watch I wanted from a Trusted Seller for 30-40% off, slightly preowned and complete with the box and papers and an active warranty card. Omega is a watch that I will not buy new unless 30% off or more. I prefer pre-owned.
I’m happy to spend a little more to purchase directly through an AD when the difference in price is reasonable but I agree, MSRP currently just doesn’t make sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR16 View Post

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Exactly
Old 25 February 2019, 03:35 AM   #10
Paul_I
"TRF" Member

Sounds like you knew your answer when you started the thread.

Paul_I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2019, 03:46 AM   #11
MTBer
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_I View Post
Sounds like you knew your answer when you started the thread.
Assumed, yes. But I don’t work for Jared nor Omega, and therefore can’t claim to know the details of their business relationship. Affirmation of my suspicion provided by JayHantz, though annecdotal, helps prove that I was likely being lied to.
Old 25 February 2019, 05:43 AM   #12
mobster600
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Yes
I was browsing Omega DSOTM prices and saw a receipt someone paid full price 12k for it.
Has anyone paid full price?
mobster600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2019, 09:36 AM   #13
DonBateman
Banned

Watch: I like watch
There really is no reason to pay full retail for an omega.
DonBateman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2019, 12:17 AM   #14
DocHolliday
"TRF" Member

Whether they can discount or not I would stay away from Jared at all costs. I have never had a good experience with them and their jewelry is extremely overpriced.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
DocHolliday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2019, 04:00 PM   #15
MTBer
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocHolliday View Post
Whether they can discount or not I would stay away from Jared at all costs. I have never had a good experience with them and their jewelry is extremely overpriced.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It's a shame, because their selection was about as good as anything I've seen outside of Tourneau- Citizen, Tissot, Longines, Omega, and Tag, plus a couple fashion brands.

I was told they were allowed to discount Tissot and could probably give me $50 off
Old 26 February 2019, 04:19 PM   #16
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1William View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonBateman View Post
There really is no reason to pay full retail for an omega.
agreed

I want a trilogy speedy I think but even those I’ve seen for healthy discounts like new.
Old 17 March 2019, 01:37 AM   #17
MTBer
"TRF" Member

Follow up-

I received a message from Jared's Customer Care department confirming that the sales manager has the discretion to offer a discount on any item in the store. They had no idea what I was talking about regarding Omega owning the watches on display
Old 17 March 2019, 01:50 AM   #18
captainron62
"TRF" Member

Watch: Air King 40mm
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTBer View Post
No, this was in Michigan at the Auburn Hills location. I’ve never heard of a non-boutique authorized retailer basically selling on consignment.

They also had a sizeable pre-owned collection but oddly none of the watches came with their original box or paperwork, and they claimed the original Omega warranty no longer applied. They said the watches were warranted for one year (ostensibly through the store) and a 3 year warranty could be purchased. These watches tended to have very minor, superficial scratches which in my opinion looked to be the result of mishandling rather than actual wear, so I’m curious if these were all grey market.
No more Grey market for me, I purchased a Breitling and it was as you described, superficial scratches on side of case, but still had plastic on the band. 40% off retail so I bought on a whim. It was junk, ran a minute fast a day and when I had my watchmaker open it up he said it had for sure been messed with by someone. The screws were buggered up, so it must have been an amateur without the right tools.
captainron62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 March 2019, 02:10 AM   #19
MTBer
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainron62 View Post
No more Grey market for me, I purchased a Breitling and it was as you described, superficial scratches on side of case, but still had plastic on the band. 40% off retail so I bought on a whim. It was junk, ran a minute fast a day and when I had my watchmaker open it up he said it had for sure been messed with by someone. The screws were buggered up, so it must have been an amateur without the right tools.
That’s some unfortunate luck, but I wouldn’t swear off grey market entirely- I think the only truly dangerous transactions are the ones like yours and the “used” stuff the Jared location was selling. My guess is that manufacturers would never want their retailers to also be grey dealers, so the dealers obfuscate the origin of the grey watches by destroying/withholding original boxing and documentation/warranty cards.

Whereas with dealers that are openly grey, they have no official relationship with the manufacturers of the watches they’re selling, so their priority is adding the most value to the watch they can by keeping the original package (e.g., box, paperwork, warranty cards, etc.) intact, and never risking their reputation with watches of questionable origin and condition.
Old 17 March 2019, 02:30 AM   #20
captainron62
"TRF" Member

Watch: Air King 40mm
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTBer View Post
That’s some unfortunate luck, but I wouldn’t swear off grey market entirely- I think the only truly dangerous transactions are the ones like yours and the “used” stuff the Jared location was selling. My guess is that manufacturers would never want their retailers to also be grey dealers, so the dealers obfuscate the origin of the grey watches by destroying/withholding original boxing and documentation/warranty cards.

Whereas with dealers that are openly grey, they have no official relationship with the manufacturers of the watches they’re selling, so their priority is adding the most value to the watch they can by keeping the original package (e.g., box, paperwork, warranty cards, etc.) intact, and never risking their reputation with watches of questionable origin and condition.
Yes, I should have clarified, no more scratch and dent deals! I will buy from reputable dealers if everything is intact and as new. The problem is some of them are very vague if ordering online and you don't solve the puzzle until you get the watch. It's a jungle out there!
captainron62 is offline   Reply With Quote