The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 18 January 2019, 12:47 PM   #1
jbsmith
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytonas
Apollo 8

Looking to add an omega to the collection. I'm leaning toward a speedy at least 42mm. Came across the apollo 8, but not seeing any around for sale? Is it that limited? I like 44mm black moon phase on bracelet as well. Figured I would go moon watch of some sort since monaco checks the box for auto racing icon, plus omega seems to release more options in moon watch than their racing. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
jbsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2019, 02:19 PM   #2
sensui
2024 Pledge Member

Not limited. But scarce supply. Allocated quickly to a lot of regulars I know at boutiques. It's a cool watch for sure... But I feel like more will come in that same skeletal style with the modified/dressed 1861.
sensui is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2019, 02:32 PM   #3
jbsmith
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sensui View Post
Not limited. But scarce supply. Allocated quickly to a lot of regulars I know at boutiques. It's a cool watch for sure... But I feel like more will come in that same skeletal style with the modified/dressed 1861.
Thanks. Maybe more will become available and like the dsotm, price comes down from msrp over time.

Old 18 January 2019, 04:59 PM   #4
sensui
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbsmith View Post
Thanks. Maybe more will become available and like the dsotm, price comes down from msrp over time.

I would bet on that. Be patient. Great looking watch though.
sensui is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2019, 01:23 AM   #5
watchamatic
"TRF" Member

Saw this in the flesh at the Omega Boutique in South Coast Plaza. Sales rep told me they got the first 10 pcs to reach the US. He offered to sell me one but I had to decline as I had just bought an SD43 a week earlier and bought my wife an OP39 two weeks prior. The Apollo 8 was devastatingly beautiful and I hope to pick one up in the future. Since I was in a hurry, I was only able to take one pic of poor quality but believe me, the watch looks 100x better in the metal.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
watchamatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2019, 01:29 AM   #6
jbsmith
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by watchamatic View Post
Saw this in the flesh at the Omega Boutique in South Coast Plaza. Sales rep told me they got the first 10 pcs to reach the US. He offered to sell me one but I had to decline as I had just bought an SD43 a week earlier and bought my wife an OP39 two weeks prior. The Apollo 8 was devastatingly beautiful and I hope to pick one up in the future. Since I was in a hurry, I was only able to take one pic of poor quality but believe me, the watch looks 100x better in the metal.

Thanks. Wow, they got 10 pieces. Boutique in Atlanta told me they only received one late last year which sold. Did he offer any kind of discount? B/c it's not a le and the depreciation of current dsotm models, I would want a discount for sure. Thanks again for posting your experience on this watch.

Old 24 January 2019, 01:35 AM   #7
neeko
Banned

Nice watch
neeko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2019, 10:06 AM   #8
watchamatic
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Thanks. Wow, they got 10 pieces. Boutique in Atlanta told me they only received one late last year which sold. Did he offer any kind of discount? B/c it's not a le and the depreciation of current dsotm models, I would want a discount for sure. Thanks again for posting your experience on this watch.

No discount was offered. When I was there, 8 of the 10 pcs were already spoken for in just one day.

Old 24 January 2019, 10:22 AM   #9
stockae92
"TRF" Member

Quote:
No discount was offered. When I was there, 8 of the 10 pcs were already spoken for in just one day.

I thought OB doesn't really offer discount. And since this is new and hot , I supposed they are more than glad to only sell at list price.

Nice piece definitely. Maybe I will try my luck at AD later on (with discount) :p
stockae92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2019, 11:58 AM   #10
jbsmith
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stockae92 View Post
I thought OB doesn't really offer discount. And since this is new and hot , I supposed they are more than glad to only sell at list price.

Nice piece definitely. Maybe I will try my luck at AD later on (with discount) :p
OB in Atlanta said they could discount original dsotm. I didn't ask how much, since I wasn't as interested in it. I'm usually rolex, but thought I needed an omega speedy of some sort in thur collection. So I'm new to omegas way of doing business. Thanks for all the advice.

Old 24 January 2019, 12:05 PM   #11
jbsmith
"TRF" Member

Quote:

So they got all 10 in one day? Sounds like very recently as well. So much for limited production. Can u imagine if a rolex ad got 10 Daytonas in one day. The atl ob stated they got only one in last year. Waiting on more. I'll definitely pass if no discount, based simply on the facts it's not le and the depreciation of more expensive dsotm with co axial. Thanks again for all the input. Much appreciated.

Old 26 January 2019, 10:10 AM   #12
watchamatic
"TRF" Member

Yes, was told it is not LE and also, the OB only got it for 2 days and whatever they did not sell in those 2 days, Omega would get back and pass off to the next OB on their list. At least that iswhat the sales rep told me.

Old 27 January 2019, 04:21 AM   #13
Burdeens Jewelry
"TRF" Member

Here’s the Apollo 8 we had. Already sold but hoping to see another soon! I love the dial.

Last edited by Burdeens Jewelry; 27 January 2019 at 04:23 AM.. Reason: Smaller picture I hope.
Burdeens Jewelry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 January 2019, 05:31 AM   #14
jbsmith
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burdeens Jewelry View Post
Here’s the Apollo 8 we had. Already sold but hoping to see another soon! I love the dial.
Thanks for sharing. Great pic. So they are being distributed to authorized dealers in addition to omega boutiques?

Old 27 January 2019, 06:15 AM   #15
Burdeens Jewelry
"TRF" Member

All I know is that we received one and sold it. I do not know the specifics of Omega distribution to other ADs.
Old 27 January 2019, 06:50 AM   #16
jbsmith
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burdeens Jewelry View Post
All I know is that we received one and sold it. I do not know the specifics of Omega distribution to other ADs.
Thanks. You are an ad though right, so that tells me they just aren't shipping to boutiques only.

Old 27 January 2019, 07:32 AM   #17
Burdeens Jewelry
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Thanks. You are an ad though right, so that tells me they just aren't shipping to boutiques only.

Yes, but I cannot speak to what other AD's have and haven't received.
Old 15 March 2019, 01:32 PM   #18
jbsmith
"TRF" Member

I couldnt help it....I just bought the apollo 8 as my first omega. I love the look, size, movement, colors, 50th anniversary, etc. Was hard to find. Being told that although not limited edition, it is definitely limited production with no one knowing if ads or obs will get anymore or not. Can't wait to recieve tomorrow to see in the flesh.

Old 16 March 2019, 06:34 PM   #19
Rolexavidfan
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
Quote:
I couldnt help it....I just bought the apollo 8 as my first omega. I love the look, size, movement, colors, 50th anniversary, etc. Was hard to find. Being told that although not limited edition, it is definitely limited production with no one knowing if ads or obs will get anymore or not. Can't wait to recieve tomorrow to see in the flesh.

I have asked my AD about it back home and no delivery date. It’s definitely a nice piece with great detail, a bit large at 44mm but needed to show those details in ceramic case. I always thought it was an LE piece but good to know it’s more of an Limited Production piece.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Go for the timepiece you love. You will save more. ...
Rolexavidfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 March 2019, 11:51 PM   #20
jbsmith
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolexavidfan View Post
I have asked my AD about it back home and no delivery date. It’s definitely a nice piece with great detail, a bit large at 44mm but needed to show those details in ceramic case. I always thought it was an LE piece but good to know it’s more of an Limited Production piece.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yeah, I've heard some ads and obs call it a special edition. I can say that it was a lot harder to find than the LEs though. Greys offered me LEs such as CK, Hodinkee, 57, ultraman, and other apollos at lower prices. The larger greys I do business with here on trf had never recieved an apollo 8 nor could they get one when reaching out to their ads. I've never seen one listed for sale on trf either. Since it's an anniversary piece and not just another dsotm, maybe omega is done as some obs and ads have told me. Now that I have one, I hope that's true. Could become a real special piece. Either way, I bought because I love it and needed an omega in the collection.

Old 30 May 2019, 02:45 AM   #21
benlee
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, AP, PP
Is this ref still hard to get or as what Omega usually do, they ramp up production to meet demand? Just tried it out today, I like the thinner profile and the exhibition case back showing the manual winding movement.
Old 30 May 2019, 04:29 AM   #22
Stevec14
"TRF" Member

Watch: 321, Snoopy 3
Well, I can tell you in the London boutiques it’s been quite readily available. I think there have been 6 over the last 2 months or so (indeed there is one in regent street sat there today). It’s a nice piece if you like the size.
Stevec14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 May 2019, 12:51 PM   #23
KBM
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by benlee View Post
Is this ref still hard to get or as what Omega usually do, they ramp up production to meet demand? Just tried it out today, I like the thinner profile and the exhibition case back showing the manual winding movement.
Hey Ben, I was just looking at a for sale ad for one recently, from a grey in Europe I've done business with before and can recommend. Let me know if you'd like the specifics and I'll shoot you a PM. It was just shy of 10% off, iirc.
KBM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 May 2019, 02:15 PM   #24
Daryl
2024 Pledge Member

nice looking watch, i might add one soon.:)

Official Member "Perpetual 30" Las Vegas International GTG 2016
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2017
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2019
Daryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 May 2019, 04:35 PM   #25
benlee
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, AP, PP
Quote:
Originally Posted by kauebm View Post
Hey Ben, I was just looking at a for sale ad for one recently, from a grey in Europe I've done business with before and can recommend. Let me know if you'd like the specifics and I'll shoot you a PM. It was just shy of 10% off, iirc.

Thanks for the offer. But I haven't made up my mind yet. They are now quite readily available at boutique in London. I think Omega might have increased supply recently.