The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex WatchTech

Old 21 March 2019, 07:00 AM   #1
nice2cu2
"TRF" Member

Rolex Submariner C clicking sound research and questions.

Dear members,

I know that there were threads on this topic before and I researched them all and on almost all major forums.

My story :

I have purchased 2013 116610LN in a great condition from a reputable seller in my home town. Was enjoying my watch and decided to scratch my head and heard a faint "click click" sound. Took the watch off and gently jiggled with it. There is always a faint "cick click" sound coming from right side ( at least how I hear it ) of the watch. To be 100% sure it is from inside I took bracelet off and shook the head itself. It is definitely from inside the watch.

We don`t have an AD in town. Nearest one is an hour flight away. I went to a reputable watch service that also sell high end watches in our city. They opened the watch and show me inside. It was as nice as from factory. Nothing wrong there. All shiny and good looking. They checked rotor and all other parts and put a bit of "oil" just in case.

Watch master told me it is either spring or calendar ( I am not sure what he meant by calendar ). To my luck he had absolutely new 114060 in stock so I can listen to it as well. It makes absolutely same "click click" sound as well even slightly louder than mine.

I am 99% sure that there is nothing wrong with my Sub however my OCD is still whispering bad things to me

When I was reading past threads there were a lot of people who are saying that this should not be the case with Rolex, their Rolex's is dead silent etc etc.

So in a way I feel like I got a "bad" Rolex so to speak

There are a lot of threads like this but no definite answer why is it "clicking" ?

Also why some other Subs are not "clicking" ?

I hope that maybe this thread will find a knowledgeable member who can shed alight on this issue.

Thank you in advance and enjoy your watches everybody
nice2cu2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 March 2019, 03:57 PM   #2
SearChart
TechXpert

Some movements make a more pronounced sound when the ratched clicks when winding. I can sometimes hear mine as well, it is completely normal.
SearChart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 March 2019, 07:13 PM   #3
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
All mechanical watches will make some sort of sound the movement beats at 28800 BPH, and when shaken you can sometimes hear the rotor pendulum swinging winding the mainspring.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21 March 2019, 09:17 PM   #4
nice2cu2
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
All mechanical watches will make some sort of sound the movement beats at 28800 BPH, and when shaken you can sometimes hear the rotor pendulum swinging winding the mainspring.
Padi thank you for your input. I have a few mechanical watches and they making spinning/whirling sounds however never "clicking".

I can here rotor on my Sub when it is unwind. When it is winded fully rotor sound is almost silent. "Clicking" is always there no matter what.

What is different from my Sub and other similar Sub that is dead silent ?

Also maybe you know what watchmaker meant when he said it is calendar or calendar disks in the watch ( I am translating it from a different language so maybe it sounds weird ) ?

Just trying to find some answers because now my OCD is "looking" for this "clicking" noise as soon as I move my wrist

Thank you in advance for your answers. Very much appreciated.
Old 21 March 2019, 09:19 PM   #5
nice2cu2
"TRF" Member

The sound is louder when i jiggle it from 3 to 9 rather than other way around.
Old 21 March 2019, 09:34 PM   #6
watchmaker
TechXpert

I will echo what Bas has said. My own 116710 has a very pronounced ratchet click. It is normal that some are louder than others. Manufacturing tolerances (micros in difference) as well as lubrication quantity variances can affect how much noise movement makes.
watchmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 March 2019, 11:17 PM   #7
nice2cu2
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by watchmaker View Post
I will echo what Bas has said. My own 116710 has a very pronounced ratchet click. It is normal that some are louder than others. Manufacturing tolerances (micros in difference) as well as lubrication quantity variances can affect how much noise movement makes.
Thank you for your input.

Correct me if I am wrong : Both situations where Sub is "clicking" or dead silent are acceptable. This is so called " luck of a draw" if you get a noisy or silent watch. Of course there is a matter of individual hearing abilities.

A few other questions, I hope you don`t mind :

1) Can in actually be really dead silent without any "clicking" and whirling when you put it near your ear in a quiet room ?

2) What can be done with a watch to make those "clicks" disappear or quieter ? We have already used a bit of lubrication at my local watchmaker.

Thank you in advance for your support. Appreciated.

Old 21 March 2019, 11:32 PM   #8
watchmaker
TechXpert

Quote:
Originally Posted by nice2cu2 View Post
Thank you for your input.

Correct me if I am wrong : Both situations where Sub is "clicking" or dead silent are acceptable. This is so called " luck of a draw" if you get a noisy or silent watch. Of course there is a matter of individual hearing abilities.

A few other questions, I hope you don`t mind :

1) Can in actually be really dead silent without any "clicking" and whirling when you put it near your ear in a quiet room ? It would not be right to say it can be dead silent as if it is functioning correctly it will produce sound as it ratchets. The part is called actually called 'click', and for good reason

2) What can be done with a watch to make those "clicks" disappear or quieter ? We have already used a bit of lubrication at my local watchmaker. More oil will soften the sound but too much can reduce it's correct function. Could service the watch and have the ratchet wheel, click and click spring changed, but even then you may still be able to hear it.

Thank you in advance for your support. Appreciated.

All in all I'd say don't worry about it. Your watch is not supposed to be silent.
Old 22 March 2019, 12:09 AM   #9
nice2cu2
"TRF" Member

Quote:
All in all I'd say don't worry about it. Your watch is not supposed to be silent.
I also have Oris Aquis ( which is ETA movement I suppose ) and Ulysse Nardin with UN-118 in house caliber.

Both of them just making whirling/spinning rotor sounds no "clicking".

I suppose this is just because we are talking about totally different movements ?

Thank you in advance.
Old 23 March 2019, 12:49 AM   #10
Oldhootowl
"TRF" Member

I have a week old Sub C date, it also has a clicking sound when i gently shake my wrist side to side. I was concerned at first, but I am seeing a lot of people say their 3135 does the same exact thing. I cannot feel or hear the rotor itself on the watch unless it is right next to my ear, but the click is audible enough to be heard at arms length, certainly not loud but noticeable if you are trying to hear it.

I haven't wound it in at least a week, and it still is ticking away and running at +1 seconds per day. Can't really ask for much better performance, the click is strange to me though. It is spaced out as I gently shake my wrist, and it does not happen if the watch is slowly rotated, only a gentle shake or flip of the wrist will make it click once or twice, in other words it does not go "clickclickclickclick" it's more "click.. click...click" as I am moving the wrist side to side, and there is no change in the click sound or frequency at any rotational orientation so I highly doubt the rotor is contacting the case. I made sure it is not the bracelet as well. I'm guessing people who say "dead silent" just don't have the best of hearing and aren't OCD. I will go to my AD tomorrow and see if the few other Subs and GMTs they have click. (Precious metal ones not SS)
Oldhootowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2019, 02:31 AM   #11
watchmaker
TechXpert

Quote:
I also have Oris Aquis ( which is ETA movement I suppose ) and Ulysse Nardin with UN-118 in house caliber.

Both of them just making whirling/spinning rotor sounds no "clicking".

I suppose this is just because we are talking about totally different movements ?

Thank you in advance.
Different movements make different noises
Old 23 March 2019, 02:34 AM   #12
watchmaker
TechXpert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhootowl View Post
I have a week old Sub C date, it also has a clicking sound when i gently shake my wrist side to side. I was concerned at first, but I am seeing a lot of people say their 3135 does the same exact thing. I cannot feel or hear the rotor itself on the watch unless it is right next to my ear, but the click is audible enough to be heard at arms length, certainly not loud but noticeable if you are trying to hear it.

I haven't wound it in at least a week, and it still is ticking away and running at +1 seconds per day. Can't really ask for much better performance, the click is strange to me though. It is spaced out as I gently shake my wrist, and it does not happen if the watch is slowly rotated, only a gentle shake or flip of the wrist will make it click once or twice, in other words it does not go "clickclickclickclick" it's more "click.. click...click" as I am moving the wrist side to side, and there is no change in the click sound or frequency at any rotational orientation so I highly doubt the rotor is contacting the case. I made sure it is not the bracelet as well. I'm guessing people who say "dead silent" just don't have the best of hearing and aren't OCD. I will go to my AD tomorrow and see if the few other Subs and GMTs they have click. (Precious metal ones not SS)
It takes a certain amount of movement of the rotor to advance the ratchet wheel forward on click. That is why you hear a difference depending on how you shake/flick/rotate your watch. It’s normal.

And yes, if someone says their watch is ‘dead silent’ they just can’t hear the noises it’s making. Watches make lots of little noises.
Old 23 March 2019, 02:48 AM   #13
Oldhootowl
"TRF" Member

Quote:
It takes a certain amount of movement of the rotor to advance the ratchet wheel forward on click. That is why you hear a difference depending on how you shake/flick/rotate your watch. It’s normal.

And yes, if someone says their watch is ‘dead silent’ they just can’t hear the noises it’s making. Watches make lots of little noises.
That makes sense to me, and I was suspecting it to be normal My rotor is very quiet though, and very inaudible to feel. That impressed me, the only sound I hear is the click.
Old 24 March 2019, 06:19 AM   #14
nice2cu2
"TRF" Member

Quote:
That makes sense to me, and I was suspecting it to be normal My rotor is very quiet though, and very inaudible to feel. That impressed me, the only sound I hear is the click.
What you have described is exactly what I am getting. I can only hear the rotor when is super quiet room and very near to ma year but it is impressively silent compare to my other watches. The "click" is there, I must say it is more like "click click" almost always double.

The problem with OCD is you are "looking" for this "click" when you turn your wrist or something and you can actually hear it. In my case not in arms length but almost. Now I am always aware of it so to speak. And again you are right when you move your wrist gently it is not there. It is a certain flick or move you need to make to unleash the "click"

I will get over it however would be lovely if you can go to Ad and see other Subs and GMT. Just curiosity. In my country we don`t have any AD at all.

Enjoy your weekend everyone.
Old 25 March 2019, 07:15 PM   #15
nice2cu2
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Oldhootwl, were you able to get to your AD ?
Old 25 March 2019, 07:35 PM   #16
ppalasthira
Banned

Watch: SubC.5711.D500
My SubC does not have that issue.

Can’t help you there. But I totally understand what kind of feelings are going through your mind.

When I first got my PP 5711, I thought sth was wrong with it! Got really paranoid. But later found out that it was normal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ppalasthira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 March 2019, 09:27 PM   #17
nice2cu2
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppalasthira View Post
My SubC does not have that issue.

Can’t help you there. But I totally understand what kind of feelings are going through your mind.

When I first got my PP 5711, I thought sth was wrong with it! Got really paranoid. But later found out that it was normal.

So you are saying it is deal silent when you shake it near your ear ?

What sound do you hear ? Just wondering..

Thank you in advance.
Old 26 March 2019, 10:09 PM   #18
nice2cu2
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Someone wrote this to me and it made me smile :

First of all, I have NO idea why your Sub is clicking. But, please allow me to share some wisdom that I've garnered here...most of it from a Gentleman with the initials Mr. Dave Knoll.

1. Stop wearing your watch.
2. Please stop wearing/touching/listening/holding/jiggling/fondling/obsessing over your watch.
3. Immediately.
4. Put the watch in a drawer.
5. A drawer that has a key on it, preferably.
6. Leave the room where said drawer is and close the door to the room.
7. Go out of the house/apartment and stroll outside and look around you.
8. Have a nice lunch/dinner.
9. Do not touch the watch for another 2 weeks.
10. Yes, two (2) weeks | 14 days | 0.5 month | 1/24 of a year.
11. That's right...2 weeks.

You must follow this advice because if you do not, you will descend into a living hell the likes of you've never seen that was my life 15 years ago. I managed to turn myself insane over the fact that the bezel on my Sub didn't perfectly line up with the 12 hour marker, that the bracelet "clicked"...YES, CLICKED like your watch (I KNOW, I KNOW IT'S NOT THE BRACELET IN YOUR CASE), and that the extension links didn't lock perfectly, and that my bezel had a pointy "4" in the 40 marker on the bezel instead of a "flat" 4. So when you read Dave mentioning "pointy 4s" you'll now know what that's all about.

You also have the ABSOLUTE LUXURY, yes LUXURY of knowing that an another entirely brand new watch is doing the same thing! The Rolex gods are smiling on you. Don't frown back.

I wish, freakin' WISH, someone had taken me aside and thrown a strait-jacket on me before I started self-harming. So, please; in the name of ALL THAT IS HOLY ON THIS EARTH AND BEYOND, STOP! JUST STOP!

JUST. STOP. RIGHT. NOW.

PLEASE.

I AM BEGGING YOU.

See, I care about you. You were me back then. And I wish I could go back to that younger, skinnier, man and tell him that one day, years after he sold the watch, he would give anything just to look at that "mis-aligned" bezel, that clicking/sticky bracelet, and that blessed...beautiful...charming...amazing...non-ceramic...slightly off-printed pointy 4.

I miss my Sub. I really do. I want it back...just the way I bought it. I was too stupid to know what I was so fortunate to have. I had to sell it for financial reasons, but I think I could have fought a little harder for it 6 years ago had I not lied to myself that getting rid of it would be a good thing because of all the bad "mojo" surrounding it because of its "defects". But alas, it wasn't the watch. It was me and MY defective thinking. My feeling of entitlement that a Rolex should be PERFECT because it was so expensive. I couldn't see the forest for the trees. We rarely get second chances in this life.

I hope one day to own another Sub, but for now, that's not possible because they're sooo expensive. I bought mine list price at an AD. Just walked in, pointed to it in the case, and next thing I knew it was on my wrist. None of this one year waiting list/exorbitant pricing/special relationship nonsense.

So my friend, please follow my 11 steps above. Only after you've followed them can you go Step 12 which is:

12. Take that beautiful watch and wear it in good health. There's nothing wrong with it. The problem, if I may humbly and respectfully say,is you. And if, if, if, if, if, if, IF, IFF, IFFF there's something wrong, it will stop working and it's under warranty. Besides, at the five year service, everything will be torn apart, cleaned, lubed, replaced, etc. Furthermore, I strongly recommend/urge/beg/plead for you to smile at it several times a day and caress it when no one's looking. We won't tell, we WIS know. We promise.

Please follow this advice and,

I wish you all the best with your beautiful, perfect, awesome, amazing, wonderful watch.
Old 26 March 2019, 10:12 PM   #19
rushca01
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT BLRO
Quote:

First of all, I have NO idea why your Sub is clicking. But, please allow me to share some wisdom that I've garnered here...most of it from a Gentleman with the initials Mr. Dave Knoll.

2. Please stop wearing/touching/listening/holding/jiggling/fondling/obsessing over your watch.
3. Immediately.

You must follow this advice because if you do not, you will descend into a living hell the likes of you've never seen that was my life 15 years ago. I managed to turn myself insane over the fact that the bezel on my Sub didn't perfectly line up with the 12 hour marker, that the bracelet "clicked"...YES, CLICKED like your watch (I KNOW, I KNOW IT'S NOT THE BRACELET IN YOUR CASE), and that the extension links didn't lock perfectly, and that my bezel had a pointy "4" in the 40 marker on the bezel instead of a "flat" 4. So when you read Dave mentioning "pointy 4s" you'll now know what that's all about.

You also have the ABSOLUTE LUXURY, yes LUXURY of knowing that an another entirely brand new watch is doing the same thing! The Rolex gods are smiling on you. Don't frown back.

I wish, freakin' WISH, someone had taken me aside and thrown a strait-jacket on me before I started self-harming. So, please; in the name of ALL THAT IS HOLY ON THIS EARTH AND BEYOND, STOP! JUST STOP!

JUST. STOP. RIGHT. NOW.

PLEASE.

I AM BEGGING YOU.

See, I care about you. You were me back then. And I wish I could go back to that younger, skinnier, man and tell him that one day, years after he sold the watch, he would give anything just to look at that "mis-aligned" bezel, that clicking/sticky bracelet, and that blessed...beautiful...charming...amazing...non-ceramic...slightly off-printed pointy 4.

I miss my Sub. I really do. I want it back...just the way I bought it. I was too stupid to know what I was so fortunate to have. I had to sell it for financial reasons, but I think I could have fought a little harder for it 6 years ago had I not lied to myself that getting rid of it would be a good thing because of all the bad "mojo" surrounding it because of its "defects". But alas, it wasn't the watch. It was me and MY defective thinking. My feeling of entitlement that a Rolex should be PERFECT because it was so expensive. I couldn't see the forest for the trees. We rarely get second chances in this life.

I hope one day to own another Sub, but for now, that's not possible because they're sooo expensive. I bought mine list price at an AD. Just walked in, pointed to it in the case, and next thing I knew it was on my wrist. None of this one year waiting list/exorbitant pricing/special relationship nonsense.

So my friend, please follow my 11 steps above. Only after you've followed them can you go Step 12 which is:

12. Take that beautiful watch and wear it in good health. There's nothing wrong with it. The problem, if I may humbly and respectfully say,is you. And if, if, if, if, if, if, IF, IFF, IFFF there's something wrong, it will stop working and it's under warranty. Besides, at the five year service, everything will be torn apart, cleaned, lubed, replaced, etc. Furthermore, I strongly recommend/urge/beg/plead for you to smile at it several times a day and caress it when no one's looking. We won't tell, we WIS know. We promise.

I wish you all the best with your beautiful, perfect, awesome, amazing, wonderful watch.
That is fantastic! Thanks for sharing this, we should all be reminded of this!
rushca01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 April 2019, 12:45 PM   #20
Oldhootowl
"TRF" Member

Quote:

3. Immediately.

JUST. STOP. RIGHT. NOW.

PLEASE.

I AM BEGGING YOU.

This is the best thing I’ve ever read on a forum, wow

Old 6 April 2019, 12:46 PM   #21
Oldhootowl
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Oldhootwl, were you able to get to your AD ?

Yes every single Rolex at the AD had the click, my second brand new submariner has the exact same click. I’m telling you it’s 100% normal they all do it. Anyone telling you theirs doesn’t is full of it or does not pick up sounds like this.