The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 30 December 2018, 09:33 AM   #181
Andad
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcela View Post
0.5 kg = 500g

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Eventually someone had to spoil this thread with facts.

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 December 2018, 09:35 AM   #182
CorradoBrit
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonStone View Post
In my opinion, no reasonable person should expect to drop a fine watch on a tile floor and have it come away unharmed. The (alleged) fact the Cartier survived should be viewed as a dodged bullet, rather than a benchmark for evaluating other watches under the same circumstances.

That said, how do we square common sense with Rolex's claim that their watches must withstand a 5,000G-equivalent shock and remain "unharmed"? Rolex's wording, as well as footage of the test, suggest the watch can take a direct hit, and they say the watch, not just the movement, must remain unharmed. Are we supposed to take the claim seriously? Dismiss it as puffery? Or is there a way to rationalize it, such that the claim holds up, despite the real-life results of a drop to a tile floor?

The bélier test is at 17 seconds:
Does that also apply to PM models. Whole different ball game
CorradoBrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 December 2018, 09:36 AM   #183
JacksonStone
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorradoBrit View Post
Does that also apply to PM models. Whole different ball game
Rolex issues no disclaimer that the claim does not apply to PM models. Besides, would you expect a stainless model to emerge unharmed from a drop to a tile floor? I wouldn't.
JacksonStone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 December 2018, 09:37 AM   #184
DuchessofWinward
"TRF" Member

Quote:
In my opinion, no reasonable person should expect to drop a fine watch on a tile floor and have it come away unharmed. The (alleged) fact the Cartier survived should be viewed as a dodged bullet, rather than a benchmark for evaluating other watches under the same circumstances.

That said, how do we square common sense with Rolex's claim that their watches must withstand a 5,000G-equivalent shock and remain "unharmed"? Rolex's wording, as well as footage of the test, suggest the watch can take a direct hit, and they say the watch, not just the movement, must remain unharmed. Are we supposed to take the claim seriously? Dismiss it as puffery? Or is there a way to rationalize it, such that the claim holds up, despite the real-life results of a drop to a tile floor?

Thank you for your sanity here. That is my question posed differently. I get the tile floor (Godzilla) vs Rolex (Bambi) issue....Tile floor won, I have to deal with the consequences. But they say exactly that in their ad, and my experience shows the watch did not hold up per Rolex's claims

FYI...I am in the food industry, so I regularly convert into oz and fl oz.
DuchessofWinward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 December 2018, 09:39 AM   #185
CorradoBrit
"TRF" Member

Unharmed no, but certainly less affected. Gold is much softer and heavier.
Old 30 December 2018, 09:40 AM   #186
DuchessofWinward
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Ahhh....they show that test with a Stainless watch...
Old 30 December 2018, 09:46 AM   #187
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuchessofWinward View Post
FYI...I am in the food industry, so I regularly convert into oz and fl oz.
Yeah! I called it!

Not sure what prize I win though. I'm just gloating.

Wait, what scientific field is used in the food industry and how do you apply it? I'd think even a chemical engineer would use metric almost exclusively.
037 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 December 2018, 09:55 AM   #188
JacksonStone
Banned

Quote:
Unharmed no, but certainly less affected. Gold is much softer and heavier.
Let me ask a different way: do you consider Rolex's claim that one of their watches (stainless or otherwise) should remain unharmed by a 5,000G impact to be false? If not, why not?

The questions are open to anyone who wants to answer them.
Old 30 December 2018, 10:00 AM   #189
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Let me ask a different way: do you consider Rolex's claim that one of their watches (stainless or otherwise) should remain unharmed by a 5,000G impact to be false? If not, why not?

this doesnt pass the common sense test in by book.

You see a car in a commercial driving in conditions you know would be dangerous and stupid to attempt. I dont think i would be able to do that in real life, without getting into a high speed crash.

A laboratory test is a test in a controlled environment to illustrate a best case outcome. Real world is not a lab and cant be held to that same standard as you are not replicating a lab test.

If i drop my watch its going to get damaged... simple... common sense.... no advanced degree required.
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 December 2018, 10:01 AM   #190
Reddy_Kilowatt
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16220 & 216570
Quote:
Originally Posted by 037 View Post
Yeah! I called it!

Not sure what prize I win though.
In this thread, we all lose.
Reddy_Kilowatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 December 2018, 10:03 AM   #191
DuchessofWinward
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Can you start a new thread on this question? I really think this is the crux of the issue. It says the WHOLE WATCH not just the movement.
Old 30 December 2018, 10:04 AM   #192
mangoseed
Banned

Quote:
Sorry I only use metric. I'm 77.1kg
Wow then you better hit the gym, that is a lot even for some who is 178cm
mangoseed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 December 2018, 10:06 AM   #193
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:

I'd say no because of a few reasons:

1) The impact shown in the video is controlled. It's a flat hit on the caseback and linear to the strongest direction of most internal components. It's not impacting an irregular surface at an irregular angle and irregular trajectory.

2) No claims were made (unless I've overlooked them) on the exterior case, bezel, insert (or gem settings) or bracelet being impervious to damage. Survival isn't without damage. Something has to disburse or transfer energy.

3) I've seen what 5000Gs mean in real-world impacts. I wouldn't expect any mechanical watch to survive such a force.

I would, however, expect to call my insurance company if I ever dropped mine on the floor and it found itself in a yard sale across my kitchen floor.
Old 30 December 2018, 10:08 AM   #194
Dimaxxxl
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~JJ View Post
My understanding is they give you a credit for your old parts (cases and bracelets) towards new parts. For example, the cost for a replacement bracelet is less if you trade your old band in for a new one.

Wonder how they determine credit value on diamonds and precious metal parts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Dimaxxxl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 December 2018, 10:08 AM   #195
DuchessofWinward
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Yeah! I called it!

Not sure what prize I win though. I'm just gloating.

Wait, what scientific field is used in the food industry and how do you apply it? I'd think even a chemical engineer would use metric almost exclusively.
Food Science. You apply all sciences to foods....Chem E; ME; Food Engineering; Microbiology...and because we are in US, routinely go back and forth between Metric and English. (Hence ounces, Fl oz). Check your ice cream, its sold in Fl oz. So all calculations are done in that :)
Old 30 December 2018, 10:08 AM   #196
Rashid.bk
"TRF" Member

Watch: 12800ft = 3900m
Quote:

I dismiss the absurd claims expected of this thread.
The test is valid and not made to simulate the watch's survival against a crash to the floor or wall.
So I dug a little...just in the time you posted and if you search bélier test on watches, mostly a bunch of french stuff pops up.
But looking at the video carefully and understanding Rolex's explanation and seeing exactly what the bélier is(the name of the small ram)....
Rolex;
"This exclusive shock-testing equipment submits the watch to an impact equivalent to 5,000 G ..."

"Shock" testing equipment. It's a test. One that measures shock resistance of the watch and that the watch should remain unharmed and fully functional.
Well if you have a bélier ram embedded in the tile floor and it caused this damage then ok, let's go to court.

Otherwise looking at the video in slow motion it shows the watch is subjected to a very specific strike flat against the back, in a controlled environment and one that is just supposed to measure the shock resistance of the cased watch.
I believe in the test.

For one, I have dropped my Deepsea(like an idiot) on a wooden floor and it was fine, not one scratch and it functioned like a champ. The floor however had a nice dent. But that wasn't it, since I didn't learn from the first time, I also fumbled it out of my hand unto a well carpeted floor. Cursed myself but the watch continued unharmed, fully functional. I have since then been much more careful when taking the watch on and off.
This test isn't supposed to simulate the crash proofness of the case or crystal...I don't remember reading through the thread but the movement didn't need replacing did it.
It's plain common sense, no material is impervious to getting dropped and if one assumes based on that test, that it means your watch's metal(whatever type), crystal, and movement can be dropped on hard tile, concrete, marble or granite without a scratch, you are not understanding the point. All these years and cell phone makers boast more harder and indestructible glass and every year they all shatter on contact.

I can with full confidence and the same belief displayed in this absurd thread that the only place you can find this material and a watch that can survive being thrown across the room is in Wakanda.
And in Captain America's shield, which also comes from Wakanda. Vibranium.

Rolex just modified the name 904L to Oystersteel, give it a couple more Basels, you'll notice it'll be something like Vibralasor or Rolbranium....then we can all breath sighs of relief as we walk around dropping watches with glee.
#nomorepeacockrolex
Rashid.bk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 December 2018, 10:11 AM   #197
Reddy_Kilowatt
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16220 & 216570
Quote:
Food Science. You apply all sciences to foods....Chem E; ME; Food Engineering; Microbiology...and because we are in US, routinely go back and forth between Metric and English. (Hence ounces, Fl oz). Check your ice cream, its sold in Fl oz. So all calculations are done in that :)
In Food Science, does one do a lot of calculations that are irrelevant, use shoddy assumptions, perform incorrect units conversion, and fail to check one's work?
Reddy_Kilowatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 December 2018, 10:13 AM   #198
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Fair enough. Chem E and biology make sense. I'm surprised ME is used much. Unlike most of my colleagues I don't eat ice cream, but I get your point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reddy_Kilowatt View Post
In Food Science, does one do a lot of calculations that are irrelevant, use shoddy assumptions, perform incorrect units conversion, and fail to check one's work?
They get more leeway than aerospace and defense. A pinch of this... a dash of that. That's how my grandma cooked and it was always great.
Old 30 December 2018, 10:15 AM   #199
CorradoBrit
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mangoseed View Post
Old 30 December 2018, 10:20 AM   #200
JacksonStone
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mangoseed View Post
77kg is 169 pounds. For someone who is 178 cm tall (5' 8"), that's a BMI of 25.7, or only slightly overweight. That might not even be overfat if the person is muscular.
Old 30 December 2018, 10:20 AM   #201
CorradoBrit
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rashid.bk View Post
I dismiss the absurd claims expected of this thread.
The test is valid and not made to simulate the watch's survival against a crash to the floor or wall.
So I dug a little...just in the time you posted and if you search bélier test on watches, mostly a bunch of french stuff pops up.
But looking at the video carefully and understanding Rolex's explanation and seeing exactly what the bélier is(the name of the small ram)....
Rolex;
"This exclusive shock-testing equipment submits the watch to an impact equivalent to 5,000 G ..."

"Shock" testing equipment. It's a test. One that measures shock resistance of the watch and that the watch should remain unharmed and fully functional.
Well if you have a bélier ram embedded in the tile floor and it caused this damage then ok, let's go to court.

Otherwise looking at the video in slow motion it shows the watch is subjected to a very specific strike flat against the back, in a controlled environment and one that is just supposed to measure the shock resistance of the cased watch.
I believe in the test.

For one, I have dropped my Deepsea(like an idiot) on a wooden floor and it was fine, not one scratch and it functioned like a champ. The floor however had a nice dent. But that wasn't it, since I didn't learn from the first time, I also fumbled it out of my hand unto a well carpeted floor. Cursed myself but the watch continued unharmed, fully functional. I have since then been much more careful when taking the watch on and off.
This test isn't supposed to simulate the crash proofness of the case or crystal...I don't remember reading through the thread but the movement didn't need replacing did it.
It's plain common sense, no material is impervious to getting dropped and if one assumes based on that test, that it means your watch's metal(whatever type), crystal, and movement can be dropped on hard tile, concrete, marble or granite without a scratch, you are not understanding the point. All these years and cell phone makers boast more harder and indestructible glass and every year they all shatter on contact.

I can with full confidence and the same belief displayed in this absurd thread that the only place you can find this material and a watch that can survive being thrown across the room is in Wakanda.
And in Captain America's shield, which also comes from Wakanda. Vibranium.

Rolex just modified the name 904L to Oystersteel, give it a couple more Basels, you'll notice it'll be something like Vibralasor or Rolbranium....then we can all breath sighs of relief as we walk around dropping watches with glee.
#nomorepeacockrolex
Well said, thats how I take these lab tests. They are unique and don't replicate real world situations. Take the outcomes with a pinch (or should that be a fraction of an ounce) of salt
Old 30 December 2018, 10:45 AM   #202
JacksonStone
Banned

Quote:

[snip]

I believe in the test.

[snip]

You're preaching to the choir, but I do think you're misrepresenting the nature of Rolex's claim by reducing its scope. For one, if you look at the Tested to Extremes page, you'll see the description of the bélier test is under the heading, "THE CRASH TEST," accompanied by the claim that the force employed in the test is "hundreds of times more than a car crash test." That seems to suggest a type of crash-proofness, wouldn't you say?

Also, as previously noted, Rolex claims that in order to pass the bélier test, "the watch has to remain unharmed and fully functional afterwards." They say "unharmed," which implies minimal or no damage, not mere survival. And they extend that descriptor to the whole watch, not just the movement.

I do agree it is a controlled test, but the point of a test is to simulate the kinds of situations the watch might encounter in the real world. Otherwise, why do the test? Rolex says the point of the test is "maintaining the highest real-life standards of accuracy and appearance befitting of a Rolex." (Emphasis added.)

Quote:
It's plain common sense, no material is impervious to getting dropped and if one assumes based on that test, that it means your watch's metal(whatever type), crystal, and movement can be dropped on hard tile, concrete, marble or granite without a scratch, you are not understanding the point.
Then what is the point of the test, within the context of the worded claim?

Again, I don't for one second view Rolex's marketing and think that means I can go thrashing my watch. (I'm actually one of those oft-derided ponces who takes care not to subject his Rolex to situations for which it really was intended.) But that does beg the question, why is Rolex saying these things if the only way in which they have any meaning is within the context of a controlled-lab situation, and not in the real world?
Old 30 December 2018, 10:45 AM   #203
Rashid.bk
"TRF" Member

Quote:

You know, RM also boasts this same resistance for the Nadal watches, which cost over half a million dollars. RM designs and makes Nadal's (Yohan Blake's)watches to work in these G-force levels normally and requires that his ambassadors use the watch in their sport, which is why you see Nadal use his during matches.
The watch works and is tested. But by no means would I casually drop my half a million dollar watch on the floor.

What does this test mean. It means just that. If you can simulate 5000Gs of shock force on the watch then it will still work. We're digging in the weeds now.
The test even in the video does not demonstrate a watch smashing against, being thrown at, or landing at or in a variety of angles against a hardened surface.

Not directed at anyone person, but this feels like I'm having a conversation with a child who says,
....but Rolex says the watch is waterproof to such and such meters, then why is it wet when you get out of the pool..
Old 30 December 2018, 11:05 AM   #204
Rashid.bk
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Then what is the point of the test, within the context of the worded claim?

Again, I don't for one second view Rolex's marketing and think that means I can go thrashing my watch. (I'm actually one of those oft-derided ponces who takes care not to subject his Rolex to situations for which it really was intended.) But that does beg the question, why is Rolex saying these things if the only way in which they have any meaning is within the context of a controlled lab situation, and not in the real world?
At this point we aren't really discussing the test. We are discussing Rolex marketing language. Crash, smash, bang, Thanos snapped...
Common sense, it's plain ole common sense that no watch, nor is that test implying that your watch is supposed to survive being thrown against a wall with 5000Gs crashing, smashing or any other word and that the watch is to remain completely unharmed.
Your watch has the shock resistance of 5000Gs. An impact or Thanos snap that produces the force without the physical violent abrasive damage of falling from a third story window.
At 5001Gs(bélier test) the watch can and is then expected to sustain some sort of damage, like the spring hairspring, gets dislodge, a jewel cracks, the crystal pops off...

Here's my TRF Rolex math, free of charge
#1 - <5000G Bélier ram level shock = watch good
#2 - >5001G Bélier ram level shock = watch NO good
#3 - >2G butter finger dropped peacock Rolex on hard surface = catastrophic
#4 - Thanos snap = both 2 and 3 plus call Captain Marvel
Old 30 December 2018, 11:11 AM   #205
JacksonStone
Banned

Quote:
At this point we aren't really discussing the test. We are discussing Rolex marketing language.
Yes, that's exactly what I'm discussing. The test is the test, but the claim (i.e., marketing language) accompanying the test is something else. We got here because OP was discussing the veracity of the claim with an eye toward suing Rolex for false advertising. Legally and (especially) practically, that's beyond absurd, but academically, I did start to question whether Rolex was dealing straight with their claims.

Quote:
I can't argue with that.
Old 30 December 2018, 11:12 AM   #206
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
This has me crying laughing. Well done.
Old 30 December 2018, 11:28 AM   #207
77T
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

The Rolex marketing psycho-babble states, “impact equivalent to 5,000 G”.

Focus your attention on the word equivalent and pay attention to mass. There are so many ways to discuss the theoretical factors that I’d say there is no way to discuss this without the Rolex prevaricater in the room with me.

The movement weight perhaps 30 grams, therefore one could also say 5,000 G = the force of a 390 pound man falling to the floor wearing his Rolex.

I agree with Rashid’s rules - catastrophe is just a 3’ drop to the floor as your watch slips out of your hands.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 December 2018, 11:41 AM   #208
haven_seeker
"TRF" Member

Watch: 19018N OQ
Rolex has been the most reliable watch brand I've ever owned. And I have a solid gold model in my collection.

My best advice for longevity: don't drop it, from any height!

I dropped my Piaget and had to send it for service. Does this make it like a delicate flower? No. I paid the service fee (got a new movement out of the ordeal) and life moved on.
haven_seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 December 2018, 11:48 AM   #209
Rashid.bk
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Yes, that's exactly what I'm discussing. The test is the test, but the claim (i.e., marketing language) accompanying the test is something else. We got here because OP was discussing the veracity of the claim with an eye toward suing Rolex for false advertising. Legally and (especially) practically, that's beyond absurd, but academically, I did start to question whether Rolex was dealing straight with their claims.

I can't argue with that.
Quote:
This has me crying laughing. Well done.
I'm a simple man. Usually it takes crayons, papers and pictures to get me to understand something. None were ever needed to let me know dropping a watch is no bueno. As for Rolex marketing and word play...
Rolex has more complex lingo and word play than a Lil Wayne rap song.
I'm still deciphering "first waterproof watch"....good luck with that one.
Old 30 December 2018, 11:49 AM   #210
DuchessofWinward
"TRF" Member

Actually - I think I am going through the 7 stages of grief on this post:
1. SHOCK & DENIAL- First post
2. PAIN & GUILT- page 4
3. ANGER & BARGAINING-about when I wrote the letter
4. DEPRESSION, REFLECTION, LONELINESS-I skipped this, generally a happy person
5. THE UPWARD TURN- this was finding out insurance covered it
6. RECONSTRUCTION & WORKING THROUGH- where I am now
7. ACCEPTANCE & HOPE-probably once I get the watch back