The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 4 June 2021, 04:47 AM   #1
4fiftynine
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT 16750
Help with 16750 restoration

Hi all! I recently (~5 months ago) picked up a matte 16750, 8.1m serial. It's my first "vintage" Rolex watch and I had put in a lot of time into researching the nuances in dials, inserts, etc. between GMT references.

Finally settled on this particular watch based on condition and budget and, boy, am I loving it! Have been wearing it as my daily ever since.

However, given the age of the watch, some visible parts have been replaced, likely through normal service by its previous owner(s). The date wheel, for example, is not period correct as it's with closed 6 and 9s. Doesn't bother me but will think about replacing it in the future to make it more period correct.

My question to this community is around the bezel ring of this watch. Does the bezel ring look like it's correct for the watch?

To my eye, it looks like the bezel is newer given the polished condition of the watch case. But it also looks like the bezel teeth are sharper when compared to pictures of other 16750s in the wild. Would love to hear your thoughts on this!

FWIW, I'm set on keeping this watch for life - the collector in me wants it to also be in a collector's condition
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1018_20.jpg (121.0 KB, 364 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1013_3_20.jpg (117.3 KB, 361 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1014_20.jpg (108.0 KB, 362 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1015_20.jpg (82.9 KB, 362 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1019_20.jpg (80.6 KB, 360 views)
4fiftynine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 June 2021, 11:16 AM   #2
214270Explorer
"TRF" Member

Watch: me buy Watches
You can contact CW21 watchmaker Phillip Ridley in Arizona.
He specializes in vintage Rolex and has a beyond-excellent rating with forum members.
Phillip will discuss the watch with you, if you are interested in making/keeping it 'period correct.'

Phillip@ridleywatchmakers.com
Ridleywatchmakers.com

Rolex "some"
Tudor "some"
Damasko "some"
Misc Pieces "some"
Marathon "some"
GS Spring Drive "some"
Hamilton "some"
Findeisen "some"
214270Explorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 June 2021, 11:35 AM   #3
Jackie Daytona
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 16750
Personally I think they do look a little deeper like you mentioned. Mine I believe are a little more shallow and elongated than those. I may be mistaken though. The bezel on mine is the original from 82.

Trying to find a good picture I just cleaned a lot of pictures from my phone
Old 4 June 2021, 11:54 AM   #4
Jackie Daytona
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 16750

Admittedly not great pictures, I’ll try and get some better pictures when it comes back from getting an estimate. 74xxxx serial
Old 4 June 2021, 12:31 PM   #5
Hkspwrsche
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4fiftynine View Post
Hi all! I recently (~5 months ago) picked up a matte 16750, 8.1m serial. It's my first "vintage" Rolex watch and I had put in a lot of time into researching the nuances in dials, inserts, etc. between GMT references.

Finally settled on this particular watch based on condition and budget and, boy, am I loving it! Have been wearing it as my daily ever since.

However, given the age of the watch, some visible parts have been replaced, likely through normal service by its previous owner(s). The date wheel, for example, is not period correct as it's with closed 6 and 9s. Doesn't bother me but will think about replacing it in the future to make it more period correct.

My question to this community is around the bezel ring of this watch. Does the bezel ring look like it's correct for the watch?

To my eye, it looks like the bezel is newer given the polished condition of the watch case. But it also looks like the bezel teeth are sharper when compared to pictures of other 16750s in the wild. Would love to hear your thoughts on this!

FWIW, I'm set on keeping this watch for life - the collector in me wants it to also be in a collector's condition
Use an LED lamp and see if the hands and dial charge up also before you talk to Ridley.
Old 4 June 2021, 12:36 PM   #6
Hkspwrsche
"TRF" Member

My Instagram has a higher res photos of my original bezel. That was the only thing changed on service on my one owner watch. Mine is an 82
Old 4 June 2021, 01:37 PM   #7
springer
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT-MASTER
Looks like an original insert as well as the bezel.

INSTAGRAM USER NAME: SPRINGERJFP
Visit my Instagram page to view some of the finest vintage GMTs anywhere - as well as other vintage classics.
springer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3 July 2021, 02:27 AM   #8
Wally62
"TRF" Member

Hi, my name is Valter and I'm from Italy. I'm a small Rolex collector...
Congratulation for your watch ! very nice.
Recently I both a 16750 from 1981 and I have the same doubts about the bezel insert. Having said that , things are more complicated than I thought ... to define if the bezel is the original one I was told that you need to consider two things : 1) the font go the numbers 2) the back color of the bezel it could be red or blue..Now many people say that the first 16750 are back red others the other way around. I have no idea . Any inputs from your side ? thanks and Regards Valter
Wally62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 July 2021, 11:10 AM   #9
Boaters
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610LV 16710 SD
Beautiful piece maybe change the date wheel at service other than that wear it and enjoy it
Boaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 July 2021, 12:11 PM   #10
zapokee
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally62 View Post
How small are you?
zapokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 July 2021, 12:26 PM   #11
springer
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT-MASTER
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally62 View Post
Congratulation for your watch ! very nice.
Recently I both a 16750 from 1981 and I have the same doubts about the bezel insert. Having said that , things are more complicated than I thought ... to define if the bezel is the original one I was told that you need to consider two things : 1) the font go the numbers 2) the back color of the bezel it could be red or blue..Now many people say that the first 16750 are back red others the other way around. I have no idea . Any inputs from your side ? thanks and Regards Valter
I just read your post and I am confused. Do you have concerns regarding the bezel (that would be the stainless steel ring) or the bezel insert? Two different components.

INSTAGRAM USER NAME: SPRINGERJFP
Visit my Instagram page to view some of the finest vintage GMTs anywhere - as well as other vintage classics.
springer is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
16750 , gmt , matte dial , vintage