The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 24 May 2020, 08:44 PM   #61
Nav01L
"TRF" Member

We live in a world in which nobility (as a behavioral pattern rather than a merely nominal title) has receded to a point where „flexing“ has not only become socially acceptable, but actually something your kids will spend your money to listen to. However gauche and unsophisticated it may be, in today’s day and age luxury will only generate broad demand if its recognizable enough to the masses. And the masses do not have the time or interest to think about what distinguishes a Lange, all they want to see is the Naughty Lucie‘s ugly ears, a Rolex crown or the plastic fantastic colors of an RM. Sad but true, in such a world, even 5k watches a year is oversupply.

Remember, the dignity you surrender at your AD‘s doorstep will never be recovered by wearing the watch he may get you.
Nav01L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2020, 12:50 PM   #62
sya
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MILGAUSS88 View Post
I was looking at the Lange 1815 Annual Calendar retail $43,800 and Pateks 5146 Annual Calendar, retail $43,090.

You can easily find several Patek 5146s for under $27,000 on Chrono24, even some under $25k. You are going to pay north of $30k for the Lange 1815 AC.

So, I really do not understand this image that Lange's resale is so much worse than Patek.

Once you get outside the Nautilus and Aquanaut, most of Patek's watches do not have a good resale value.
This is so true. You can't compare apples to oranges. Lange vs a Nautilus / Aquanaut is not a fair comparison as far as depreciation is concerned. Because we all know, world is going crazy for these sports models these days. But if you compare it with a Perp / Annual calendar Patek, or any Calatrava, the depreciation is about the same %
sya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2020, 01:45 PM   #63
billfredericks
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Milgauss
Quote:
Originally Posted by sya View Post
This is so true. You can't compare apples to oranges. Lange vs a Nautilus / Aquanaut is not a fair comparison as far as depreciation is concerned. Because we all know, world is going crazy for these sports models these days. But if you compare it with a Perp / Annual calendar Patek, or any Calatrava, the depreciation is about the same %
+1

30-35% drop on ALS Saxonia Thin and PP 5196 (just for comparable examples).
billfredericks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2020, 02:19 AM   #64
antelope
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by conkers View Post
Used Langes are spectacular value for the quality you get.
great taste!! I love my 410.038. I really dont care what its worth on the 2nd market as I would never sell mine. The only complaint I have is that it is only 36 hour power reserve. I believe in the brand and happy to support them. Great people at ALS and I feel good about my purchases.
antelope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2020, 11:07 AM   #65
vman
"TRF" Member

Watch: less TV
Quote:
Originally Posted by billfredericks View Post
+1

30-35% drop on ALS Saxonia Thin and PP 5196 (just for comparable examples).
Yeah, and it is strange because 5196 is pretty pedestrian compared to Saxonia Thin... In any case, I have seen some ALS Thin models on this forum at very attractive pricing and I am loving it.
Old 28 May 2020, 04:21 PM   #66
Nav01L
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sya View Post
Yes, I think it’s about them being conservative dress watches that take some knowledge to recognize and appreciate, rather than a particular brand. The thing with such dress watches is that they follow a relatively narrow code on how they look from the outside. To the uninformed, they thus all look the same and, as a consequence, give no bragging rights. It’s like the people complaining that the 11.59 looks like a Daniel Wellington. If they cared about the guts and details of the watch, that wouldn’t really matter, but since all most people care about is displaying wealth, it’s hugely detrimental to the 11:59‘s market value. Same to lesser extents with Lange and most Pateks.

Remember, the dignity you surrender at your AD‘s doorstep will never be recovered by wearing the watch he may get you.
Nav01L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2022, 03:40 AM   #67
Fifteen
Banned

Slightly old thread. But has anyone been able to get a discount at a boutique recently for an 1815 chrono or L1?
Fifteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2022, 03:58 AM   #68
fullofboats
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fifteen View Post
Slightly old thread. But has anyone been able to get a discount at a boutique recently for an 1815 chrono or L1?
Boutiques don’t discount. An AD might give you 5-10% if you get lucky but the days of +20% discounts are gone.
fullofboats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2022, 05:25 AM   #69
Uncle2002
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullofboats View Post
Boutiques don’t discount. An AD might give you 5-10% if you get lucky but the days of +20% discounts are gone.
I negotiated a ~13% discount on an 1815 Up/Down back in October from an AD. Note I called from out of town and they had the watch in inventory. Deal was done over the phone in about an hour (with several rounds of back and forth) and they shipped to me.
Uncle2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2022, 08:57 AM   #70
RoscoPico
"TRF" Member

Watch: ingMe,WatchingYou.
It's nothing more than herd mentality and masterful advertising, oh and some supply/demand.
Similar to Omega one might say, although they really make a lot of watches. Great bang for your buck.
But this brand should be just as hot as any of the others, in terms of quality. But simply aren't. I see it as a blessing.
RoscoPico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2022, 01:04 PM   #71
Moondoggy
"TRF" Member

Watch: and wait
To the moronic flexers, they just look a bit old fashioned.

Such a superior watch to Rolex.
Moondoggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2022, 07:09 PM   #72
londonpilgrim
"TRF" Member

Dress watches are a harder sell to the Instagram crowd... which is fine by me. I'd rather have a PP perpetual calendar on a leather strap and a 5711.
londonpilgrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 April 2022, 06:03 AM   #73
Juan Luis
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Undecided
I have been in recent weeks to the Lange boutiques in Miami and New York. There is a definite supply versus demand shortage. Not surprising with 4000+ yearly production. I saw plenty of exhibition only watches a la Rolex.
Juan Luis is offline   Reply With Quote