The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 22 June 2011, 07:13 PM   #1
twodee

Watch: PAM Luminor Destro
1998 rolex submariner 2-tone stainless/18kt blue face

Just wondering what to expect to pay for 1 of these in very good condition, with very little flex in the band. No Box or Papers, but purchasing from a respected Used Rolex dealer in Florida. I checked e-bay and they go between $5000-$6000.

I was also wondering if there was anything Unique about the year 1998 since I think Rolex made some detailed changes the following year. Is a 1998 a desirable year? Or is it just as good as any other previous years? Thanks for the help in advance.
twodee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2011, 08:30 PM   #2
Art 1
Banned

Watch: Rol/Seik/Tud/Omega
1998 is not special. The late A series, mid 2000, is when the SEL bracelet started along with the gold through clasp and also had tritium. There are many of these watches for sale on the second hand market. If it were me I would be looking for anything past that with box and papers. Prices are usually around 6k or so for those.
Art 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2011, 10:00 PM   #3
Johny
"TRF" Member

Watch: sub 16610Lv
bracelets are expensive to replace so make sure that you get an unstretched one.
Old 23 June 2011, 12:10 AM   #4
twodee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art 1 View Post
1998 is not special. The late A series, mid 2000, is when the SEL bracelet started along with the gold through clasp and also had tritium. There are many of these watches for sale on the second hand market. If it were me I would be looking for anything past that with box and papers. Prices are usually around 6k or so for those.
Thanks for the info. I knew that they switched to the newer style clasps in the mid 2000. I own a SS Subdate and was looking for a little more flash that I can wear every once in while.

I'm just curious, can you actually tighten up a loose/flexed bracelet or do you replace it out right.

So if there are No papers or Box, I should expect to pay $4000 or $4500?? How important are the box and papers anyways. I don't plan to resell it, maybe pass it on to my kids 1 day.
Old 23 June 2011, 12:11 AM   #5
twodee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johny View Post
bracelets are expensive to replace so make sure that you get an unstretched one.
How much does a new bracelet cost?? Are there refurbished or reconditioned bracelets that have been retightened?
Old 23 June 2011, 12:15 AM   #6
tkc324
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona AP DD Sub
I have seen blusey go for 4500 range without box and paper. You can prob buy one from the for sale forum here in the 5-6k range easily. Those braceletes are prob at least 1500 a pop, just a guess.
tkc324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 June 2011, 03:47 AM   #7
thesharkfactor
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
i would be looking for a post 2000 model with gold clasp and solid endlinks (93253 bracelet). these are more desirable to most. i would also look to spend as much as you can afford on one... you will get what you pay for with a cheaper one- stretched band, used marks- then the things you cant see- probably in need of a very expensive overhaul inside.. cheap for a reason.
thesharkfactor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 June 2011, 04:54 AM   #8
slcbbrown
"TRF" Member

Watch: 50's TT t-bird

Quote:
Originally Posted by twodee View Post
How much does a new bracelet cost?? Are there refurbished or reconditioned bracelets that have been retightened?
I would be surprised if a 1998 bracelet showed much wear other than scuff marks. I would expect a tt oyster bracelet to look almost new once it's polished a little bit.
slcbbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 June 2011, 05:02 AM   #9
gqllc
"TRF" Member

Watch: Blue Bezel SubC
Quote:
Originally Posted by thesharkfactor View Post
i would be looking for a post 2000 model with gold clasp and solid endlinks (93253 bracelet). these are more desirable to most. i would also look to spend as much as you can afford on one... you will get what you pay for with a cheaper one- stretched band, used marks- then the things you cant see- probably in need of a very expensive overhaul inside.. cheap for a reason.
I agree add in $500-600 for a servicing and once all said is done you have an older 1998 model without any of the nice features as pointed out above...you could do Much better spending 5-6k on a newer one. I paid 5800 on a M serial bluesy in mint condition
Old 23 June 2011, 07:19 AM   #10
z32turbo
"TRF" Member

Watch: Varies
I'd say paying retail around 5K but from and individual about 4-4.5K would be about right.

Instagram @z32turbo
z32turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2011, 04:17 AM   #11
twodee

Thanks for all the comments. I will be acquiring this watch, 1998 submariner 2-tone (No box or papers) from a friend of mine for under $4k. It's in Very good condition and he hardly wore it. I don't know the exact history of the watch, but will find out if it was serviced recently.
Old 24 June 2011, 04:19 AM   #12
drtooth73
Banned

Watch: TT GMT IIC
Quote:
Originally Posted by twodee View Post
Thanks for all the comments. I will be acquiring this watch, 1998 submariner 2-tone (No box or papers) from a friend of mine for under $4k. It's in Very good condition and he hardly wore it. I don't know the exact history of the watch, but will find out if it was serviced recently.
sounds like a great deal
drtooth73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2011, 04:20 AM   #13
twodee

Quote:
Originally Posted by gqllc View Post
I agree add in $500-600 for a servicing and once all said is done you have an older 1998 model without any of the nice features as pointed out above...you could do Much better spending 5-6k on a newer one. I paid 5800 on a M serial bluesy in mint condition
Nice looking watch. I don't have an extra $1500 to pay for a newer, more recent model.
Old 24 June 2011, 04:21 AM   #14
twodee

Quote:
Originally Posted by drtooth73 View Post
sounds like a great deal
I agree. Awesome deal that I cannot turn down. I'm selling some of my collectible sneakers so I can afford the watch.
Old 24 June 2011, 04:22 AM   #15
twodee

Quote:
Originally Posted by z32turbo View Post
I'd say paying retail around 5K but from and individual about 4-4.5K would be about right.
That's what I thought. I'll be getting for much cheaper from a good friend.