The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 2 November 2016, 11:24 PM   #1
slorollin
"TRF" Member

Watch: yer pints & quarts
Christopher Ward

This brand has just appeared on my radar. They have some interesting models that are also getting good reviews. I'd be interested in the impressions/anecdotes/reviews and experiences of this knowledgeable group of WIS's regarding CW. Thoughts?

Thanks

P.S. Hey forum nags, (pre-emptive strike)! I've already done a search and am seeking more info.
Old 4 November 2016, 08:51 AM   #2
TG3N
"TRF" Member

Great, young brand - English owned, but with Swiss manufacturing, assembly, research & design facilities.

Major selling points are offering excellent value for money and superior customer service. Openly state they sell their watches for a reasonable 3x cost price, and offer a terrific '60:60' Warranty which means you can buy from their website in confidence (unworn watches can be returned, no quibbles, within 60 days of purchase, and a 60 month Warranty - quite unusual).

I bought one of their C60 Mk2 Trident dive watches last year - superb value for money: Swiss Made; Sellita or ETA movement; sapphire crystal; 120-click ceramic bezel; 600m depth rated; great micro-adjust clasp (think of a much less sophisticated alternative to the Rolex 'Glidelock'), all solid bracelet, deep-engraved case back, signed Crown, and rock-solid build (comes in at a monster 190 grams on bracelet). All for circa GBP £670 / USD $835 - as good as any similarly-specced dive watch Tag Heuer put out at three times the cost, and bears some real comparison to the ETA Tudor Black Bay (but not as gorgeous looking, nor as finely finished, and with a lower-quality movement).

Very ambitious also - launched their own 'in-house' movement (well, its not truly manufactured in-house, just designed & assembled) a while back, and newer models show off 5-day power reserves, Moonphases, and other notable complications. Seem to be trying to transition their brand upwards, so their prices are creeping up a bit, but still offer huge 'bang for buck', one to watch.

If I were to be critical, some of their (many) models are of niche interest, and can be a bit, well, ugly to my taste. They have changed their logo/design ethos twice in recent years, which continues to divide opinion and is a 'love it or hate it' point (Google it!). Also, they anecdotally seem to be having a little more bother with Quality Control issues than in the past, especially with the more cutting-edge movements, but that 60:60 Warranty adds confidence (bit of a pain to return a watch for repair if you live outside Europe though).

I'd emphasise NOT to buy at full price - they regularly have sales, especially in the run-up to Christmas etc. and offer 'nearly new' discounted models for sale (virtually brand-new watches returned by customers under 60:60, or ex-show models), so wait and get 15% or so off.

Check out their own Christopher Ward Forum - it's packed with useful resource, photos, advice and you don't need to register to view it.
TG3N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 November 2016, 12:02 AM   #3
slorollin
"TRF" Member

Thanks, some good background and info. I will check out that forum.
Old 8 November 2016, 02:00 AM   #4
madgoal1
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJII, Sub, ExpII
I love my C60 Trident pro GMT. great quality piece.
madgoal1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 November 2016, 06:24 AM   #5
slorollin
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by madgoal1 View Post
I love my C60 Trident pro GMT. great quality piece.
Cool watch! That's the model I am interested in. Which version did you get? I'm looking for the red bezel/black dial version.
Old 12 November 2016, 06:33 AM   #6
madgoal1
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slorollin View Post
Cool watch! That's the model I am interested in. Which version did you get? I'm looking for the red bezel/black dial version.

I have the black bezel/black dial, really enjoy the wave dial. has kept great time within +2 sec a day to my surprise.
Old 12 November 2016, 06:38 AM   #7
madgoal1
"TRF" Member

The bracelet is quite nice as well i forgot to mention, I really like the quick adjust clasp. Cant speak for the quality of the leather straps though.