The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Audemars Piguet Discussion Forum

Old 3 April 2020, 06:48 PM   #31
ragsk
Banned

I don't think this is fair on the OP.

He bought what he thought was a "new" watch. What he got sold was "new old stock". The passage of time does degrade goods. He has right to be hacked off a little bit.

We are talking about 5 years here. Not a short timeframe. Some people have posted comparisons to car buying - if someone sold me in 2020 a car that came out of the production line in 2015, without telling me about it, I would be pretty annoyed.
ragsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 April 2020, 08:58 PM   #32
GS93108
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IS250C View Post
Hi All,

Thank you for the advises and insights. Guess I will just have to move on and hopefully time will erase the bad feeling especially my wife's.

I really need to change my trusting attitude.

I don't have good experience with AP boutique and service center in Singapore. I will not service and replace the rubber parts because their staff told me that even after replacement, the rubber parts will deteriorate in couple of years. Not going to put in good money after bad one. Let the watch spend more time in her drawer.

Guess will not pull the trigger for the blue 42mm ROO with the new pusher. Very light watch. Very comfortable. So sad not buying roo anymore. In my opinion, roo/ro is the most beautiful watch. Can't fall in love with any other watch at the moment but need to hunt for one.

Cheers. You guys take care. Wash your hand. Don't touch your face. Stay away from crowded places. Good health to all.
You've had opinions from 'us' to either put it out of your mind and move on or to contact AP in a 'friendly' manner and ask for some assistance.

I don't have any experience with AP Singapore but they don't make the watches and to be told that rubber replacement parts will perish in a couple of years is nonsense, unless they know something that we don't? Is your wife working in a meth lab in her spare time? :)

As I said in my earlier post, my wife has the same watch in a different colour scheme and the rubber is PERFECT after nearly 8 years without a service and without any replacement parts.

Give up if you must, that's your loss, but if it were me I would at least TRY and see if AP will assist you.

Good luck.
GS93108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 April 2020, 03:45 AM   #33
RolexZen
"TRF" Member

Watch: No Rolex
Quote:
Hi All,

Thank you for the advises and insights. Guess I will just have to move on and hopefully time will erase the bad feeling especially my wife's.

I really need to change my trusting attitude.

I don't have good experience with AP boutique and service center in Singapore. I will not service and replace the rubber parts because their staff told me that even after replacement, the rubber parts will deteriorate in couple of years. Not going to put in good money after bad one. Let the watch spend more time in her drawer.
Well, that certainly sounds like a reasonable reaction.

Any chance you can post pictures of this rubber damage? And how is your ceramic diver holding up? That is/was truly a beauty.

Quote:
Guess will not pull the trigger for the blue 42mm ROO with the new pusher. Very light watch. Very comfortable. So sad not buying roo anymore. In my opinion, roo/ro is the most beautiful watch. Can't fall in love with any other watch at the moment but need to hunt for one.

Cheers. You guys take care. Wash your hand. Don't touch your face. Stay away from crowded places. Good health to all.
RolexZen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 April 2020, 05:41 AM   #34
Cru Jones
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

For me, the shocking aspect is that the rubber didn’t even last a decade (let alone just 4 years on the wrist).
Cru Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 April 2020, 01:33 PM   #35
IS250C
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RolexZen View Post
Well, that certainly sounds like a reasonable reaction.

Any chance you can post pictures of this rubber damage? And how is your ceramic diver holding up? That is/was truly a beauty.
I am very happy with my watch. It is a perfect watch and I wear it almost every day to office since 2016. I was thinking of getting another one which was the reason to drop by the boutique to explore the options last week. Then they drop me the bomb of my wife's watch is 9 years old instead of 4 years old and refuse to offer any assistance even though we were sort of mislead about the age of the watch when we feedback about the rubber issue during that visit. Any way some photos for you. Hope the photos are clear as I use my phone for the photo.

Sent from my Redmi Note 4 using Tapatalk
IS250C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 April 2020, 01:35 PM   #36
IS250C
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cru Jones View Post
For me, the shocking aspect is that the rubber didn’t even last a decade (let alone just 4 years on the wrist).
It is at most 1 year on wrist with 3 years in the drawer. Hahaha.

Old 4 April 2020, 01:38 PM   #37
maciej
2024 Pledge Member

Those are deep gashes and striations, that’s not typical wear...
maciej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 April 2020, 01:51 PM   #38
IS250C
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciej View Post
Those are deep gashes and striations, that’s not typical wear...
The rubber is very soft right now. Any touch will make pieces of it fall off. The crown is almost round instead of the hexagon shape.

Old 4 April 2020, 01:57 PM   #39
RolexZen
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I am very happy with my watch. It is a perfect watch and I wear it almost every day to office since 2016. I was thinking of getting another one which was the reason to drop by the boutique to explore the options last week. Then they drop me the bomb of my wife's watch is 9 years old instead of 4 years old and refuse to offer any assistance even though we were sort of mislead about the age of the watch when we feedback about the rubber issue during that visit. Any way some photos for you. Hope the photos are clear as I use my phone for the photo.

Beautiful pair of watches! You bought those together?

What is the cost for the rubber replacement?
Old 4 April 2020, 03:09 PM   #40
IS250C
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RolexZen View Post
Beautiful pair of watches! You bought those together?

What is the cost for the rubber replacement?
Brought my wife's during 1st stop in London. Brought mine in Paris on our 2nd stop.

Cost of changing the pushers and crown and service about S$2,200. Then the bezel is another S$4k+. Need to change strap too to get the same color tone.

Old 4 April 2020, 04:21 PM   #41
AshAP
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP Royal Oak
This doesn’t look like typical wear after only 1 year especially on the crown. I’ve worn 42mm offshores with rubber crown and pushers daily for around 6 years and they never looked like this. A friend of mine wore a Diver for 8 years for just about everything which was evidenced by significant bezel damage but the crown never suffered like this.

I’m wondering if your wife applies a hand cream or is in regular contact with a product that is causing the rubber and plastic to soften. In any case these are not expensive components to replace.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
AshAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 April 2020, 05:30 PM   #42
Tomas Eriksson
"TRF" Member

Watch: 15707CE
Quote:
Brought my wife's during 1st stop in London. Brought mine in Paris on our 2nd stop.

Cost of changing the pushers and crown and service about S$2,200. Then the bezel is another S$4k+. Need to change strap too to get the same color tone.

I’m like Ash thinking it might be chemicals involved. Daily sprays off perfume might over time degrade the rubber? My experience is that the rubber straps are super though but other seals and crown rubber do wear out in a few years time.

Hadn’t considered before that the design choice with diamonds and rubber on the bezel would be a expensive maintenance problem. I would have expect AP to offer some kind of refurb service where they strip the rubber and apply new instead of replacing everything. I would bezel as is for now.
Old 4 April 2020, 06:35 PM   #43
GS93108
"TRF" Member

Those pics look horrible, certainly not 'normal'. I'd agree that there must be some sort of chemical introduced to the issue, hand cream, hair spray, perfume etc.

But, I think the problem you have is with the poor service from your local AP dealer/boutique. They should NOT have told you that replacement rubber will perish in a couple of years and they should definitely have tried to assist you in a remedy. Maybe they aren't helping because you bought your AP's elsewhere, but that's no excuse.

100% the rubber issue you have is not normal wear and tear and has nothing to do with the age of the watch or that is was on a shelf for an extra few years.

Find a decent AP boutique and deal with them. I'll PM you the details for London, given that you bought your wife's watch here. But be polite, don't rant, and obviously give them some time to respond given the state of the world.

Again, good luck.
Old 4 April 2020, 06:57 PM   #44
IS250C
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GS93108 View Post
Those pics look horrible, certainly not 'normal'. I'd agree that there must be some sort of chemical introduced to the issue, hand cream, hair spray, perfume etc.

But, I think the problem you have is with the poor service from your local AP dealer/boutique. They should NOT have told you that replacement rubber will perish in a couple of years and they should definitely have tried to assist you in a remedy. Maybe they aren't helping because you bought your AP's elsewhere, but that's no excuse.

100% the rubber issue you have is not normal wear and tear and has nothing to do with the age of the watch or that is was on a shelf for an extra few years.

Find a decent AP boutique and deal with them. I'll PM you the details for London, given that you bought your wife's watch here. But be polite, don't rant, and obviously give them some time to respond given the state of the world.

Again, good luck.
Thank you.
I can 100% confirm that nothing was applied or come in contact during the 4 years the watch is with her. She don't use hand cream at all. Perfume only on neck. Never on wrist. Hair spray used before put on watch. That's her habit. Watch is worn last before leaving the house.

Old 4 April 2020, 07:11 PM   #45
GS93108
"TRF" Member

Here’s a pic of my wife’s watch, it’s the same model as yours but in a different colour. It’s 8 years old and she wears it often.

Also, just FYI, this is the ‘newer’ model which no longer uses rubber pushers, crown and bezel, so if you ever decide to replace your wife’s watch then get the non rubber version.

Old 4 April 2020, 07:29 PM   #46
AshAP
"TRF" Member

2 awesome watches Gary, lucky wife.

Old 4 April 2020, 07:35 PM   #47
GS93108
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshAP View Post
2 awesome watches Gary, lucky wife.

Typical AP evolution, fundamentally the same watch, but a change in colours and materials makes a huge difference.

My wife loves purple as a colour, albeit the rubber one is dark purple, known as 'plum', but then she saw the pink one and I was done for, and of course she has multiple straps too...

My enthusiasm for AP comes at twice the price, wife tax as you have said before. Ho hum, at least she doesn't play golf...
Old 4 April 2020, 07:40 PM   #48
AshAP
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Typical AP evolution, fundamentally the same watch, but a change in colours and materials makes a huge difference.

My wife loves purple as a colour, albeit the rubber one is dark purple, known as 'plum', but then she saw the pink one and I was done for, and of course she has multiple straps too...

My enthusiasm for AP comes at twice the price, wife tax as you have said before. Ho hum, at least she doesn't play golf...

I ordered the plum coloured offshore for my wife 9 years ago from O&R and a few days later they offered her a Daytona which had just come in and she chose that instead. I still plan to get her a lady Offshore at some point and it will no doubt be a wife tax payment for me getting something that I really want.

Old 4 April 2020, 07:49 PM   #49
benlee
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, AP, PP
Quote:
Originally Posted by AshAP View Post
This doesn’t look like typical wear after only 1 year especially on the crown. I’ve worn 42mm offshores with rubber crown and pushers daily for around 6 years and they never looked like this. A friend of mine wore a Diver for 8 years for just about everything which was evidenced by significant bezel damage but the crown never suffered like this.

I’m wondering if your wife applies a hand cream or is in regular contact with a product that is causing the rubber and plastic to soften. In any case these are not expensive components to replace.

I agree. I am guessing something has come into contact with the watch other than normal use. I own an AP Diver since 2013 with rubber crown and pushers. Over time, the rubber has started to feel a bit "sticky" but never in this condition.
Old 4 April 2020, 08:16 PM   #50
IS250C
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by benlee View Post
I agree. I am guessing something has come into contact with the watch other than normal use. I own an AP Diver since 2013 with rubber crown and pushers. Over time, the rubber has started to feel a bit "sticky" but never in this condition.
If it is something that comes into contact with the rubber parts. The only thing I can recalled is at the retailer. The sales brought out a bottle of spray to clean the watch when we commented on some black stain on the strap. The other possibility is the heat and light of the showcase. At least 12 hours for 5 years. I think amount of shine is strong enough to make parma ham. Hahaha.

By the way, can someone guide me to change the title of the post. I am now a little shy to use such strong word. Thinking of changing to 'mislead', 'misunderstanding'?

Old 4 April 2020, 08:21 PM   #51
IS250C
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Here’s a pic of my wife’s watch, it’s the same model as yours but in a different colour. It’s 8 years old and she wears it often.

Also, just FYI, this is the ‘newer’ model which no longer uses rubber pushers, crown and bezel, so if you ever decide to replace your wife’s watch then get the non rubber version.

Nope. I asked to change to steel crown and pusher after being told that after replacement the rubber stuff will deteriorate a couple of years down the road. Singapore boutique said they cannot and will not replace with the steel stuff.

Old 4 April 2020, 08:50 PM   #52
ColinH
"TRF" Member

Let's also note that we are talking about Singapore here. A beautiful place But if anything is going to cause rubber to perish then look no further.
ColinH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 April 2020, 10:22 PM   #53
dmacintyre
2024 Pledge Member

Does your wife stack the watch with bracelets or bangles? Looks like the rubber has been abraded by something hard.

I’d have the watch refreshed at AP and try to move on and enjoy it. It’s a beautiful piece.
dmacintyre is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4 April 2020, 10:54 PM   #54
RolexZen
"TRF" Member

Quote:

I googled and found that others have had the rubber replaced a lot cheaper, if done during a time of normal watch servicing.

I can’t see the bezel damage in your photos. Maybe that doesn’t need to be replaced?
Old 4 April 2020, 11:27 PM   #55
benlee
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, AP, PP
Quote:
If it is something that comes into contact with the rubber parts. The only thing I can recalled is at the retailer. The sales brought out a bottle of spray to clean the watch when we commented on some black stain on the strap. The other possibility is the heat and light of the showcase. At least 12 hours for 5 years. I think amount of shine is strong enough to make parma ham. Hahaha.

By the way, can someone guide me to change the title of the post. I am now a little shy to use such strong word. Thinking of changing to 'mislead', 'misunderstanding'?

You can contact one of the Mod to change the title.
Old 4 April 2020, 11:35 PM   #56
lllouisv1126
"TRF" Member

Quote:
It is at most 1 year on wrist with 3 years in the drawer. Hahaha.

I feel you. AP services in Singapore is a hit or miss.

On the other hand. Keeping the watch in drawer for extended period could cause the rubber to deteriorate much faster. It’s over 30 degree C and 100% humidity all year long. - practically your drawer is like an oven.
lllouisv1126 is offline   Reply With Quote