The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Panerai Discussion Forum

Old 3 February 2023, 11:53 PM   #1
RJC
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sea-Dweller
1305 Not winding on winder

Just wondered what experiences owners have had with Panerai and winders?
My PAM1305 maintains its wind whilst on the wrist, but simply winds down to a stop whilst on my winder. I’ve tried all RPD settings and directions but it still stops after 3-4 days.
One thing I have noticed is I don’t seem to hear the rotor moving whilst on the winder. (Maybe the circular motion doesn’t create enough movement?)
I appreciate winders aren’t everyone’s cup of tea, but I personally like them and am interested to see if anyone else has encountered a similar issue.
Cheers,
Rob

Current - DSSD 116660 - Sea-Dweller 126600
RJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 February 2023, 12:32 AM   #2
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Many of the Panerai movements are CW and need 850 -950 TBD just to stay at the same state of wind.
I think that the P90xx movements do wind in both directions and need the higher TBD settings.

Any fewer winds per day than necessary just to stay at a steady state of wind and any movement will eventually stop right on the winder. Typically, if the watch stops on a winder, you move to the next higher number of TBD and so on until it no longer stops while on it.

On a winder, the rotor doesn't turn, the watch turns and the weighted rotor just stays in one place, so the watch is actually turning around the rotor rather than the rotor turning around the movement.

Here is some individual movement info.
https://www.paneraicentral.com/paner...nder-settings/
Old 4 February 2023, 03:51 AM   #3
RJC
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sea-Dweller
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tools View Post
Many of the Panerai movements are CW and need 850 -950 TBD just to stay at the same state of wind.
I think that the P90xx movements do wind in both directions and need the higher TBD settings.

Any fewer winds per day than necessary just to stay at a steady state of wind and any movement will eventually stop right on the winder. Typically, if the watch stops on a winder, you move to the next higher number of TBD and so on until it no longer stops while on it.

On a winder, the rotor doesn't turn, the watch turns and the weighted rotor just stays in one place, so the watch is actually turning around the rotor rather than the rotor turning around the movement.

Thank you for the info (especially the rotor explanation)

It’s an odd one. I’ve had it on 900 TPD all the way up to the max of 1400. I might try ‘permanently on’ just to see how it performs for a week. If that works I think I’d just stick with winding/wearing though.

Current - DSSD 116660 - Sea-Dweller 126600
RJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 February 2023, 11:51 PM   #4
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tools View Post

Good information. Thank you.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote