The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 25 January 2021, 05:21 AM   #1
BBL
"TRF" Member

Watch: DD-YG/DJ/Breitling
** Best Mattress: Affordable, Traditional Mattress for "Back" **

Hey Guys
I tried searching 'mattress' but couldn't find any of the older threads.

I need your input. Need to buy mattress and boxspring.

Any of you with bad backs have advice/raving reviews on a super comfortable, quality, spring/coil type mattress? Also require chemical free to reduce off-gassing (allergic) response.

It seems the popular, new soft mattresses aren't helping me one bit.

Thanks a bunch,
DM
BBL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2021, 05:28 AM   #2
Blansky
2024 Pledge Member

Is anybody still buying a boxspring?

We need a new mattress too....the pillow tops ones seem too soft.

Interesting to hear the replies.
Old 25 January 2021, 05:37 AM   #3
BBL
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blansky View Post
Is anybody still buying a boxspring?
I had the same question in a local bed/mattress store. Most of the beds featured on a large sales display floor were boxspring/mattress types.
There were only a couple low profile, slats beds for mattress only.

For as much as the foam and hybrid mattresses populate the internet as only a one mattress (no boxspring) needed for a refreshing, night's sleep, the stores here are still selling bed styles that require boxspring. The "modern" mattresses are changing construction from yesteryear for sure, but the new types are not working for me.

I tried a platform bed with hybrid mattress and had to get refunds. Regrettably, didn't do the job for me.

DM
Old 25 January 2021, 05:47 AM   #4
BNA/LION
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: ROLEX
http://www.poshandlavish.com/models/

We went with Posh+Lavish and absolutely love it! An adjustable head and foot base is a great feature to look at when shopping too. We also added the vibration option and it is very soothing as well as relaxing. This has done Wonders for my Back! Their 20-year Warranty is something to consider as well...

Good Luck finding the perfect new Traditional Mattress.

✦ 28238 President DD 18K/YG ✦ 16610LN SS Sub ✦ 16613 18K/SS Serti ✦ 16550 Exp II Non-Rail Cream Dial ✦ Daytona C 116500 ✦ 126710 BLRO GMT-Master II ✦ NEXT-->?
Hole In One! 10/3/19 DMCC 5th hole, par 3, 168 yards w/ 4-Iron.
BNA/LION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2021, 05:53 AM   #5
Starwalker
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Daytona - BLACK
Check out Dunlopillo and their latex mattresses amazing for the back.
Old 25 January 2021, 06:02 AM   #6
dimag333
"TRF" Member

Going for an mri tomorrow for a siatic issue I have had for 4 months, can’t even get out of car, thread is just in time!

steve
dimag333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2021, 06:19 AM   #7
77T

I can say pure rubber latex (not synthetic) is the best I’ve had. And not on a box spring but a firm foundation instead.

Ours was Dunlop latex process - 8” I think. It is denser, which makes it firmer than the softer Talalay process.

But as I get older I like a 3” memory foam topper - they didn’t exist when I got my first latex mattress over 40 yrs. ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2021, 06:27 AM   #8
Blansky
2024 Pledge Member

Love some of the ads.......only $1500.

Oh you wanted a California King??....that $2700.
Old 25 January 2021, 06:34 AM   #9
Blansky
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBL View Post
I had the same question in a local bed/mattress store. Most of the beds featured on a large sales display floor were boxspring/mattress types.
There were only a couple low profile, slats beds for mattress only.

For as much as the foam and hybrid mattresses populate the internet as only a one mattress (no boxspring) needed for a refreshing, night's sleep, the stores here are still selling bed styles that require boxspring. The "modern" mattresses are changing construction from yesteryear for sure, but the new types are not working for me.

I tried a platform bed with hybrid mattress and had to get refunds. Regrettably, didn't do the job for me.

DM
I've never really understood what a box spring did other than add height. Perhaps in the days of spring mattresses with little padding they added support but these days I think the mattress does all the heavy lifting (pardon the pun). We have what I guess you'd call a platform bed with slats.
Old 25 January 2021, 06:46 AM   #10
Brenngun

Watch: Rolex & Tudor
Quote:
I've never really understood what a box spring did other than add height. Perhaps in the days of spring mattresses with little padding they added support but these days I think the mattress does all the heavy lifting (pardon the pun). We have what I guess you'd call a platform bed with slats.
Totally agree. Wife and I had a platform bed with a foam mattress no box spring. After a few years on that we bought a Marshall pocket coil mattress and just put it down on the platform. Great sleeps for many years.

Brenngun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2021, 07:37 AM   #11
JasoninDenver
2024 Pledge Member

X3 on the latex mattresses.

Look for a good local manufacturer who has configurations for differing levels of plushness. Ours is natural Dunlop and there is no off-gassing at all.

116610 LN
DateJust
Pelagos FXD
JasoninDenver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2021, 07:58 AM   #12
The Joker
"TRF" Member

You spend half your life in bed, so make it a good one.
The Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2021, 01:13 PM   #13
breitlings
Banned

Watch: Apple TV
Hey DM. I really my Kirkland Sterns and Foster Costco mattress. I am sure the full retail Sterns and Fosters are great too. The costco return policy can't be beat though.

I've actually bought the bed twice, once with my ex with the box spring and once without (when I moved out). The box spring adds a bit of "depth" the slats are a bit firmer.

Hope all is well sir!
breitlings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2021, 02:12 PM   #14
BBL
"TRF" Member

Guys, Thanks a lot.

Gives me info that hopefully will come in handy in the search.

DM
Old 26 January 2021, 12:20 AM   #15
Blansky
2024 Pledge Member

In the spirit of trying on a watch before you buy it, I'd suggest in your mattress search you start "sleeping around."

I know, I know, its frowned upon in some circles but you can explain it away as research.
Old 26 January 2021, 01:12 AM   #16
Knappo 1307

Watch: Sea Dweller
Tuft and Needle
Knappo 1307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2021, 01:22 AM   #17
Wcdhtwn
"TRF" Member

Watch: SkyD, SD43, GMT2
Bought a Sterns and Foster recently. I went with a regular old mattress, no foam, tempurpedic, hybrid nonsense. Good old springs and box springs underneath. I’ve had those “new mattress technologies” in the past and couldn’t stand them. The S&F I purchased is the most firm available and it’s massively helped my back and not waking up sore every morning... highly recommend it. I have no idea how it rates for allergies, but I’d be surprised if they didn’t have a mattress that address this need.
Wcdhtwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2021, 01:36 AM   #18
Blansky
2024 Pledge Member

Are people who use the 'new technology' buying just foam or are they going the hybrid route.

And if a person was wanting a more firm mattress why would you get a mattress with a pillow top which seems to defeat that purpose right off the bat. It's just 2-3 inches of soft foam on top of a mattress, is it not????

Just a thought here, if you study the evolution of humans we historically have slept on a hard surface with a bit of padding on top, so is all this foam and springs really what we actually need for proper sleep and alignment.

And is a mattress what determines our spinal alignment or is it actually proper exercise (stretching, yoga/pilates, walking) that is the deciding factor in how our body keeps aligned?

Is the whole "mattress thing" just a marketing ploy? Do athletes in their 20s and 30s complain about their mattresses? or is it just old people who have not kept in some sort of physical condition?

Just asking??? I gotta get a new mattress in the next month or so.
Old 26 January 2021, 02:37 AM   #19
airchitect
"TRF" Member

Watch: A few.....
I picked up a super firm Serta I believe from Costco. My goal was to get something decent quality that sleeps very firm because I can always make it more soft...not the other way around.

Sent using Tapatalk
airchitect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2021, 03:33 AM   #20
swils8610

I’ve got a Beauty Rest Black with coils and a box spring. Love it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
swils8610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2021, 04:33 AM   #21
erhein
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knappo 1307 View Post
Tuft and Needle
Tuft and Needle Mint here. I don't know the difference between how the Mint sleeps from how the regular sleeps, but I love the Mint. I've been a fan of memory foam since I first tried it.
Old 26 January 2021, 04:49 AM   #22
Thug
"TRF" Member

Also tuft and needles here. Had it for half a decade and no complaints.
A lot of mattress brands offer a few months trial so might as well as take advantage of that.
Thug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2021, 07:54 AM   #23
JasoninDenver
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Are people who use the 'new technology' buying just foam or are they going the hybrid route.

And if a person was wanting a more firm mattress why would you get a mattress with a pillow top which seems to defeat that purpose right off the bat. It's just 2-3 inches of soft foam on top of a mattress, is it not????

Just a thought here, if you study the evolution of humans we historically have slept on a hard surface with a bit of padding on top, so is all this foam and springs really what we actually need for proper sleep and alignment.

And is a mattress what determines our spinal alignment or is it actually proper exercise (stretching, yoga/pilates, walking) that is the deciding factor in how our body keeps aligned?

Is the whole "mattress thing" just a marketing ploy? Do athletes in their 20s and 30s complain about their mattresses? or is it just old people who have not kept in some sort of physical condition?

Just asking??? I gotta get a new mattress in the next month or so.
I slept on a futon for years. Then transitioned to a firm innerspring mattress. However, several shoulder surgeries forced me to go to a plush mattress to avoid being awoken by pain when I shifter to my side in my sleep. In all honesty, I sleep better than I ever have, even in my 20s.

The owner of the latex foam company I bought my last mattress from stated that each individual will have different needs based on their weight, body type and sleep position. My wife is a side sleeper and always had firm mattresses (and intermittent low back pain) but ended up with one even softer than mine when the owner took a photo of my wife’s spine alignment while laying on her side. The firm elevated her hips so much that her back curved. The soft one kept everything aligned. It took her a few nights to adapt, but now she cannot sleep on a firm mattress without back pain the next morning.

116610 LN
DateJust
Pelagos FXD
JasoninDenver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30 January 2021, 08:49 AM   #24
datejustrms
"TRF" Member

Beautyrest Black Hybrid (Plush)!!

I’ve got lower back issues and this mattress is by far the best I’ve ever owned.
datejustrms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 January 2021, 10:02 AM   #25
CamSLC
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & Patek
Another happy Tuft and Needle customer, but everyones body is different. I think they offer some 90 day try out period.
CamSLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 January 2021, 10:41 AM   #26
Darlinboy
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: :hctaW
Tempurpedic.
Old 30 January 2021, 12:52 PM   #27
Chewbacca
Banned

Watch: Kessel Run Chrono
I imagine you’d have to try them.

I tried a Casper and return that pos after 7 days. Then went to my local bed jobber and settled on a Sealy.

Springs or nothing!
Chewbacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 January 2021, 12:52 PM   #28
ltmgeller

I use a sleep number bed and absolutely love it. I've had 5 spinal surgeries, the last 2 were after a major motorcycle accident that let me in a wheelchair for 5 months. I toss and turn all night because of my injuries and the bed makes is comfortable enough for me to get a full 8 hours at night. I've tried other beds, and this one was the best for me. I wish you luck and relief from back pain.
Old 30 January 2021, 02:50 PM   #29
EEpro
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
** Best Mattress: Affordable, Traditional Mattress for "Back" **

I've had a Leesa king for 5 years or so. No back pain for the first time and the shape and support hasn't changed a bit.

They make hybrid spring and foam.
Old 10 June 2021, 11:31 PM   #30
Blansky
2024 Pledge Member

I bumped this because we finally bought a new mattress.

It's from Avocado and was rated by Consumer Reports (these reports do fluctuate though) as number one AND the fact that there was a showroom in Santa Monica and it's made in the area. Hybrid with a pillow top.

https://www.avocadogreenmattress.com/

The last time we bought a new mattress was probably 25 years ago and was a Sealy Posturepedic and was delivered by a couple of burly guys in a cardboard box in the shape of the mattress. Now they can be shipped by Fed Ex and come compressed in a box a quarter of the size of the mattress and when you open the box and undo the wrapping it explodes up to the size (California King). Weird huh?

Anyways we've had it for a couple of weeks and seems pretty good. Returnable in a year if not happy, although I did think the model in the picture came with it and my happiness quotient would be a bit higher with her, but the Mrs said to shut up and go to sleep.

Here's a list of some other ones that are hot right now.

https://www.architecturaldigest.com/...term=ARD_Daily

Tags
back , mattress