The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Audemars Piguet Discussion Forum

Old 9 September 2023, 07:47 AM   #31
neal.jy
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP 26240st,26420ce
Best of luck, really hope this gets resolved appropriately and quickly!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
neal.jy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 9 September 2023, 07:50 AM   #32
Rickkk
"TRF" Member

Wear it in London. The watch will get stolen and the service coverage will replace.
Rickkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 September 2023, 08:01 AM   #33
dmash
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickkk View Post
Wear it in London. The watch will get stolen and the service coverage will replace.
This was some much needed comedic relief
dmash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 September 2023, 09:21 AM   #34
Bpan
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5548BA, 16233G
Quote:
Originally Posted by J!m View Post
If I'm not mistaken this is a VERY common 7750 base movement... pretty much any watchmaker should be able to deal with it.

Point being no excuse for not doing it right the first time.

Still baffled by this outcome.
The caliber 4401 found in CODEs, 26420s, and 26240s is not based on the Valjoux 7750
Bpan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 September 2023, 09:27 AM   #35
srvrf
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: PP/AP
Sorry for your pain. I agree that after a certain point, it should be like a lemon law. Mine isn't as accurate as my ROCs, but I've had nowhere near the problems that you have had.
srvrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 September 2023, 09:31 AM   #36
VogelPhoenix
"TRF" Member

Quote:
If I'm not mistaken this is a VERY common 7750 base movement... pretty much any watchmaker should be able to deal with it.
You in fact are mistaken.
AP 15500ST Grey // 26237ST Beast // 26331ST Panda // 15450ST Blue // 77350CE Bucci // 26240CE 50th // 15407ST || Rolex 116520 White // 116710 BLNR // 126200 Blue || Omega Seamaster NTTD // Speedy Tokyo LE "Rising Sun" // Speedy cal. 321 "Ed White"
A timeless classic - Winding, ticking, faithful time - Golden crown of trust
VogelPhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 September 2023, 09:32 AM   #37
VogelPhoenix
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickkk View Post
Might lose an arm as well, but sacrifices need to be made.
AP 15500ST Grey // 26237ST Beast // 26331ST Panda // 15450ST Blue // 77350CE Bucci // 26240CE 50th // 15407ST || Rolex 116520 White // 116710 BLNR // 126200 Blue || Omega Seamaster NTTD // Speedy Tokyo LE "Rising Sun" // Speedy cal. 321 "Ed White"
A timeless classic - Winding, ticking, faithful time - Golden crown of trust
VogelPhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 September 2023, 09:32 AM   #38
ExplorerI
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer I
Yeah In house movements not always a great thing. I’d take a JLC movement in the RO or the FP movement over ap in house.
ExplorerI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 September 2023, 10:58 AM   #39
conkers
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many!
Very sorry to hear but am sure AP will sort this out now it’s been escalated properly.
Old 9 September 2023, 12:01 PM   #40
crispyness87
"TRF" Member

This is unacceptable. I sincerely hope the AP boutique comes up with a permanent solution for you, and throw in a jumbo while they’re at it.
crispyness87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 September 2023, 12:34 PM   #41
APhound
"TRF" Member

On a lighter note, you’ve had a good year dmash, what’s the collection looking like right now?

APhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 September 2023, 12:45 PM   #42
dmash
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by arbees319 View Post
On a lighter note, you’ve had a good year dmash, what’s the collection looking like right now?

I'll recap end of year when I see how all the dust settles
Old 9 September 2023, 10:41 PM   #43
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
Sorry this is occurring. Most of us that have been collectors and enthusiasts for a while have had some type of similar experience. Mine was with a Rolex TT Daytona. Back three times over a six month period and on the third return the AD worked with me and I traded it on a YG Daytona that was perfect. What to do? I would get out of this specific watch and either get something else that appeals to you or just get your money back and move on. Good luck with everything and keep us posted.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 September 2023, 11:01 PM   #44
dmash
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1William View Post
Sorry this is occurring. Most of us that have been collectors and enthusiasts for a while have had some type of similar experience. Mine was with a Rolex TT Daytona. Back three times over a six month period and on the third return the AD worked with me and I traded it on a YG Daytona that was perfect. What to do? I would get out of this specific watch and either get something else that appeals to you or just get your money back and move on. Good luck with everything and keep us posted.
This is exactly what I'm planning on doing and hopeful the boutique/AP higher ups agree without confrontation. It's an entirely reasonable request at this point. I don't want to write AP off as a brand, nor talk bad about their product, I think this is just a grossly rotten apple though which I (deservedly) should be done with at this point. I'm all for due diligence, but enough is a enough after *three* issues and now one which renders the watch completely inoperable. A refund of this faulty watch, with a fresh allocation/fresh beginning to the brand is what I consider to be proper resolution.

I'm looking forward to additional clarity on Monday. Fingers crossed for good news and this can all be in my rear view in the coming weeks. Really want this thread to have closure on a positive note, not with AP fighting me and it turning into something bigger.
Old 9 September 2023, 11:19 PM   #45
RTG

Watch: Sky-Dweller
AP’s are jewelry. For the people who wear pretty but uncomfortable shoes.

I don’t think many AP owners care if their watch runs 20 seconds fast a day. A Rolex buyer would pull their hair out, but it seems AP folks are more interested in the 286 individually polished facets than the ability to keep time.
RTG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 9 September 2023, 11:36 PM   #46
Commandopat
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTG View Post
AP’s are jewelry. For the people who wear pretty but uncomfortable shoes.

I don’t think many AP owners care if their watch runs 20 seconds fast a day. A Rolex buyer would pull their hair out, but it seems AP folks are more interested in the 286 individually polished facets than the ability to keep time.
That’s why there are several threads about people contacting AP to get their watches serviced due to a lack of accuracy…because they don’t care.
Commandopat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 September 2023, 01:07 AM   #47
RTG

Watch: Sky-Dweller
Quote:
Originally Posted by Commandopat View Post
That’s why there are several threads about people contacting AP to get their watches serviced due to a lack of accuracy…because they don’t care.
I generalize, but the point remains the same. It’s a different crowd and AP owners on average are far more forgiving of mechanical movements that don’t keep good time. My favorite royal oaks are earlier models with JLC movements. Best of both worlds in my opinion. Their in-house movements look amazing, some are pieces of art, but very few of them would satisfy my desire for accuracy.
RTG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10 September 2023, 04:11 AM   #48
DonLee
"TRF" Member

this is one of the big reasons why i refuse to get an AP ROC. so many horrible stories about the watch having problems. it's just not acceptable.
DonLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 September 2023, 09:45 AM   #49
conkers
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonLee View Post
this is one of the big reasons why i refuse to get an AP ROC. so many horrible stories about the watch having problems. it's just not acceptable.
I have owned 19 different ROCs over the years and at least 25 ROO Chronos as well. All of them except one have worked flawlessly and the one that had a problem was fixed within 48 hours. Don’t be swayed by the infinitesimally small percentage that have serious problems.
Old 10 September 2023, 10:10 AM   #50
mickyd329
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP/PP/Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by RTG View Post
I generalize, but the point remains the same. It’s a different crowd and AP owners on average are far more forgiving of mechanical movements that don’t keep good time. My favorite royal oaks are earlier models with JLC movements. Best of both worlds in my opinion. Their in-house movements look amazing, some are pieces of art, but very few of them would satisfy my desire for accuracy.

Most AP owners are also Rolex collectors, so it's not a different crowd per se. I look at Rolex like a Porsche. Rock solid and great performance. AP is more like a Ferrari IMO. Great performance and beautiful, but comes with some nuisances. Personally, I've had very few issues with any of the dozen + AP's I've owned over the years including many chrono's. Funny thing is my PP 5205 keeps the best time in my collection.
PP 5205G-013/ PP 5212A / AP 15416CE /26574 st QP/ AP 50th 16202st /AP 15500st Black / AP 26405CE / AP 77350CE / AP 15551st / AP 67540sk /Daytona C White/Rolex SS BLRO / Rolex Sub Green / Rolex Explorer II/ Rolex DJ Blue
mickyd329 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 September 2023, 04:32 PM   #51
John Doyle
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by conkers View Post
I have owned 19 different ROCs over the years and at least 25 ROO Chronos as well. All of them except one have worked flawlessly and the one that had a problem was fixed within 48 hours. Don’t be swayed by the infinitesimally small percentage that have serious problems.
44 APs over the years means you've started buying them probably when AP still cared about actually making good timepieces, not marketing stunts and one watch companying which it has become, but that's besides the point.

OP, I would suggest asking for a Patek as a replacement :)
John Doyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 September 2023, 05:27 PM   #52
conkers
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Doyle View Post
44 APs over the years means you've started buying them probably when AP still cared about actually making good timepieces, not marketing stunts and one watch companying which it has become, but that's besides the point.

OP, I would suggest asking for a Patek as a replacement :)
I was relatively late to AP collecting in about 2010 and have not noticed any reduction in movement quality or timekeeping in that period. Aside from the small ROO chrono issue I mentioned above the only other issue I had was with my Offshore Grand Comp. In both cases AP’s service was fantastic. I have had a far higher percentage of problems with other high end brands, some of which I will no longer buy as a result.
Old 10 September 2023, 06:51 PM   #53
Gent675
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickyd329 View Post
Most AP owners are also Rolex collectors, so it's not a different crowd per se. I look at Rolex like a Porsche. Rock solid and great performance. AP is more like a Ferrari IMO. Great performance and beautiful, but comes with some nuisances. Personally, I've had very few issues with any of the dozen + AP's I've owned over the years including many chrono's. Funny thing is my PP 5205 keeps the best time in my collection.

Why is that surprising re: 5205? PP guarantees -3/+2 which is just behind Rolex at -2/+2. Should hardly be surprising if a PP is the most accurate in your collection.
Gent675 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 September 2023, 11:33 PM   #54
SMD
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP/PP
Quote:

Point being no excuse for not doing it right the first time.

Still baffled by this outcome.
You are very much mistaken.
SMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 September 2023, 11:37 PM   #55
vliberman
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmash View Post
So in a follow up to my recent thread where I’ve had to send a brand new ROO43 into Clearwater TWICE: https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=907000

I woke up this morning to a brand new problem. The watch completely broke on itself in the middle of the night. The watch stopped around 11pm, will not wind back up nor hold PR/function whatsoever. It spins freely in first position. Something is broken with the internal movement. In summation, during the approximate 3 months of Offshore ownership, I’ve now had:

-the watch running more than 30 seconds fast and getting Repair1
-upon return, had completely misaligned sub dials, still running over 20s fast and had to be sent in again for Repair2
-upon second return, STILL around 15s fast, but said whatever so I could finally wear it
-now has a broken power reserve/potential other issues with the movement and is completely inoperable

I’ve contacted my boutique as this is utterly ridiculous that I haven’t even had this watch in my hands for more than 3 weeks since original purchase. This is 100% a lemon timepiece and I am not accepting a resolution of repair at this point.

We’re discussing a near $50k timepiece, not a $5k Omega. Again, this watch was purchased at the very end of May, all of this has transpired in a mere 90 days or so, not persistent problems over years time. I am completely shocked with my experience thus far. How is this even possible….
U bought a lemon brand not the watch. Once u realize that watch is to spec. Enjoy it for what it is: a beautiful piece of jewelry. On rear occasions u need to actually time something, buy $5k Omega or $10k Rolex.
vliberman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 September 2023, 12:57 AM   #56
texasmade
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP RO 15400, FOIS
Quote:
Better than my reason of I can't afford it and I'll never be allocated one.
texasmade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 September 2023, 02:17 AM   #57
messikens
"TRF" Member

Quote:

I call BS. I don't think you'd refuse a green or blue ROC if offered just because you heard some bad things about the movement...
messikens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 September 2023, 03:05 AM   #58
mickyd329
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP/PP/Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gent675 View Post
Why is that surprising re: 5205? PP guarantees -3/+2 which is just behind Rolex at -2/+2. Should hardly be surprising if a PP is the most accurate in your collection.

It's surprising to me that the 1 PP I own keeps better time than the 6 Rolex's I have that are supposed to be more accurate. Hope that's ok with you.
PP 5205G-013/ PP 5212A / AP 15416CE /26574 st QP/ AP 50th 16202st /AP 15500st Black / AP 26405CE / AP 77350CE / AP 15551st / AP 67540sk /Daytona C White/Rolex SS BLRO / Rolex Sub Green / Rolex Explorer II/ Rolex DJ Blue
mickyd329 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 September 2023, 06:08 AM   #59
gregouille
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by conkers View Post

I agree on this, this is obviously a part of luck.
Of course when buying a Rolex your luck of having this kind of issue is slimmer BUT trust me it can also happens. (Friend got a Rolex Pepsi last year stopped to work 1 month after purchase)

I join the other comment about comparing AP to Ferrari, and Rolex to Porsche. You don’t buy a Ferrari for performance or reliability, otherwise you would see much more of those on track.

Again sorry for your bad luck and therefore very poor experience. I believe that anyone here would have been 100% mad/disappointed at the brand. Thankfully it is not happening to everyone…
gregouille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 September 2023, 06:36 AM   #60
dmash
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregouille View Post
I agree on this, this is obviously a part of luck.
Of course when buying a Rolex your luck of having this kind of issue is slimmer BUT trust me it can also happens. (Friend got a Rolex Pepsi last year stopped to work 1 month after purchase)

I join the other comment about comparing AP to Ferrari, and Rolex to Porsche. You don’t buy a Ferrari for performance or reliability, otherwise you would see much more of those on track.

Again sorry for your bad luck and therefore very poor experience. I believe that anyone here would have been 100% mad/disappointed at the brand. Thankfully it is not happening to everyone…
Ferrari or not, THREE different occurrences of horrendous quality control and an actual broken part rendering the entire watch inoperable (within three months, and less than 3 WEEKS of true ownership) is beyond acceptable. This is just a fact. Could you imagine buying a new Ferrari which had to go back to the shop ~twice~ in 60 days for engine knocking (while only driving it yourself for around 1 week), and then after the second visit/it being repaired by a *MASTER* technician, the transmission fell out? This is where I'm currently at with my Offshore. Again, we're now at THREE different occurrences of this watch showcasing it doesn't function properly (Swiss factory originally, Clearwater x2).

This thread wasn't created to berate AP as a brand, and I've explicitly stated I'm not trying to write them off. I don't think all APs are bad, and I'm willfully *wanting* to continue my relationship with them. but anything less than a full refund of this lemon watch and a fresh entry to the brand with something else will not be acceptable.

I'm truly hopeful that this is all for nought and in the coming months it's all water under the bridge, and I will have a functional, working AP. It would be completely non-sensical for AP not to offer this.