The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Panerai Discussion Forum

Old 19 December 2011, 06:03 PM   #1
panerai27
"TRF" Member

Panerai 000 problem?

Hi everyone! New to this thread and new to Panerai. Just bought a pre-owned Panerai 000 recently and I think that I may have a problem. I have no doubt that it's authentic however after winding it only runs for approximately 14 hours. Is this a major problem and how long should a full winding last?
panerai27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 December 2011, 06:08 PM   #2
Ugog
"TRF" Member

full wind should last you a couple of days - is it keeping good time?
Ugog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 December 2011, 06:23 PM   #3
htc8p
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710 ln
seems like you didnt wind it enough. 56 hours should be power reserve. wind around 75-80 turns.
htc8p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 December 2011, 07:06 PM   #4
panerai27
"TRF" Member

It's running a bit too fast, I'm estimating a gain of a minute for every 12 hours. 75-80 turns? After approximately 10 turns there is resistance and the crown bounces back if I try winding it anymore.
Old 19 December 2011, 07:10 PM   #5
Ugog
"TRF" Member

how old is it? maybe its due a service?
Old 19 December 2011, 07:18 PM   #6
panerai27
"TRF" Member

2009...should be good for a few more years without servicing I'd think?
Old 19 December 2011, 07:21 PM   #7
Cru Jones
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

can't tell you what's wrong, but, i can't tell you it sounds right, either....the thing with base ETA panerais is that any competent watchmaker should be able to look under the hood at a fraction of the cost and time of a panerai service.
Cru Jones is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19 December 2011, 07:36 PM   #8
panerai27
"TRF" Member

Thks Cru...I'll give it a week and will probably bring it in for servicing. Another question - when you wind to the max, is it supposed to stop to prevent you from winding anymore or does it give you a resistance "click" sound and the winding continues? I stopped after 3 clicking sounds because I'm not sure if I hit the max or not.
Old 19 December 2011, 08:01 PM   #9
Cru Jones
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by panerai27 View Post
Thks Cru...I'll give it a week and will probably bring it in for servicing. Another question - when you wind to the max, is it supposed to stop to prevent you from winding anymore or does it give you a resistance "click" sound and the winding continues? I stopped after 3 clicking sounds because I'm not sure if I hit the max or not.

manuals should be wound until you feel resistance/tension. at that point (it should be pretty obvious when you reach that point), stop winding it, or risk breaking the spring if you "force" it.

automatics, on the other hand, can't be overwound (they have a "clutch" that prevents damage).
Cru Jones is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19 December 2011, 08:23 PM   #10
panerai27
"TRF" Member

I'm guessing that the spring may have been broken then...
Old 19 December 2011, 11:23 PM   #11
Ugog
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I'm guessing that the spring may have been broken then...
yes sounds like the spring - as already mentioned it has eta movement so it doesnt need to go to Panerai to fix it a good watch maker should be able to sort you out.
Old 19 December 2011, 11:58 PM   #12
bcacncnc
"TRF" Member

I hv a zero too and that doesn't sound normal. I get 50+ hours. It may not be a bad thing to pay a little more to have it serviced at OP - tends to add some "value" incase you sell it later.
Grand Seiko
bcacncnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 December 2011, 10:33 AM   #13
panerai27
"TRF" Member

Thanks folks! So far so good today. It's running for approximately 18 hours now and the time is actually very accurate. I'm guessing that it had been sitting in the box for a long time and it may just need some time to unwind. Fingers crossed...
Old 20 December 2011, 08:31 PM   #14
Billythekid
"TRF" Member

mate should we stop winding when the crown bounces back or continue winding till the click sound comes
Billythekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 December 2011, 09:55 PM   #15
zeroshiki
"TRF" Member

18 hours power reserve is not normal. a minimum of 48 hours is more like it.

try bring it to a local watchmaker and have it de-magnitized first. no need to open the case for this.

congrats on your first panerai, hopefully u get your lil problem sorted out. zero is a great watch, dare i say it's the best bang for the buck panerai piece.
zeroshiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 December 2011, 11:52 PM   #16
karmatp
"TRF" Member

Just make sure you wind it until it STOPS.

Don't wind until you feel a little resistance, you wind manual wind watches until they stop, then you have a full wind. Once you start to get about 40-50 winds you will be able to tell you are getting close, but you are not done, it will stop.

All manual wind movements are designed to be wound until they stop. I feel resistance on mine after 5-6 winds, I would have a 2 hour power reserve if I did not know better.
Old 21 December 2011, 01:09 AM   #17
mlotus95
Banned

Watch: GMT master II
Quote:
Originally Posted by karmatp View Post

Don't wind until you feel a little resistance, you wind manual wind watches until they stop, then you have a full wind. Once you start to get about 40-50 winds you will be able to tell you are getting close, but you are not done, it will stop.

All manual wind movements are designed to be wound until they stop. I feel resistance on mine after 5-6 winds, I would have a 2 hour power reserve if I did not know better.
good to know.
mlotus95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 December 2011, 12:00 PM   #18
sallyhats
"TRF" Member

Watch: PAM111, BLNR
Quote:

There are 2 conflicting methods, Cru says to stop winding when you feel resistance and you say to wind until it stops, do you mean it no longer clicks? I ask because I just picked up a 111, and i wound it about 35-45 times and i felt resistance so I stopped. Can you break it if you wind it to much?
sallyhats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 December 2011, 12:51 PM   #19
bcacncnc
"TRF" Member

It will eventually come to a *hard* stop. Meaning you cannot physically wind it further without breaking something. Just wind SLOWLY and you will feel / know what we mean.
Grand Seiko
bcacncnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 December 2011, 01:26 PM   #20
htc8p
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710 ln
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcacncnc View Post
It will eventually come to a *hard* stop. Meaning you cannot physically wind it further without breaking something. Just wind SLOWLY and you will feel / know what we mean.
that is why i love manual wind. you get to use your sense of touch. unlike autos that you simple dont care if you over wind.
htc8p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 December 2011, 11:37 PM   #21
karmatp
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sallyhats View Post
There are 2 conflicting methods, Cru says to stop winding when you feel resistance and you say to wind until it stops, do you mean it no longer clicks? I ask because I just picked up a 111, and i wound it about 35-45 times and i felt resistance so I stopped. Can you break it if you wind it to much?
You wind it until it STOPS, regardless of what anyone else is saying. If you don't believe me, look in your owners manual, it will tell you how to wind your watch.

I cant even believe there is any confusion with this. When you wind your watch you are increasing the power reserve by winding the mainspring. If you don't wind you watch until it stops, you are not delivering the best power reserve and many times, timekeeping can be affected because of the loss of power.

Manual wind watches were designed to be wound daily and designed to be wound until it stops winding.

I am wearing my speedy pro as I type this, it is also a manual wind. I just got out of bed, wound it until it stopped and threw it on my wrist. I do this every day because the instructions that came with the watch told me to.
Old 21 December 2011, 11:58 PM   #22
A320
"TRF" Member

Quote:
You wind it until it STOPS, regardless of what anyone else is saying. If you don't believe me, look in your owners manual, it will tell you how to wind your watch.

I cant even believe there is any confusion with this. When you wind your watch you are increasing the power reserve by winding the mainspring. If you don't wind you watch until it stops, you are not delivering the best power reserve and many times, timekeeping can be affected because of the loss of power.

Manual wind watches were designed to be wound daily and designed to be wound until it stops winding.

I am wearing my speedy pro as I type this, it is also a manual wind. I just got out of bed, wound it until it stopped and threw it on my wrist. I do this every day because the instructions that came with the watch told me to.
Totally agree... wind it until it stop. It won't hurt if you do not force to go further when it stops... that is the way to get the best performance
A320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 December 2011, 12:18 AM   #23
panerai27
"TRF" Member

Thks karmatp...the problem here is that my 000 bounces back and there is also a resistance on each turn. I have never had that on any other winding watches before. I wound mine 80 turns and so far so good. It's up to around 36 hours and counting :)
Old 22 December 2011, 01:07 AM   #24
karmatp
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Thks karmatp...the problem here is that my 000 bounces back and there is also a resistance on each turn. I have never had that on any other winding watches before. I wound mine 80 turns and so far so good. It's up to around 36 hours and counting :)
No problem. They do bounce back a bit, that is normal, and the resistance is you winding the spring, also normal. It will start to get stiffer towards the end of the full wind then stop. Once it stops, you will have your full power reserve.

It will take a bit to get used to, but soon you will be able to tell when it is almost full, then I use less force until it stops completely.