The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Audemars Piguet Discussion Forum

Old 23 January 2017, 08:12 AM   #451
texex91
"TRF" Member

Ti rocks--can't wait for it to show up!

(And this is coming from a previous Ti Schumi owner--it's nothing close to Schumi)
texex91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2017, 10:24 AM   #452
yachty 1
"TRF" Member

Watch: yacht master
Quote:
Originally Posted by texex91 View Post

(And this is coming from a previous Ti Schumi owner--it's nothing close to Schumi)

Ti definitely rocks. Schumi is a amazing piece but I think this one is equally impresive. For less then the price of a Schumi.
yachty 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2017, 10:27 AM   #453
911Cab
Banned

Quote:

Paul, I'm a Shumi owner myself. You have to agree the case & Dial of the new Ti are identical to the Shumi Ti.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
911Cab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2017, 10:55 AM   #454
texex91
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 911Cab View Post
Paul, I'm a Shumi owner myself. You have to agree the case & Dial of the new Ti are identical to the Shumi Ti.

Two different watches--sorry.

You don't like new Ti, no worries, but think it will do great and it's killer IMHO.

Take care.
texex91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2017, 10:56 AM   #455
911Cab
Banned

Quote:
Two different watches--sorry.

Nothing to be Sorry about. Two different opinions

Old 23 January 2017, 11:28 AM   #456
yachty 1
"TRF" Member

Borrowed image, totally different looking
Old 23 January 2017, 11:33 AM   #457
911Cab
Banned

SIHH 2017 Thread - Rumors, Facts, Etc...

Quote:
Originally Posted by yachty 1 View Post
Borrowed image, totally different looking

Here's my image. The Dial is the same not including the flange or the sub dials and the case is the same size in Ti. Not to mention the same grey rubber strap.

Edo's Pic :

Old 23 January 2017, 11:56 AM   #458
yachty 1
"TRF" Member

Maybe I am wrong but bezel completely different not only material but lugs,different inner ring,different crown,different pushers,different chrono dials anything else I am forgetting?
Old 23 January 2017, 12:00 PM   #459
Phaedrus29
"TRF" Member

Those are incredibly different looking watches, with respect to almost every design element.
Phaedrus29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2017, 12:10 PM   #460
911Cab
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by yachty 1 View Post
Maybe I am wrong but bezel completely different not only material but lugs,different inner ring,different crown,different pushers,different chrono dials anything else I am forgetting?

I said 3 things are very similar, case, Dial(without the sub dials ) & strap

Old 23 January 2017, 12:11 PM   #461
911Cab
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phaedrus29 View Post
Those are incredibly different looking watches, with respect to almost every design element.

See my response below.

Old 23 January 2017, 12:17 PM   #462
Phaedrus29
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 911Cab View Post
I said 3 things are very similar, case, Dial(without the sub dials ) & strap
Well you said they were "identical". To me the dials look very different...yes the subdials have different designs but they also have different sizes...this changes the look/shape of the tapisserie dials. The minutes chapter ring is also completely different and the hour markers protrude onto the dial in one case and not on the other, again changing the appearance of the dials.
Old 23 January 2017, 12:20 PM   #463
911Cab
Banned

Quote:
Well you said they were "identical". To me the dials look very different...yes the subdials have different designs but they also have different sizes...this changes the look/shape of the tapisserie dials. The minutes chapter ring is also completely different and the hour markers protrude onto the dial in one case and not on the other, again changing the appearance of the dials.

Old 23 January 2017, 01:09 PM   #464
yoast
"TRF" Member

Are the dials of the new 44's stamped?
Old 23 January 2017, 06:40 PM   #465
AshAP
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP Royal Oak
Quote:
Originally Posted by yoast View Post

Aren't all 44 + Diver (latest gen) dials stamped?

AshAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2017, 09:26 PM   #466
IS250C
"TRF" Member

Titanium seems to generate a lot of interest. I am wondering if titanium is scratch proof. Also roughly how much lighter is the 44 titanium vs stainless and ceramic 44?
IS250C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2017, 10:42 PM   #467
masterserg
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP
Quote:
Originally Posted by AshAP View Post
Aren't all 44 + Diver (latest gen) dials stamped?

Yes.
Old 23 January 2017, 10:45 PM   #468
PJ S
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoast View Post
All ROO dials are now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IS250C View Post
Titanium seems to generate a lot of interest. I am wondering if titanium is scratch proof. Also roughly how much lighter is the 44 titanium vs stainless and ceramic 44?
Scratchproof no, but harder than 316/904 SS.
Ceramic is lighter than Ti.
PJ S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2017, 11:22 PM   #469
jem7v
Banned

What does everyone mean by stamped? What was the previous method?
jem7v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2017, 11:33 PM   #470
AshAP
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP Royal Oak
Quote:
Originally Posted by jem7v View Post
What does everyone mean by stamped? What was the previous method?

The square pattern (mega tapisserie) is literally stamped into a flat thin metal plate instead of the engraved technique acheived using a guilloché machine that you would find on the standard Royal Oak and the pre sapphire case back Divers.

AshAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2017, 11:45 PM   #471
edo
"TRF" Member

It's OK for these truly sport models - Offshores to be stamped... but if they ever make stamped dial on the 15202 or any 2/3 hand RO model that will kill the magic...
edo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2017, 12:05 AM   #472
PJ S
Banned

Quote:
What does everyone mean by stamped?
Stamped means a bit of textured paper with a gum backing.
The dial makers tear off one of the stamps, lick the back of it (which makes the gum sticky), then place it on the plain brass disc.
If any part of the stamp looks like it isn’t sticking too well, they give it a thump – to show it who’s boss.

Quote:
What was the previous method?
Previously, AP used to hire Swiss gnomes, who’d come in during the night, with their little hammers and chisels, to make the raised pattern known as 'Grand Tapisserie'.
Naturally, this was more expensive due to the cost of contracting the gnomes, as well as taking longer to produce each one.
In order to ensure the ROOs didn’t double in price, they opted for the cheaper, and quicker, licking and stamping process.
PJ S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2017, 12:51 AM   #473
911Cab
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ S View Post
The dial makers tear off one of the stamps, lick the back of it (which makes the gum sticky), then place it on the plain brass disc.
If any part of the stamp looks like it isn’t sticking too well, they give it a thump – to show it who’s boss.

Previously, AP used to hire Swiss gnomes, who’d come in during the night, with their little hammers and chisels, to make the raised pattern known as 'Grand Tapisserie'.
Naturally, this was more expensive due to the cost of contracting the gnomes, as well as taking longer to produce each one.
In order to ensure the ROOs didn’t double in price, the opted for the cheaper, and quicker, licking and stamping process.

You must have worked at AP. Thanks for the insight.

Old 24 January 2017, 01:10 AM   #474
benlee
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, AP, PP
Quote:

In order to ensure the ROOs didn’t double in price, they opted for the cheaper, and quicker, licking and stamping process.
PJ, are you a watchmaker? You seems to have indepth knowledge and understanding on the inner workings of watches. BTW, I am referring to the 1st paragraph only.
Old 24 January 2017, 01:51 AM   #475
csi-n
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IS250C View Post
Quote:
Scratchproof no, but harder than 316/904 SS.
Ceramic is lighter than Ti.
Assuming AP uses Grade 5 Titanium (this is my experience from a JLC model that I own), Ti is 45% lighter than 304/316/904 stainless steel. This grade of Ti has a Vickers hardness of ~350 whereas the steels mentioned here are about ~150-160. So the Ti is more scratch resistant than steel but nowhere as good as ceramic. My JLC is full of scratches both on the bezel and the case (I've been pretty tough on it though).

BTW, I am very excited about the new 44mm ROO Ti and can't wait to see one in person.
csi-n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2017, 02:12 AM   #476
jem7v
Banned

Quote:

This made me laugh lol. Ok so why are they trying to cut costs now and go to stamped? Does it look any different? For instance can you tell a difference between the engraved dial or the stamped?

Honestly though for the dial to be like a sticker or whatever, that seems really cheap for this expensive of a watch. That is honestly a little disappointing.
Old 24 January 2017, 02:15 AM   #477
Phaedrus29
"TRF" Member

He was joking about the sticker part. The stamped dial is certainly made with a less interesting process, but it does perhaps have a cleaner and sportier look, which some people might think is more suitable for these larger sportier models.
Old 24 January 2017, 02:54 AM   #478
jem7v
Banned

Quote:

Quote:
He was joking about the sticker part. The stamped dial is certainly made with a less interesting process, but it does perhaps have a cleaner and sportier look, which some people might think is more suitable for these larger sportier models.
I know it's not literally a sticker. But then does the machine stamp the engraving so to speak? As opposed to doing the engraving by hand? At the end of the day is there a difference in the look between the 2 methods? That is really what matters lol.
Old 24 January 2017, 02:57 AM   #479
edo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
This made me laugh lol. Ok so why are they trying to cut costs now and go to stamped? Does it look any different? For instance can you tell a difference between the engraved dial or the stamped?

Honestly though for the dial to be like a sticker or whatever, that seems really cheap for this expensive of a watch. That is honestly a little disappointing.
Here is two blue dials... the one is the Ro, and the other is stamped ROO... you can see clear differences...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg royal_oak_dial_tapisserie_pattern_original_xl.jpg (127.1 KB, 151 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_8892.jpg (93.0 KB, 151 views)
edo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2017, 03:00 AM   #480
Phaedrus29
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I know it's not literally a sticker. But then does the machine stamp the engraving so to speak? As opposed to doing the engraving by hand? At the end of the day is there a difference in the look between the 2 methods? That is really what matters lol.
The engraved tapisserie dials are made using an old machine called a pantograph...you can see a video of how AP does it here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K0uW37FnCLM

As you can see from edo's pics, there is a difference in appearance (but it's much more noticeable in these macro pics). The engraved dials have that circular pattern and added texture.