The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Classifieds > WatchOut!!!

Old 19 March 2017, 01:56 AM   #1
dayusmc
"TRF" Member

Sub Question.. I noticed some difference between

This might be a basic thing for everyone, but when looking on ebay and other sites I noticed some differences in the same model. I know there are a lot of fakes out there. I am looking at pictures of different Sub 116610 on ebay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rolex-New-Su...QAAOSw~AVYsI-G

&

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ROLEX-116610...kAAMXQCndRgE8Q

I noticed on the face the printing 1000ft=300m is different on them. Are one of these watches fake? I can't see Rolex making the same watch with writing two different ways. The rest of the watch looks the same to me, at least from the pictures. Am I wrong thinking one of these is fake?
Thanks
dayusmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 March 2017, 10:23 AM   #2
kauffee
2024 ROLEX DATE-JUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610LN, 116500LN
Actually both of these printing styles on the dials are authentic. There have been a number of threads on this over in the main forum. Here is one, you can search for others:
https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=250929

Consensus seems to be that neither is older or newer, either. Rolex just seems to use both. There was a thread recently where someone had identified a 3rd and 4th variation.
kauffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 March 2017, 10:42 AM   #3
dayusmc
"TRF" Member

Thanks. I had no idea. But Dam that makes it harder to spot a fake! I definitely will have to watch out when buying one... My luck I will pay 8k and it will be fake! The only test that ever knew to do was to shake the watch to see if you hear the automatic wind- if you hear it, it is probably fake. That has been what I always was told. But the face print thing, I would have never guessed that Rolex had different prints out. You learn something new every day...
Old 19 March 2017, 01:50 PM   #4
kauffee
2024 ROLEX DATE-JUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610LN, 116500LN
There are plenty of ways to spot a fake and dial font is probably the least of them.

Are you considering buying one of those on eBay? If so, I would strongly reconsider. Spend some time here reading about the "trusted sellers" such as DavidSW, Takuya, justrolexes, etc. They will give you prices better than eBay and you can sleep easy knowing you won't get scammed. The 3 I mentioned even have their own websites.

Seriously, don't use eBay unless you really really know what you're doing.
kauffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 March 2017, 01:55 PM   #5
dayusmc
"TRF" Member

I was considering it. But I am not so sure now. I will check out those trusted sellers websites. I thought the only watches people had here for sale were used. So I will check out the trusted sellers. Thanks for pointing them out.
Old 19 March 2017, 03:00 PM   #6
Punchthefatkid
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kauffee View Post
There are plenty of ways to spot a fake and dial font is probably the least of them.

Are you considering buying one of those on eBay? If so, I would strongly reconsider. Spend some time here reading about the "trusted sellers" such as DavidSW, Takuya, justrolexes, etc. They will give you prices better than eBay and you can sleep easy knowing you won't get scammed. The 3 I mentioned even have their own websites.

Seriously, don't use eBay unless you really really know what you're doing.
This ^

Also, if you do go down the ebay route, try to find a seller who is selling their own personal watch.. they are out there if you look hard enough.

By this I mean someone who has the original purchase receipt from new or if they bought it used, some sort of paperwork that proves its their watch.

Too many stolen watches out there to not do one of the above.

One last thing, personally (and this may just be me) but I am always suspicious if the watch doesn't have the original box or papers. I mean who the hell would 'lose' these honestly - would you if you'd purchased a luxury watch? No, me neither.

Good luck anyway finding the watch you want, but as you will see in a lot of these threads - buy the seller first, by that they mean use a trusted seller, someone whose reputation is far more important to them than making a quick buck on a dodgy watch.

Cheers
Punchthefatkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 March 2017, 08:09 PM   #7
Abdullah71601
Banned

Watch: ing da Bears
Quote:
Originally Posted by Punchthefatkid View Post
This ^

Also, if you do go down the ebay route, try to find a seller who is selling their own personal watch.. they are out there if you look hard enough.

By this I mean someone who has the original purchase receipt from new or if they bought it used, some sort of paperwork that proves its their watch.

Too many stolen watches out there to not do one of the above.

One last thing, personally (and this may just be me) but I am always suspicious if the watch doesn't have the original box or papers. I mean who the hell would 'lose' these honestly - would you if you'd purchased a luxury watch? No, me neither.

Good luck anyway finding the watch you want, but as you will see in a lot of these threads - buy the seller first, by that they mean use a trusted seller, someone whose reputation is far more important to them than making a quick buck on a dodgy watch.

Cheers
I have seen several other customers at AD's decline the box when they bought their watch. They got the bracelet fit and left wearing the watch. AD said it happens often.

Box and papers are easily faked as well. There are not the best measure of authenticity.
Abdullah71601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 March 2017, 09:12 PM   #8
Punchthefatkid
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abdullah71601 View Post
I have seen several other customers at AD's decline the box when they bought their watch. They got the bracelet fit and left wearing the watch. AD said it happens often.

Box and papers are easily faked as well. There are not the best measure of authenticity.
More people would take the box & papers than would leave behind. Just my preference to have box & papers not a deal breaker - bit more difficult to fake original purchase receipt or proof of ownership which are the more important things I would be looking out for if buying a second hand watch.
Punchthefatkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 March 2017, 09:59 PM   #9
dayusmc
"TRF" Member

Ok, I know I am going to look dumb... but I can't find amy section that has Trusted Sellers. I looked in the classified section and there is a for sale section that has a bunch of members selling their watches and I see a Who's Who section with reviews from people who bought watches from people on here. But I can't find a list of Trusted Dealers with amy links to their websites... am I missing something here?
Old 19 March 2017, 10:27 PM   #10
droptopman
"TRF" Member

Watch: SUBS and GMT's!
Quote:
Originally Posted by dayusmc View Post
Ok, I know I am going to look dumb... but I can't find amy section that has Trusted Sellers. I looked in the classified section and there is a for sale section that has a bunch of members selling their watches and I see a Who's Who section with reviews from people who bought watches from people on here. But I can't find a list of Trusted Dealers with amy links to their websites... am I missing something here?

The trusted sellers are in the sales area. No special place. Some of them have their own websites too. If you find a watch you like, do a search in The Who's who section for the seller and check reviews. Google DavidSW, Takuya and some of the others and you will find their websites as well.
I would avoid eBay and stick with one of these guys or an Rolex authorized dealer. Not worth saving a few bucks to take the risk.
Ty: By height.
droptopman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 March 2017, 10:32 PM   #11
dayusmc
"TRF" Member

Ok thank you for the clarification. I will give it a try.