The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Panerai Discussion Forum

Old 13 December 2006, 03:10 AM   #1
----

Options - GMT/Alarm Watch

So, have been considering what I would like to buy (in the future) in the way of my next watch, and really have a desire for a GMT/Alarm watch.

Looking at the options out there, I have found the following so far:

1/ Vulcain Aviator - Vulcain is known for their "Cricket" watches and they offer this model with an alarm and GMT function. 42mm and retails for around $2,400 US or so.

(Not my picture)

2/ Moving up the price scale, the next is the JLC Master Compressor Memovox. I like this watch, and it's also 42mm. I have seen this for $6,400 US on a strap at some grey dealers, and $7,400 on a bracelet. I have a JLC already (the Master Moon) so I know hese are top quality watches, and a brand I like very much.

(Not my picture)

This is my video file of the alarm:

http://media.putfile.com/JLC

3/ Around the same price is the Panerai 98 that Launch Mini has.....this is his watch in fact. I've seen ot for $7,400 US, and it's also 42mm.

4/ The next is the Blanpain Leman GMT/Alarm. It's 41mm, which although not that different from the others it would help with my smallish wrists. Going up in price here to $10,700 US on a strap from a grey dealer. There are quite a few variations in terms of the dials and right now this one appeals to me as it's less busy than the dials with full arabics. I have a Leman Ultra-Slim Big Date already, and this would have a similar style. I like BP as a brand a lot, and although this would be sort of duplicating my other BP, it's much more sporty looking then the one I have now.

(Not my picture)

5/ Found this Breguet on sale - a Ref. 5707. Not my style at all. I am not generally a fan of Breguet......they are nice but they don't "click" with me. Definitely expensive and retails for $30,000 US. This is a "no go" on a few levels.

(Not my picture)

6/ Of course my current grail watch is the Ulysse Nardin Sonata Cathedral. I don't mind this one in white gold, but would take the rose gold version as well. Not terribly realistic as a choice since I think the sales guy at Solaris in Toronto said the list was $63,000 Canadian. I'm sure he would cut me a deal, but I doubt it would be the 80% off I'd need to afford this.

My video of the alarm....so weet!

http://media.putfile.com/Sonata-33

So, any other suggestions?
Old 13 December 2006, 03:15 AM   #2
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Watch: ALL SOLD!!
The Blancpain would be the pick of the lot for me!!

Absolutely superb!!

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
JJ Irani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 December 2006, 03:19 AM   #3
Atomic

All great choices and tough ones too (that is, the realistically priced ones).

The JLC Master Compressor is a grail for me, so that would likely be the one I'd go for. However, the Vulcain Cricket is a really good watch with a great little history, and for the money, it's a winner for sure.

I know you were looking long, hard and longingly at John's 98 in TO, too.

Tough call, but those three would be my short list of what you show. I think since you already have a BP Leman, that the one shown would be off the list (too similar). Since the 210 isn't smiling hard at you, when it seemed the 98 (with that great GP movement) was big time... that it would prolly be the winner.

Then again, you could always sell the JLC, GO and BP, and Jacqui's car to finance that Sonata Cathedral.
Old 13 December 2006, 03:21 AM   #4
----

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomic View Post
Then again, you could always sell the JLC, GO and BP, and Jacqui's car to finance that Sonata Cathedral.
Don't kid yourself.....I have considered it!
Old 13 December 2006, 03:23 AM   #5
Atomic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon View Post
Don't kid yourself.....I have considered it!
Oh, I know you have, my friend.
Old 13 December 2006, 03:27 AM   #6
madformac
"TRF" Member

I'd take the BP too. Exquisite watch.
madformac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 December 2006, 03:49 AM   #7
Launch Mini
"TRF" Member

Watch: can I?
I really like my 98, but the BP is very nice.
I say, the 98 though.
It is a bit different form the ones you already have, so change it up a tiny bit.

Member # 293
Launch Mini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 December 2006, 03:51 AM   #8
----

Quote:
Originally Posted by Launch Mini View Post
I really like my 98, but the BP is very nice.
I say, the 98 though.
It is a bit different form the ones you already have, so change it up a tiny bit.
Yours for sale?
Old 13 December 2006, 03:58 AM   #9
Langnam
"TRF" Member

As much as I like the concept of an alarm watch, I'd have to pass on all these models as I just can't get past the dual crowns.

I must be getting picky in my old age, but the double crown thing is a turn-off.

Sorry guys, but there's got to be a way to have one crown and an alarm. Is it too much to ask?
Langnam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 December 2006, 03:59 AM   #10
astcell
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116713
That Panerai is $7400US? It is $5100US here in Qatar! AND NO TAX!
astcell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 December 2006, 04:00 AM   #11
C.J.
"TRF" Member

That's a tough one, Al. I'd be torn between the JLC and the 98
Old 13 December 2006, 04:06 AM   #12
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Well for me its got to be the Breguet,myself don't like the UN at all even if it was just £20 not my cup of tea.The Breguet although there's a lot going on the dial,it don't seem to be as cluttered as some of the watches shown.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 December 2006, 04:09 AM   #13
astcell
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116713
I like the Blancpain a LOT.
astcell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 December 2006, 04:15 AM   #14
----

Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
Well for me its got to be the Breguet,myself don't like the UN at all even if it was just £20 not my cup of tea.The Breguet although there's a lot going on the dial,it don't seem to be as cluttered as some of the watches shown.
To each hs own, but to me the Breguet is sorta ugly. I really dislike the "Breguet" hands in particular.......
Old 13 December 2006, 04:23 AM   #15
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
To each hs own, but to me the Breguet is sorta ugly. I really dislike the "Breguet" hands in particular.......
Well Al for myself, the hands on the Breguet are the main point for me.They are similar to the blued hands on the one you just done.Those hands are very retro looking, and myself as far as watches, stuck firmly in the past.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 December 2006, 05:14 AM   #16
----

Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
Well Al for myself, the hands on the Breguet are the main point for me.They are similar to the blued hands on the one you just done.Those hands are very retro looking, and myself as far as watches, stuck firmly in the past.
The hands on my project watch are not of the Breguet style IMO, as they don't have the circular opening near the point. That is what I associate with being "Breguet" hands. And those blue hands on the project watch weren't my choice, they were my nephew's choice. I would have gone with word hands if it was my watch.

And it's okay, we know you are stuck in the past.

Old 13 December 2006, 07:47 AM   #17
mamas
"TRF" Member

I really dont like any of these watches.. the dials are far too busy. If i had to choose one i would choose the radomir, or go vintage and go for a vintage JLC memovax
mamas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 December 2006, 11:43 AM   #18
haakon59
"TRF" Member

Let's see. First, 4 alarm watches you can add to your list are:
1. Dubey & Schaldenbrand Sonnerie (around $5K?)
2. Girard Perregaux Traveller II (around $5500 retail, $3k grey market)
3. Revue Thommen Alarm (hand wound, around $1200.00 new?)
4. Eterna 1948 Alarm (around $5000.00)

I have tried on #1 and #2, both are excellent, I would likely pick the GP because they do such fine work on their movements--in this case the watch houses an older movement, the AS 5008 (which GP has rights to manufacture at this time). The Eterna also uses the AS 5008. They make excellent watches but are hard to get in the US.

Now of the ones you mentioned, I would say: Vulcain is solid choice with older movement which is reliable and has the advantage of being loud and easy to hear, like a cricket noise. This is the watch which Eisenhower, Nixon, and Lyndon Johnson wore while they were President (Revue Thommen used that exact same movement until 1997). The disadvantage, if you want to call it that, is that it is hand wound. Given that I usually wear automatics, I am prone to forgetting to wind sometimes.

JLC--fantastic quality and the prices are extremely reasonable for what you get. I have tried this one on and it's on my list to buy. Beautiful watch with great manufacture movement. The only issue I have is that the nice sounding alarm can easily be too soft sounding in many settings to alert you. Everything on this watch is first rate: attention to detail, value, comfort, durability, etc.

Blancpain--this one is also on my list. It's got a newly designed manufacture movement and the alarm is reasonably loud. This watch shares the same movement with it's "brother", the Breguet, although Breguet does much more finishing work and has a finer case. I like Blancpain as a brand and want to own this one myself. Great choice in my opinion.

I like the Breguet as well, but since you are not in favor and it's a lot of money and it shares the same movement with the above, that's enough said.

Panerai--This uses the same AS 5008 designed movement as the GP and many other manufacturers like Eterna and Dubey & Schaldenbrand. I have not tried this one on but I know that Panerai tends to wear big on the wrist. They do a good job designing very readable dials and I have not heard anyone complain about durability, etc. Solid watch is my impression.

Ulysse Nardin Sonata--If I had the money I would buy it--it is the class of this category. It's a pretty big watch and wears big but it's impressive with a brand new manufacture movement and features (countdown timer) that no other mechanical watch has. The alarm sounds wonderful, I would say it's a bit like JLC's tone.

If I were going to pick one, I would go with Blancpain. If I could also afford a 2nd sportier model, I would pick the JLC. Have fun shopping.
haakon59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 December 2006, 11:59 AM   #19
Rockrolex
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: What do you think?
I would have to go with either the BP or the Breguet of the ones you listed. But if you want an alarm that you can really hear in just about any condition, this is the one:

It's the alarm I can hear on the beach competing with the sound of the pounding surf.

Tosser Cabinet Member

Official Member: 'Perpetual 30' Vegas International GTG 2016
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2017
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2018
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2019
Rockrolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 December 2006, 08:10 PM   #20
mailman
TRF Moderator & DATE-JUST41 2024 Patron

Watch: 126610LN
Personaly I would go for the Blancpain. If you like it that much but think it's too similar to the one you already have, maybe you could unload it?
Old 15 December 2006, 12:20 AM   #21
----

Quote:
Originally Posted by mailman View Post
Personaly I would go for the Blancpain. If you like it that much but think it's too similar to the one you already have, maybe you could unload it?
I am leaning that way too Paul. And as far as it being too close to the other BP I have, I think it's different enough that I have no problems with having both. If I look at the various Panerai's that many people own, there is much more of a difference between this BP and the one I own than some of the Panny's......IMO at least.
Old 15 December 2006, 12:24 AM   #22
----

Quote:
Originally Posted by haakon59 View Post
Let's see. First, 4 alarm watches you can add to your list are:
1. Dubey & Schaldenbrand Sonnerie (around $5K?)
2. Girard Perregaux Traveller II (around $5500 retail, $3k grey market)
3. Revue Thommen Alarm (hand wound, around $1200.00 new?)
4. Eterna 1948 Alarm (around $5000.00)

I have tried on #1 and #2, both are excellent, I would likely pick the GP because they do such fine work on their movements--in this case the watch houses an older movement, the AS 5008 (which GP has rights to manufacture at this time). The Eterna also uses the AS 5008. They make excellent watches but are hard to get in the US.

Ulysse Nardin Sonata--If I had the money I would buy it--it is the class of this category. It's a pretty big watch and wears big but it's impressive with a brand new manufacture movement and features (countdown timer) that no other mechanical watch has. The alarm sounds wonderful, I would say it's a bit like JLC's tone.

If I were going to pick one, I would go with Blancpain. If I could also afford a 2nd sportier model, I would pick the JLC. Have fun shopping.
Thanks for the suggestions. I'll check those out - are they all GMT watches as well as alarm watches? Sounds like the GP is at least.

The Sonata is definitely one I would love to have. I have heard a few of these in person and the Sonata chime is much different than any of the others, including the JLC. If you watch the video clips in my initial post you will hear the difference. The UN is more of a chime than an alarm.......some of the others are more of a buzzing sound.
Old 15 December 2006, 12:28 AM   #23
Atomic

Quote:
Thanks for the suggestions. I'll check those out - are they all GMT watches as well as alarm watches? Sounds like the GP is at least.

The Sonata is definitely one I would love to have. I have heard a few of these in person and the Sonata chime is much different than any of the others, including the JLC. If you watch the video clips in my initial post you will hear the difference. The UN is more of a chime than an alarm.......some of the others are more of a buzzing sound.
Agreed... the JLC Master Control Memovox sounds more like a gym buzzer while the Sonata sounds more like a church gong or something. More melodious!
Old 15 December 2006, 01:50 AM   #24
Launch Mini
"TRF" Member

One thing to consider.
On my PAM98, the GMT is a 24 hour dial.
On the odd instance where the power reserve runs out, I can tell at what point to reset the hours. ie the first 12 or second 12 for the date to switch at mid-nite
It's minor, but I don't have to run the hands around a full cylce to tell if it stopped am or pm

Member # 293
Old 15 December 2006, 04:08 AM   #25
alpet

Watch: me carefully
That BP sure is sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet!!
Defiantly my choice of the six
alpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2006, 04:32 AM   #26
haakon59
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Just wanted to clarify that the sound comparison I was making in my head was from the now discontinued model the JLC Master Reveil, not the JLC Master Compressor, which you had listed above. Don't know why I made that switch, but I didn't mean to mislead. The JLC Master Reveil has a soft chiming sound, similar to the Sonata although the Sonata's is louder and cuts through noise din better. Sorry about the confusion.

To answer your question about GMT function: the Dubey & Schaldenbrand and the Girard Perregaux do have GMT, while the Eterna instead has the day of the week and the Revue Thommen has neither. Hope this clarifies things.
haakon59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2006, 04:38 AM   #27
Launch Mini
"TRF" Member

My 98 is a buzz, like an electric razor.
The JLC sounded like a traditional alarm clock.
The UN, was a musical instrument.

Member # 293
Old 15 December 2006, 04:39 AM   #28
Atomic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Launch Mini View Post
My 98 is a buzz, like an electric razor.
The JLC sounded like a traditional alarm clock.
The UN, was a musical instrument.
You know... that day and particularly the visit to THAT store will live in my memory clearly until I die. That was one awesomely fun day!
Old 15 December 2006, 04:44 AM   #29
Launch Mini
"TRF" Member

That was a great day

Member # 293