The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 19 February 2017, 10:33 PM   #1
matthijs
"TRF" Member

Rolex Service cost?

Hi everyone,

I'm new to the Rolex forums and wasn't completely sure if this was the right place to post this question, so I apologize if it's not.

I recently inherited a 1980's Datejust (16030) from my grandfather who passed away and I wanted to get the watch serviced to fully restore it in his honour. After dropping it off at the local authorized Rolex dealer (in the Netherlands) they gave me a quote of 1150 euros (around $1220), which includes the replacement of the crystal, the rotor and the crown (and maybe a few other things that I forgot).

Is this what I can expect to pay at any dealer, or is this abnormally expensive? The basic fee for standard full service is 750 euros at this place. I realize that servicing Rolex watches is a delicate process and requires a high level of precision, but I was pretty shocked to hear this. Does anyone know if there are lower cost alternatives available? While I don't want to be cheap and settle for imperfect service, I would prefer not to pay more than necessary.

Thanks very much for your insights!

Kind regards,
Matthijs
Old 10 March 2017, 01:29 AM   #2
chrisca70
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing you!
In the US, watchmakers with training up to Rolex standards, correct tools, and parts account service starts at $400-450, add crystal, crown and rotor and I guess you should be around US$700-800. You can ship it to Rikki (forum member "Ricki" at Timecareinc.com) or Vanessa (forum member "Vanessa CW21") they both have excellent reputation. With shipping both ways you probably will be just under a $1000...
Old 10 March 2017, 08:59 AM   #3
Sweetswisssteel
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126618LB
Why add crystal?

Sent from my HTC_0P6B using Tapatalk
Old 14 March 2017, 11:51 PM   #4
Chiel
"TRF" Member

Hi Matthijs,

I'd give Wesselink en Vreeker a call. This is an independent watchmaker in Alkmaar with a solid reputation.

Also, before sending the watch in for repair think about whether you wish to have it polished or not. There is a lot of debate on that topic.

Last edited by Chiel; 14 March 2017 at 11:51 PM.. Reason: Typo
Old 18 March 2017, 09:23 AM   #5
Sweetswisssteel
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126618LB
Get it polished for sure. Only the dealer wants it unpolished and they don't wear it.

Old 20 March 2017, 04:53 PM   #6
Vanessa CW21
TechXpert & 2016 Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisca70 View Post
In the US, watchmakers with training up to Rolex standards, correct tools, and parts account service starts at $400-450, add crystal, crown and rotor and I guess you should be around US$700-800. You can ship it to Rikki (forum member "Ricki" at Timecareinc.com) or Vanessa (forum member "Vanessa CW21") they both have excellent reputation. With shipping both ways you probably will be just under a $1000...
I appreciate the recommendation, but since this watch has a high emotional value I would recommend shipping it across the Atlantic. Keep it in the Netherlands, or drive it to Belgium if preferred. I think you will be very happy with the service at the RSC even though I understand it's a lot of money.
The watch will last past generations if taken care of properly.

Sent from my SM-G930T1 using Tapatalk

Watch my Rolex repair video: https://youtu.be/jDnaotCTpTA
Old 20 March 2017, 04:54 PM   #7
Vanessa CW21
TechXpert & 2016 Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetswisssteel View Post
Why add crystal?

Acrylic crystals are always replaced at a service with RSC.

Old 27 May 2017, 10:31 PM   #8
Basque1
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT Master 1973ca
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanessa CW21 View Post
Acrylic crystals are always replaced at a service with RSC.

Would it detract the value of a GMT circa 1973 to change the crystal to a sapphire crystal and 2nd will it fit this year's watch?
Old 28 May 2017, 12:04 AM   #9
Vanessa CW21
TechXpert & 2016 Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basque1 View Post
Would it detract the value of a GMT circa 1973 to change the crystal to a sapphire crystal and 2nd will it fit this year's watch?
It doesn't fit right. The watch won't be water resistant anymore, and yes, it would impact the value.

Old 28 May 2017, 01:41 AM   #10
Basque1
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT Master 1973ca
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanessa CW21 View Post
It doesn't fit right. The watch won't be water resistant anymore, and yes, it would impact the value.

Thanks
Lou
Old 12 July 2017, 12:37 PM   #11
bulminnow
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yacth Master
How much for new sub band

My 2 tone Sub band is stretched and wondering how much for a new one or have it repaired
Old 12 July 2017, 01:51 PM   #12
tamiya
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthijs View Post
I recently inherited a 1980's Datejust (16030) from my grandfather who passed away and I wanted to get the watch serviced to fully restore it in his honour. After dropping it off at the local authorized Rolex dealer (in the Netherlands) they gave me a quote of 1150 euros (around $1220), which includes the replacement of the crystal, the rotor and the crown (and maybe a few other things that I forgot).
How bad is the condition now?

What are your plans for the watch afterwards... will you be wearing it daily? Or will it just sit in a box mostly, only getting out once a blue moon.

Do you really want a shiny like-new item to remember them by, or something that looked like when they last used it.

I am in possession of my grandparents watches, one of which grandma was wearing when she heaved her last breath. It's in a box unworn since, I haven't even washed it. No point sending them out to get serviced as they still run fine, I want to keep all original parts & patina intact.

Heirlooms do not need to be shiny
Old 25 July 2017, 01:28 AM   #13
indy78
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116233 Serti
Classic Watch Repair

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulminnow View Post
My 2 tone Sub band is stretched and wondering how much for a new one or have it repaired
Contact Michael Young at Classic Watch Repair regarding your Sub bracelet. Just do a search here, or google Classic Watch Repair. Many people on TRF are very happy with his work. My jubilee bracelet is there now.
Old 15 September 2017, 07:34 AM   #14
abobechko
"TRF" Member

Jubilee watch band repair

I have a two tone ladies datejust from 1994 that I have worn continually for 22 years. The band is now stretched out, and a hinge on the clasp has broken. I would like to continue to wear my watch, but am worried about the integrity of the band.

Does anyone have an idea of what it would cost to replace the clasp and refursbish the band? I have had a watch repair company in Toronto quote me $300 for a used clasp or $1,500 for a used band, however they cannot refurbish the band. The watch has been serviced over the years (by Rolex and others) and continues to tell time very well.

I have sent an email to Classic Watch repair for an estimate, but not sure if there is anyone closer to home who could work on my watch?
Old 30 September 2017, 02:48 AM   #15
ChrisB
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1016 Explorer I
In case it helps, a genuine new factory S/S oyster ladydate bracelet just cost £750 in UK for my wife's watch after nearly 17 years use; worn 24/7 apart from servicing and field hockey matches. Costly, yes, but without replacement, she was in danger of the band breaking and losing the watch which has higher monetary value as well as sentimental attachment.
Old 3 October 2017, 04:49 AM   #16
jopek
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek, IWC , Rolex
About 2yrs ago, I took my 1980's DD to my local RSC/ Dealer in Saudi Arabia and paid $USD 400 for a complete service (inc parts and polish). Its fixed price. It took 10 days and looked brand new when it came back. They said it did not really need servicing as it was OK. This is only the 2nd service it has ever had, the last being maybe 15yrs previous. I guess the difference in cost is labour rate and possible high volume turnover because of the popularity of Rolex. By comparison, the cost to service the same watch at a RSC in Bahrain was $USD800.
Old 4 October 2017, 09:59 AM   #17
ipoh
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 114060
Hello, i'm staying in Malaysia. Does anyone have a recommendation for a reputation service watchmaker in my country? thank you.
Old 8 October 2017, 12:38 AM   #18
tamiya
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipoh View Post
Hello, i'm staying in Malaysia. Does anyone have a recommendation for a reputation service watchmaker in my country? thank you.
Which model of watch are you needing service?

I'm sure Perak has various independent watchmakers but afaik for proper RSC you'll have go down to KL or even Singapore if that's more convenient.

Don't know if ever I'd trust any courier or mail to handle valuable watches, we usually only ever take them in by hand in person.
Old 8 October 2017, 03:32 AM   #19
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 Patron

Watch: GMT's
This Thread is closed...

There are too many "add-on" posts many months after the initial start that have nothing to do with the original post and should be their own subject.

This renders the original post and proper answers difficult to track and make sense of.
Closed Thread