The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Panerai Discussion Forum

Old 4 December 2008, 03:50 PM   #31
hflee55
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me Watching You!!
i like the designs...own a PAM Submersible. Panerai also has a rich history on their watches.
hflee55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 December 2008, 03:53 PM   #32
DanP
Banned

Watch: GV-U-Kno-Me :)
Imo they look like 10$ watches you see at the mall. I Dont like the dials or the 'trendy big watches' just my $.02
DanP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 December 2008, 03:59 PM   #33
dman
Lifetime TRF Patron

Watch: the road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Launch Mini View Post
Do a little more research before comments like this one.
I know John, but not worth it bro, LOL! I would almost say ignor.....nah, nevermind.

I really hope that midget cop doesn't find me in Kokomo.
dman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 December 2008, 04:29 PM   #34
WatchTimes
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: It's a Rolex!
Quote:
Originally Posted by WJGESQ View Post
They do not appear to have a claim to fame outside of the Rocky connection. No particular history comparable to Rolex or Omega. Seems to primarily a fashion statement type of watch. Kind of like an expensive Fossil?
Ummm excuse me???
Please, do your homework before you make a bold statement like that
No history? They were almost open 1/2 a century before Rolex.
Don't get me wrong, I love my Rolex watches, have yet to buy I pan... I will but there are a few more easily obtainable Rolexs I want first. Once I get those I will get a few other watches in the 10G range, after that I will get my Platinum or WG DD but thats quite a few years down the road since I can never seem to sell anything I own...

"Panerai was founded in 1860 in Florence by Giovanni Panerai (1825–1897). It later became the official supplier to the Royal Italian Navy and expanded to building precision instruments. The company is famous for its Radiomir and Luminor watches, notable for their use by Italian commando frogmen.

The Florence-based watchmaker produced wrist worn diving instruments and about 300 watches, all for the Italian Marina Militare, between 1938 and 1993. By that time, the company ceased to provide watches to the Marina Militare, as they were no longer cost-effective nor did they meet the naval specifications. It then moved to launch its products to the civilian market, but remained relatively obscure until the actor Sylvester Stallone spotted and bought a Panerai Luminor in a jewelry store in Rome in 1995 to wear during shooting of the film Daylight. Stallone ordered a small batch of such watches with his signature on the case back, called Slytech. He offered them as gifts to friends, including Arnold Schwarzenegger. The watch gained rapid popularity, and Officine Panerai was eventually taken over by Richemont in 1997.

Panerai's success with large watches has also led other companies to introduce larger watches, including Audemars Piguet, IWC and Swatch.

Panerai has four major lines of watches, Historic, Contemporary, Manifattura and Special Editions. Panerai issues Special Editions every year. In 2006 it issued the 1936 California Dial Radiomir special edition, a reissue of the first Panerai model ever presented to the Italian Marina Militare. This model was limited to a run of 1936 units.

Aficionados of Panerai are known as "Paneristi", a term coined along the lines of "Ferraristi".

When the contract between Girard-Perregaux and Ferrari expired a new partnership was signed with Panerai to develop, manufacture and distribute watches under the Ferrari trademark. A New York representative for the watch company has called Panerai the official timekeeper to Ferrari. These wristwatches, available in the US from early August 2006, have 11 models and cost between $5,300 and $26,500. Panerai Ferrari watches are divided into two collections: Granturismo and Scuderia.

Panerai watches are amongst the most scarce in the world. In fact, the watch manufacturer can lay claim to being the most elusive watch brand globally - regularly producing fewer watches than the market demands. Mike Miller of McAllen, Texas is reported to have singlehandedly promoted Panerai to all Mexican Nationals thereby creating a spike in sales to Mexican customers. (SocialMex Magazine, July, 2008). Retailers only receive a few pieces each per year and it is not uncommon for long customer waiting lists for popular models."

Kentucky Colonel, Tennessee Squire & Combat Leprechaun
WatchTimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 December 2008, 05:02 PM   #35
Lamone
Banned

Watch: ya mawt!
I love them and think that Panerai is a nice upgrade from Rolex.
Lamone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 December 2008, 05:09 PM   #36
C. Davidson
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT (116710)
What I like about Panerai:
  • Large case size, 44mm+
  • Exhibition backs (111/112)
  • Unique crown guard
  • Art Deco case design (Luminor)

For some brands, you need to be close enough to read the dial to see who made the watch. You can spot a Panerai from across the room.
#15,634

"The heart of the discerning acquires knowledge; the ears of the wise seek it out."
C. Davidson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 December 2008, 05:20 PM   #37
Bisquitlips
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: YM Deep Space
Quote:
Originally Posted by JYogi View Post
Ummm excuse me???
Please, do your homework before you make a bold statement like that
No history? They were almost open 1/2 a century before Rolex.
Don't get me wrong, I love my Rolex watches, have yet to buy I pan... I will but there are a few more easily obtainable Rolexs I want first. Once I get those I will get a few other watches in the 10G range, after that I will get my Platinum or WG DD but thats quite a few years down the road since I can never seem to sell anything I own...

"Panerai was founded in 1860 in Florence by Giovanni Panerai (1825–1897). It later became the official supplier to the Royal Italian Navy and expanded to building precision instruments. The company is famous for its Radiomir and Luminor watches, notable for their use by Italian commando frogmen.

The Florence-based watchmaker produced wrist worn diving instruments and about 300 watches, all for the Italian Marina Militare, between 1938 and 1993. By that time, the company ceased to provide watches to the Marina Militare, as they were no longer cost-effective nor did they meet the naval specifications. It then moved to launch its products to the civilian market, but remained relatively obscure until the actor Sylvester Stallone spotted and bought a Panerai Luminor in a jewelry store in Rome in 1995 to wear during shooting of the film Daylight. Stallone ordered a small batch of such watches with his signature on the case back, called Slytech. He offered them as gifts to friends, including Arnold Schwarzenegger. The watch gained rapid popularity, and Officine Panerai was eventually taken over by Richemont in 1997.

Panerai's success with large watches has also led other companies to introduce larger watches, including Audemars Piguet, IWC and Swatch.

Panerai has four major lines of watches, Historic, Contemporary, Manifattura and Special Editions. Panerai issues Special Editions every year. In 2006 it issued the 1936 California Dial Radiomir special edition, a reissue of the first Panerai model ever presented to the Italian Marina Militare. This model was limited to a run of 1936 units.

Aficionados of Panerai are known as "Paneristi", a term coined along the lines of "Ferraristi".

When the contract between Girard-Perregaux and Ferrari expired a new partnership was signed with Panerai to develop, manufacture and distribute watches under the Ferrari trademark. A New York representative for the watch company has called Panerai the official timekeeper to Ferrari. These wristwatches, available in the US from early August 2006, have 11 models and cost between $5,300 and $26,500. Panerai Ferrari watches are divided into two collections: Granturismo and Scuderia.

Panerai watches are amongst the most scarce in the world. In fact, the watch manufacturer can lay claim to being the most elusive watch brand globally - regularly producing fewer watches than the market demands. Mike Miller of McAllen, Texas is reported to have singlehandedly promoted Panerai to all Mexican Nationals thereby creating a spike in sales to Mexican customers. (SocialMex Magazine, July, 2008). Retailers only receive a few pieces each per year and it is not uncommon for long customer waiting lists for popular models."
Great information! My compliments!!!
Oris TT1 Pro Diver Regulator 43MM
Bisquitlips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 December 2008, 05:29 PM   #38
cwru32
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT IIC TT
no offence to anyone but those watches scream g*y to me! perfectly fits that lifestyle tho..
Old 4 December 2008, 05:44 PM   #39
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Watch: ALL SOLD!!
Tried one on once.....didn't like it too much!!

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
JJ Irani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 December 2008, 05:58 PM   #40
SS Oyster
"TRF" Member

Very trendy of late, but they've been around for quite a while and very appealing to most that try them. They are definitely not for those with small wrists.

Most come with rubber straps, but they do have very nice and ingenious bracelets.

I've been to many Panerai ADs including the main US dealer in Beverly Hills.

What's appealing about them? (Size, ruggedness, sportiness, resale value, lume, come with very nice and large box, BH AD willing to give extra alligator strap, very helpful ADs, terrific caseback engravings and some with saphire crystal casebacks, unique look, anti-glare crystal coatings)

What's not so great about them? (Expensive bracelets, cost, non-manufacture movements until just recently, no options - you either like sporty or you don't get a Panerai, huge looking on most men, not suitable with dress wear, lack of history)

I will eventually purchase one for my eventual collection, but not ahead of the other Rolex watches I want and Blancpain FF chrono (my next watch purchase).
SS Oyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 December 2008, 07:03 PM   #41
gmtobsessed
"TRF" Member

I love the simple design, but only for simple historic radiomir
not big fan of luminor
gmtobsessed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 December 2008, 07:22 PM   #42
daveathall
"TRF" Member

Watch: Various
Beautiful watches have had two, a PAM 24 and 25, will have one again but not at the expense of my SD.

DAVE

daveathall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 December 2008, 08:17 PM   #43
Trurolexer
Banned

Watch: 5513MaxiI+PreComex
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmtobsessed View Post
I love the simple design, but only for simple historic radiomir
not big fan of luminor
Try first Bro....Try first!!!
Trurolexer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2008, 01:59 AM   #44
Vito_Corleone

They look awesome.
Vito_Corleone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2008, 10:32 AM   #45
brainbizz

Everybody has an opinion which is fine with me. Keep telling yourselves that they are a POS with no history if that makes you feel better. I will keep buying them regardless.
brainbizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2008, 10:47 AM   #46
Defiancekofb
"TRF" Member

Wow big surprise, alot of PAM haters on a Rolex forum......... Like other PAM enthusiasts such as myself have stated I wear my PAM for myself, I don't give a crock if the individual across the room, will recognize my watch or not. I also like the overall design because it fits in my age demographic, dare I say, the luminor has a wacky cartoon dial appeal. (Which I love!) If you wanted to go into promotion, Rolex is only Rolex because it was present in many of the early Bond movies, they then capitalized on the Bond PR with their own marketing blitz throughout the world. (For the person who says PAMs are only famous because of a movie star.)
Defiancekofb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2008, 10:51 AM   #47
Defiancekofb
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brainbizz View Post
everybody has an opinion which is fine with me. Keep telling yourselves that they are a pos with no history if that makes you feel better. I will keep buying them regardless.
+1
Defiancekofb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2008, 12:27 PM   #48
arielc
"TRF" Member

i have a few rolex watches and 1 panerai. i think the panerai is got its
own character. it is not as common seen as a rolex, and it is getting
it fame and popularity around.
arielc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2008, 03:55 PM   #49
jamesh
"TRF" Member

I think the misunderstanding comes from the fact that Panerai have not been "well known" for as long as Rolex - but as anyone who has done a bit of research knows, Panerai does have the heritage and pedigree.

So, I think it's not so much an question of whether it's a good brand or - but rather a question of personal taste. And for me, I love Panerai for their heritage and simple, unique design. I also love my Rolex for different reasons.
jamesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2008, 09:30 PM   #50
VazLube

Quote:
Originally Posted by brainbizz View Post
Everybody has an opinion which is fine with me. Keep telling yourselves that they are a POS with no history if that makes you feel better. I will keep buying them regardless.
++

I get the impression that some people get frustrated with retail prices and scarcity of them. Panerais are often not the watches you walk in and buy pronto, as in instant gratification. Those people then go on and thrash Panerai to make themselves feel better for not owning one.

That being said, I love them, it was love as first sight. Likewise I'm getting more Panerais regadless.
VazLube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 December 2008, 12:19 AM   #51
GBJIV
"TRF" Member

Out of all of my watches - And I am fortunate to have some stunners from Rolex that I love.... I receive the most compliments on my PAM than any other.
Old 20 December 2011, 08:43 PM   #52
sycomsimon

Watch: Sub, Pres, Panerai
Is your PAM Ferrari uncomfortable on your wrist?

Mine with the black/yellow alligator strap digs into my wrist, it´s the metal clasp from the catch.

Is the rubber strap a better option ?
sycomsimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 December 2011, 01:28 AM   #53
eric23
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sycomsimon View Post
Mine with the black/yellow alligator strap digs into my wrist, it´s the metal clasp from the catch.

Is the rubber strap a better option ?
Do you have the deployment or a buckle on the strap?
eric23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 December 2011, 01:41 AM   #54
wowie74
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamone View Post
I love them and think that Panerai is a nice upgrade from Rolex.
+1
wowie74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 December 2011, 02:17 AM   #55
MrTito
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR, JLC Deep Sea
The comparison with Rolex is largely irrelevant, like comparing Ferrari with Porsche. You go for what sings your specific tune. I love oversized watches whether its a DSSD, PAM, Aquatimer etc etc - I like what I like and I don't need another person to legitimise that. Always nice if someone notices and compliments, but frankly I wear the watch, the watch doesn't where me.
MrTito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 December 2011, 02:24 AM   #56
ocwatching
"TRF" Member

This thread was from 2008?!?
Old 21 December 2011, 02:24 AM   #57
B. Doggy
"TRF" Member

Old school thread!!!
Old 21 December 2011, 02:56 AM   #58
Kevin.S
"TRF" Member

Watch: All of them
Like stepping back in "Time" :)

I love all watches,,(Nice ones)
Kevin.S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 December 2011, 03:39 AM   #59
h999r
Banned

Watch: -ing Barts.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTito View Post
The comparison with Rolex is largely irrelevant, like comparing Ferrari with Porsche. You go for what sings your specific tune. I love oversized watches whether its a DSSD, PAM, Aquatimer etc etc - I like what I like and I don't need another person to legitimise that. Always nice if someone notices and compliments, but frankly I wear the watch, the watch doesn't where me.
so which one is Ferrari, which one is Porsche though .. Pan and Rolex are equallly the same , correct me if Im wrong.
h999r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 December 2011, 04:24 AM   #60
eric23
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by B. Doggy View Post
Old school thread!!!
I like the photo of JJ with the PAM!
eric23 is offline   Reply With Quote