The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Closed Thread

Old 16 May 2021, 01:45 AM   #541
101031-28
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1665
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry-57 View Post
I don't think so.

If they were offering a share in the business and were willing to go through due diligence then maybe.

Churches, charities and politicians are at it all day long. It's a model that is known known to work. It's how the rich stay rich.
100% this.

Ian Fleming
Old 16 May 2021, 01:59 AM   #542
charger
Banned

Watch: Yachtmaster 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveTheWatchGuy View Post
I have been enjoying TPG’s videos every week. Great content. But I can’t say that I’m going to be wiring them $2000 anytime soon to help outfit their new store. (They’re asking 1000 of their fans to donate $2000 towards a $2 million renovation of their new store. In exchange you become a “vip” customer and will be offered their leftover must-sell inventory at wholesale prices as a perk)

The way I see it, If they can afford to drive lambos, enjoy $17,000 steak meals and have million dollar personal watch collections, they should pay for their own damn store renovations.

Now if they said pony up $2k and we’ll give you a small % of our profits each year...that’s a different story. But just imagine how hard it will be to compete with 1000 other people for their “flash sales” on this exclusive VIP Facebook page.

The whole thing is in poor taste IMO. What do you all think about it? Am I being too critical?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You are on point.
Old 16 May 2021, 01:59 AM   #543
DaveTheWatchGuy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
You started a social media company with low overhead. Step two buy the largest brick and mortar you can afford and yolo your profits into watches and sushi. Winning.

Old 16 May 2021, 02:01 AM   #544
DaveTheWatchGuy
"TRF" Member

Timepiece Gentleman “fundraiser”

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~JJ View Post
There’s already a thread where this topic has been beaten to death, checkout the general topic section…

My bad! Will check it out.

Old 16 May 2021, 02:02 AM   #545
DaveTheWatchGuy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
Just cannot understand why the need to bring such topics in the Rolex/Tudor watch only forum. Stuff like this belongs on the so called sociel media sites and not on TRF.

Sorry for making you click on this thread Peter.

Old 16 May 2021, 02:15 AM   #546
Haveapair
Banned

They can't afford anything in their lifestyle. They are just spending the money their investor gave them. They told the investor that they were buying the lambo and the investor said yes in one of the vids, nuts. That investment is supposed to go to inventory to turn over. These guys are scam artists.
Old 16 May 2021, 02:16 AM   #547
1995akcoop
"TRF" Member

Im not the most business savvy BUT millions in renovations for a property you down own is just dumb. Raise the 2 mill and buy!! Either way, though a fan, im not donating to the cause.

Old 16 May 2021, 02:19 AM   #548
Brew
"TRF" Member

Only if he uses it to buy a shirt with a collar.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 16 May 2021, 02:19 AM   #549
Dr H A
"TRF" Member

They are very shady in business
Will try to avoid dealing with them 100 percent
Old 16 May 2021, 02:28 AM   #550
sxdcfv
Banned

Agree, the old adage about a fool and his money apples to this situation.

Old 16 May 2021, 02:50 AM   #551
ronricks
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 126610LV
There are a few dealers who drive exotic cars and eat expensive meals every night of the week and nobody criticized them on here for it. It isn’t just TPG doing that.
Old 16 May 2021, 02:54 AM   #552
dmitrii_
"TRF" Member

Nice idea to bag a quick 2 mil off of their YouTube fans.
Kinda crazy how they want a basically free 2 million dollar injection into their business.
Seems to be working though

ig: therolexgram
Old 16 May 2021, 03:00 AM   #553
~JJ
"TRF" Member

Watch: explorer
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronricks View Post
There are a few dealers who drive exotic cars and eat expensive meals every night of the week and nobody criticized them on here for it. It isn’t just TPG doing that.
I think people on here, generally speaking, have no issues with how you spend ‘your hard earned money’, but people question the legitimacy on the money TG is spending. I think the Floridian you are referring to has a long established business that we’ve seen grow by baby steps over the last 15+ years before getting flashy. Just my observation.
Old 16 May 2021, 03:01 AM   #554
Fleetlord
"TRF" Member

This is not a surprising move by TPG. In the social media spectrum, buying clubs with "exclusive access" to pricing and networking are nothing new. It's just part of the digital economy. Whether the owners manage it properly and provide value...or just scam everyone Dan B style remains to be seen...Some people see it as only $2k..who cares??? Others are infuriated and rail against it. I think their buy in is a bit high. They might need to add a lower tier.
Old 16 May 2021, 03:01 AM   #555
Infusion1
"TRF" Member

I don’t agree with the method of fundraising, but you are confusing the business model. They are creating content for YouTube in order to generate revenue. Watches just happen to be the subject matter. A group of watch enthusiasts discussing the fundraising on a forum help generate YouTube subscribers and more clicks. You watching the videos is the business, not flipping 20 watches a month for $1k. Lambos, gold steaks, crazy fundraising and a $2m store buildout creates content. I wouldn’t buy a watch from them, but I would bet they will become very successful and generate big revenue dollars.
Old 16 May 2021, 03:03 AM   #556
Lemieux66
"TRF" Member

Watch: $10 Casio
I find it astonishing that anyone would be ‘fans’ of these people. All they do is buy watches at a lower price, then sell them at a higher price. They’re not providing any value for the public and are not impressive in any way. What reason on earth is there to throw your own hard-earned at them? Just bizarre.
Old 16 May 2021, 03:04 AM   #557
Lemieux66
"TRF" Member

Watch: $10 Casio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infusion1 View Post
I don’t agree with the method of fundraising, but you are confusing the business model. They are creating content for YouTube in order to generate revenue. Watches just happen to be the subject matter. A group of watch enthusiasts discussing the fundraising on a forum help generate YouTube subscribers and more clicks. You watching the videos is the business, not flipping 20 watches a month for $1k. Lambos, gold steaks, crazy fundraising and a $2m store buildout creates content. I wouldn’t buy a watch from them, but I would bet they will become very successful and generate big revenue dollars.
They’re not making a lot of money on YT yet.
Old 16 May 2021, 03:05 AM   #558
drcab
"TRF" Member

The lead guy is a Felon. Why would u trust him?
Old 16 May 2021, 03:18 AM   #559
brucethemanlee
"TRF" Member

sounds ponzi-like lottery. give me $2000 and you 'might' get access to some kind of watch in the future at wholesale prices

and worse than AD....
Old 16 May 2021, 03:21 AM   #560
BNABOD
"TRF" Member

Doesn’t sound shady at all ..,
Old 16 May 2021, 03:24 AM   #561
fskywalker
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Is Ticking !
No way!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Zenith 02.470.405
Henry Archer Eclipse

2FA security enabled
Old 16 May 2021, 03:28 AM   #562
dnd2984
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~JJ View Post
I think people on here, generally speaking, have no issues with how you spend ‘your hard earned money’, but people question the legitimacy on the money TG is spending. I think the Floridian you are referring to has a long established business that we’ve seen grow by baby steps over the last 15+ years before getting flashy. Just my observation.
Agree with this... The Floridian took some time to get to where he is... TPG did this in 2 years..
Old 16 May 2021, 03:39 AM   #563
Hawk44
"TRF" Member

It’s the old high on their own supply method

He spends and spends adding pieces to his own collection while borrowing cash. He’s got bold ideas I’ll give him that.
Old 16 May 2021, 03:46 AM   #564
IamJacky
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveTheWatchGuy View Post
I have been enjoying TPG’s videos every week. Great content. But I can’t say that I’m going to be wiring them $2000 anytime soon to help outfit their new store. (They’re asking 1000 of their fans to donate $2000 towards a $2 million renovation of their new store. In exchange you become a “vip” customer and will be offered their leftover must-sell inventory at wholesale prices as a perk)

The way I see it, If they can afford to drive lambos, enjoy $17,000 steak meals and have million dollar personal watch collections, they should pay for their own damn store renovations.

Now if they said pony up $2k and we’ll give you a small % of our profits each year...that’s a different story. But just imagine how hard it will be to compete with 1000 other people for their “flash sales” on this exclusive VIP Facebook page.

The whole thing is in poor taste IMO. What do you all think about it? Am I being too critical?

I enjoy the content they put out, but it doesn't necessarily mean I will donate whatever money they want me to; likewise I don't think they're forcing their viewers to do so either.

Poor taste or not? It's subjective. Personally I don't think so, I think they're just trying to utilize the platform they've built to maximize whatever potential it could be. Whoever wants to be a part of their business by paying whatever money is at his own risk/reward.
Old 16 May 2021, 03:53 AM   #565
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: What's on my wrist
Too much of this crap going around; the "lady" who recently got caught taking out Pandemic relief loans in other's names to fund a lavish life style. The former mayor of New Bedford who got caught skimming from potential cannabis sellers and getting kick backs from employees (again to pay for an over the top life style). Simply say "no;" if they can't manage it on their own then they can't manage it.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=808599
Old 16 May 2021, 04:09 AM   #566
jerryguo
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, PP, Lange
yes it’s a very big turn off for me, i enjoy their show but this doesn’t make much sense to me

Old 16 May 2021, 04:21 AM   #567
lewahooligan
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710LN
Yeah...no.

I've watched a few of their videos. While they are definitely entertaining, I've seen enough behind the curtain that I never want to invest in a grey market watch dealer no matter the investment structure.
Old 16 May 2021, 04:54 AM   #568
brucethemanlee
"TRF" Member

its always easy to make money with everything is going up and huge demand

let's see if they're still around when the economy tanks (which it will eventually...just part of the business cycle)... prices flatten/soften and demand is less. Then he's competing against every other dealer.
Old 16 May 2021, 05:27 AM   #569
rolexjackson
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sub, GMT, Daytona
This guy is a complete tool, I had not heard that he was doing this I am removing and blocking all of his crap moving forward

Old 16 May 2021, 05:31 AM   #570
Kliminator
2024 Pledge Member

Timepiece Gentleman “fundraiser”

This has also been discussed here in the general discussion section:

Day in the life of a watch dealer.
https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/top...ink_source=app

I agree with your sentiment.
Closed Thread