The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 9 April 2024, 11:32 PM   #1
JSol1
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

5396 Question

Perhaps someone can help me with this. I’ve been interested in the 5396R for awhile now and was quite disappointed when it disappeared from the catalogue when Patek delisted pieces a couple of months ago.
It seems like they reintroduced the same piece unless I’m missing something?

Now it seems to be back along with the new Blue dial/baguette release.
It doesn’t look like they upgraded the movement and as much as I like that blue, I’m not interested in diamond hour markers.

Wondering if anyone could offer some insight here?
Also would be interested from owners of the 5396 in any variation on their thoughts on the piece?

Thanks for any feedback!
JSol1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 April 2024, 01:47 AM   #2
Vasco
"TRF" Member

Hi,

Indeed, it's the same 5396 model. If they change something (case shape, case size), they usually change the reference number too. They don't change when it's a dial evolution or when a caliber spec is replaced by the next one (like from the 324 to the 26-330 a few years ago). As a side note, I remember the 5396R and diamond-set 5396R were launched with the 324. I don't know if they got updated down the road or if this new G version is the first one to receive the 26-330.

They often discontinue existing references but that doesn't mean they will definitely stop the model. They also discontinued the 5980 but they brought back the 5980 this year in another version.

The only 5960 available are 2 diamond-set versions now. Maybe they'll add another one in the future, maybe not.

The previous diamond-set 5396 versions was in rose gold, they seem to have replaced it with the G version, alone.

With Patek, you never know. It could be the end of non-set versions but they also can decide to re-introduce a different dial in the next years depending on the demand from clients.
Vasco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 April 2024, 02:40 AM   #3
JSol1
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Thanks for this information. I’m just confused because it seems the 5936R was in the ‘23 catalogue, then dropped in February and now appears again on the website without any apparent changes.
I’m going to visit my AD tomorrow to see if they can provide insight or if I’m missing something…
JSol1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 April 2024, 03:07 AM   #4
Vasco
"TRF" Member

I can't remember about the 5396R silver dial but it seems that they discontinued the blue dial version announced a few months ago.

In 2019 they discontinued both the G and R "anniversary" versions (breguet numerals).
Vasco is offline   Reply With Quote