The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 12 November 2018, 12:22 PM   #1
hunthearin
"TRF" Member

Icon13 AD Politics

Feeling pretty irritated with AD politics at the moment. Back in June, I filled out an order for a Sea Dweller 43 with the AD in Nashville. I purchased my wife's engagement ring and our wedding bands at this store. They refused to take my offer for a deposit because it was "not Rolex policy," but promised to call when one came in. I told him that I was in the process of relocating to Florida, and he told me that it would be no problem to handle business over the phone after I moved.

Lo and behold, I got "the call" a day after I moved to Florida. The Nashville AD no longer wanted to do business over the phone and was unwilling to accept a bank wire and ship, despite having discussed this exact scenario. My local AD in Orlando practically laughed at me when I asked to put in an order for one this afternoon, telling me I'd "maybe have one in 2-3 years." The woman was not more than 25, and was wearing a 116500LN on her wrist. Can I believe anything that comes from the AD's mouth? Are these jewelers interested in doing business with regular customers, or only grey market dealers and those who are willing to purchase a DJ or TT model to supplement what they're really after?
Old 12 November 2018, 12:25 PM   #2
ltmgeller
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex
I've been hearing the "buy a few pm pieces and you're almost guaranteed a ss sports model" line from2 of my local AD's.
Old 12 November 2018, 01:46 PM   #3
calh22a
Banned

I think it would have been the easiest to just have your original AD take your card info to hold the watch and fly back to buy it. I understand your point that they should have honored what they originally told you, but in this current sellers climate, you have to play by the ADs rules. Unfortunately.
calh22a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 November 2018, 01:51 PM   #4
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

If your in FL, just get the SD43 from DavidSW and be done with it. He has three of them now in stock.
Mystro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 November 2018, 02:01 PM   #5
Brian Page
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystro View Post
If your in FL, just get the SD43 from DavidSW and be done with it. He has three of them now in stock.
This....
Brian Page is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 November 2018, 02:10 PM   #6
2024 Pledge Member

Fly or drive back to Nashville, buy the watch, enjoy the watch and remember the journey.
037 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 November 2018, 02:23 PM   #7
Speed
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystro View Post
Ding, ding, ding.
Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 November 2018, 04:16 PM   #8
No SUBctitute
"TRF" Member

The DavidSW price is only $800 more than the Nashville price with tax. See what you can work out.

Or, since the Nashville AD doesn't have to collect $1,000 in sales tax from you now, offer to buy some crappy $100 earrings from him for $500, in conjunction with the watch sale. Win-win.
No SUBctitute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 November 2018, 04:36 PM   #9
hunthearin
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by calh22a View Post
I think it would have been the easiest to just have your original AD take your card info to hold the watch and fly back to buy it. I understand your point that they should have honored what they originally told you, but in this current sellers climate, you have to play by the ADs rules. Unfortunately.
That's the thing - they wouldn't even take a card over the phone to hold the watch. My options were to come in immediately and purchase the watch, or let it go. I'm happy to wait patiently for months until a watch arrives with an AD's allotment, but if they continually change "the rules," what incentive do I have to even put my name on a list at all? I'm not a new customer, and the salesperson was informed when I signed their "order form" that I was in the process of relocating for work.

I've purchased 2 Rolex and a Cartier from gray dealers and have had no-nonsense experiences each time. My Submariner LVc came from an AD, and the service I received there seems to be the exception to the rule. I walked in, they happened to have received the watch the day prior, and they sold it to me without asking me to buy a Datejust for my wife. Granted, they kept the warranty card for 2 months.

Seeing as I waited 5 months and was denied the "privilege" to purchase from this AD, whom I've already put over $20k through, I have no problem sourcing a SD43 from a gray. I probably should have done so in June. When you factor in the drama and politics that the AD's bring into play with obtaining a "rare model," the 10% markup on the SD seems worth my while.
Old 12 November 2018, 05:26 PM   #10
JacksonStone
Banned

That's depressing. I genuinely sympathize, and totally understand your frustration. If you do go with a gray, I'll repeat advice I've offered elsewhere: take it to the AD that laughed in your face for the bracelet adjustment. When they ask if you bought it from them, it will be your turn to laugh while you "make it rain" with $30 in singles to cover the sizing fee.
JacksonStone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 November 2018, 05:51 PM   #11
No SUBctitute
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonStone View Post
That's depressing. I genuinely sympathize, and totally understand your frustration. If you do go with a gray, I'll repeat advice I've offered elsewhere: take it to the AD that laughed in your face for the bracelet adjustment. When they ask if you bought it from them, it will be your turn to laugh while you "make it rain" with $30 in singles to cover the sizing fee.
Haven't you read the "Is it safe to have your Rolex sized at an AD?" threads?

It is NOT safe!
Old 12 November 2018, 05:55 PM   #12
JacksonStone
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by No SUBctitute View Post
Haven't you read the "Is it safe to have your Rolex sized at an AD?" threads?

It is NOT safe!
It's safer than when I do it, at least until the Loctite is broken.
Old 12 November 2018, 07:55 PM   #13
Brew
"TRF" Member

I guess the AD preferred to make the watch available to another customer with whom he was more likely to have a continuing relationship.
Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 November 2018, 08:01 PM   #14
airchitect
"TRF" Member

Watch: A few.....
First off, King’s is a less than wondrous AD. Second, the shortage has them all acting like idiots. Buy anything/everything that isn’t a Rolex right now and save your nickles so you can buy whatever u like after the inevitable bust.
airchitect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 November 2018, 08:18 PM   #15
JacksonStone
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by airchitect View Post
First off, King’s is a less than wondrous AD. Second, the shortage has them all acting like idiots. Buy anything/everything that isn’t a Rolex right now and save your nickles so you can buy whatever u like after the inevitable bust.
Sound advice.
Old 12 November 2018, 08:41 PM   #16
Defiancekofb
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunthearin View Post
That's the thing - they wouldn't even take a card over the phone to hold the watch. My options were to come in immediately and purchase the watch, or let it go. I'm happy to wait patiently for months until a watch arrives with an AD's allotment, but if they continually change "the rules," what incentive do I have to even put my name on a list at all? I'm not a new customer, and the salesperson was informed when I signed their "order form" that I was in the process of relocating for work.

I've purchased 2 Rolex and a Cartier from gray dealers and have had no-nonsense experiences each time. My Submariner LVc came from an AD, and the service I received there seems to be the exception to the rule. I walked in, they happened to have received the watch the day prior, and they sold it to me without asking me to buy a Datejust for my wife. Granted, they kept the warranty card for 2 months.

Seeing as I waited 5 months and was denied the "privilege" to purchase from this AD, whom I've already put over $20k through, I have no problem sourcing a SD43 from a gray. I probably should have done so in June. When you factor in the drama and politics that the AD's bring into play with obtaining a "rare model," the 10% markup on the SD seems worth my while.
AD already has a buyer, and wants you to decline the watch, so they can make their commission right now.
Defiancekofb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 November 2018, 10:24 PM   #17
Abdullah71601
Banned

Watch: ing da Bears
SD's are showing up in ADs these days. My AD had one sit in the case for a while. He said the craze is over and they're getting hard to move. Call around. For the premium David and Than will be making you pay for one of theirs, you can afford to travel to whoever has the watch.
Abdullah71601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 November 2018, 12:23 AM   #18
1William
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
If you are in Orlando just drive over to DavidSW's store and introduce yourself. Look around, try the SD43 on and some other unique watches and work a deal. Get your watch and wear it and enjoy. I start with the TS on TRF and move out depending on the watch and the price. I don't even talk Rolex with my AD as they are in the same position as most others. I will talk Tudor, Tag and Panerai with them. Good luck on the hunt for the SD43. It maybe my favorite Rolex diver ever.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20181104_105705 (002).jpg (212.7 KB, 289 views)
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 November 2018, 03:16 PM   #19
No SUBctitute
"TRF" Member

Quote:
It's safer than when I do it, at least until the Loctite is broken.
Haha. TRF has scared the pants off me on this topic!
Old 13 November 2018, 07:58 PM   #20
Rashid.bk
"TRF" Member

Watch: 12800ft = 3900m
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brew View Post
I guess the AD preferred to make the watch available to another customer with whom he was more likely to have a continuing relationship.
This is exactly the case I would bet. He just wanted to sell it to another customer that was available "now" and would likely continue to buy. He only called you to give you first right of refusal really.
Gave you options that you most certainly couldn't agree to....you're not the first..
"We could only hold it for an hour, no prepayment or shipping"
"We're calling you to let you know it's in but first come first serve"(knowing the customer is at work three hours away)

The SD43 is priced reasonably by grey dealers and I wouldn't mind paying the small premium then taking it to get sized at my local AD to rub it in their face as Jackson suggested. I have one Rolex to buy and I'm not sure I'll ever buy another. Buying a Rolex has turned into an unpleasant experience for the most part.
Rashid.bk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 November 2018, 03:17 AM   #21
Fleetlord
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abdullah71601 View Post
SD's are showing up in ADs these days. My AD had one sit in the case for a while. He said the craze is over and they're getting hard to move. Call around. For the premium David and Than will be making you pay for one of theirs, you can afford to travel to whoever has the watch.
Yes, of all the stainless sports references, the SD43 is not all that hard to find.

SD just lag behind. You see that even in 5 digit models. Prices on SD are not as much as subs...

What does all that mean?

Hit up some smaller dealers in CFL. Ocala, Daytona, Melbourne, Vero Beach..chances are favorable to get one.

Or buy from DSW..

The store in which you made the inquiry is just too busy to bother with lists and the such, especially from new customers. That watch is for established people. Datejusts are for walk-ins. I understand this might be offensive, but it's just how it is at the moment.
Fleetlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 November 2018, 06:14 AM   #22
hunthearin
"TRF" Member

Paid a visit to DSW yesterday. I tried on the SD43 and a SS BLRO. Excellent service from their sales reps. I am finding that there is tremendous value in being able to handle all of these watches in person for direct comparison, rather than looking at pictures and reviews online. They will definitely have my business!
Old 14 November 2018, 06:38 AM   #23
JacksonStone
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunthearin View Post
Paid a visit to DSW yesterday. I tried on the SD43 and a SS BLRO. Excellent service from their sales reps. I am finding that there is tremendous value in being able to handle all of these watches in person for direct comparison, rather than looking at pictures and reviews online. They will definitely have my business!
I'm jealous. The best I could do on the SD43 was being told by my AD they have no idea when they will get one in, and an offer to take my information to tell me if and when they do. At that point, I would have to purchase it sight unseen over the phone for them to hold it so I can come in to see it, although they would be willing to refund the purchase if I didn't like it. That was a couple months ago.
Old 14 November 2018, 07:48 AM   #24
hunthearin
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I'm jealous. The best I could do on the SD43 was being told by my AD they have no idea when they will get one in, and an offer to take my information to tell me if and when they do. At that point, I would have to purchase it sight unseen over the phone for them to hold it so I can come in to see it, although they would be willing to refund the purchase if I didn't like it. That was a couple months ago.
It was a blessing and a curse, in a way. It was the first occasion I had an extended period of time to wear the SD43, and I think the size of it would take some getting used to. My Submariner wears so comfortably in comparison. Choices, choices....