The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 13 November 2018, 11:03 AM   #1
David5807
"TRF" Member

Icon5 Help with future purchase.

Hi Everyone,

Over the past few days, I've seen a few threads pop up on the forum about peoples recent acquisitions of the Rolex Daytona on an Oysterflex bracelet. Seeing these threads got me thinking about how well do these pieces hold their value? I ask because I'm considering buying one in the near future and just want to know if they hold value well or tank hard.
David5807 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 November 2018, 11:14 AM   #2
Nikrnic
"TRF" Member

Watch: Blnr, Expll, Subs,
I assume you mean the WG version. No expertise' here but l would think they would hold their value well, as any Daytona. Tank hard, I sincerely doubt that.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Nikrnic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 November 2018, 11:16 AM   #3
huncho
2024 Pledge Member

they're holding their value well right now, especially the WG silver dial
huncho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 November 2018, 11:18 AM   #4
rmlovett1
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: YTBD
I’d say as of now they’re holding their value well, especially the WG model. Although gorgeous, the YG is not as fast of a mover. Going off WG or YG Daytona history....they will hold value at a certain level, just because they’re PM. But buy it at MSRP, and more than likely you’ll take a decent loss if you trade or sell.
BUT....this model is too new to say with certainty.
My .02
rmlovett1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13 November 2018, 12:19 PM   #5
ltmgeller
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex
It shouldn't matter what it will be worth, rather it should only matter what its worth to you?
Old 13 November 2018, 12:26 PM   #6
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltmgeller View Post
It shouldn't matter what it will be worth, rather it should only matter what its worth to you?
^^^ beat me to it.
Mystro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13 November 2018, 01:26 PM   #7
David5807
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikrnic View Post
I assume you mean the WG version. No expertise' here but l would think they would hold their value well, as any Daytona. Tank hard, I sincerely doubt that.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
I'm actually interested in the YG version but thank you for your response, its reassuring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richris1 View Post
I’d say as of now they’re holding their value well, especially the WG model. Although gorgeous, the YG is not as fast of a mover. Going off WG or YG Daytona history....they will hold value at a certain level, just because they’re PM. But buy it at MSRP, and more than likely you’ll take a decent loss if you trade or sell.
My .02
Great insight, thank you for your response.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltmgeller View Post
You're right but I'm making the assumption that somewhere down the road I may trade this in and that is why I care about resale value.
Old 13 November 2018, 01:35 PM   #8
Drive
"TRF" Member

Watch: Wife has way more
I only have one watch I will probably have forever, a 16610 V serial. Last of the old style. Everything else I expect to trade or sell at some point. I understand your question about resale value as I always consider that when purchasing a watch. I expect it to always cost me something to own a watch but always want to know how hard it will be to get rid of when I decide to move on.
Drive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 November 2018, 01:54 PM   #9
David5807
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drive View Post
I only have one watch I will probably have forever, a 16610 V serial. Last of the old style. Everything else I expect to trade or sell at some point. I understand your question about resale value as I always consider that when purchasing a watch. I expect it to always cost me something to own a watch but always want to know how hard it will be to get rid of when I decide to move on.
Well said, I share your feelings
Old 13 November 2018, 11:57 PM   #10
watchwatcher
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richris1 View Post
My .02
Very true. Especially the last sentence.

I've followed the pricing on the OF model, particularly the WG model, with some amazement at how much less of a discount to MSRP it's selling than the full bracelet models. Wow. In other words, a little sliver of ceramic and some rubber is almost the same money as an 18k bracelet and bezel. (I think I just channeled my inner curmudgeon when I said that. )

Will this keep up? It boggles the mind to think so, but, heck, I just don't know.
watchwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 November 2018, 12:30 AM   #11
macrowatch
"TRF" Member

My guess is that value of the SS Daytona C don't hold up in an economic downtown with risks of getting back close to MSRP like in the last downturn, which would mean the 'spread' between the WG with strap vs SS will be much more comparable vs past models of 116519 vs 116520 of about 5-7k possible drop in value.

That all said, having recently picked up a 116519LN, I must confess that while excited before the purchase, I actually find the 116500LN white dial with OysterFlex to be the better looking watch. Maybe it's my aging eyes, but in low light the silver dial is hard to read, and in natural light, the white dial just 'pops' more still. Only in very, very sunny conditions do I feel the silver dials pops. Of course, just my individual opinion. But I'll probably be voting with my money and getting a second 116500LN white dial just to keep permanently on OF.
macrowatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 November 2018, 02:19 AM   #12
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Factor in a 20% loss to sell to a grey in one year's time if the market hasn't changed hugely. In previous days this would have been 40-50% but with a good retail discount.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote