The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 10 November 2018, 03:51 PM   #1
teabags001
Banned

Watch: DD40, hulk, Dayton
Oyster perpetual date vs datejust

Am I missing something here? Other then the bracelet what would be the biggest difference in buying these 2 models? If I wanted a 39mm oyster band smooth bezel without the pcls for thousands less then the DJ what would stop me? I know fluted and jubilee but for this point let’s compare it to the DJ41 smooth and oyster for considerably less money. Am I missing something? I honestly didn’t even know a oyster perpetual can come with a date. I always thought It was more of an entry level watch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
teabags001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 November 2018, 06:18 PM   #2
hhtwaijri
"TRF" Member

The oyster perpetual does not have a date, that the main difference...

The DJ has polished steel oyster bracelet, while the OP has brushed steel (better looking IMO).

The DJ has a wider and flatter bezel, while the OP has a slight thinner and domed bell.

I would personally go with OP.

hhtwaijri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 November 2018, 06:29 PM   #3
teabags001
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by hhtwaijri View Post
The oyster perpetual does not have a date, that the main difference...

The DJ has polished steel oyster bracelet, while the OP has brushed steel (better looking IMO).

The DJ has a wider and flatter bezel, while the OP has a slight thinner and domed bell.

I would personally go with OP.

I thought that too but it seems as though they are putting dates on some oyster perpetuals? I’m confused and not sure one is worth 3k more then the other?

Old 10 November 2018, 07:05 PM   #4
teabags001
Banned

After doing a little research I think the biggest oyster with date they make is 34mm? Do they make a 39mm with date?

Old 10 November 2018, 08:47 PM   #5
rootbeer7
"TRF" Member

Oyster Perpetual Date 34mm. Datejust 28, 31, 36 and now 41 I think.
Old 11 November 2018, 03:11 AM   #6
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Quote:
Originally Posted by teabags001 View Post
Am I missing something here? Other then the bracelet what would be the biggest difference in buying these 2 models? If I wanted a 39mm oyster band smooth bezel without the pcls for thousands less then the DJ what would stop me?. . .
Nothing stops you. The Datejust offers more options and dials, more than any other model.
Old 11 November 2018, 04:54 AM   #7
teabags001
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tools View Post
Nothing stops you. The Datejust offers more options and dials, more than any other model.

I didn’t know the 39 didn’t come with a date. And the DJ41 being a 39.5 watch. If I was looking for a smooth with oyster band and date why wouldn’t you go with the OP date over the datejust. But the biggest OP with date is 34mm. Now get your wife the OP over the DJ36 and save 3k. And it will for her better if she has smaller wrist. ;)

Old 11 November 2018, 04:54 AM   #8
dubins930
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

OP date is 34mm... DJ is 36 or 41.... if you can rock a 34mm I would take an OP date for sure
dubins930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 November 2018, 01:56 PM   #9
mmmmp
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Wimbledon DJ41
Some great info here.

IMO - the 34mm OP Date is too small. I've tried it on and it doesn't work for me. The 39mm is okay, but a little plain. I really liked the DJ41 which is the nicest Rolex I've ever owned. (I've had about 5 over the last 30 years.)

Go try em all on, compare and even go back a few times to be sure. You'll find the one that sings to you, price not withstanding.

Good luck,
Mark

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk
mmmmp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 November 2018, 04:51 PM   #10
teabags001
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmmp View Post
Some great info here.

IMO - the 34mm OP Date is too small. I've tried it on and it doesn't work for me. The 39mm is okay, but a little plain. I really liked the DJ41 which is the nicest Rolex I've ever owned. (I've had about 5 over the last 30 years.)

Go try em all on, compare and even go back a few times to be sure. You'll find the one that sings to you, price not withstanding.

Good luck,
Mark

Thanks. I was just curious about the OP date because I am a DJ fan. Couldn’t see a reason to buy a DJ smooth oyster if you could get the OP date and save a few grand. But Being the biggest size is a 34 I guess they realized if they made a 39mm OP date it would eat into the DJ sales. That being said I bought the DJ41 black fluted jubilee with sticks. I loved it. It just wore too small for me as a every day watch. Not a huge Sports model fan. I flipped it for a DJ ll diamond dial rhodium oyster and couldn’t be happier. If the DJ41 wore just a little bigger I would have kept it forever.

Old 13 November 2018, 08:41 AM   #11
mmmmp
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Wimbledon DJ41
Quote:
Thanks. I was just curious about the OP date because I am a DJ fan. Couldn’t see a reason to buy a DJ smooth oyster if you could get the OP date and save a few grand. But Being the biggest size is a 34 I guess they realized if they made a 39mm OP date it would eat into the DJ sales. That being said I bought the DJ41 black fluted jubilee with sticks. I loved it. It just wore too small for me as a every day watch. Not a huge Sports model fan. I flipped it for a DJ ll diamond dial rhodium oyster and couldn’t be happier. If the DJ41 wore just a little bigger I would have kept it forever.

Sounds like you made a sensible, and very cool purchase. The DJ41 and the DJII are both beautiful pieces, I'm sure you'll enjoy yours for years. As I mentioned, I Can't seem to shut up about my new DJ41, but I scored the Wimbledon dial with fluted / Jubilee and I couldn't be happier. The new movement and better regulation keeps mine running at a solid -1 per day. Add in the easy-link clasp and 'super' (solid link) Jubilee and I'll say Rolex came up with a winner. A decent price, no waiting lists makes me happy to be a DJ fan. (I've tried, but as nice as the Subs, GMT's are, I'm also not a sports/tool watch guy.)

Wear your watch in good health.
Mark.

mmmmp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 November 2018, 08:59 AM   #12
JacksonStone
Banned

Call me crazy, but I'm going to go out on a limb and say the seller who posted that as an "oyseter perpetual" got the size wrong. Is there a model number associated with that screen cap? As far as I am aware, the OP Dates stop at 34mm, and are actually listed on the Rolex website under the DJ line. The stand-alone OPs are non-date designs.

Quote:
JacksonStone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 November 2018, 09:29 AM   #13
teabags001
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonStone View Post
Call me crazy, but I'm going to go out on a limb and say the seller who posted that as an "oyseter perpetual" got the size wrong. Is there a model number associated with that screen cap? As far as I am aware, the OP Dates stop at 34mm, and are actually listed on the Rolex website under the DJ line. The stand-alone OPs are non-date designs.

I agree with you. I think this is a 34mm and the person posted it as a 39mm which got me confused.

Old 13 November 2018, 09:45 AM   #14
teabags001
Banned

Quote:

I agree that the DJ41 is the better watch. And I wanted to love it. But it just wore too small for my wrist. The DJll fits better. Is heavier I love the bigger bezel. Knowing all that I still bought the DJ41. Just didn’t wear like I wanted it too. So at the end of the day I gave the DJll a chance and it’s perfect for me. I almost got the DJll Wimbledon 2 tone. But decided on the stainless diamond dial. Wasn’t a fan of the Battons being so fat. So romans or diamond dial for me. I can tell you with the larger bezel the diamond dial really pops. Wouldn’t get diamonds on the DJ41 as the battons on that model are very nice.

Old 13 November 2018, 09:55 AM   #15
JacksonStone
Banned

That diamond rhodium DJII is an awesome model. It's the one DJII model that I thought hung together proportionally. I think I would prefer that to the equivalent model in the DJ41. With stick indexes, though, it's DJ41 all the way.
JacksonStone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 November 2018, 10:02 AM   #16
sillo
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5 Digit
115200 is the reference. It's 34mm with a 19mm bracelet.

@TheGMTHand
sillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 November 2018, 12:38 PM   #17
watchguy14
"TRF" Member

Correct - it is 34mm. Here's my silver one. Sort of halfway between an OP and a DJ, with the size of the OP34 but look and feel of a smooth-bezel Datejust.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20180729_144233.jpg (59.8 KB, 616 views)
watchguy14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 November 2018, 02:59 PM   #18
teabags001
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by watchguy14 View Post
Correct - it is 34mm. Here's my silver one. Sort of halfway between an OP and a DJ, with the size of the OP34 but look and feel of a smooth-bezel Datejust.

Awesome watch. If I had the wrist I would definitely get the one you have. Wear in good health.

Old 13 November 2018, 03:02 PM   #19
teabags001
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonStone View Post
That diamond rhodium DJII is an awesome model. It's the one DJII model that I thought hung together proportionally. I think I would prefer that to the equivalent model in the DJ41. With stick indexes, though, it's DJ41 all the way.

I love the rhodium stick dial with fluted and jubilee. Or oyster with smooth. Actually it’s the only DJ I like with smooth and jubilee. To me that’s my favorite Rolex DJ. But since I can’t wear it since it wears small on my wrist I went with the rhodium diamond DJll which is my favorite DJll. I envy those who can pull off the DJ41. Who knew just a couple of mm would make such a difference. That and I love the bigger fluted bezel.

Old 13 November 2018, 03:06 PM   #20
teabags001
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sillo38 View Post
115200 is the reference. It's 34mm with a 19mm bracelet.

That is a good looking watch. I prefer it to the DJ36 to be honest knowing I saved a few grand. Those with smaller wrist have all the fun in the watch world. 34-40mm would be better then my 41-43 preference.

Old 13 November 2018, 03:27 PM   #21
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: What's on my wrist
Quote:
Am I missing something here? Other then the bracelet what would be the biggest difference in buying these 2 models? If I wanted a 39mm oyster band smooth bezel without the pcls for thousands less then the DJ what would stop me? I know fluted and jubilee but for this point let’s compare it to the DJ41 smooth and oyster for considerably less money. Am I missing something? I honestly didn’t even know a oyster perpetual can come with a date. I always thought It was more of an entry level watch.

The only watch under the Oyster Perpetual moniker with a date is the 34mm Date. Strange it's not considered a DJ. FWIW, the DJ41 is actually 39.5mm/

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=808599
HogwldFLTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 November 2018, 04:00 PM   #22
teabags001
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by HogwldFLTR View Post
The only watch under the Oyster Perpetual moniker with a date is the 34mm Date. Strange it's not considered a DJ. FWIW, the DJ41 is actually 39.5mm/

Yeah. I tried the DJ41 but most of the people on this forum said it looked like a 36mm on my wrist. So if a 39.5 wears small there is no way I could pull off a 34mm watch. But I think it looks amazing. The DJll (41.2mm) fits me like a glove.

Old 14 November 2018, 01:53 AM   #23
sillo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
That is a good looking watch. I prefer it to the DJ36 to be honest knowing I saved a few grand. Those with smaller wrist have all the fun in the watch world. 34-40mm would be better then my 41-43 preference.

Yeah too small for me... it's my girlfriend's lol. But it's a beautiful watch either way and does wear a little larger than your typical 34mm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HogwldFLTR View Post
Strange it's not considered a DJ.
Think this goes back to when 34mm was still a mans watch. So this was considered the cheaper alternative to the DJ, but they didn't want to give it the DJ name to encourage people to buy the more expensive one. That's my guess at least.

@TheGMTHand
Old 14 November 2018, 04:35 AM   #24
teabags001
Banned

Quote:
Yeah too small for me... it's my girlfriend's lol. But it's a beautiful watch either way and does wear a little larger than your typical 34mm.

Think this goes back to when 34mm was still a mans watch. So this was considered the cheaper alternative to the DJ, but they didn't want to give it the DJ name to encourage people to buy the more expensive one. That's my guess at least.

I wonder if they made the OP 39 date how much would that cut into the DJ41 sales? I prefer the domed bezel over the smooth as well.

Old 14 November 2018, 04:50 AM   #25
sillo
"TRF" Member

I believe you can get a DJ41 with the smooth bezel.

@TheGMTHand
Old 14 November 2018, 07:15 AM   #26
teabags001
Banned

Quote:
I believe you can get a DJ41 with the smooth bezel.

Smooth but not domed. Domed looks better imo.

Old 27 November 2018, 12:55 AM   #27
Newrolexguy
"TRF" Member

When did production stop for the 34mm date?
Newrolexguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 November 2018, 01:51 AM   #28
sillo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newrolexguy View Post
When did production stop for the 34mm date?
It didn't, you can still get it.

https://www.rolex.com/watches/dateju...5200-0007.html

@TheGMTHand