"TRF" Member

Watch: my signature
yes, i would agree Rolex is like a Benz in the car world~~~
Old 12 November 2018, 03:58 PM   #62
fewwords
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by liu_watch View Post
Car analogy is always tough. My opinion? Rolex = Lexus. Reliable, but not very aesthetically refined. Retains value, aiming at masses.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Underrated comparison.
Old 12 November 2018, 05:28 PM   #63
troways
"TRF" Member

Rolex = Toyota with good resell value.
Old 12 November 2018, 05:33 PM   #64
Singslinger
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by liu_watch View Post
Car analogy is always tough. My opinion? Rolex = Lexus. Reliable, but not very aesthetically refined. Retains value, aiming at masses.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I was thinking exactly the same thing!
Old 12 November 2018, 05:51 PM   #65
glamorama
"TRF" Member

If Rolex is Lexus, what is Grand Seiko then?

Someone wrote a good comparison to MB which makes total sense, that it can be used for status or reliability in any environment. Parallels can also be made to BMW, perhaps Rolex is appealing to a younger audience lately and cerachrom feels very 'performance'.

But best comparison imao is the Submariner and Porsche 911. I always thought of the sub as a 911, luxury that is attainable for many if you work hard and do the right things, both iconic designs, any generation is cool and have their own quirks, retains value over long term etc.
Old 12 November 2018, 06:25 PM   #66
vakman
"TRF" Member

Watch: The watch.!
Rolex Porsche
AP Bentley
PP Rolls Royce
Old 12 November 2018, 06:32 PM   #67
unknown
"TRF" Member

stopped reading this after

'Is Omega a BMW because it tries but can never get the same level as Rolex/MB.'

Like Mercedes is better than BMW

its just a matter of taste both are equal
just like Rolex and Omega are probably equal too
Old 12 November 2018, 06:54 PM   #68
Rashid.bk
"TRF" Member

Watch: 12800ft = 3900m
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahlee00023 View Post
I think most will agree that Rolex is the Mercedes Benz of watches, or vice versa. Brand recognition, global appeal, and fairly easy accessibility are very similar. They are what people call "Mainstream Luxury". But what about other watch brands? Is Omega a BMW because it tries but can never get the same level as Rolex/MB. Is AP a Porsche since their designs are so unique and instantly recognizeble? PP = Aston Martin? Just for fun... Give me your thoughts. Btw.. Grand Seiko is definitely a Lexus.. so obvious there. But what about IWC, VC, A Lange, Cartier?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Rolex is Porsche in recognizability. Every and anyone who sees a Rolex from three feet away know exactly what it is. Rolex designs have changed less than Porsche even. Even people who don't like cars sees a 911 or 918 or Panamera know it's a Porsche and every single person who lives in a first to even third world know what a Rolex is.
Mercedes Benz is probably Omega....
AP is Lamborghini
RM is Pagani
etc
Old 12 November 2018, 07:20 PM   #69
DP63
"TRF" Member

Watch: 18078
Quote:
Originally Posted by DasKptl View Post
Nah, Panerai is Maserati:

(1) They both are Italian;
(2) Cool design;
(2) Questionable engineering and reliability;
(3) Resale values suck.

Bingo.

As someone who has recently sold a PAM, I can vouch for all of the above.

Probably the noisiest automatic self winding watch I have ever owned, sounded rough as though it needed lubrication, but was assured that it was fine by the dealer when put in to be checked. In comparison, all of my Rolex have never sounded like the rotor was ran on the cheapest bearing in creation. My PAM also gained 3 to 5 minutes a week, even after adjustment of their inhouse 9000 series movement.

As for resale .... I lost a chunk of change with that watch, never again.

Apart form the Italian side of the comparison, I'd call the PAM a Range Rover.

Big, chunky, very impressive to friends and family that you have one, high initial purchase price that drops in value around 60% within 3 years which coincides with the rough mechanic's being brought to light as you pay through the nose to have it fixed.
Old 12 November 2018, 07:25 PM   #70
JacksonStone
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DP63 View Post
Probably the noisiest automatic self winding watch I have ever owned, sounded rough as though it needed lubrication, but was assured that it was fine by the dealer when put in to be checked. In comparison, all of my Rolex have never sounded like the rotor was ran on the cheapest bearing in creation. My PAM also gained 3 to 5 minutes a week, even after adjustment of their inhouse 9000 series movement.
Yikes. I'm looking at a 722 with the P.9010 movement. I wonder if it's improved any.
Old 12 November 2018, 07:30 PM   #71
uansari1
"TRF" Member

Watch: Polar 16570
Rolex = Toyota

You can beat on them incessantly and they are durable enough to just keep going. Plus they're easy to service.

Mercedes are not reliable and cost a fortune to repair.
Explorer 124270
Omega Seamaster GMT 50th Anniversary
Old 12 November 2018, 07:32 PM   #72
Carrera_2
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710LN
Rolex is like a Lexus, good and reliable and needed very minimum services. Patek is more like a Rolls Royce of watches.
Old 12 November 2018, 07:39 PM   #73
DP63
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonStone View Post
Yikes. I'm looking at a 722 with the P.9010 movement. I wonder if it's improved any.
I loved the look of my PAM, and was actually pleased that it was an inhouse movement, which gave it more credibility as opposed to a "bitsa this and bitsa that" brand in my opinion. But from the moment I picked up on the movement being noisy it lost its lustre with me and I always felt underwhelmed that this so called luxury watch sounded worse than a $100 fashion house automatic. When it regularly gained 3 minutes + per week, it was an easy decision to get rid of it ..... easy decision, not easy in practise, dealers simply dont want them as they sit for a very long time before a buyer pulls the trigger, I lost 40% on my initial purchase price .... had I bought at full retail the loss would have been 55% .... mine was a PAM00347 with the P.9002 movement.
Old 12 November 2018, 08:14 PM   #74
JacksonStone
Banned

Quote:
I loved the look of my PAM, and was actually pleased that it was an inhouse movement, which gave it more credibility as opposed to a "bitsa this and bitsa that" brand in my opinion. But from the moment I picked up on the movement being noisy it lost its lustre with me and I always felt underwhelmed that this so called luxury watch sounded worse than a $100 fashion house automatic. When it regularly gained 3 minutes + per week, it was an easy decision to get rid of it ..... easy decision, not easy in practise, dealers simply dont want them as they sit for a very long time before a buyer pulls the trigger, I lost 40% on my initial purchase price .... had I bought at full retail the loss would have been 55% .... mine was a PAM00347 with the P.9002 movement.
Oof. I found a thread on WUS that echoes a lot of the same sentiments, but it was about the P.9000 and related. Based on the number, I'm assuming the P.9010 has the same base, but it does have a lot of changes, including a full bridge, more jewels, a jump-set hour hand, and is quite a bit thinner. I have no idea how that would translate into improved reliability, if it does at all. Unfortunately, it's such a new movement that I'm not finding a lot of user feedback on it.

I appreciate your input.
Old 12 November 2018, 09:03 PM   #75
robain
"TRF" Member

imo:
Rolex = Porsche
Patek = Rolls Royce
Rm = Bugatti
Ap = Ferrari
Omega = Audi
Iwc = Lexus
Old 12 November 2018, 09:05 PM   #76
Number3
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffnnj View Post
I think performance & quality wise BMW is a far superior car to Mercedes.
Have to agree with this and I’ve had a few of both.
Old 12 November 2018, 11:02 PM   #77
mistercoach32
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonStone View Post
Oof. I found a thread on WUS that echoes a lot of the same sentiments, but it was about the P.9000 and related. Based on the number, I'm assuming the P.9010 has the same base, but it does have a lot of changes, including a full bridge, more jewels, a jump-set hour hand, and is quite a bit thinner. I have no idea how that would translate into improved reliability, if it does at all. Unfortunately, it's such a new movement that I'm not finding a lot of user feedback on it.

I appreciate your input.

Yeah, mine had the P.9011 and was a gigantic disappointment.
Old 12 November 2018, 11:13 PM   #78
pickettt
"TRF" Member

Watch: Shiny One
Too many different criteria to match watches to cars. A Rolex may have the brand recognition of Mercedes, but the resale value of a Honda, and the dependability of.......too many criteria.
Old 13 November 2018, 12:06 AM   #79
1William
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
For me Rolex is like Lexus. #1 on dependability and value for what it is. Tudor would be Toyota and have the same type of value as Lexus and it is the same brand. I have been a MB fan for years and have owned one almost consistently since 1993 but I have seen the brand fall off in quality while increasing costs. Right now I am a Lexus fan and it would take a lot to move to MB or BMW.
Old 13 November 2018, 12:23 AM   #80
codecow
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP 5131R
I'd say Mercedes is more like Glashutte Original:

They're both German

They both make high end pieces but they probably have trouble selling and they take a big depreciation hit

Glashutte Original sponsors automotive events like the Cars & Watches at London City Concours as Mercedes is involved in multiple sponsorships
Old 13 November 2018, 12:28 AM   #81
asiparks
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the Detectives
Quote:
Originally Posted by glamorama View Post
If Rolex is Lexus, what is Grand Seiko then?

Aston Martin, handbuilt and finished to a high standard, very high performance. some quirkiness...
Old 13 November 2018, 12:30 AM   #82
vladamir15
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP, VC, Breguet
For me:

Rolex = mercedes - common, known and luxury
BMW = omega - close to mb but not there
Fp journe = Pagani - fairly rare, independent
PP = ferrari - great brand, History, but a bit dependent on name
AP = Lamborghini- still known like ferrari
Lange = Bugatti - amazing quality and attention to detail
R.W Smuth, Dufour,etc = Rolls - most attention to detail
Breguet = Bentley - great styling, detail and hand work

Audemars, Vacheron, Breguet, Jaquet Droz, JLC, Rolex, Omega, Cartier
Old 13 November 2018, 12:44 AM   #83
GoingPlaces
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fawkesguy View Post
I first saw the Mercedes comparison at the below link. I think it makes sense, the way it is explained there.

http://forums.timezone.com/index.php...81#msg_1350160

....."I wasn't interested in image. In fact it was a negative for Rolex that having one might "say" something about me to others. Ultimately something occurred to me: two people can purchase exactly the same product, for completely different reasons, and both be satisfied. Another automotive analogy- since I've read often here where people attempt to equate Rolex to a manufacturer. Allow me. Rolex is akin to Mercedes Benz. A consumer may know absolutely nothing about automotive engineering. They might buy a Mercedes solely for the three pointed star on the hood. They may buy one for the status or the pop-culture associations. If they do, they can expect to be perfectly happy with their car. No one has ever been embarrassed handing the valet the keys to their Benz. At the same time, the world is full of MB products serving Military roles, as rental-fleet staples or as taxis. Few places in the world, most notably in the underdeveloped world, can one go and not see old Mercedes diesels soldiering on in unglamorous surroundings. Starlet's bling-ride to third world taxi, and good at either? That's a genuine achievement."
Yes, MB like Rolex offers multiple options for different purposes. From the G-Class to the S , SL, E etc.. From function to luxury. Porsche is pretty much one dimensional, all be it arguably the best daily sports car ever. They ventured into SUV's for business purposes only. MB IMO is closest to Rolex. Variety while at the same time able to check all the boxes with their line-up.
Old 13 November 2018, 12:46 AM   #84
GoingPlaces
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vladamir15 View Post
For me:

Not bad, where would you put Greubel Forsey? Some would say that's the top.
Old 13 November 2018, 12:51 AM   #85
Jonesy2099
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vladamir15 View Post
For me:

The mistake with many of these lists is that Rolex's brand recognition in relation to being a luxury watch maker is unparalleled. They are simply in a league of their own.

Most people will not know about the Big Four (AP, PP, VC and AL&S) with reference to Haute Horlogerie. But people will probably know all the cars on that list.
Old 13 November 2018, 01:00 AM   #86
Jonesy2099
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by asiparks View Post
Aston Martin, handbuilt and finished to a high standard, very high performance. some quirkiness...
I disagree, it is accepted that those are the qualities of an Aston Martin. I doubt many people (including some watch enthusiasts realise that Seiko and Grand Seiko have completely different design and watchmaking philosophies). However, if GS got the attention it deserved then you could be right!
Old 13 November 2018, 01:06 AM   #87
vladamir15
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP, VC, Breguet
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoingPlaces View Post
Not bad, where would you put Greubel Forsey? Some would say that's the top.
Probably Koenigsegg - amazing, age defining engines/movements

Both focus heavily on “showcase the important invention/mechanism”

Audemars, Vacheron, Breguet, Jaquet Droz, JLC, Rolex, Omega, Cartier
Old 13 November 2018, 01:09 AM   #88
j-watch
"TRF" Member

Watch: HULK, BLRO, 16523
Quote:
Bingo.

As someone who has recently sold a PAM, I can vouch for all of the above.

As for resale .... I lost a chunk of change with that watch, never again.

Apart form the Italian side of the comparison, I'd call the PAM a Range Rover.

Big, chunky, very impressive to friends and family that you have one, high initial purchase price that drops in value around 60% within 3 years which coincides with the rough mechanic's being brought to light as you pay through the nose to have it fixed.
Well, I just traded my 2014 RRS on a new RRS Supercharged over the weekend. They paid me $36K for my trade, and I paid $73K for the RRS back in 2014. It's 4 1/2 years old, and only depreciated 50% (ok, more like 51%), and it had 44K miles on it. Got a nice discount on the new one to boot.

My 2014 only had to go to the shop once for an unscheduled visit. Bad sensor. The newer RR's and RRS's are fantastic, and do hold their resale value. Maintenance costs are high though, but then again, so are BMW, Porsche, and MB.
Old 13 November 2018, 01:16 AM   #89
rw2008
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex AP Patek
Quote:
Originally Posted by vakman View Post
Rolex Porsche
AP Bentley
PP Rolls Royce
Exactly what I was thinking.
Old 13 November 2018, 01:17 AM   #90
DP63
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by j-watch View Post
Well, I just traded my 2014 RRS on a new RRS Supercharged over the weekend. They paid me $36K for my trade, and I paid $73K for the RRS back in 2014. It's 4 1/2 years old, and only depreciated 50% (ok, more like 51%), and it had 44K miles on it. Got a nice discount on the new one to boot.

My 2014 only had to go to the shop once for an unscheduled visit. Bad sensor. The newer RR's and RRS's are fantastic, and do hold their resale value. Maintenance costs are high though, but then again, so are BMW, Porsche, and MB.
I had starter issues, which drain the battery and leave the car locked in park ... dismantle of the centre consol is required to release the gear select so it could be taken to the dealership .... that blew my mind.

I had coil issues leading to misfires.

and finally, I had an issue with the E Parking brake ... that was the straw that broke the donkeys back for me ... it engaged while barreling down a motorway

Loved it when it was running well ... it could boogie on and hustle with the best of them, air suspension lowered it to the ground over 70mph, it could chew up winter roads and it was the lap of luxury ..... but it was a heart breaker when things went wrong and 60% hurt on my PX.

Then again .... we dont buy vehicles like this and expect free motoring