The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 22 May 2018, 07:33 AM   #1
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y
Tipping...

What do you do when you need a service at a hotel by the bellman, concierge, bathroom attendant or other staff etc. and do not have the denomination of currency you would like to give for a tip?

Any other awkward tipping situations you might share?
Old 22 May 2018, 08:25 AM   #2
austinp
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by subtona View Post
What do you do when you need a service at a hotel by the bellman, concierge, bathroom attendant or other staff etc. and do not have the denomination of currency you would like to give for a tip?

I ask for change if i only have large bills. I was a bellman at hotel and always had lots of small denominations and welcomed a guest breaking a large bill. Its completely fine.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk
austinp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2018, 08:25 AM   #3
imperio
"TRF" Member

Watch: this space
Quote:

If you're out of USD for tipping, chances are you're in a country where tips aren't expected. If you should feel inclined to, then tip in whatever currency you have on hand. It will come as a surprise either way.
Old 22 May 2018, 09:14 AM   #4
dmash
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by austinp View Post
I ask for change if i only have large bills. I was a bellman at hotel and always had lots of small denominations and welcomed a guest breaking a large bill. Its completely fine.

This, I was a bellman/valet parker in my early days too. :

As a side note, if you genuinely have no cash, and want to tip your bellman, etc......practically 99% of the hotels that offer these services will allow you to drop a tip at the front desk. Simply let the bellman know you’re doing so (ask his name) and when you have the funds, they will save it for him at the front in an envelope or something of the nature. Don’t be the guy that says ‘get you later’ and never does so. Even if it comes at the latter end of your stay, do it. When I was 18, a mere extra $5 somedays was a nice surprise.

And if you have ANY intention of returning to the property more than once a year, being respectful/generous will get you a long way. I could remember every single guest that frequented more than once a year, especially if the tips were good. Would fulfill requests or give free shuttle rides that more than offset their tipping scheme. Practically every tip-employee I knew in hospitality was the same way as well.
dmash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2018, 09:17 AM   #5
amg55
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona 116500LN
I was told it's $5 per bag, is that a good guide for tipping at hotels?
amg55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2018, 09:25 AM   #6
austinp
"TRF" Member

$5 per bag is very solid. Any bellman would be stoked to get it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by amg55 View Post
austinp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2018, 09:25 AM   #7
dmash
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by amg55 View Post
I think that’s entirely too much unless you’re dropping $500+ a night wherever you’re staying.

-Bellman: $2-$3 per bag, but $5 minimum. Also, tend to tip more, if you are at a resort that covers a lot of property. There’s a difference between jumping right on an elevator and done with you in 2 minutes, and having to trek a couple minutes over to your villa, etc. The latter, $4-$5 per bag may be called for.
-Valet: $5 in $5 out, unless the lot is 100 ft away, then that’s overkill. Don’t tip one time, more than likely you won’t get the same guy, especially at a large hotel, split it in half and tip twice. Those tips usually aren’t pooled so you screw one guy. *Also, I don’t apply this tipping scheme to restaurants, it’s ridiculous to think I’m handing him $5 for driving the car 10 feet.
Old 22 May 2018, 09:29 AM   #8
joeychitwood
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolexes & Tudors
I once asked a beach captain at a busy resort on the Mayan Riviera if he could keep an eye on our beach gear while we took a walk. I gave him a $20 bill, and we were treated to the best locations on the beach every time we came down to the water. He refused tips every day afterwards, but I happily tipped him generously the day we left. Excellent service.
joeychitwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2018, 09:31 AM   #9
Danny83
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Yellow Gold
Quote:

Looks like they would get stiffed by me... I always carrry 5s and ones now because I use to loose so much $ that way
Danny83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2018, 09:31 AM   #10
dmash
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeychitwood View Post
I once asked a beach captain at a busy resort on the Mayan Riviera if he could keep an eye on our beach gear while we took a walk. I gave him a $20 bill, and we were treated to the best locations on the beach every time we came down to the water. He refused tips every day afterwards, but I happily tipped him generously the day we left. Excellent service.
There’s very few service workers, who if you ‘overly tip’ them....won’t divulge ‘extra’ information and give you advice that they don’t tell the run of the mill patron.
Old 22 May 2018, 10:07 AM   #11
RHIII

Watch: AP/Rolex/PP
Tipping...

As much as the wife and I travel - we’ve learned to carry about $100 in 5s and $200 in 10s — that usually takes care of most of these scenarios.

I’ve always tippped SkyCaps and bellmen 5$/bag...maybe a little more if my wife packed half the closet...drivers, etc...just depends. I tend tip anyone providing me a service - especially when vacationing. Concierge - it kinda depends on what they’re getting for me — if it’s hard to get reservations or on a holiday - I’d definitely tip more. we’ve had some GREAT concierge service over the years in places like New York and Montreal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
RHIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2018, 10:08 AM   #12
Brenngun
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex & Tudor
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeychitwood View Post
My wife and I do this every time when we travel to a beach resort. I search out the cabana boys on the first day, introduce myself and let them know what I'm looking for. If the conversation goes well I'll tip them $50 on the spot. We never have to worry about getting a cabana, lounge pads and extra towels for the rest of the stay. Worth every cent.

Brenngun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2018, 10:27 AM   #13
joeychitwood
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brenngun View Post
My wife and I do this every time when we travel to a beach resort. I search out the cabana boys on the first day, introduce myself and let them know what I'm looking for. If the conversation goes well I'll tip them $50 on the spot. We never have to worry about getting a cabana, lounge pads and extra towels for the rest of the stay. Worth every cent.
I totally agree. If I'm spending a moderate amount of money to lay on a beach for a week, a generous tip to the captain can make a good trip great.
Old 22 May 2018, 10:36 AM   #14
Trailboss516
"TRF" Member

Watch: It's complicated
I don't tip in the situations mentioned above.
Trailboss516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2018, 02:10 PM   #15
amg55
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona 116500LN
Quote:
$5 per bag is very solid. Any bellman would be stoked to get it.

This may explain why he was super polite after I handed him $10 tip for two bags, one of which was a rather large golf bag.
amg55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2018, 03:36 PM   #16
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
If I don’t have the money on me I will tell them I’ll hit them ASAP and I always do. I usually tip people 5 bucks to be honest but we travel light and don’t stay at the ritz.

One time I tipped a car wash towel boy with a winning scratch off ticket lol I had no cash on me. He gladly accepted and laughed.
Old 22 May 2018, 03:41 PM   #17
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RHIII View Post
As much as the wife and I travel - we’ve learned to carry about $100 in 5s and $200 in 10s — that usually takes care of most of these scenarios.

I’ve always tippped SkyCaps and bellmen 5$/bag...maybe a little more if my wife packed half the closet...drivers, etc...just depends. I tend tip anyone providing me a service - especially when vacationing. Concierge - it kinda depends on what they’re getting for me — if it’s hard to get reservations or on a holiday - I’d definitely tip more. we’ve had some GREAT concierge service over the years in places like New York and Montreal.

you must have a George Costanza wallet

current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2018, 03:46 PM   #18
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:

I hate tipping, but i always overtip to avoid feeling awkward. If i've got to see these people for the next few days i feel worse if i feel like i was being cheap so its just easier. I plan ahead and get the proper notes in advance even if it means breaking a larger bill by buying a pack of gum on the way.

Bathroom attendants though, usually i just hold it instead That is a weird one. Do you tip before/after, and does a #2 require more money?? Do you give them the money with clean hands and now you leave the bathroom with dirty hands because money is filthy ... or do you give them money with dirty hands and then wash? It keeps me up at night
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2018, 05:16 PM   #19
gettocard
Banned

Watch: them come and go..
Quote:

I pick up the phone and that's about it. I used to be a good George back in my Vegas days,now I'm as stiff as it gets,except for waiters.
gettocard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2018, 09:38 PM   #20
RHIII

Watch: AP/Rolex/PP
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1980 View Post
you must have a George Costanza wallet

Hahahahhaha. I don’t carry it!!! Some goes in my wife’s wallet - and my billfold as we go out. and we’ll leave the rest in the hotel safe box.

Lol.

RHIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2018, 09:42 PM   #21
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:

In your specific example, most hotels have an ATM with the local currency so it’s easy to remedy.

If no ATM, I ask the front desk for cash and have it added to my room bill.
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2018, 11:00 PM   #22
joeychitwood
"TRF" Member

My daughters depended on tips at jobs while growing up. My oldest worked as a hotel maid one summer, and her stories of room messes were so disgusting that they almost made me gag, and I had worked 20 years as an ER doc! I always tip the hotel maids well, keeping in mind Elizabeth's stories of people leaving 27 cents in pocket change as a tip.
Old 22 May 2018, 11:03 PM   #23
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega
I too ask for change in this situation.

Awkward for me is when I tip (say for a car valet) in the beginning and it appears they expect a tip on the way out too.

IG: gsmotorclub
IG: thesawcollection

(Both mostly just car stuff)
superdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2018, 11:21 PM   #24
dmash
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by superdog View Post
I too ask for change in this situation.

Awkward for me is when I tip (say for a car valet) in the beginning and it appears they expect a tip on the way out too.
I mentioned this earlier, simply split your tip in half. At a lot of valets, the tips are not pooled and you may have two different people...
Old 22 May 2018, 11:26 PM   #25
subtona
"TRF" Member

Thank you for all the replies,
Really appreciating these experiences, keep them coming

Having a roll of $5s in your pocket would be ideal.

Ps The tipping scene in "reservoir dogs" is legendary.
Old 22 May 2018, 11:33 PM   #26
subtona
"TRF" Member

Quote:

I agree it would be in the service persons best interest to have change.

My common experience with delivery guys is when I ask for change they too often seem to almost have enough, creating a situation of too much or nothing.
Old 23 May 2018, 01:29 AM   #27
mtrunner
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 126508 Paul Newman
Quote:
I hate tipping, but i always overtip to avoid feeling awkward. If i've got to see these people for the next few days i feel worse if i feel like i was being cheap so its just easier. I plan ahead and get the proper notes in advance even if it means breaking a larger bill by buying a pack of gum on the way.

Bathroom attendants though, usually i just hold it instead That is a weird one. Do you tip before/after, and does a #2 require more money?? Do you give them the money with clean hands and now you leave the bathroom with dirty hands because money is filthy ... or do you give them money with dirty hands and then wash? It keeps me up at night
You and me both. I hate bathroom attendants and never understood why certain establishments have bathroom attendants. It's awkward and weird and completely unnecessary.
mtrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2018, 02:26 AM   #28
imperio
"TRF" Member

Watch: this space
Quote: