The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 8 April 2013, 03:35 AM   #1
Gerry Hernandez
"TRF" Member

Icon20 Drsd

I am a newby...would like opinions. I own a DRSD which I bought in '75 in Little Switzerland in St. Thomas (I keep the original purchase invoice) The watch is all original but bezel fell off. Should I have it replaced by an authorized Rolex service rep or "leave as is?" By the way, I also keep the last "service receipt"
Your recommendations will be very welcome.
Gerry Hernandez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 April 2013, 03:43 AM   #2
Thatguy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, PAM
Did you lose the bezel? Pics?
Thatguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 April 2013, 04:03 AM   #3
joe100
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Explorer
So what is your question? The whole bezel assembly fell off or just the bezel insert? Photos?
Old 8 April 2013, 04:12 AM   #4
Vincent65
"TRF" Member

Hi and welcome - don't have ROLEX replace it with a service part - source a period-correct one, if the original is lost, I'd say. Place an ad 'want to buy' here and over on vintage rolex forum
Vincent65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 April 2013, 04:13 AM   #5
Gerry Hernandez
"TRF" Member

Only the bezel insert was lost. My question...is it worth it to fix it or just leave as is? At this time I have no photos but watch is all original, nothing has broken (bracelet, dome glass,etc.) and it works great. It is the watch I have and still wear daily. I was a pretty serious scuba diver back then...beautiful Caribbean waters filled with great colors, shapes and excellent seafood.
Old 8 April 2013, 04:16 AM   #6
Vincent65
"TRF" Member

see above!
Vincent65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 April 2013, 04:23 AM   #7
Gerry Hernandez
"TRF" Member

Vincent,
Thanks for your response...I will do a bit more research on my watch before I place ad to make sure I request the proper bezel insert...any idea what they sell for?
Thanks again.
Old 8 April 2013, 04:26 AM   #8
Puffy
"TRF" Member

you need a period correct bezel and bezel insert... look over on vintage rolex forum...

GL!!
Old 8 April 2013, 04:46 AM   #9
Jason71
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex/Tudor Divers
Pics!!!!

Just Say "NO" to Polishing
Card-Carrying Member of the Global Association of Retro-Grouch Curmudgeons
LIfe is too short to wear inexpensive watches
PLEXI IS SEXY
Jason71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 April 2013, 05:36 AM   #10
Frogman4me
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason71 View Post
pics!!!!
+1
Frogman4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 April 2013, 09:22 AM   #11
Mike1066
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16600
Pics!!!!
Old 8 April 2013, 10:33 AM   #12
cop414
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: 14060M
Pics would help but I agree to replace it with a proper period bezel.

Rolex Submariner 14060M
Omega Seamaster 2254.50
DOXA Professional 1200T

Card carrying member of TRF's Global Association of Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
TRF's "After Dark" Bar & NightClub Patron
P Club Member #17
2 FA ENABLED
cop414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 September 2018, 10:16 AM   #13
GerryJr
"TRF" Member

Sorry to resurrect an old thread from half a decade ago, but I have good reason to. The original poster was my father. I’m sad to say, but he has recently passed away. I remember many of the stories he used to tell me about it and his adventures under water. He was one of the few people who actually bought the watch for what it was supposed to do. He did very deep and technical dives, in addition to just having fun, collecting lobster from the ocean floor by hand.

The watch has moved on to me. I took it to the same watchmaker that has maintained the watch for the last 20 years or so to get an opinion. He informed me that the bezel insert is quite hard to find and they don’t have a detailed quote for me yet for restoring the watch to its former glory. Unfortunately, I didn’t think to take pictures before handing it off, but I’ll take and post pics when I pick it up, hopefully some time this week.

While going through my father’s belongings, I did not find a box or hang tags, but I did find the original sales receipt from 1977. The watch is missing the bezel insert altogether, but everything else seems to be intact. The movement is still smooth and everything seems good to go and original, with an even patina on the dial and hand lume. The watch is a mark 4 Double Red 1665, by the way.

I came across this thread while I was researching how to repair the watch with period-correct parts. It’s definitely not cheap. I fear I won’t be able to afford it, but we’ll see.

Plan B would be to sell the watch to a collector and pick up the 50th anniversary version of this watch, the 126600 “single red” 43mm Sea Dweller. While it wouldn’t be the actual watch he wore, it would be a fine homage to the spirit of why he wore it. It would be more practical for me since I wouldn’t be so afraid of damaging it and not being able to source parts.

So with that said, what do you guys think the watch is worth without the bezel? It’s sad to consider letting it go, but I honestly can’t afford to keep it. :(
GerryJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 September 2018, 03:41 PM   #14
exador
Banned

Probably about $30K and upwards. Great to remember your father, but I suspect you’d be too scared to wear it.
A period correct insert would start at around $1.5K, so if you don’t intend to keep the watch, may be better to sell as is...
exador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 September 2018, 03:50 PM   #15
R.O.L.E.X
"TRF" Member

Don't restore the watch with period-correct parts as this greatly harms the value of the watch.

The hands and dial in particular make a watch like this worth significantly more, if they are original. All you should consider doing is finding a correct insert yourself online, verifying it is genuine via this forum before purchasing it.

Don't have any 'restoration' done.
R.O.L.E.X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 September 2018, 11:46 PM   #16
DaytonaSubmariner
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Daytona
GerryJr.:
These watches are quite hard to come by in fully original, unrestored condition. Your father stated that he bought the watch in 1975, but it could actually be a 1974 or 1973 if it sat at the shop for a couple of years (I just purchased a 1974 DRSD that has original Rolex documentation stating that it was purchased in 1979).
If this watch is all original, as others have said, it'll be worth well over $30K, even with the missing bezel insert. If it's a Mark III dial, it could be closer to $40K.

I understand that you're hesitant to wear this watch due to value and not being able to repair it if something happens. The problem is, it's irreplaceable. There is only one of these watches that was your fathers. There will be some outlay of cash on your part to replace the bezel insert, but in the long run, I believe it would be worth it.

If I were you, I would 100% keep this watch. The value is going to go up on this watch. I would purchase a cheaper submariner type watch and wear that daily. Take your time and look for the correct bezel and when you find it buy it.
As long as the DRSD is running properly, just wear it on special occasions.

If it starts to run slow and is in need of a movement rebuild, just send it to Rolex and request that the O-N-L-Y rebuild the movement. No polishing, no replacement of the dial or hands, nothing else but the movement. If they will only do the entire refurbish with the full polish and replace all the parts the deem it needs, have them send it back with nothing done. I had those exact instructions for my 1973 GMT and Rolex just rebuilt the movement and left everything else alone.

Please, keep the watch. You'll regret it in the long-run.
DaytonaSubmariner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 September 2018, 12:53 AM   #17
southtexas
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Drsd

Sorry to hear of your father’s passing. Sounds like a great heirloom, plus it could continue to increase in value over time (or the bottom could fall out tomorrow, I suppose).

To answer your question- a bezel should cost you around $500. The correct insert could cost from $1500-$2000, depending on condition. You can view prices for similar watches sold, then subtract that total above from it to get a fair estimate for your watch. Finding those missing parts isn’t hard, just somewhat costly.

People here may tell you not to sell, but nobody knows your situation like you do. If selling the watch means the ability to finally replace that leaky roof, or pay for some other necessity, then I’m sure your father would’ve been happy to know he was able to help you out one last time.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do—and be thoughtful about how you go about it! Selling isn’t as daunting a task as you may initially think, and you’ll realize much more for it if you sell it direct to the market as opposed to flipping it to a dealer so that he makes the big profit.

Edit to add: I’m sure someone else has pointed you to this website, but just in case...go to doubleredseadweller.com to learn all about the various versions of this watch so that you’re fully educated on what you have. And don’t hesitate to come back here and ask all the questions you want to...there’s a lot of combined knowledge on this board.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Follow me on Instagram @ccrolex
southtexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 September 2018, 03:13 AM   #18
GerryJr
"TRF" Member

Thanks, everyone, for your insight.

My father's recollection, and what he originally said in this thread, is not 100% accurate. I have the original sales receipt; it's from 1977 (not 1975) and the serial number is in the 50 million range. Additionally, the bracelet is marked with 93150, so the chances of this being a mark IV is quite high and the chances of being a mark III is quite low. But I will inspect the dial with a loupe and be absolutely certain. I should have the watch back some time this week. And of course, I'll post pics.

I do need some clarification on a couple things, despite trying to research this on my own.

1. Are there differences in the bezel (not bezel insert) among any of the 1665 Sea Dwellers, double-red or otherwise? In other words, could I just buy any bezel for a 1665 and be good to go?
2. Just in case the watch does end up being a mark III, is there a difference in the bezel insert between the mark III and mark IV?
3. There is a chance I may need to replace the crystal (don't have an answer on this yet; polishing the existing crystal may be an option). What do I need to look for, here?

Plan A is to keep the watch and insure it. But what I will absolutely NOT do is wear it on special occasions. My dad wore it everywhere, all the time, no matter what. It would be completely against his spirit and personality to turn it into a safe-queen. In fact, "practical" was probably his favorite word. I'd like to wear it just like my dad did; 24/7, anywhere, and everywhere, and it'll never leave my wrist. Part of plan A is to insure the watch with an insurer that would be willing to pay for period-correct repairs to give me some piece of mind. I'm doing everything I can to make it work, financially.

This is a great community. Thank you all, very much. This is a very emotional time for me and it's hard to explain, but this chunk of metal with ticking parts brings tears to my eyes. Literally every picture we have of my dad has this watch in it. He used to teach me about scuba diving with it, and how it even helped save a life (I'll share that story later). There is just so much history with this watch, it's crazy. There's so much more to it than just being an heirloom or collector's item. My dad's story is worth making a movie for. I cried when I found this thread.
Old 11 September 2018, 05:33 AM   #19
exador
Banned

And get your post count up so we can see some pictures
exador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 September 2018, 09:55 AM   #20
DaytonaSubmariner
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by GerryJr View Post

My father's recollection, and what he originally said in this thread, is not 100% accurate. I have the original sales receipt; it's from 1977 (not 1975) and the serial number is in the 50 million range. Additionally, the bracelet is marked with 93150, so the chances of this being a mark IV is quite high and the chances of being a mark III is quite low. But I will inspect the dial with a loupe and be absolutely certain. I should have the watch back some time this week. And of course, I'll post pics.

I do need some clarification on a couple things, despite trying to research this on my own.

1. Are there differences in the bezel (not bezel insert) among any of the 1665 Sea Dwellers, double-red or otherwise? In other words, could I just buy any bezel for a 1665 and be good to go?
2. Just in case the watch does end up being a mark III, is there a difference in the bezel insert between the mark III and mark IV?
3. There is a chance I may need to replace the crystal (don't have an answer on this yet; polishing the existing crystal may be an option). What do I need to look for, here?

Plan A is to keep the watch and insure it. But what I will absolutely NOT do is wear it on special occasions. My dad wore it everywhere, all the time, no matter what. It would be completely against his spirit and personality to turn it into a safe-queen. In fact, "practical" was probably his favorite word. I'd like to wear it just like my dad did; 24/7, anywhere, and everywhere, and it'll never leave my wrist. Part of plan A is to insure the watch with an insurer that would be willing to pay for period-correct repairs to give me some piece of mind. I'm doing everything I can to make it work, financially.

This is a great community. Thank you all, very much. This is a very emotional time for me and it's hard to explain, but this chunk of metal with ticking parts brings tears to my eyes. Literally every picture we have of my dad has this watch in it. He used to teach me about scuba diving with it, and how it even helped save a life (I'll share that story later). There is just so much history with this watch, it's crazy. There's so much more to it than just being an heirloom or collector's item. My dad's story is worth making a movie for. I cried when I found this thread.
VERY sorry for your loss.
I can't imagine what you're going through. It is very hard when you lose a parent. I've lost both of mine too.

I'm so glad it's a possibility that you can keep it. I'm even more glad to hear that you'll wear it and enjoy it as he did.

I inherited my grandfathers 6263 PN. It brings chills to me everytime I wear it, and not because it's worth more than my house. I remember talking with my grandfather when I was young about the watch. He would use it to time lap at the various races he would attend (Pocono most notably). He didn't wear it for years as he was getting older. I always remembered it and it's part of the reason I'm into watches today.
I try to wear all my watches as much as I can as well. It's what they were made for.

If you do some searching on here, I'm sure you'll find all the answers to the questions you have. I'm no expert with the bezel and insert.
You can start by checking these links out:
http://www.drsd.com/watch-info/double-red-seadweller/
https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/re...ex-sea-dweller
DaytonaSubmariner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 September 2018, 10:11 AM   #21
bdex75
"TRF" Member

Watch: my money vanish
Sorry for your loss. Terrible to hear.

As for the watch. I would find a bezel insert, repair it and do exactly what you said. I sure it and wear it every day, just like your dad did.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
bdex75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 September 2018, 10:14 AM   #22
fusionstorm
"TRF" Member

Watch: various vintage
What an amazing thread. My condolences to Gerry Jr. Your father left you an awesome piece to remember him by!

Gone.....never forgotten: 14000 F, 14060 V COSC, PAM 048, 16623 F, 1680 MK V 3.1M, 16800 matte 8.3M & 1655 MK IV 7.4M
fusionstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 September 2018, 10:42 AM   #23
omitohud
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GerryJr View Post

1. The bezel is the same for all 1665. But be careful as it’s very similar to bezel for 5513.

2. I would say yes. Any mark 3 insert would work with mark 4 dial. But I would prefer long 5 or kissing 4 to go with mark 3 dial. I know it’s too many jargons, but if u google u can c pics of what I’m talking about.

3. If ur crystal is super dome, I would not replace it. But then again, it will not b water proofed. Or u could replace with service n keep the super dome. By itself it worth a tiny fortune.

Sorry for ur lost. I can’t bring myself to let go of something so meaningful. Good luck.

I blame it on autoconnect.
omitohud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 September 2018, 11:42 AM   #24
GerryJr
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by omitohud View Post
1. The bezel is the same for all 1665. But be careful as it’s very similar to bezel for 5513.

2. I would say yes. Any mark 3 insert would work with mark 4 dial. But I would prefer long 5 or kissing 4 to go with mark 3 dial. I know it’s too many jargons, but if u google u can c pics of what I’m talking about.

3. If ur crystal is super dome, I would not replace it. But then again, it will not b water proofed. Or u could replace with service n keep the super dome. By itself it worth a tiny fortune.

Sorry for ur lost. I can’t bring myself to let go of something so meaningful. Good luck.

So with regard to point 2, I can find plenty of info on what a mark 3 insert is supposed to look like, but the mark 4 information is somewhat incomplete. Could you please point me in the right direction for what to look for in a mark 4 bezel insert?

As far as point 3, aren’t they ALL superdomes? I’m missing something here.

Sorry for the dumb questions.
Old 11 September 2018, 01:39 PM   #25
omitohud
"TRF" Member

Actually there is no official designation for all insert, just loosely used terms to easily separate them. For your watch, I’m pretty sure mark 3 is fine, which is used from early to late seventies. Some of the fonts r thicker n some r thinner with some slight variation of the later ones. I know it’s confusing, it needs a whole article n most likely every one will disagree.

As to the super dome, if it looks like this pic below then it is, otherwise it’s a replacement. (Not my pic., mine in the safe)

omitohud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 September 2018, 01:59 PM   #26
GerryJr
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by omitohud View Post
Actually there is no official designation for all insert, just loosely used terms to easily separate them. For your watch, I’m pretty sure mark 3 is fine, which is used from early to late seventies. Some of the fonts r thicker n some r thinner with some slight variation of the later ones. I know it’s confusing, it needs a whole article n most likely every one will disagree.

As to the super dome, if it looks like this pic below then it is, otherwise it’s a replacement. (Not my pic., mine in the safe)

**removed image because my post count is too low**

The crystal doesn’t look like that, from my recollection at least. It’s definitely a dome, but not quite a bubble like that. I guess it’s been replaced.
Old 11 September 2018, 03:02 PM   #27
fusionstorm
"TRF" Member

Watch: various vintage
DRSD from latter half of the 70s should definitely have a MK 3 bezel insert.

Gone.....never forgotten: 14000 F, 14060 V COSC, PAM 048, 16623 F, 1680 MK V 3.1M, 16800 matte 8.3M & 1655 MK IV 7.4M
fusionstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 September 2018, 06:43 PM   #28
eton97
"TRF" Member

Watch: DRSD, 1675, 5167a
Plexi should look like this

eton97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 September 2018, 07:32 PM   #29
GerryJr
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eton97 View Post
Plexi should look like this

From memory, this looks right to me. So what does that mean? Is the crystal not original?
Old 11 September 2018, 08:02 PM   #30
GerryJr
"TRF" Member

One thing I haven’t considered is waterproofness. Would that be a problem with a watch of this vintage, assuming I get it serviced? I do plan on diving, fresh water, salt water, chlorinated water, hot tubs, and showers. It would literally never leave my wrist.