The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex Watch Reviews

Old 2 April 2019, 12:58 AM   #1
RolexReviews
"TRF" Member

Where to get a Rolex for review purposes? (Bobswatches, other online sites? etc)

Hello everyone, I just made a post and it instantly got deleted not sure why so I'm gonna try again without certain keywords that may have got it deleted

I am looking to review some Rolex Watches other than my family owns (Older Yacht-Master, Two Tone Subs etc)

and I recently saw a video review online and the guy said he got it (for two weeks and then will ship it back) from Bobswatches. I've seen more negative feedback then good about them on these forums so I'm a little on the fence about some things. If I was to ask them for a review unit (and they agreed to ship me one) they would most likely want to be mentioned in the online video review and I dont know if that would be a good idea leading people to that site? (they are RIP offs...? that's what some people claimed but I'm not sure if that was buying or selling to them or both)

Or if not them, do you guys have any suggestions where to get a review unit? (for 7 to 14 days)

I know this is probably the craziest question ever these forums have ever received but I have to ask it.

Looking to review something other than mentioned above

(from the south fl area if that matters)

EDIT: before anyone says it I'll say it, yes I know buying a watch to review would be the best thing do but unfortunately I don't have the money right now to buy a ton of watches (wish I did tho )
RolexReviews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 April 2019, 01:03 AM   #2
Fleetlord
"TRF" Member

Huh?
Fleetlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 April 2019, 02:04 AM   #3
Gaijin
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing your back.
Just so I understand this.

You get people/companies to ship you watches for one to two weeks, they do this trusting that you will return them and return them undamaged? So that you can review them. Do you pay them, do they pay you? None of this makes sense to me.

Do people really do that?
Gaijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 April 2019, 02:12 AM   #4
RolexReviews
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaijin View Post
Just so I understand this.

You get people/companies to ship you watches for one to two weeks, they do this trusting that you will return them and return them undamaged? So that you can review them. Do you pay them, do they pay you? None of this makes sense to me.

Do people really do that?
I've seen plenty of reviews online where people say "I want to give a special thanks to [person/store here] for giving me this watch to review. You could check them out in the link below"

And to answer your question about payment, I dont believe anyone pays anyone. I think it's just the reviewer giving the lender traffic to their website where potentially new customers can purchase some watches etc

What I think would make sense would be some Identification and maybe a hold on a credit card until the watch is returned. but I could be way off so take what I say with a grain of salt

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk
Old 2 April 2019, 02:14 AM   #5
zengineer
"TRF" Member

Ask Bob these questions. We aren't his agent.

I do have a Timex Indiglo I can loan you.
zengineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 April 2019, 02:15 AM   #6
RolexReviews
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zengineer View Post
Never said the forums was.

I was asking if Bob's is a good place to guide an audience too. Dont want my audience to get ripped off in anyway so if saving them money means I need to do it another way then so be it.

Old 2 April 2019, 02:15 AM   #7
Brew
"TRF" Member

Ran out of watches? Looks like you'll need a new name.
Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 April 2019, 02:19 AM   #8
RolexReviews
"TRF" Member

Hey Everyone,

I'm gonna go to YouTube and ask these questions instead. I thought asking here would be a good idea but it seems confusing and doesn't really make sense to these forums anyways.

People on YouTube have reviewed watches without any problems so I thought maybe someone here would point me in the right direction (is Bob's good source? no one seemed to see that part of the post?) but now I see that it was dumb of me to ask that here.

April fool of the day award goes to me

Old 2 April 2019, 03:07 AM   #9
Gaijin
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing your back.
Ok. Sorry, didn't mean to be rude. I see that you review Rolex on YouTube. Just watched your Basel review. Nicely done.
Gaijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 April 2019, 04:01 AM   #10
wesdaniel
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Varies
I know that Bob's and other sources provide watches to certain "influencers" and they most likely do that in exchange for mentions and advertisements on their videos.

I know that Teddy Baldassarre sometimes gets watches from Bob's and he plugs them on his channel. But, he has >85K subscribers. Watch companies are most likely to work out deals like this with very popular, highly watched channels.

I think that Bob's is a fine seller to try to advertise with and there are probably some others out there as well. You'd just have to get in touch with them, let them know who you are and see what kind of a deal you can work with them.

It's not a crazy question and it's not uncommon. I'd think it's pretty common in any business when an influencer or other content-creator has upwards of 100K subscribers.
wesdaniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 April 2019, 10:28 PM   #11
Aventura
"TRF" Member

You are lucky

Quote:
Originally Posted by zengineer View Post

I do have a Timex Indiglo I can loan you.
You're lucky to have a Timex Indiglo. At least you do not have to put in time frequently because it has variation of minutes per month. With the Timex you do not have that uncomfortable problem.
Aventura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 April 2019, 02:15 AM   #12
zengineer
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aventura View Post
You're lucky to have a Timex Indiglo. At least you do not have to put in time frequently because it has variation of minutes per month. With the Timex you do not have that uncomfortable problem.
It's got it's own problems. I put it in a casebudi to keep it in my truck and closing it kept the crown pushed in which lights up the dial...cooked the battery in a fee days.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
zengineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 April 2019, 02:44 AM   #13
watchmaker
TechXpert

Quote:
Originally Posted by RolexReviews View Post
Hello everyone, I just made a post and it instantly got deleted not sure why so I'm gonna try again without certain keywords that may have got it deleted

I am looking to review some Rolex Watches other than my family owns (Older Yacht-Master, Two Tone Subs etc)

and I recently saw a video review online and the guy said he got it (for two weeks and then will ship it back) from Bobswatches. I've seen more negative feedback then good about them on these forums so I'm a little on the fence about some things. If I was to ask them for a review unit (and they agreed to ship me one) they would most likely want to be mentioned in the online video review and I dont know if that would be a good idea leading people to that site? (they are RIP offs...? that's what some people claimed but I'm not sure if that was buying or selling to them or both)

Or if not them, do you guys have any suggestions where to get a review unit? (for 7 to 14 days)

I know this is probably the craziest question ever these forums have ever received but I have to ask it.

Looking to review something other than mentioned above

(from the south fl area if that matters)

EDIT: before anyone says it I'll say it, yes I know buying a watch to review would be the best thing do but unfortunately I don't have the money right now to buy a ton of watches (wish I did tho )
It is definitely possible a store might send you watches to review and return in exchange for mentioning them. You are asking how to become a social media influencer.

I mean no offence when I say this but having looked at your youtube channel, you only have 83 subscribers. That falls way short of what a company is going to want to see before they would think of getting involved with sending you watches. Realistically you are going to have to have over 50,000 subscribers + followers on social media (and that is a very generous minimum I have seen for far cheaper products so for luxury watches you could easily need over 100k)

You have to ask yourself why does a business use influencers? Are you meeting their need? They are not going to do this as a favour to you, they will expect results. No results, no free watches to play with for a week.

Hope this helps.
watchmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 April 2019, 03:14 AM   #14
RolexReviews
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by watchmaker View Post
It is definitely possible a store might send you watches to review and return in exchange for mentioning them. You are asking how to become a social media influencer.

I mean no offence when I say this but having looked at your youtube channel, you only have 83 subscribers. That falls way short of what a company is going to want to see before they would think of getting involved with sending you watches. Realistically you are going to have to have over 50,000 subscribers + followers on social media (and that is a very generous minimum I have seen for far cheaper products so for luxury watches you could easily need over 100k)

You have to ask yourself why does a business use influencers? Are you meeting their need? They are not going to do this as a favour to you, they will expect results. No results, no free watches to play with for a week.

Hope this helps.
completely understand. Was looking at the scope of things and trying to understand how all of the YouTubers handle these things.

Thanks for the response definitely gonna keep in mind what you have said and will update with you guys when I get to 50k subs

Old 3 April 2019, 04:04 AM   #15
watchmaker
TechXpert

Quote:
completely understand. Was looking at the scope of things and trying to understand how all of the YouTubers handle these things.

Thanks for the response definitely gonna keep in mind what you have said and will update with you guys when I get to 50k subs

I hope you make it happen. I’ve added one to your number of subscribers to help you along
watchmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 April 2019, 04:18 AM   #16
RolexReviews
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by watchmaker View Post
I hope you make it happen. I’ve added one to your number of subscribers to help you along
Thanks! definitely check out one of my Yacht Master reviews if you have the time and let me know what you think of the video capture and editing I've done

Old 4 April 2019, 12:48 AM   #17
Etschell
"TRF" Member

Watch: platinum sub
Quote:
Thanks! definitely check out one of my Yacht Master reviews if you have the time and let me know what you think of the video capture and editing I've done

why not establish a relationship with an AD and then do a plug for the AD in the video? seems like the best way to do it. you can film it in the AD.

25 or 6 to 4.
Etschell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 April 2019, 12:56 AM   #18
RolexReviews
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etschell View Post
why not establish a relationship with an AD and then do a plug for the AD in the video? seems like the best way to do it. you can film it in the AD.
I've thought about this as well, and it's a good idea.

The only thing about this is that would an audience trust a guys review of a watch that was only used for 1 day? that's the roadblock I am facing.

I'm more than sure I can film a watch at an AD in under an hour and be out of there hair. But is that a good enough review? that would mean little to none wrist time and long term experience.

Again, I have no problem filming at an AD but I don't think a "reviewer" only has things for a few hours and then expects people to spend thousands of dollars on them based on my few hours time with it.

A YouTube guy got a watch from Bob'
swatches for 2 weeks. That's plenty of time to figure out and film the way you'd want.

I could start off small time with watches try to guide traffic to an AD and then from there move on to full reviews. Lot of thinking needs to be done

Old 9 April 2019, 11:00 PM   #19
HOROLOGY HOUSE
Banned

Build an audience with what you have or can afford to buy in and flip, then approach some dealers.
Once you have an audience and If your content is good enough you'll get approached.
HOROLOGY HOUSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2019, 12:21 PM   #20
ILuvSubs
"TRF" Member

Hey HOROLOGY HOUSE, I love your YouTube reviews and great to see an Aussie coming up with content (with amazing macros) that rivals that of the WatchFinder videos

I watched your SLA017 review last night and have previously watched your Omega Seamaster Pro 300 review and I always love the minuscule details you highlight

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOROLOGY HOUSE View Post
Build an audience with what you have or can afford to buy in and flip, then approach some dealers.
Once you have an audience and If your content is good enough you'll get approached.
ILuvSubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2019, 03:01 AM   #21
Sergio25
"TRF" Member

lol how do u ask such question on a public forum ... if you dont know such questions you shouldnt start a business ...
Quote:
I've thought about this as well, and it's a good idea.

The only thing about this is that would an audience trust a guys review of a watch that was only used for 1 day? that's the roadblock I am facing.

I'm more than sure I can film a watch at an AD in under an hour and be out of there hair. But is that a good enough review? that would mean little to none wrist time and long term experience.

Again, I have no problem filming at an AD but I don't think a "reviewer" only has things for a few hours and then expects people to spend thousands of dollars on them based on my few hours time with it.

A YouTube guy got a watch from Bob'
swatches for 2 weeks. That's plenty of time to figure out and film the way you'd want.

I could start off small time with watches try to guide traffic to an AD and then from there move on to full reviews. Lot of thinking needs to be done

Sergio25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2020, 12:16 PM   #22
L_S_SHOE
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710LN, 16800
Where to get a Rolex for review purposes? (Bobswatches, other online sites? etc)

I know you mean well and I know there are plenty of people on YouTube making money reviewing various products, but I think you’re putting the cart before the horse, as the saying goes. First, I think you need to become an expert in whatever you’re reviewing. This is not required for every product but for certain products, like watches, it is. This will give you the credibility which you’ll definitely need because, let’s face it, watch people are a finicky bunch. Next, you’ll need to start generating high quality content on your own, unsubsidized. If you’re good at and if you become popular and you start getting hits, then you may receive offers to review watches. I’d also expect whoever provides you with the watch is going to require that you advertise for them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
L_S_SHOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2020, 12:25 PM   #23
2th_doc
"TRF" Member

If you find someone to give you a Rolex for a review. Ask them if they know anybody that can give me a GT3 for review.

2th_doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2020, 12:30 PM   #24
locutus49
Banned

Watch: Platona
Could I send you my new Ferrari to review? It is so fast I'm still vomiting from the nausea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2th_doc View Post
If you find someone to give you a Rolex for a review. Ask them if they know anybody that can give me a GT3 for review.

locutus49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2020, 12:37 PM   #25
interestedwatcher
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOROLOGY HOUSE View Post
This didn't age well.
interestedwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote