The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 2 April 2018, 10:51 PM   #61
toolr
2024 Pledge Member

Why would they redesign it, is it not popular? Are they having trouble selling new Subs?
toolr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 April 2018, 10:53 PM   #62
ROLEX MAN
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: you? "YES PLEASE"!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonStone View Post
Kind of like your font size and color choices?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shamorai View Post
I read your quote and then looked at your profile pic. Same! Lol
Thank-you for your positive comments!

it's not just about telling the time...

happy rolexing...

I'm just a man with a passion
ROLEX MAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 April 2018, 11:01 PM   #63
904VT
"TRF" Member

Watch: All Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by toolr View Post
Why would they redesign it, is it not popular? Are they having trouble selling new Subs?
We’re they having trouble selling GMT Masters though? Or even Kermits before that
904VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 April 2018, 11:33 PM   #64
siempreko
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sometimes
It all comes down to personal tastes... I loved the 5 digit sub, it was a classic! But, I flipped it and got a 6 digit. I love it even more!

I prefer the maxi case. It is a solid look, for a solid watch!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
siempreko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 April 2018, 11:36 PM   #65
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Originally Posted by RolexEDC View Post
If the slimmer lugs you guys are lusting for then Rolex made the luxury version of the sub its call the YM
Yup, but until the resale price soars up, the masses will want the subc.

AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 April 2018, 11:43 PM   #66
zaydans
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 116710
People are falling over themselves trying to get the current versions. Why would the redesign at all. By restricting supply they have bought themselves time. If it ain’t broke don’t fixed it......and they won’t for many years to come!!
zaydans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 April 2018, 11:47 PM   #67
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krash View Post
I agree with all of this, except I don’t think you’re (we’re) in the minority.

I see this behavior on car forums too. A specific car might have a huge following, sell well, and have dedicated forums, but yet there are always those who whine and complain about the latest design. Fact is, the updated models are better in every way, but yet there are still a noisy few who advocate for the previous model.

Supercase is here to stay folks.

Absolutely, the 6 digits are the majority. The whining over wait lists is annoying but understandable, but the whining over the supercase is just tragic, esp when the 6 digits are selling like never before and yet people still keep trying to suggest they are a mistake! Just so blindly tragic.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 April 2018, 11:59 PM   #68
semi-ambivalent
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Exactly.

Can't imagine the Sub getting a different case than the new GMT, and the GMT case changes are barely discernible to the point where they are insignificant.
Insignificant. And yet you noticed them.

Design is a curious and subtle thing, isn't it.
semi-ambivalent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 April 2018, 12:07 AM   #69
Wools
"TRF" Member

I must admit, I disagree with the opinion that the current incarnation of Submariner should be re-designed.

It's all subjective but after trying on 5 and 6 digit Submariners over the past few years, I adore the 6 digit and settled on that. The 5 digit is great but I prefer the higher quality feel and look of the 6 digit. For me, every generation of Submariner (Like most of the range) has improved every area of the watch that had gone before it. Evolution not revolution is used as a slight, but when the template is the Submariner, I think you have a winning combination.

In the end, most Rolex's are wonderful and everyone's version of perfect is different than the others. For me, older generation Sub's are classics but not for me.
Wools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 April 2018, 12:12 AM   #70
Krash
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sub, DJ41, GMT
Quote:
Originally Posted by semi-ambivalent View Post

Wrong. I didn’t notice them. People allege it’s different. I can’t tell.

Krash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 April 2018, 12:23 AM   #71
Unsubscriber
"TRF" Member

Well, for me, my 6.5" wrist, and my taste, even a slight tapering of the lugs would be a welcome change. The current iteration is beautiful – and maybe it's my wrist that should change – but it always looks a bit better on others than on me.
Unsubscriber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 April 2018, 12:28 AM   #72
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

Love the current Sub design. Looks like a 42mm diver that wears like a 40mm. That’s a heck of a design trick that is comfortable to wear all day, every day. No living on the past for me. You want a smaller Sub, there are decades of older models available. Rolex is looking to the future and giving us future classics that fit with today’s style.
Old 3 April 2018, 12:39 AM   #73
Watchflair
2024 ROLEX DATE-JUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 116500 116518LN
I can't imagine the current Sub design is going anywhere - it's perfect and what the mass market desires. Yes perhaps the movement will see an upgrade but I wouldn't expect much else.

Consider this:
It's still 40MM when the majority of dive watches are bigger than ever! The Maxi case in my opinion was designed to give more of a wrist presence without increasing the case size MM wise. This was their compromise against increasing market demand for larger case size.

The new Air King is 40mm...

The other benefit is longevity. This watch can be polished during service and still retain a full body for the years to come. The older watches no so much.
Old 3 April 2018, 12:42 AM   #74
dmash
"TRF" Member

They may not change the case much, but I definitely think they will make the bracelet wider and taper it. They have done this on the SD43 and they also improved the bracelet on the Deep Sea. It seems inevitable they're going to fix the bracelet on the Sub too, an entire diver bracelet revamp if you will. This would actually increase the real estate and move the design to an even more modern size. THIS makes sense........along with updating the movement.

Anybody wanting 5 digit measurement should forget about it, that's a pipe dream. Rolex just increased the Sea Dweller 3mm, why in the world would they decide to decrease the Sub?

Said it before on here, I'm giving it until Basel 2020 to see if they implement these things. Aside from wanting the above changes, this also gives a couple years for the market to cool off. Right now is practically the worst possible time to buy a luxury watch in recent history. You could get a BNIB SubC date for $7500 at the beginning of 2017, forget prices right now.
dmash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 April 2018, 12:45 AM   #75
Dr. Robert
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 1655
Just get a 16610 sub & you’re good to go, PS get one with lug holes
Old 3 April 2018, 02:19 AM   #76
Photovideopro
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060
With the new Pepsi out there now, it's clear that GMT's and Subs are going to stay super-cased for at least another generation (probably a decade?).

P.S. As an owner of the SubC, I find the watch to be VERY compact compared to practically all other major luxury watches in the same price point. It fits well on my flat 6.5 wrist. Older Subs are barely any smaller than the current ones. The main difference is the lug width. It's still 40mm.
Photovideopro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 April 2018, 02:26 AM   #77
Krash
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sub, DJ41, GMT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Photovideopro View Post
With the new Pepsi out there now, it's clear that GMT's and Subs are going to stay super-cased for at least another generation (probably a decade?).
100% correct.
Krash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 April 2018, 02:29 AM   #78
Speed
"TRF" Member

Nope. I’ll stand pat with my 5 serial. No need for a new Sub.
Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 April 2018, 02:42 AM   #79
sevykor
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shamorai View Post
Maybe the people complaining about the super case now may be impressed down the road when these start turning up with a few polishes done to them?

I love the super/maxi case. Gives the watch a robust, tool-like look.

Oh, and the corners of the lugs are great for cleaning under your fingernails!
Who ever does/did the polish on these 5-digit cases I see on the various pre-owned sites should be beaten with a stick by a Rolex rep. Regrettably, it is often butchered by an AD. I spoke with a former Rolex AD trainer (now retired) and he showed me the proper procedure on lugs. They should never be rounded on the edges and there is a specific grit/stone used to replicate the original finish. Most ADs either do not have the technique or the tools to get it right. Sold of my 16610 after an AD service polished it. I explicitly told him (and it was noted on the work order) NOT TO POLISH the case. The maxi lugs are a blessing for making the corrections needed after your AD ruins them.
sevykor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 April 2018, 02:49 AM   #80
Rashid.bk
"TRF" Member

Watch: 12800ft = 3900m
Quote:
I agree with all of this, except I don’t think you’re (we’re) in the minority.

I see this behavior on car forums too. A specific car might have a huge following, sell well, and have dedicated forums, but yet there are always those who whine and complain about the latest design. Fact is, the updated models are better in every way, but yet there are still a noisy few who advocate for the previous model.

Supercase is here to stay folks.

Exactly, like the E92 guys bitching about V8s and turbo charging when the new car is much faster and agile, with much more luxury and tech...yet no...V8 waaaahhh.
V8 sounds better, but that is it. The F80s are faster and much more advanced, period.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy11 View Post
It is amazing that Rolez is unable to design the perfect Sub that every person on planet earth adores and finds absolutely 100% perfected. I mean they ARE Rolex and everyone has the same tastes towards design. Weird....
Lol, people just want to be contrarians. No matter what manner of data is before them they want what they want. They know better than Rolex and will swear that Rolex made a "mistake" in the case design, it wasn't intentional or anything. This huge enormously successful company that sells every single Submariner it makes made an error according to them and now they wait for Rolex to back pedal and make amends with the world.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
Absolutely, the 6 digits are the majority. The whining over wait lists is annoying but understandable, but the whining over the supercase is just tragic, esp when the 6 digits are selling like never before and yet people still keep trying to suggest they are a mistake! Just so blindly tragic.
Tragedy indeed. They don't like ceramic bezels, they don't like the case, they don't like it because it's too square, too small, too shiny....the only thing they like is the clasp.
So they want Rolex to go back ten years and make a five digit skinny looking Submariner but with all brushed steel, because that makes anything tool like. I bet if they brushed all the surfaces of a Skydweller, someone would jump out the closet and proclaim that it's the perfect "tool" watch.

Does that even really exist for a middle class hard working member of society, a $9-15k "tool" watch....
For John Mayer sure, he could buy a Sub to throw around and a Patek to purposely dress down in and pick up dog poop...but that isn't the norm.

The Sub and its sales say it is perfect. And no one except five digit dreamers who probably don't or ever owned a SubC want a Submariner lite....
The irony is that these people scream for thinner lugs, more refinement visually, but then scream about it needing to be larger and nothing shiny, all brushed.

Can't you guys just go buy one of the millions of five digit watches that are floating around. Can't they all just go buy one of the five digit Pepsis that are circulating everywhere still...All they're gonna do is bitch about pcls and square lugs with a too much shiny bezel....irony.

Quote:
Originally Posted by semi-ambivalent View Post

I don't see a difference in the new case. Not curious or subtle just marketing mumbo jumbo. Based on this marketing mumbo jumbo, I myself believed the Submariner had been redesigned.
"Marketing", is a curious and subtle thing, isn't it.
Rashid.bk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 April 2018, 03:31 AM   #81
904VT
"TRF" Member

Watch: All Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
6 digit Sub with Glidelock is the best watch Rolex has ever made in my humble opinion
904VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 April 2018, 03:36 AM   #82
JR16
2024 Pledge Member

I’ll pile on... the most the case shape/design will change is to that of the new SS Pepsi, at least for the next 5 years. (IMHO)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
JR16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 April 2018, 03:40 AM   #83
Houston77
"TRF" Member

I for one am hoping for a sub redesign...

Houston77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 April 2018, 04:02 AM   #84
007_Omega
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer
I love 5 digit Rolex models but as others have stated the prices have gone crazy on certain models. They also don't have the build quality of the modern pieces and it's really hard to justify paying so much for a 5 digit when you take the original cost into account.

The biggest issue though are the bracelets. The hallow ones especially are simply garbage and you are paying serious money for something so subpar.

The big selling point for me on modern Rolex models are the bracelets. They are simply the best in the business in my opinion.
007_Omega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 April 2018, 04:14 AM   #85
49ers101hitters
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub, 2xDJ, Zenith
I for one am hoping for a sub redesign...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed View Post
Nope. I’ll stand pat with my 5 serial. No need for a new Sub.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007_Omega View Post
The biggest issue though are the bracelets. The hallow ones especially are simply garbage and you are paying serious money for something so subpar.
I may be in the minority here, but I actually prefer the five digit bracelets because they are lighter, easier to adjust and, in my opinion, more comfortable.
Old 3 April 2018, 04:31 AM   #86
JacksonStone
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 49ers101hitters View Post
I may be in the minority here, but I actually prefer the five digit bracelets because they are lighter, easier to adjust and, in my opinion, more comfortable.
I can understand them being lighter and possibly more comfortable, but I wouldn't have thought the pin-and-holes clasp was easier to adjust than the Glidelock. I haven't owned a five-digit Rolex, but I had a number of other watches with pin-and-hole adjustment, and I find the Glidelock is way easier to adjust. Omega's adjustable diver clasp is easier still, but that's a different matter.
JacksonStone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 April 2018, 04:33 AM   #87
Speed
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 49ers101hitters View Post

I dig ‘em as well. They are simple - and work!

While I don’t want a modern Sub - I’d love a 1680. A pity they’ve gotten pretty pricey. My fault for waiting.
Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 April 2018, 05:06 AM   #88
007_Omega
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer
Quote:
I can understand them being lighter and possibly more comfortable, but I wouldn't have thought the pin-and-holes clasp was easier to adjust than the Glidelock. I haven't owned a five-digit Rolex, but I had a number of other watches with pin-and-hole adjustment, and I find the Glidelock is way easier to adjust. Omega's adjustable diver clasp is easier still, but that's a different matter.
I don't think they are easier to adjust than glidelock or the easy link extension. As far as the lighter feeling, I guess but that just gives a cheap, rattly feeling for me. I completely understanding wanting a lighter watch though. I've noticed that some people who are a bit older, those used to the lighter watches back in the day, just aren't fans of the hefty chunks of steel modern watches have become.

I went watch browsing with the GF the other day and she tried on an Explorer I 36mm after I tried it on. Her first reaction was how cheap the bracelet felt and she was confused. That and how small the watch was but that's another story.

It's all opinion at the end of the day but I just cannot wrap my head around those older bracelets. Thankfully, Rolex remedied that and then some.
007_Omega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 April 2018, 05:19 AM   #89
49ers101hitters
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub, 2xDJ, Zenith
Quote:

I agree with you on the glidelock, but the thing is, only the submariner has the glidelock clasp. The rest of the Rolex line up has the easy link clasp. Yes, you get the half link but that only changes the fit slightly. The fine adjustments on the easy link clasp are really annoying to use since the holes are on the inside of the clasp.

On the other hand, every five digit bracelet has holes on the outside of the clasp. It takes just a few seconds to adjust the clasp with a ballpoint pen.

Old 3 April 2018, 05:21 AM   #90
toolr
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 904VT View Post
We’re they having trouble selling GMT Masters though? Or even Kermits before that
Actually yes and no... Kermit was a good seller but the 16710 wasn't that great a seller, you could find them at AD's for several years after they were discontinued.
Now of course they both sell at a premium which doesn't benefit Rolex at all, I don't see them going back just for nostalgia sake.
toolr is offline   Reply With Quote