The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 23 September 2018, 08:56 PM   #1
watchspike
"TRF" Member

Should I get one before the price increase?

Hello all, occasional lurker here making my introduction.

I've been an avid admirer of Rolex ever since my parents got me one as a gift for graduation many many moons ago now. That little Date no longer fits my wrists as I've grown older which is a shame as it's still the prettiest piece that I have.

My mother had a bit of history with owning Rolex watches and I remember being able to choose which Rolex i preferred as my graduation gift where my mother suggested I get the Kermit Sub, it was her personal preference. I should have listened to her now as that has skyrocketed since but I was drawn to the subtle simplicity of that beautiful silver oyster date.

I've since taken upon starting a collection a few years ago which consists of a Pepsi jubilee GMT 1, a BLNR, a TT date just and the aforementioned silver date. I also have a seiko and Tudor Pelagos in the collection.

My grail piece ever since the last Baselworld has been the new SS BLRO to complete my colourful GMT collection but that has become so hyped up that used prices are going for almost the same price as the WG BLRO!

Anyway, as per the title of the thread, I've been tipped off about the UK price increase and my local AD has the Z blue Milguass which is on my list but not near the top of the priority.

My question is should I get the blue Milguass before the price increase from my AD or should I get one of my more sought after pieces such as the Kermit or the LV/Deepsea at overinflated used prices?

I do also want to add a Daytona but buying one of those seems very complicated for the uninitiated.

Any thoughts or advice would be much appreciated.
watchspike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2018, 09:31 PM   #2
DPE
"TRF" Member

I think that only you can really answer your question. Why, because if you intend to buy the watches mentioned then it is only a case of When and not,.. If. So if you have the funds to do so it makes sense to buy before a price increase.
DPE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2018, 09:32 PM   #3
Sublovin
"TRF" Member

Watch: Lots
I will say the generic answer...get the one you want the most! Prices have gone crazy, and I feel at some point there may be a correction. Either way....if you buy what you really want, you will never be disappointed
Sublovin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2018, 09:48 PM   #4
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
I would get the blue Milguass and add it to your collection. It is low hanging fruit in a difficult market and I believe that at some point it holds the possibility to be very collectable. Not to mention it is a beautiful and cool watch. Good luck.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2018, 09:53 PM   #5
harvey
"TRF" Member

Firstly, saving 5% on a Zblue isn't that much in the scheme of things, especially if spending £6k now will impact getting what reference you really want.
harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2018, 10:38 PM   #6
GreatScott
"TRF" Member

No, absolutely not. You are not even excited writing about it. Save the cash for your Grails, and get on a waiting list to only pay retail.
GreatScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2018, 11:10 PM   #7
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Quote:
Originally Posted by watchspike View Post
My question is should I get the blue Milguass before the price increase from my AD or should I get one of my more sought after pieces such as the Kermit or the LV/Deepsea at overinflated used prices?
You should buy a watch because you want to own and wear it.
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2018, 11:13 PM   #8
Nikrnic
"TRF" Member

Watch: Blnr, Expll, Subs,
Ok I'm biased. It does work in any collection. .

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Nikrnic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2018, 11:16 PM   #9
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by beshannon View Post
You should buy a watch because you want to own and wear it.
This, 100% ^^^
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2018, 11:17 PM   #10
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

As above. get the one you want the most. Last week there was a Z-Blue and a Plat/Blue YM in my local AD window. I like the YM very much. I think it looks even better up close and personal. I gave some thought to buying it at the pre increase price. But the motivation isn't there. If I really want a particular watch I will find it, them start number crunching. Not the other way round. But I guess it's different for all of us.
Harry-57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2018, 11:17 PM   #11
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
5% is around £300 so not important, buy the watch you want to wear the most, period.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2018, 11:46 PM   #12
emtee
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
5% is around £300 so not important, buy the watch you want to wear the most, period.
Exactly this
emtee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2018, 11:59 PM   #13
Rolexavidfan
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
Unless you’re buying it because you like it or possibly flipping it, I would suggest saving up for your grail Rolex.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Go for the timepiece you love. You will save more. ...
Rolexavidfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 September 2018, 12:09 AM   #14
Nairn1980
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
Spot on
Nairn1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 September 2018, 12:10 AM   #15
Nairn1980
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolexavidfan View Post
Unless you’re buying it because you like it or possibly flipping it, I would suggest saving up for your grail Rolex.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Flipping a Z-blue bought even close to list price would give you a bloody nose.
Nairn1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 September 2018, 12:26 AM   #16
watchspike
"TRF" Member

She is a beauty in the picture above, really wanted one back when I got my BLNR but decided to get the batman as a was travelling a lot so found the GMT function far more useful.

The points made are all good, I also believe the milgauss has the potential to be a future classic a la the daytona so getting it now would make sense, especially as the price increase is due and the grey dealers are selling it used at nearly retail due to the SS rolex craze that's going on.

But as others have pointed out, by getting it now, it could prevent me from getting a more grail like watch in the near future. I could stretch to get the overpriced LV on the grey but then perhaps I'd be better off getting the Milgauss from my AD and build on my fleeting relationship with them.

I really regret not listening to my late mother and getting the kermit all those years ago. Heck I could have pick one up for under 5K even 3 years ago.

The biggest regret was passing up on a pre-owned blue dial AP RO chronograph from the same AD for 9K 2 years ago. Same model now going for almost 20k
watchspike is offline   Reply With Quote