The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Audemars Piguet Discussion Forum

Old 21 September 2019, 10:46 PM   #1
Horolojust
"TRF" Member

AP Royal Oak 15400 vs 15500 - Full comparison

Hi all,

I spent sometime putting these two together and talking about not only what’s actually different cosmetically and technically; but what I personally feel about the upgrade.

Enjoy the video below, and let me know what you guys feel about both of these, and especially the change.

Personally, I go 15300 > 15400 > 15500 in order of my liking and preference.

https://youtu.be/QebFRjkrCs8

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Horolojust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2019, 11:06 PM   #2
masterserg
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP
Very nice! I prefer the 400 (which I own) and might consider adding a grey 500 later on ... or hopefully they will release a white/silver in a few years.

The video is fantastic, as expected of you by now.
Old 21 September 2019, 11:31 PM   #3
benlee
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, AP, PP
Is it just me or the tappiserie squares looks bigger on the 500 compared to the 400 ?
Old 21 September 2019, 11:54 PM   #4
HL65
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: One on my wrist.
Haven’t warmed up to the 500 yet and always loved the 300 and 400.

SPEM SUCCESSUS ALIT
HL65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2019, 12:23 AM   #5
Ar_Mi
"TRF" Member

Watch: a few
Great review!
Is it me or does the 15500 look like it has slightly shorter lugs?
If you look at the very outer edge of both bezels at 12 and 6 o’clock, you will notice that the lugs on the 15500 are a tad bit shorter (closer to the edge) in comparison to the older 15400..
Adjustments.JPG

Ar_Mi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2019, 01:39 AM   #6
Sydny2
"TRF" Member

Watch: SubC, GMT
Very good comparison. Thank you!
Sydny2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2019, 02:24 AM   #7
Skyrider01
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ar_Mi View Post
Great review!
If you look at the very outer edge of both bezels at 12 and 6 o’clock, you will notice that the lugs on the 15500 are a tad bit shorter (closer to the edge) in comparison to the older 15400..
Attachment 1072219

Definitely seems like less space on the 15500, but I think it is because the bezel is larger and thinner than on the 15400.
Skyrider01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2019, 07:30 AM   #8
othertbone
Banned

Watch: Rolex/AP/Vin Omega
You all have to subscribe to Hafiz on youtube.

As you can see from this vid, he makes the most amazing video's with incredible camerawork on AP and others.

Support a fellow TRF'er and someone passionate about our hobby!
othertbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2019, 07:53 AM   #9
Famz_01
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP and Rolex
15500 dial looks too bland. I prefer longer hour markers on the 15400
Famz_01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2019, 08:05 AM   #10
JR16
2024 Pledge Member

That video was absolutely brilliant.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
JR16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2019, 08:39 AM   #11
Ar_Mi
"TRF" Member

Watch: a few
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyrider01 View Post
Definitely seems like less space on the 15500, but I think it is because the bezel is larger and thinner than on the 15400.
I don't think its the bezel that's longer, since they are both 41mm as per the AP website. I think the lugs are a bit shorter now, perhaps to compensate for the slight added thickness.

either way, thanks for posting Hafiz
Ar_Mi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2019, 09:08 AM   #12
Fat_ninja
Banned

Watch: P-01
Quote:
Originally Posted by benlee View Post
Is it just me or the tappiserie squares looks bigger on the 500 compared to the 400 ?
If u look at the AP it’s 2 across and 3 down. Looks same to me
Fat_ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2019, 09:39 AM   #13
Skyrider01
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
I don't think its the bezel that's longer, since they are both 41mm as per the AP website. I think the lugs are a bit shorter now, perhaps to compensate for the slight added thickness.

Yes, they are both 41mm in case diameter. But if you look at the 2 closely, it appears that the bezel on the 15500 is slightly thinner than on the 15400, and closer to the edge of the case. This will effectively increase the size of dial, which appears just slightly larger on the 15500 well.

I may be wrong, but that is my observation.
Skyrider01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2019, 10:10 AM   #14
epc2
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LV,Pam etc.
Nice Video.
epc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2019, 02:57 PM   #15
FWK
"TRF" Member

Great comparison. Both looks wonderful. But in the end I’ll have to give it to the 15400.
Way more classic and sophisticated. The 15500 is very modern looking and has gone with the trends right now. That will date it more than the 15400 in 10 years.
FWK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2019, 06:08 PM   #16
ikincooper
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many
Another great vid Hafiq. Your close up shots are amazing. I cannot wait to finally get a RO once my name comes up. Keep up the great work

ikincooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2019, 06:14 PM   #17
Xamy
Banned

Great video
Xamy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2019, 09:04 PM   #18
FHFinster
"TRF" Member

AP Royal Oak 15400 vs 15500 - Full comparison

Great video. I’ve seen several that you’ve produced and have always enjoyed them.

Thank you for your contribution.
FHFinster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2019, 10:02 PM   #19
Horolojust
"TRF" Member

Quote:

You could be right. I didn’t notice it really. I’ll have a closer look again, and update with a Photo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HL65 View Post
Haven’t warmed up to the 500 yet and always loved the 300 and 400.

Neither have I

Quote:
Originally Posted by benlee View Post

No, it’s just that camera lens is a bit closer to grey 15500 so the squares look bigger. They’re otherwise 100% identical.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydny2 View Post
Very good comparison. Thank you!

Thanks so much :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR16 View Post
That video was absolutely brilliant.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Many thanks for watching and the feedback :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by masterserg View Post
Very nice! I prefer the 400 (which I own) and might consider adding a grey 500 later on ... or hopefully they will release a white/silver in a few years.

The video is fantastic, as expected of you by now.

I have both and still prefer 15400
Thanks so much for watching and the feedback.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FHFinster View Post
Great video. I’ve seen several that you’ve produced and have always enjoyed them.

Thank you for your contribution.

Thanks so much for watching my videos and the support. Keep it coming pls :)

Quote:
Great review!
Attachment 1072219

Great observation mate. I think you’re spot on and I never noticed it myself. Now I’m going back to my gallery and every photo seems to suggest what you’ve said. I’ll have a closer look again and update you here. Anoher photo from my gallery in the interim:

Quote:
Yes, they are both 41mm in case diameter. But if you look at the 2 closely, it appears that the bezel on the 15500 is slightly thinner than on the 15400, and closer to the edge of the case. This will effectively increase the size of dial, which appears just slightly larger on the 15500 well.

I may be wrong, but that is my observation.

Yes, I think that’s the case. I’ll double check as I wasn’t aware of it myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikincooper View Post
Another great vid Hafiq. Your close up shots are amazing. I cannot wait to finally get a RO once my name comes up. Keep up the great work

Thanks so much for watching and the support. All the best for your RO :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Famz_01 View Post
15500 dial looks too bland. I prefer longer hour markers on the 15400

15400 any day of the week for me. 15500; I’m still not sure.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FWK View Post
Great comparison. Both looks wonderful. But in the end I’ll have to give it to the 15400.
Way more classic and sophisticated. The 15500 is very modern looking and has gone with the trends right now. That will date it more than the 15400 in 10 years.

I completely agree with you. 15400 retains the RO characteristics. 15500 has gone far too off and looks just something else. still beautiful but something else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat_ninja View Post
If u look at the AP it’s 2 across and 3 down. Looks same to me
Agreed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xamy View Post
Great video

Thanks so much.
Quote:
Originally Posted by othertbone View Post
You all have to subscribe to Hafiz on youtube.

As you can see from this vid, he makes the most amazing video's with incredible camerawork on AP and others.

Support a fellow TRF'er and someone passionate about our hobby!

Thanks so much my friend for all the support. I really need more friends like you
Thanks again and pls keep the support coming.

Quote:
Originally Posted by epc2 View Post
Nice Video.

Thanks so much.
Quote:

Thanks so much for watching. Yeah 15500 is thicker and that could be the reason. I’ll have a closer look again and update.

Old 22 September 2019, 10:38 PM   #20
JohnGT3RS
"TRF" Member

Very nice video. I also enjoyed the one comparing the 15400 and 26331.
JohnGT3RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2019, 11:48 PM   #21
RolexZen
"TRF" Member

Watch: No Rolex
Nice video. And good follow-up questions on here. Would be interesting if you could take a pair of calipers and determine if the bezels are actually different widths. And measure the lug-to-lugs while you’re at it. :-)

Seriously, answers here would be great, but you could even consider a follow-up Q&A video where you demonstrate the caliper readings and answer other questions. Just a thought. You do a great job with your videos.

I appreciate you pointing out that the choice is the 15500 if you’re looking for a sportier look, vs the 15400 if looking for more elegant or more traditional or dressy look. But I think a couple other points could be made. 1. If someone is looking for that more traditional or dressy look, they’ll have to turn to the 15202 or the second-hand market for the now discontinued 15400 (unless a lucky NOS find), and 2. the 15500 was designed to further differentiate it from the 15202, and in that, I think AP succeeds. The 41mm is no longer just the larger choice of Royal Oaks (or often the compromise choice when a Jumbo is unavailable).

Myself, I prefer some things from each watch, but I would never consider a 15400 since I do have a Jumbo. But I might one day consider a 15500.

Oh, one thing that I had not noticed on the 15500 before that your video revealed to me—the octagonal center core of the skeleton rotor with the beveled edges. I love it!
RolexZen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2019, 12:27 AM   #22
Horolojust
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RolexZen View Post
Nice video. And good follow-up questions on here. Would be interesting if you could take a pair of calipers and determine if the bezels are actually different widths. And measure the lug-to-lugs while you’re at it. :-)

Seriously, answers here would be great, but you could even consider a follow-up Q&A video where you demonstrate the caliper readings and answer other questions. Just a thought. You do a great job with your videos.

I appreciate you pointing out that the choice is the 15500 if you’re looking for a sportier look, vs the 15400 if looking for more elegant or more traditional or dressy look. But I think a couple other points could be made. 1. If someone is looking for that more traditional or dressy look, they’ll have to turn to the 15202 or the second-hand market for the now discontinued 15400 (unless a lucky NOS find), and 2. the 15500 was designed to further differentiate it from the 15202, and in that, I think AP succeeds. The 41mm is no longer just the larger choice of Royal Oaks (or often the compromise choice when a Jumbo is unavailable).

Myself, I prefer some things from each watch, but I would never consider a 15400 since I do have a Jumbo. But I might one day consider a 15500.

Oh, one thing that I had not noticed on the 15500 before that your video revealed to me—the octagonal center core of the skeleton rotor with the beveled edges. I love it!

Thanks so much for taking time out to point out all the additional notes and where I could have improved.

Follow up Q&A is definitely a great idea, and yes, I request you all to leave the queries and questions here. I will do a follow up video to confirm the bezel thickness or if there is any difference in the lug to lug etc.

I agree with you, that 15500 is a good alternative even if you have 15202, and AP have succeeded in that. I did point this out in my video but probably I could have been more elaborative.

Thanks again for all the points, I’ll take a note to cover that in my follow up video, especially the octagonal centre core of rotor :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 24 September 2019, 12:01 AM   #23
RolexZen
"TRF" Member

Watch: No Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by Horolojust View Post
Thanks so much for taking time out to point out all the additional notes and where I could have improved.

Follow up Q&A is definitely a great idea, and yes, I request you all to leave the queries and questions here. I will do a follow up video to confirm the bezel thickness or if there is any difference in the lug to lug etc.

I agree with you, that 15500 is a good alternative even if you have 15202, and AP have succeeded in that. I did point this out in my video but probably I could have been more elaborative.
You did point it out. I guess I’m just saying that the 15400 is less complimentary/almost redundant if you already have a 15202.

Quote:
Thanks again for all the points, I’ll take a note to cover that in my follow up video, especially the octagonal centre core of rotor :)

Awesome. Let us know when you post again on YT!
RolexZen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 September 2019, 12:55 AM   #24
Halothane
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex, Patek
Excellent review and video! This was very helpful. Subscribed!
Halothane is offline   Reply With Quote