The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 27 November 2011, 08:19 AM   #1
Clay
Banned

"Full Sets"....What are they really???

With my Zenith Daytona away being serviced all I have left to look at are the box and papers....
It got me to thinking.....
To most people I'm sure the ultimate prize is their dream watch, in pristine condition, complete with Box and Papers.....
But was exactly is complete???
And is more "stuff" better???
Here's what I mean....As I'm sure most people know, when a Rolex is sent to an AD, it does NOT come in it's presentation box with all of the "goodies" attached...It comes wrapped separately.
The boxes, booklets, anchors, (When they were part of the gag) polishing clothes, etc. all come separately.
When a watch is purchased, these things are cobbled together and given to the customer.....But here's the thing, not every customer gets the same "stuff".....
They may very well be out of this or that, or simply forget to give something to you....
Example: When I bought the only NEW Rolex I ever purchased back in the '80's, I was not given, for example, a bezel protector, polishing cloth or one of the booklets that seem to have come with most Submariners. (At the time of course I had no idea that I was missing anything)
As long as one has the original Chronometer Certificate and the Hang Tag with matching serial number, all the rest of the nicks and nacks can easily be purchased separately from any number of sources....
So here's my question....Does anyone really know what originally came with a particular watch??? (Unless you were the one who bought it)
And does it really matter???
If you have the Original paper work and Hang Tag, is it then sacrilege to go out and purchase, say, the missing "outer Box", or a Polishing cloth, etc.
Personally I think not.....
So the next time you see that "Original Complete Set" being sold, remember this post...
Just food for thought...Cheers all....
Clay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 November 2011, 08:40 AM   #2
Beaumont Miller II
"TRF" Member

Clay I have thought about this as well. With the exception of a period correct outer box for my 6265 Daytona, I have resisted going out and "completing" the sets I own. I think someone with a lot of knowledge can probably tell a "put together" set from one that is all original. I say this because not all anchors are the same, the booklets are dated and in different languages, many fake booklets abound, and some of the ephemera may have not been released in certain markets. If someone caught an incorrect addition to an otherwise correct full set it might cast doubt on the other pieces. However if done correctly I do think all the extras do add value. For some it's what collecting is all about.
Old 27 November 2011, 08:44 AM   #3
Jagatai
"TRF" Member

Great post clay. My 5513 came with a nonchronometer certificate (of course) and an inner box. I have been tempted several times to go after an anchor, outer box or booklet but have held off precisely because of what you have written about. I trust the dealer who sold me he watch. I like the watch and it is my everyday wearer. I have looked up the shop and they do still exist, beyond that I like that my watch was purchased in Vienna. I have been tempted to contact them and ask them if they have any records of my watch and ask them what else came with the purchase of a rolex sub in 1981. But I think my limited expertise will be spotted immediately by knowledgeable collectors. So I leave it be. Save for the next one instead.
Jagatai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 November 2011, 09:28 AM   #4
BB83

Watch: Daytona
Clay, did I miss pics of your new baby? Pls post the link if so, would love to see it. A Zenith Daytona is the watch I wear more than any other...
BB83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 November 2011, 09:36 AM   #5
Michael M.
Banned

I have thought of this countless times to, I've handled a 5513 Gilt Original Owner & all it came with was the outer & inner box & the guarantee card along with a sub brochure....no anchor! Great post by the way....
Michael M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 November 2011, 10:01 AM   #6
matt4hand
Banned

Watch: Tramp
Food for thought indeed my friend
matt4hand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 November 2011, 10:56 AM   #7
Clay
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BB83 View Post
Clay, did I miss pics of your new baby? Pls post the link if so, would love to see it. A Zenith Daytona is the watch I wear more than any other...
Here you go...Pre-service...

Clay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 November 2011, 01:38 AM   #8
davidf
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMTII
I think that a lot of buyers put value on the "set" as well as the watch. When I bought my GMT II off TRF last year, it came with inner/outer boxes (with correct model sticker on outer box), all booklets (2 I believe), the COSC, a wallet for the cosc and the calendar from those years, green and red hangtags and the previous owner even took off the back sticker on placed it on a sheet of Rolex stationary. Very anal but for some reason, it helped me choose that particular watch to buy. Each to his own I guess.

At the end of the day, it really only matters that the watch is a genuine rolex.
davidf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 November 2011, 01:41 AM   #9
Jagatai
"TRF" Member

gorgeous watch clay!
Jagatai is offline   Reply With Quote