The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 1 August 2018, 11:34 PM   #31
Hodog16
"TRF" Member

Watch: RG Olive DD40
I guess if you are really adamant about this, the new rose gold GMT is listed by grey market sellers at MSRP or even above MSRP--doesn't mean it'll be purchase at that price. This is strictly because it's a new model though and not going to hold forever.
Hodog16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 August 2018, 12:56 AM   #32
envuks
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Why not just buy a PM Daytona and be done with it? Then get the ss Daytona and flip it to cover a portion of the PM version.... seems like a winning approach to me.

You’ll end up with a PM watch at a substantial discount at the end.

“A man with one watch always knows what time it is. A man with two watches is never sure.”
envuks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 August 2018, 01:21 AM   #33
TomA
"TRF" Member

The new Rose gold CHNR is your best bet.

Watchfinder is selling one at £6k over list, so they'd probably offer you close to list to buy it.

All of the AD's i have spoken to don't have a list for this piece so i'm not sure why it's listed at a premium.

On another note however i can almost guarantee you won't get the Daytona for some time after even with this purchase, expect a 1-2 year wait.
TomA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 August 2018, 01:56 AM   #34
MinMay
Banned

Any gold rolexes that sell for above or near retail

Just buy the Daytona at grey market price. A year later sell it for same price and break even while you wait for AD. Who knows which path life will take you after tomorrow. It’s not complicated.
MinMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 August 2018, 02:01 AM   #35
OCAlan
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710BLNR
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamnyc View Post
116595rbow
What he/she said.
OCAlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 August 2018, 02:08 AM   #36
T01
"TRF" Member

No, PM pieces can almost always be had a significant discount, excluding fresh basel releases. Those even drop quickly, typically only right out of the gate are they at MSRP.
T01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 August 2018, 02:09 AM   #37
huncho
2024 Pledge Member

get a new AD
huncho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 August 2018, 02:24 AM   #38
sechsgang
"TRF" Member

if you could buy a bnib yellow gold green dial Daytona for 30-31k, you can probably sell it unsized, unworn with stickers on for like 28k...you'd actually be ahead by the time you got your Daytona ceramic...those have been pretty hot.
sechsgang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 August 2018, 05:09 AM   #39
StrongDGame
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex no date sub
AD's are the worst people! My friend literally bought the Daytona walking into a CD Peacock (an AD in Chicago). We were just window shopping and went into the store and he was telling the salesperson how much he loves the Daytona and that he wishes someone would have one (mind you, the person first said that there's a huge waitlist when the convo started). After about an hour, the "manager" who is standing around with us is like "hey I think we might have a Daytona in the back that someone backed out on". Right away I smelled bs about this whole "waitlist" and "preferred customers" game they play. Needless to say, my friend went from window shopper to walking out with a Daytona........meanwhile, I was on a waitlist for 6 months for a no-date sub (which I just ended up buying NIB from a gray market for $100 more than retailer).
StrongDGame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 August 2018, 06:25 AM   #40
eitang
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsausley View Post
If a dealer can guarantee you'll get a Daytona in a reasonable timeframe (I'd say less than 3 months), and you can buy a gold watch and lose less than 15% on it by flipping it immediately, and that 15% is less than the premium to buy the Daytona on the grey market, you'll come out ahead. I don't think you'll find a Daytona anywhere right now without being a VVVVVIP or buying grey.

You'll have to do the math but the Daytona is probably the only watch that this strategy will work for.

Ex:

Buy gold DJ for retail. I like the 126301, if it'd qualify at your AD. Pay $12,300 (plus taxes, let's say 7%, so $13,161) for the watch, flip it and sell it for 15% off at $10,500, lose $2,661.

Now buy a Daytona for retail 3 months later at retail ($12,400) plus tax, so $13,268. Add in your $2,661 loss and you're at $15,929 for your Daytona, which is about $2-3k less than going rate right now.

So is it worth the risk and work for a $2-3k discount off of grey market? Bonus is you're also building a relationship with your AD (as a sucker, probably).
What about doing this with the white gold 116519 maybe and getting it at a discount. What kind of discount, if any, do you think an AD like Torneau would give on this? Thanks!
eitang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 August 2018, 07:12 AM   #41
Spoonage
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eitang View Post
I agree....and I figured it wasnt worth it but it didnt hurt to ask. I guess there really is no way for me to get the daytona at retail. I guess the best thing to do is wait? Any other way to get this watch retail?
Get a new AD. I walked into my AD, asked for a white SS DaytonaC, 3 months later I picked it up. To be fair, I am very friendly with the staff and stop by often to say hi, and talk to them about watches AND other things. They need to know you and know you're not going to flip it for extra coin.
Spoonage is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2 August 2018, 07:18 AM   #42
supersanj
"TRF" Member

I'll do you one better. Visited my local AD about the TT CHNR, just wanting to inquire and see when they would be expecting one as I am in the market to buy one. In person, the salesperson was very friendly and welcoming, gave me the whole BS about they won't get another one this year, etc etc. Then moved on to showing me some DJ models.

Fast forward two days, get a text explaining that if I buy a DJ now, it would "increase my chances" of getting the first CHNR that they get. Then on top of that, she says that we have been "packaging" high demand items with PM watches for all their customers. I basically told her to take a hike and started exploring other ADs/options. I understand they have to make a living and keep the lights on but I struggle to understand the math here.

I'm in the market for a $14,000 watch. What in the f'ing world is going to make me purchase a $8,000~(roughly) watch that I could care less about to MAYBE have the opportunity to buy the watch I want PLUS another $20-40,000 watch that I also don't give a flying F about. If I wanted to spend 30 grand to begin with, I'd go buy the AP or PP that I'm lusting after, but the GMT really catches my eye. And we aren't even talking about a Daytona or BLRO that seems to be "unattainable."
supersanj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 August 2018, 07:32 AM   #43
nektar
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060
Quote:
Thanks. Im new to the watch game and my AD wants me to buy a gold watch before they sell me SS daytona ceramic....I would like to be able to flip the gold watch for the same as I purchased and keep the daytona....which gold watch would you go with?
Risky game.. Good luck!
nektar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 August 2018, 09:44 AM   #44
alubin
"TRF" Member

Watch: All please!
Quote:
Im wondering if there are any current gold rolexes that sell for above retail or near retail on the secondary market? Thanks!
all the ceramic/oysterflex daytonas retain their value nicely. The rest is pretty shameful though.
alubin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 August 2018, 09:45 AM   #45
alubin
"TRF" Member

Watch: All please!
Quote:
Thanks. Im new to the watch game and my AD wants me to buy a gold watch before they sell me SS daytona ceramic....I would like to be able to flip the gold watch for the same as I purchased and keep the daytona....which gold watch would you go with?
White gold oysterflex daytona
alubin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 August 2018, 09:46 AM   #46
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
You will lose on all the PM models, except the new everrose rootbeer. Buy that one. And get a new AD.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote